• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Devil May Cry 5 Review Thread

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Wow yeah. I just looked it up to confirm

guess I was fooled back when this game came out.
It was an odd method and upscale differently to other games
As it actually renders at a 4:3 resolution and then scales to 16:9

Shifty

mistaken
MGS4 needs a Remaster
not even close, it's had an weird 1024x768 resolution
I remember feeling like MGS4 could have really used a port back when I replayed it. Putting on the night vision goggles only to have the game jump to a smooth 60FPS was just like alas... What could have been...

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
AV AV on my Fantasy Critic league is about to get 18 freakin' points for this one.

tenor.gif

Bryank75

Banned
Deserves a slightly higher meta, I hate this rut that gaming has got into that only Nintendo's AAA games, GTA, Kojima, and one or two others are permitted to ascend above 93%.

60% or less reviews of this game should be discarded... every gamer interprets 60% or below as a very basic game that has massive flaws and technical problems. It doesn't fit the game and is very misleading.

blackjon24

How do I beat mission 19? Maybe I need 5 gold orbs.

For me just fighting him over and over again and eventually he becomes easy to figure out. Easily the best fight in the game just enjoy it.

Lol I'd love to see this fight with somebody using 5 orbs I honestly wouldn't believe it unless i saw it

Last edited:

Dante83

Banned
Now that I have played the game multiple times after beating it, the flaws become very apparent and the level design is not that much better than the previous games. Repetitive and uninspired levels halfway till the the end of the game, boss gauntlet section with V, showing even more repetition, poor UI design where everything has to have loading screens even for loadouts and poor pacing.
The thing is, the game has so much fan service and nostalgia that I kind of forgave it when I played it the first time, but after playing it more, and the nostalgia wears thin, you can see the apparent flaws.

I will go as far and say that even DmC had better pacing and UI to me. DMC5 will always have the deeper gameplay, but feels like a dated 2000 era type of game.
I don't know if this is the last DMC game, but I wish there is another one in the future where capcom finally streamlines the game properly and pace it correctly.

Last edited:

Nickolaidas

I loved this part in the Eurogamer review where it is basically text accompanying a picture of Nico:

"
Nico's new to Devil May Cry 5, though like Lady and Trish she's confined to a supporting role. It's teased that Devil May Cry's women will have a starring role in the not-so-distant future, though."
It's like they're trying to tell the feminists, 'Don't worry, folks! It's not just about straight white males!! You'll be able to control women, too!'

Last edited:

Hotspurr

Banned
I loved this part in the Eurogamer review where it is basically text accompanying a picture of Nico:

"
Nico's new to Devil May Cry 5, though like Lady and Trish she's confined to a supporting role. It's teased that Devil May Cry's women will have a starring role in the not-so-distant future, though."
It's like they're trying to tell the feminists, 'Don't worry, folks! It's not just about straight white males!! You'll be able to control women, too!'

I think there is more to it than that. The women characters in this game got absolutely almost no screentime or story relevance. A lot of fans were disappointed as it would be sweet to have them playable or have more of a story around them. I really hope that DLC comes.

TeamGhobad

Banned
I played the first chapter cause its free on Gamepass and it's everything I hate.

1. Nonsensical corny story about demons taking over earth.
2. Button mashing combat.
3. Completely linear maps blocked by invisible walls that won't let you pass until you defeat all the enemies in the room like its a ps2 game.
4. Combat is constantly interrupted by long cutscenes every 20yards.
5. Corny characters, corny dialogue.
6. Japanese.
7. Meny system to buy new abilities.
8. Japanese.

First and last DMC game i played. Don't understand why this game is popular. it plays like an early xbox360 game from a shitty developer.

FranXico

I played the first chapter cause its free on Gamepass and it's everything I hate.

3. Completely linear maps blocked by invisible walls that won't let you pass until you defeat all the enemies in the room like its a ps2 game.
6. Japanese.
8. Japanese.

First and last DMC game i played. Don't understand why this game is popular. it plays like an early xbox360 game from a shitty developer.
DMC originally was a PS2 game and most of the points listed above are seen as a good thing by series fans.

I guess it's really not for you.

Not sure what you expected. 🤷‍♂️

6. Japanese.
8. Japanese.

1. Looks for story in a DMC game.
2. No wonder he only played the first chapter.
3. I mean, yeah. Hell be to the game to force you to play it, I just want to keep moving forward to claim fake progress and fun.
4. Completely skippable, not to mention I wouldn't say 10 seconds to 2 minutes is long.
5. Ehhhh, sure. (AKA the best parts)
6. I mean, yeah it's from the Japanese, if that was your something bad then I think the name 'CAPCOM' should've set off some flares.
7. What do you want? Hahaha, a level system that requires the grind.
8. Yes, Japanese.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum

6. Japanese.
8. Japanese.

Is this a serious post? You put “Japanese” twice in your list, why did buy clearly “Japanese” game if don’t enjoy them?

Shifty

6. Japanese.
8. Japanese.

Yo this is some top-shelf scrubquotes material.

decisions

6. Japanese.
8. Japanese.

You sound extremely close-minded and as someone who is hesitant to use this term, slightly racist. Saying a game is “Japanese” is not a valid complaint. Maybe you could mention some of the trends of Japanese development present here that you dislike. This reads like a troll post. Probably one of the most mechanically sound games of all-time and you have all these immature complaints about how it plays.

