• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Devil May Cry Collection |OT| Over a Decade of Style

Carbonox

I've hardly touched the collection for about 2+ weeks. Basically since my last attempt DMC2's Bloody Palace mode glitched out on me meaning I had to start again. Did a couple of missions in Devil May Cry 3 but otherwise that's it. Dunno what's wrong with me. Maybe I burned myself out as I Platinum'd DMC1 and went straight nearly doing the same for DMC2.

Guess I just need a bigger break before I return.

Nemesis_

I've hardly touched the collection for about 2+ weeks. Basically since my last attempt DMC2's Bloody Palace mode glitched out on me meaning I had to start again. Did a couple of missions in Devil May Cry 3 but otherwise that's it. Dunno what's wrong with me. Maybe I burned myself out as I Platinum'd DMC1 and went straight nearly doing the same for DMC2.

Guess I just need a bigger break before I return.

I've been going strong! I guess if you got that far in Bloody Palace that would be a huge wet blanket =/

I'm feeling that way with DMC3 now too. But I only have DMD, Blood Palace and HoH to go. So not too long away.

gunbo13

Anyone know of a streaming setup which can cap PC + consoles? There has to be a way to cap on PC @ 1080p removing the FRAPS overhead. Not sure Happauge does it. Maybe a card?

Retcon:
I think the Hauppague Colossus does the above. I worry about lag though...

Retcon2:
Awful lot of BS and work for PC. I'll stick with FRAPS.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Just beat DMC1.

So fucking good, exactly like I remember it. Styled through it in 3 hours. Hard-mode activated once I complete DMC3!

Nemesis_

HOW THE FUCK is anyone meant to beat Arkham on DMD. This seems fucking IMPOSSIBLE. His moves take off SO MUCH DAMAGE in the second phase, and you can't get close or he pummels you with his STUPID ARMS

EDIT: I love how EVERYTIME I come on to GAF to bitch about something I almost immediately complete it properly (and with a good rank) thereafter. Mundus DMD, Lucia Fish DMD and fucking ARKHAM BLOB DMD.

gunbo13

Trickster is the easier for me. I really have trouble reading him during DT and he ends up healing a lot of his health by the time he's done with me :(

I tried RG...ugh
RG with Beo is what I would use to tear up Vergil on DMD.

For trickster, exploit star dashes and go for just frames for DT gain. Air trick would be a good way to close distance instead of relying on stingers. For melee, Reb and Beo is probably not a bad setup. Though, if you can do higher level ESC then that can change around. Without ESC you can still killer bee off AT. And utilize your set of stingers mixed with links from both weapons. Helm Breaker also works well against a lot of Vergil's rush-down since you are dodging by jumping + free damage. Make sure to stun him every chance you get and especially stun him out of DT.

Dahbomb

Rebellion + Beowulf & E&I + Kalina Ann on Royal Guard is the "best" set up to fight against Vergil 3 and it was designed to be that way. This is where this fight becomes one of the best in action gaming because it's a battle of timing, patience, skill and tenacity.

You want to get a grip of RG by only parrying his air attacks with air Parries. The window for Parries is much more lenient especially when you combine it with the i-frames of the jump itself. Similarly parries off of rolls are also lenient. Only parry the move you know you will be able to parry, trying to parry moves outside of your skill level will just get you killed (like trying to parry his spiral swords or ultimate judgment cuts).

Trickster works well too, same weapon set up. Use dashes to evade and teleport to get in, while also getting in with Killer Bee. Killer Bee can also deflect his Round Trip. Destroy his swords with Kalina Ann at close range. E&I will only be used to gain additional float time if needed.

By using Beowulf charge feints you can bait Vergil's parry and hit him with a few more hits before he teleports away. This is more like AI exploitation than an actual legit tactic though.

I think a lot of beginners don't realize that when Vergil DT's you really need to get him out of it. (especially on DMD) Vergil recovers a lot of health if you let him manually end his DT and even more so when he's has a fourth of his life left. On harder difficulties if you don't knock him out of it and damage him after his super attacks he will still be in the positive of health.

Beowulf is the best weapon against him overall for beginners.

* Three DT killer bees will knock Vergil out of his DT

* Double Jump plus Killer bee is great for getting in and exposing Vergil from far distances

* Killer bee shuts down Force Edge throw and is an easy punisher against judgement cuts

* Beowulf also can do the most damage on a normal combo to vergil before he stuns out of his hit loop

And always use handguns if your too far away to make Vergil do his deflect move to buy you some time to move in and always use handguns after hiting Vergil while he's in his stun animation for a little more damage after combos.

Thats my two cents.

Rebellion + Beowulf & E&I + Kalina Ann on Royal Guard is the "best" set up to fight against Vergil 3 and it was designed to be that way.

