• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Devil Survivor: Overclocked (EU) finally released after 2 years, still has bugs.

I assume NIS have a deal with an EU publisher. I believe it's Tecmo-Koei.

But shouldn't stuff like this push Atlus to either spank Ghostlight to get in line or start considering changing the publisher? I'm not an expert on this but there should be plenty of potential EU publishers they could deal with.

I find it hard to believe anyone would want to prolong their dealings with a company who releases broken games after 2 years delay.

redlemon

NIS America are smaller than Atlus... and yet THEY HAVE money to bring Atlus games in Europe.
Also, nothing stop Atlus from publishing on eShop... oh yes, they hate Europe, that's enough.
They dont. Its their name on the box but it really koei tecmo.

MLH

The summon bug is seriously game breaking, I might not be able to complete the game without it. They need to fix it straight away otherwise a refund will be in order.

t26

NIS America are smaller than Atlus... and yet THEY HAVE money to bring Atlus games in Europe.
Also, nothing stop Atlus from publishing on eShop... oh yes, they hate Europe, that's enough.

NIS America also publish anime, so they are not smaller than Atlus.

Andrefpvs

If this is present in all the copies, then they have to issue a recall or a patch, there's no excuse for this.

I'll completely forgive Ghostlight if they work with Atlus to rate & release Persona 2: Eternal Punishment (PSone import) on the EU PSN Store, though *hint* :p

Pooya

Ghostlight probably used a Hex Editor or something like that to 'localize' the game and they broke something, because Atlus couldn't care less to give them any time :lol

don't think they'll ever fix this thing, dodged a bullet with this one.

If this is present on all the copies, then they have to issue a recall or a patch, there's no excuse for this.

I'll completely forgive Ghostlight if they work with Atlus to rate & release Persona 2: Eternal Punishment (PSone import) on the EU PSN Store, though *hint* :p

I hope this happens so that you can experience that wonderful game. I am totally not bias or anything...........

stalker

Well, first amazon did not ship my preorder and now I read this. I have just cancelled the order. It is difficult to enjoy Atlus games from Europe, it's a shame.

wrowa

Poor Ghostlight?They are not the poor ones if all these are true.
It's Ghostlight's fault that the game shipped in this state.

However, it's not their fault that the bugs are present in the first place. They aren't doing the localization programming and changes themselves, that's being done in Japan by Atlus.

If there are bugs, it's the fault of Atlus who didn't give a shit about this European relase and thus made sloppy work when incorporating the changes into the games' code.

Mitama

However, it's not their fault that the bugs are present in the first place. They aren't doing the localization programming and changes themselves, that's being done in Japan by Atlus.

If there are bugs, it's the fault of Atlus who didn't give a shit about this European relase and thus made sloppy work when incorporating the changes into the games' code.

Huh? As far as I know, this is all Ghostlight's doing, Atlus US/JP doesn't have anything to do with this. As said before, the original NA and JP copies do not have these bugs.

Actually, they do have an in-house development team, so it's not unreasonable to assume that Ghostlight did the localization programming themselves and fucked it up.

^well that last guys reaction was a bit dickish, ya Yanker :p

Hey, I like you.

Can't stress how good Innocent Sin and Eternal Punishment are enough, despite some things about them aging poorly. Did you play IS?

If I were you I'd make a US account and get you some PSN-codes. Hell, I'd help you get one if needed, I love EP that much.

This is one of the reasons you are awesome dude

I'm not judging anyone. I'm just saying it's hard to care.

Don't worry about it, but I do empathize with EU fans, they are constantly screwed over with Atlus products.

wrowa

Huh? As far as I know, this is all Ghostlight's doing, Atlus US/JP doesn't have anything to do with this. As said before, the original NA and JP copies do not have these bugs.

Companies like Atlus USA, XSEED, NISA or Ghostlight normally don't have the means to work on the game code directly. Even if they have, more often than not they aren't even allowed to. That stuff is being done by the actual developers. If there are new bugs, these are due changes made in the European version, which have unlikely been programmed by Ghostlight.

If it really crashes every time you try to summon something, I wonder how this gane got through NoE's approval process to begin with...

cj_iwakura

where can codes be bought and how much is it?

Eternal Punishment is $10 on the US store.

Honestly not sure of a way to get a US PSN code from the EU, but I'm sure it exists.

