• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Devs Play |Season 2| by DF and 2PP [Rayman 2 with Michel Ancel]

xptoxyz

DevsPlaySmall.gif

This season we'll be looking mainly at games which inspired Psychonauts, or will likely inspire Psychonauts 2.

Presented by:
LpHA07x.png

UKp21vy.gif

Episode 1 - Spyro the Dragon with Ted Price

Episode 2 - Ratchet & Clank with Ted Price

Episode 3 - PoP: The Sands of Time with Patrice Désilets

Episode 4 - Assassin's Creed II with Patrice Désilets

Episode 5 - Little Big Planet with Media Molecule (Alex Evans, Siobhan Reddy, and Kareem Ettouney)

Episode 6 - Teletubbies Tearaway with Rex Crowle

Episode 7 - Crash Bandicoot with Jason Rubin

Episode 8 - Jak and Daxter with Jason Rubin

Episode 9 - Rayman 2: The Great Escape with Michel Ancel

Episode 10 - Beyond Good & Evil with Michel Ancel

Other series by DF/2PP:

The Color of the Sky in Your World - A retrospective on how Psychonauts came to be.
NeoGAF thread

Double Fine Adventure! - The documentary series about the development of Broken Age from crowdfunding until release and beyond.
NeoGAF thread

Devs Play Season 1 - Double Fine members play games they like and host its developers to talk about them. Guest names include Louis Castle and John Romero
NeoGAF thread

Wazi the pa

Neo Member
I really do want 3D platformers to come back into power again...... There's so much left to do for the genre!!!!

Hopefully Ratchet & Clank, Psychonauts 2 and even Yooka-Laylee can bring it back. And Naughty Dog, just get back to Jak & Daxter PLEASE?!

traveler

Not Wario
I really do want 3D platformers to come back into power again...... There's so much left to do for the genre!!!!

Hopefully Ratchet & Clank, Psychonauts 2 and even Yooka-Laylee can bring it back. And Naughty Dog, just get back to Jak & Daxter PLEASE?!

I agree, but I would prefer that they take their cues from the Galaxy games, which have been almost unanimously praised as the height of the genre, and not the 64 era platforming light collectathons that seem to be the driving inspiration for many right now. By all means, let's bring the genre back, but don't ignore the huge progress that's been made in it.

Ultimadrago

I agree, but I would prefer that they take their cues from the Galaxy games, which have been almost unanimously praised as the height of the genre, and not the 64 era platforming light collectathons that seem to be the driving inspiration for many right now. By all means, let's bring the genre back, but don't ignore the huge progress that's been made in it.

Indeed, I enjoyed the Galaxy titles much more than Super Mario 64.

xptoxyz

Just finished watching Ratchet, great little details into the development. A great watch, and from memory I'd rank this episode above Spyro.

Also: PoP:SoT and AC2 will have Patrice Désilets as the guest!

Lijik

Maybe its just how much I love platformers, but every episode this season has been a major hit for me. Cant wait to hear Patrice talk about AC2 even if with that game we're firmly in action-adventure territory lmao

Didn't know they cut out eating penises in that image of Sands of Time lol

Hearing how they tried to make all the game design elements into the world rather than surfacing it to players directly was cool. 30-35 people worked on this game full time (60 at peak), that seems quite small in comparison to today.

Patrice Desilets so stoked about wet graphics, roll gives off more water than just walking. Love it.

On Blinx: "They made a game around a feature. We didn't. We put it in the title. But basically it's a game and there is this rewind portion in it. At first, it wasn't about that, it was about what you're doing right now [platforming, behaviours]."

On PoP 2008: "The girl was always saving you. It was automatic. I prefer being in control in games...I liked it. I finished it."

Desilets came up with the rewind feature one morning, and then Martin Sévigny, the programmer: "Yup, I'll do it. I'll code that."

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
Another great video.

Now in 2015 I look different on AC2 than I did when it came out. But that's not the fault of AC2 or Patrice and his then team.