TeamGhobad

Banned
You sound extremely close-minded and as someone who is hesitant to use this term, slightly racist. Saying a game is “Japanese” is not a valid complaint. Maybe you could mention some of the trends of Japanese development present here that you dislike. This reads like a troll post. Probably one of the most mechanically sound games of all-time and you have all these immature complaints about how it plays.

its a ps2 game with current gen graphics. im sorry if i offended you, but i despise japanese games. its all fluff no content.

• Triggered
Reactions: Isa

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
hence why i only played the first chapter, hated it, uninstalled it.
The problem is your original post sounds like someone who is not in to video game at all trying to play video game for first time and then wondering why the game is popular. No offence but your so called “issue” with the game makes it really hard to take your opinion seriously.

Reactions: Isa

TeamGhobad

Banned
The problem is your original post sounds like someone who is not in to video game at all trying to play video game for first time and then wondering why the game is popular. No offence but your so called “issue” with the game makes it really hard to take your opinion seriously.

I am into videogames, good videogames that offer more than slicing monsters on a linear path with a story only a 5year old would think is cool.

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
its a ps2 game with current gen graphics. im sorry if i offended you, but i despise japanese games. its all fluff no content.

Says they hate Japanese games.

Tries Japanese game.

Hates it.

Shocked I tell you! Shocked!

Maybe its popular because it's good?

Not for you doesnt mean not good.

Shocking!

hence why i only played the first chapter, hated it, uninstalled it.

It is far easier to hate something everyone loves than to love something everyone hates. But overall this feels like the most bait post I've ever read for DMC5. It would be far more believable for you to say that DMC:dmc definitive edition (which is also on gamepass) is deeper and more complex. Nice try though.

TeamGhobad

Banned
It is far easier to hate something everyone loves than to love something everyone hates. But overall this feels like the most bait post I've ever read for DMC5. It would be far more believable for you to say that DMC:dmc definitive edition (which is also on gamepass) is deeper and more complex. Nice try though.

what are you suggesting? that i actually liked the game?

what are you suggesting? that i actually liked the game?
I'm stating that it's far more likely that:
1) since the game was popular you went in with higher than normal hopes and got disappointed due to being overly hopeful of your first DMC game and thus was much more harsher on your judgement and scrutiny than on other games.
2) you don't actually care for the game rather than hating it and just decided to say very scrub tier words just to get some reaction. evidenced by you stating that you dislike Japanese games twice.

As stated in my previous quote, if you actually feel some shred of intrigue at what the game may be like as developed by the West I implore you to take a look into DMC:dmc as it was a reboot of the series that has a much more distinct western vibe, developed by Ninja Theory, a game publisher that may be more up your alley.

Last edited:

TeamGhobad

Banned
I'm stating that it's far more likely that:
1) since the game was popular you went in with higher than normal hopes and got disappointed due to being overly hopeful of your first DMC game and thus was much more harsher on your judgement and scrutiny than on other games.
2) you don't actually care for the game rather than hating it and just decided to say very scrub tier words just to get some reaction. evidenced by you stating that you dislike Japanese games slot.

As stated in my previous quote, if you actually feel some shred of intrigue at what the game may be like as developed by the West I implore you to take a look into DMC:dmc as it was a reboot of the series that has a much more distinct western vibe, developed by Ninja Theory, a game publisher that may be more up your alley.

1. i had zero hopes for this game it never interested me only reason i played it cause it was on gamepass.
2. i hate it. its awful.

this is how i feel. deal with it.

Shifty

1. i had zero hopes for this game it never interested me only reason i played it cause it was on gamepass.
2. i hate it. its awful.

So pray tell what are you looking to achieve by resurrecting this old-ass thread with a bunch of bitchy shitposts that lack any semblance of critical merit?

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 471617

Unconfirmed Member
Played and completed DMC 5 at launch. DMC 5 was the first game in the series that I played since an hour or so of the original game on PS2. It was a great 8.5/10 for me and made me a fan of the series. Looking forward to DMC 6 on next gen consoles.

Neolombax

2. i hate it. its awful.

If you already know that you hate japanese games, why even install it in the first place. And why the need to announce this in the internet? I can understand your criticisms for it being linear, corny characters and nonsensical story, but the series has always been about those things. Its the 5th installment of the game, the game devs know what fans want and expect from the series. It just sounds like the game isn't meant for you, but it does not make the game bad.

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
If you already know that you hate japanese games, why even install it in the first place. And why the need to announce this in the internet? I can understand your criticisms for it being linear, corny characters and nonsensical story, but the series has always been about those things. Its the 5th installment of the game, the game devs know what fans want and expect from the series. It just sounds like the game isn't meant for you, but it does not make the game bad.

I bet he hates fast and the furious too because it has cars.

Keihart

As if playing the first chapter of the game is any indication of what makes DMCV great...it's like playing one figth in a fighting game with a random character and then being like nah, this game is bad.
"2. Button mashing combat. " This triggers me, DMCV is one of the most mechanical focused action games that it's not a fighting game in recent memory.
Also i don't get the insult of "plays like a PS2 game", there are plenty of PS2 games that are mechanically sound to this day.

Another one

Last edited:

Kamina

Golden Boy
“I forced myself to play a video game from developers i don't like, because it was free. As it turns out i ‘surprisingly’ didn't like the game, so I better go shipost about it on GAF to let other people know.”

kevin_trinh

Combat aside (which is the same as 2 previous dmc), the story in this game is purely garbage. No wonder it can not achieve 3m sales.

Top Bottom