Maybe I'll give out a code with the criteria that whoever gets it uses it on Eternal Punishment. (Doomed to failure, no doubt)

Dantis

Hmm. I was considering giving this a look, but maybe not.

I'll see how it progresses.

Eternal Punishment is $10 on the US store.

Honestly not sure of a way to get a US PSN code from the EU, but I'm sure it exists.

Maybe I'll give out a code with the criteria that whoever gets it uses it on Eternal Punishment. (Doomed to failure, no doubt)

You should just cut out the middle man and send that code to me!

;)

We'll get it the same year as Versus.

You're not even European, haha!

cj_iwakura

Hypothetically, if I were to offer a US PSN code for Eternal Punishment in a contest, who from the EU would most want or need it? I'd have no way of telling if entrants are from the EU and would get use it on EP, but that's the gamble I suppose.

Suggestions welcome, maybe it'll lessen the sting of this crap.

Reknoc

Guess I made the right decision when I saw this for £30 and laughed my way out of the store.

Shocking really.

Reknoc

Just to be clear, this is a fantastic game and well worth the price. Just not the bugs.

Oh I have no doubt. These bugs sound pretty severe however. I'll happily pick it up if it ever gets fixed even though I'm not a massive fan of SRPGs (because I suck at them)

This must be a production fault. As in data got corrupted on route to factory or something like that.

This reminds of SNK vs. Capcom Card Fighters DS which the American release had a similar thing (but later into the game).

If it really crashes every time you try to summon something, I wonder how this gane got through NoE's approval process to begin with...
The lot check checks things like how you describe the controls in the manual as much of these.

Also is there any evidence of changes to the EU version? No FIGS, so what is it, a few script changes to get a different age rating and the ghostlight logo on bootup?

PK Gaming

This must be a production fault. As in data got corrupted on route to factory or something like that.

This reminds of SNK vs. Capcom Card Fighters DS which the American release had a similar thing (but later into the game).

The lot check checks things like how you describe the controls in the manual as much of these.

Also is there any evidence of changes to the EU version? No FIGS, so what is it, a few script changes to get a different age rating and the ghostlight logo on bootup?

That makes sense. Something similar happened to the Mother 3 fan translation; part of the reason why it took so long to translate was because they had to fix the myriad of bugs that came out of making minute changes.

I don't understand why they wouldn't playtest their translated game. Talk about not caring about your product :/

MLH

That seems like a plausible explanation, after all this is a really obvious bug and vital part of the game, nevertheless the other bugs such as the name switching is a massive oversight. I'm not even sure how that happened since they probably base the EU localisation on the US version, which didn't have that bug.

LayLa

from this interview it sounds like Atlus would be making the code changes, which explains the 2 year delay

Even if the game has already been translated, it will still have to undergo changes to the code. As I mentioned earlier, the technical requirements in each region differ and there is also the possibility that additional bugs will be spotted which will need to be fixed.

This usually means having the Japanese dev/publisher make the changes, which can also introduce delays as the particular team who worked on a title may not be immediately available. Unsurprisingly, dev teams never sit idly waiting for localisation work from us, naturally they need to work on new products, so we usually have to find a balance that enables multiple projects to run in parallel. This can mean that we may have to wait to start a project and fit in around developer’s tight schedules. Downtime can invariably occur here.

Jesus this is pretty shocking. I have yet to pick up a 3DS because I just cannot justify throwing down money on an EU model right now. Too much uncertainty surrounding game releases, they get here late (nearly 2 years in this case!) if at all.

And now when one of them eventually makes it over, it is riddled with brand-new bugs. Ridiculous. I guess I will either pick up a US model in the future or none at all.

Mitama

from this interview it sounds like Atlus would be making the code changes, which explains the 2 year delay

On their blog, Ghostlight has stated multiple times that the main reason it took so long was because they were very new to development on the 3DS and that Nintendo and Atlus shouldn't be blamed. So I'm pretty sure it was an inhouse job. Also, I don't think Atlus would screw up such a simple task if they were responsible for this. Either way, it's a sad situation. If Atlus was indeed responsible for implementing the changes then all Ghostlight had to do was do the testing. But they didn't even succeed in that. Who knows how they'll respond to this, maybe they'll just pick an excuse from this thread, data corruption on the way to the manufacturer doesn't sound too bad. :D

Top Bottom