I don't know. I think the beauty of Vergil, for the exception of nevan, that any style of play and any weapon is very effective against him. I feel that all of the styles have a certain advantage against him and he was designed to be a challenge to all playstyles. Yea RG can eat him alive very easily but that takes a lot of skill and practice to preform.

gunbo13

Vergil's move-set takes away a lot of what makes TS, GS, and SM powerful. He can't do anything about nerfing RG which is pretty much why it is by far the most effective style against him. RG also operates best with Beo which also happens to be the most effective melee against Vergil. It's pretty much a solid match.

Dahbomb

Trickser and RG are the only the styles that trump other styles. Since Vergil is fairly aggressive, Trickster is useful in gaining that all important gauge off of every evasion. RG is the most powerful style in the game ESPECIALLY against opponents who attack a lot so against Vergil is the perfect style.

A ton of Swordmaster options are rendered useless against Vergil. The only option of GS that is useful against Vergil is Multilock and overall GS is more useful than Swordmaster for getting in that free/safe damage. Quicksilver is good against Vergil, Doppelganger is not so bad either. It's not that these styles are useless against Vergil, they can be made effective and useful but they aren't the best option.

Oh and the synergy between Beowulf + RG makes Beowulf the best weapon against Vergil on top of it's high damage in 1 on 1 situation, utility of moves like Straight, charged feints, Killer Bee and Air Hike. Rebellion is the next most mobile weapon, honestly you can do well with any other weapon with Beowulf but the option of Helm Breaker makes Rebellion an easy pick.

gunbo13

^^^
Yea, that's pretty much it in a nutshell. I'd only add that point blank with the shotgun is very good mixed up with stingers on GS. On SM I would just cheese him out as best as I can with BS ESC. ;)

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
I'm having a ton of trouble in DMC3 playing as anything other than Swordmaster. I really want to try the other styles but they all seem so ineffectual and not nearly as conducive to combos. I'm terrible at crowd control without the Swordmaster moves. Oh well, maybe I just need to level the other styles. They're all still at level 1. I thought trickster would be up my alley but it's evade is so small it doesn't seem to help much.

gunbo13

I'm having a ton of trouble in DMC3 playing as anything other than Swordmaster. I really want to try the other styles but they all seem so ineffectual and not nearly as conducive to combos. I'm terrible at crowd control without the Swordmaster moves. Oh well, maybe I just need to level the other styles. They're all still at level 1. I thought trickster would be up my alley but it's evade is so small it doesn't seem to help much.
Most styles don't develop until you start your unlocks. I also wouldn't focus on combos when you are leveling up like they stand for effectiveness. They really don't. GS is not necessarily combo focused and is easily more effective overall then SM. Level 1 GS is more about rushdown, stun, and adding to your arsenal slowly. Some of the guys here are better at giving you a nice checklist to go through. But my advice is to play the style for what it stands for, unlock in a good order, and make sure to assimilate as you go. Also, make sure to understand how the vanilla attacks work alone. There is plenty of power in those without adding a topping with a style.

If you have more detailed concerns, then I'm better helping with those. I am awful at giving simple advice. Somebody ask about the intricacies of lag canceling or something!

Sagitario

Still haven't decided what version to get.

On one side, I prefer the DualShock for DMC cause that's what I am used to.
On the other, I already got DMC4 for the X360 and I have more confidence for the next Xbox to have backwards compatibility.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Still haven't decided what version to get.

On one side, I prefer the DualShock for DMC cause that's what I am used to.
On the other, I already got DMC4 for the X360 and I have more confidence for the next Xbox to have backwards compatibility.

Get both!

No, but seriously, you can't go wrong either way. If you've played DMC4 on 360, you shouldn't have a problem using the 360 controller again.

Nemesis_

r5blq.png

Phew! Time to get back into DMC4 now methinks.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Phew! Time to get back into DMC4 now methinks.

Congrats, man!

I just finished the DMC2 Bloody Palace yesterday. Thank God I never have to play this game again. I absolutely never want to see another flock of goatlings or an entire room filled with wolves ping-ponging off walls. Ugh. All that's left for me is the DMC3 Bloody Palace, which I'll finish up later today.

I've already 1000'd DMC4, so I think I might move onto Bayonetta after this.

Nemesis_

Oh my god. DMC4? Really? Jesus christ. The achievements look so hard and unmanageable, and the game itself feels really different to the others and takes quite a bit of getting used to.

joe2187

Banned
Just finished DMC3 yellow on...easy? goddamn I suck. Vergil is some seriously tricky stuff, just when I figure him out he does something unexpected. Spamming judgement cuts, alright dash in with stinger switch to beowolf aaaannd he just cancelled the recovery with devil trigger and completely wrecked my shit. I will go back and finish DMC3 on all difficulties and challenges.

