• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Devil Summoner: Soul Hackers (Saturn title but w/ full voice) announced for 3DS

RedBoot

Man, how many games has Atlus re-released in the SMT series since the original release of Persona 4? It feels like they don't want to make new games anymore..

Well, we got a bit spoiled in the PS2 era. Pretty much everything post Nocturne was much easier to make since they could reuse the engine and art assets. In theory, we'll see something along the same lines when P5 finally comes out.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
Man, how many games has Atlus re-released in the SMT series since the original release of Persona 4? It feels like they don't want to make new games anymore..

Hmm... well, there's Persona, Persona 2 IS, Persona 2 EP, Persona 3, SMT Devil Survivor Overclocked, and now this... so... however many that is. 6? In 3 and a half years.

Ayup.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.

*pat pat* I'm still sore you guys took the customized mission/scenario mode out of IS. I hope it returns in EP with an IS-like nego mode for the characters along with the IS cast. (Probably too much for UMD sizes though)

Also Micheal > Michelle. As much as I hate to admit it.

mollipen

I don't get it, this announcement means we are getting it in English. The record (and logic) speaks for itself.

Sorry, but with Soul Hackers, I won't believe it's actually coming until Atlus A.R.A.M. sends out a finely-worded press release stating that it's indeed happening. I've had my heart broken too many times before.

Since its on 3ds, wonder if they might clean up the visuals a bit. Maybe better resolution ? Either way, I'm happy to finnaly have the opportunity to play this .

Since its on 3ds, wonder if they might clean up the visuals a bit. Maybe better resolution ? Either way, I'm happy to finnaly have the opportunity to play this .
I don't think the 3DS is any higher resolution than the PS1 was. A little more or a little less, but nothing significant enough to "clean up" graphics.

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
Sorry, but with Soul Hackers, I won't believe it's actually coming until Atlus A.R.A.M. sends out a finely-worded press release stating that it's indeed happening. I've had my heart broken too many times before.
I'd be worried if it's a straight-up port of the PS1 version, as I'm pretty sure the reason Soul hackers (PSP) never came out in english was due to not having the original source code iirc.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
Twitter seems to be displaying a surprising amount of interest over this announcement. I honestly thought nobody would give a damn.

This is a good thing, though.

Now that I think about it... this is basically the only SMT game left that I've really wanted to play. I mean, I'd probably buy a remake of SMT 1+2 and if, but I don't really have that much interest in any of the other stuff that has yet to get some sort of modern release.

I'd be worried if it's a straight-up port of the PS1 version, as I'm pretty sure the reason Soul hackers (PSP) never came out in english was due to not having the original source code iirc.

Ima bust out some faulty logic for a second. I wouldn't necessarily worry about the source just disappearing, because that was more of an issue with Saturn games. Devil Summoner was a Saturn exclusive... Soul Hackers was a PS1 game. So maybe the code is archived somewhere. Why would it be any different? I don't know. I'm tired as shit right now, and I'm drinking.

randomkid

Hmm... well, there's Persona, Persona 2 IS, Persona 2 EP, Persona 3, SMT Devil Survivor Overclocked, and now this... so... however many that is. 6? In 3 and a half years.

Ayup.

Atlus has milked this franchise relentlessly for decades. This ain't nothing new, even if it seems egregious.

Again though, I am totally fine with this, let's get SMT1&2&If, the original Devil Summoner, the Game Gear and Super Famicom Last Bibles and SMT Nine ports to whatever systems are necessary. I want to play em all in English.

Edit: Oh whoops, and Megami Tensei 1&2 too! Apologies to Majin Tensei and Devil Children heh, you can wait.

wrowa

I would be excited but it's for 3DS and is region locked and has pretty much zero chance of being released in Europe :(
Ghostlights track record has become pretty good. We'll even get Devil Survivor Overclocked and 2 even though the original never saw the European light of day.

kunonabi

holy shit. I cant say much else. I've been wanting to play the game for years. I was just about to begin playing the Japanese SS release.

randomkid

Oh geez, a tiny seed of doubt. Nich can you confirm this? I thought it was just Sony's policy on no frills ports?

Lol, nobody wants to play SMT Nine.

I do dammit, that last boss looks off the chain!

Mitama

This thread just keeps on giving. First the news of Soul Hackers, now of Ghostlight bringing over DSO and possibly (hopefully!) this. Vita will have a hard time catching up!

kunonabi

This thread just keeps on giving. First the news of Soul Hackers, now of Ghostlight bringing over DSO and possibly (hopefully!) this. Vita will have a hard time catching up!

I don't think the Vita even heard the starting pistol.

vall03

ever since the Atlus list for 3DS came out, I was expecting SMT I & II remake for 3DS but Im totally fine with Soul Hackers. I really want to play it. Expecting a lot from Atlus USA, though realistically, the only ones we can expect to be announced for this year would either be P4G, Eternal Punishment and Etrian Odyssey IV.

Ayup.

Raidou versus King Abaddon, Devil Survivor, Strange Journey, Devil Survivor 2, Catherine.

I don't think the 3DS is any higher resolution than the PS1 was. A little more or a little less, but nothing significant enough to "clean up" graphics.

Well I mean you can compare the enemy graphics in Devil Survivor Overclock with the ones from Soul Hackers. One is significantly better looking.

randomkid

I don't think the Vita even heard the starting pistol.

I wouldn't crow just yet. Atlus has a history of spreading the Megaten wealth around, even to "failed" consoles. Pretty sure both Vita and 3DS will continue getting announcements over the years.

Those came out before SMT really had any presence in the States, so it's not surprising. I'd look to the fact that we got Strange Journey, and all of the Devil Survivor games, including the unnecessary 3DS remake... we're clearly going to get this.
ib0c4rzkeFoWFt.gif

This is good news, but where is my Devil Survivor 2 Overclocked, Atlus? >:|

duckroll

This is good news, but where is my Devil Survivor 2 Overclocked, Atlus? >:|

You can play DS2 on the 3DS anyway. They're not going to spend a bunch of money to record full voices when the majority of fans have spoken out and voted with their wallet. No one wants Overclocked.

Wow, talk about unexpected. I all but gave up hope on this game after following GameFan's coverage back in the 90s. Pretty sure after I read that Sony USA (or was it Japan) didn't think bringing this over to the U.S. was a good idea that this would be doomed.

Awesome news, hopefully NichM can provide some even BETTER news.

Top Bottom