Just started the PC version of DMC4 and it looks absolutely fucking gorgeous, WHY ISNT BAYONETTA ON PC!?

Plays smoothly, runs fast and crisp on my PC.

Anyway, just wanted to say that I've had a great time playing this series It's sad that the action game genre is pretty stagnant these days.

Thanks for the game guardian you've succeeded in making me a DMC fan.

(Dante and vergil are still pieces of shit in UMVC3 though and I stand by that)

Any tips for DMC4?, doesnt seem like there is any achievements on the PC version, any certain mechanics I should know about, tips tricks?

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Yay, 1000 GET! Time for Bayonetta.

Oh my god. DMC4? Really? Jesus christ. The achievements look so hard and unmanageable, and the game itself feels really different to the others and takes quite a bit of getting used to.

They're definitely much much harder than the HD Collection's. S ranking every mission on every difficulty and beating Bloody Palace... not only is it pretty difficult, but it's a long grind. Just take it a step at a time, though. Keep in mind that the requirements for S ranks are much easier in DMC4 than they are in DMC 1 or 3.

Just finished DMC3 yellow on...easy? goddamn I suck. Vergil is some seriously tricky stuff, just when I figure him out he does something unexpected. Spamming judgement cuts, alright dash in with stinger switch to beowolf aaaannd he just cancelled the recovery with devil trigger and completely wrecked my shit. I will go back and finish DMC3 on all difficulties and challenges.

Just started the PC version of DMC4 and it looks absolutely fucking gorgeous, WHY ISNT BAYONETTA ON PC!?

Plays smoothly, runs fast and crisp on my PC.

Anyway, just wanted to say that I've had a great time playing this series It's sad that the action game genre is pretty stagnant these days.

Thanks for the game guardian you've succeeded in making me a DMC fan.

(Dante and vergil are still pieces of shit in UMVC3 though and I stand by that)

Any tips for DMC4?, doesnt seem like there is any achievements on the PC version, any certain mechanics I should know about, tips tricks?

Nah, you beat it on Normal (there's no achievement for Easy), though I suppose technically you beat it on the NA Easy for the original non-Special Edition release. I'm really glad you liked it. :) You didn't kill 100 enemies during the credits, though, so you didn't see the extended ending!

DMC4 looks absolutely phenomenal, even by today's standards. Seriously, the game came out extremely early in the PS3 life cycle and still looks good. That's the MT Framework engine for you. As far as tips are concerned, I'd just get acclimated to the Devil Bringer and Exceed mechanics. Nero's arsenal is simplified, but he still has a plethora of options... recognize when you need to lock-on and when you don't.

One new mechanic in DMC4 is that there are both Proud Souls and Red Orbs. Red Orbs purchase items and Proud Souls are used for purchasing moves and upgrading weapons. You ONLY get Proud Souls for completing levels (and playing in the Bloody Palace). DMC4 is a little more generous in that it lets you refund Proud Souls if you feel that you made a poor choice. As usual, get Streak early on (Nero's Stinger) and work your way up from there.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
What the hell do the yellow and gold choices mean? I dont remember them from the original.

That's because the original didn't have them. :p

In the Gold Orb system, the Gold Orbs resurrect you on the spot and you get unlimited checkpoints. In the Yellow Orb system, Yellow Orbs ARE your checkpoints.

The Gold Orb system was what Japan had. When DMC3 came to NA, it had the Yellow Orb system. In the Special Edition, they decided to give you the option of choosing either. Keep in mind that once you choose a system, you're stuck with that system for that save.

I always choose yellow since I restart the level if I die anyway (I got me some OCD, yo). I imagine most people would prefer the gold system.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
I always choose yellow since I restart the level if I die anyway (I got me some OCD, yo). I imagine most people would prefer the gold system.

Yeah, I pick Yellow out of habit, but I never use any items anyway.

I'm still of the opinion that Gold makes things way too easy for people that do. Maybe it would have been balanced if the difficulty was set to Hard, like in the original NA release.

If I 1000/1000'd DMC4 and Bayonetta, how hard will this collection be to 100%?

Almost done with all the achievements for SH HD collection and am close to finishing Peacewalker HD, too. I plan on buying this soon!

GuardianE

Santa May Claus

Almost done with all the achievements for SH HD collection and am close to finishing Peacewalker HD, too. I plan on buying this soon!

We just discussed it a few posts above. This Collection's achievements are a good deal easier than DMC4's.

Nemesis_

If you 1000'd DMC4, I think this is more than manageable.

Holy jeebus i remembered dmc2 being bad, but apparently my youth sugarcoated it.....
So bad i could become a devil and cry aplenty.....

joe2187

Banned
Dont know where else to ask this maybe I could get some help here.

I've had a great time with DMC4 on PC so far no issues, but there is one really annoying problem, during cutscenes the audio de-syncs and the voices are 3-4 seconds ahead of the cutscenes.

I didnt have this problem at all until after I fought credo, now I go back and watch cutscenes in the viewer mode and all them have this problem, I tried turning off Vsync, didnt have any effect and setting my settings to Variable and 60fps maxed and still I have the problem.

Anybody know how to fix this?

Okay so I finished DMC 1 Normal mode and got most of the achievements possible for the one playthrough. Going to go to the other games before attempting anything else cause I have tendency to burn out.

Dont know where else to ask this maybe I could get some help here.

I've had a great time with DMC4 on PC so far no issues, but there is one really annoying problem, during cutscenes the audio de-syncs and the voices are 3-4 seconds ahead of the cutscenes.

I didnt have this problem at all until after I fought credo, now I go back and watch cutscenes in the viewer mode and all them have this problem, I tried turning off Vsync, didnt have any effect and setting my settings to Variable and 60fps maxed and still I have the problem.

Anybody know how to fix this?

This may not be helpful but I found this: http://www.pchelpforum.com/xf/threads/audio-sync-problems.48189/

Is it only DMC 4 that has the issue?

joe2187

Banned
Yeah, I've been searching around seems to be a problem with the sound drivers being non-compatable after a while it shuts down and switches drivers or something I dont particularly understand in the jumbled info I've scrounged up online.

After switching to stereo from surround sound in my Audio settings I accidentally opened a can of worms that lasted me all day to figure out. Seems that switching the audio while running steam causes my entire PC to freeze and die, everytime on startup it would freeze and lockup and be only capable of running in safe mode. After a rigorous process of elimination I encountered the problem being that the only change I made to the system was the sound settings.

After disabling steam and having full functionality I uninstalled the old sound drivers and installed a current version, I now have full use of my computer and have working audio in DMC4.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Okay so I finished DMC 1 Normal mode and got most of the achievements possible for the one playthrough. Going to go to the other games before attempting anything else cause I have tendency to burn out.

I danced between the games a lot. It keeps things fresh.

Card Boy

Banned
Just got the collection. I played the first game 10 years ago at a cousins house when i was like 14-15. I only really have some experiance with DMC4 besides that.

I noticed the original has a Resident Evil presence with its atmosphere and camera angels without the scare factor, it also does that thing where it goes 'I need a Rusty Key for this door' and you can examine objects like Resident Evil.

Wish me luck :)

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Just got the collection. I played the first game 10 years ago at a cousins house when i was like 14-15. I only really have some experiance with DMC4 besides that.

I noticed the original has a Resident Evil presence with its atmosphere and camera angels without the scare factor, it also does that thing where it goes 'I need a Rusty Key for this door' and you can examine objects like Resident Evil.

Wish me luck :)

Good luck! Make sure to come back if you're having any trouble.

Ezalc

So I never played a DMC game, would it be recommended to get the collection or just get the games separately? Is this an actually good HD collection?

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
So I never played a DMC game, would it be recommended to get the collection or just get the games separately? Is this an actually good HD collection?

Yes, it's a great HD Collection, though it's not got a lot of bells and whistles like the best HD rereleases out right now (MGS specifically).

It's a really solid port. The entire series runs at 60fps for buttery smooth combat. No hiccups or framerate issues. No technical glitches or bugs (there may have been a rare sound bug with certain CRT TVs?). The gameplay is pretty much flawless.

You really ought to pick it the collection. You're not saving much over picking up the games individually, and the HD remastering really does make a difference.

Card Boy

Banned

Comparison pics are in the OP, its better than the PS2 versions. Not the best HD Collection but its the best available of DMC 1-3

Atolm

Ok finished DMC1 today and I'm getting my ass whipped on Hard already, not only is harder but they put higher tier enemies as well instead of normal ones. DMD will be too much for me I'm afraid.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
I need some general advice on how to tackle DMD for DMC3. Enemies are devil triggering too fast and my attacks feel lackluster :(

There are two conditions for enemies to DT. Either you take too long in the fight or you kill two enemies in the group (the rest will DT).

Make sure to weaken all enemies equally in the group quickly. Drop them all down to very little health (if you didn't know, you can see their health by the white bars inside the lock-on reticle). As soon as you kill two enemies, the last DT'd enemies won't have much health left, so you can pick them off pretty easily despite their DT. The easiest way to deal with DT enemies is to use DT Flux/Explosion. Weaken all enemies, group them together, then DT Flux to kill them all at once.

Atolm

I'm almost done with my Hard run for DMC1. So far the hardest boss has been Nightmare #3. Let's see what's up with DMD.

Top Bottom