It's just that this game design template was so successful and I think AC2 is up there as being one of the most influential singleplayer games. In 2011-2012 the joke was that everything was Uncharted but that turned ultimately only out to be a blip.

The 80% completion rate for the franchise was also very surprising to hear.

Yarbskoo

Really enjoyed the Spyro discussion, though it's clear the guy playing hasn't played through as many times as I have. I love the way the game looks, the simple geometry, vivid colors, and lively animated characters really create a world that's just fun to be in.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
Figured this series would be more popular here.

Oh wow, they have a Spyro video! That series was completely my childhood in a dragon shaped form. Definitely going to give that video a look when I have the chance to.

Lime

This would be an amazing concept if someone took it further as a regular and consistent show / feature.

xptoxyz

Shorter episode, and it felt a like it had less tidbits about development when compared to others. Let's see how Tearway fares when compared with this one.

benny_a

Media Molecule first pitching it to Nintendo, being refused and going to Sony and Nintendo giving their blessing that no Nintendo IP has to be pulled from the UGC stuff is pretty cool info though.

xptoxyz

Media Molecule first pitching it to Nintendo, being refused and going to Sony

Yeah that was something I didn't know actually. The rest of the episode felt a bit lacking (in contrast with others) to me, but then again other people might take other stuff out of it.

Then again...

Nintendo giving their blessing that no Nintendo IP has to be pulled from the UGC stuff is pretty cool info though.

I must've missed that part.

benny_a

I must've missed that part.
It wasn't explicitly spelled out. But it was right after the talk about the Super Mario 1-1 talk and then a message that big japanese publisher has said Sony doesn't have to take their IP down, as they like that game. And LBP is full of Mario levels.

But in general it's pretty light on interesting information. Sands of Time is my favorite this season.

@MUWANdo

Banned
This would be an amazing concept if someone took it further as a regular and consistent show / feature.

The only reason we're getting it is because Double Fine is paying for it, partially as a way to push Psychonauts 2, so it'd never work as a regular series unless they (2 Player Productions) found a way to monetise it and to produce it independently of individual devs or publishers or what have you.

xptoxyz

Episode 6 - Crash Bandicoot with Jason Rubin

New video!

Also if a mod reads this please update the thread title. (I did so for the OP)

Episode 6 - Crash Bandicoot with Jason Rubin

New video!

Also if a mod reads this please update the thread title. (I did so for the OP)

:(

It's so sad to hear them go from innovative and creative-solution driven to "copy GTA and do what the 8-year-old wants." There's a lot of Jak II that I still enjoy very much, but it makes me wonder about the game that would have been without the focus testing.

Parsnip

Even though I don't give two shits about Crash, I guess I'll watch ep7.
Very much looking forward to ep8 though.

Wiggy

this series has been great, shame it didnt get much traction here on Gaf (maybe the focus tests were right and platformers arent cool anymore haha).

A lot of these are some of my all time favourite games so its great hearing about their development.

Looking forward to more Rubin, he seemed full of stories to tell.

Elixist

It's so sad to hear them go from innovative and creative-solution driven to "copy GTA and do what the 8-year-old wants." There's a lot of Jak II that I still enjoy very much, but it makes me wonder about the game that would have been without the focus testing.

yup, that was sad to hear. but they did evolve to uncharted and tlou so maybe that's where they wanted to go, they just dint realize it until playing gta3.

The Crash video with Jason Rubin was the best.

btw, did anyone find the article that Jason mentions? The one with the jump arc of platformers and stuff.

Lijik

Eh, based on interviews at the time of Jak II I think thats the direction Jason and probably others on the team wanted to go anyways and the focus groups just helped reinforce that.

edit- That Willy Wombat game is pretty bland, but yo the MUSIC
the stage 1 bgm is right out of a 80s cop procedural its so good

Wiggy

The Crash video with Jason Rubin was the best.

btw, did anyone find the article that Jason mentions? The one with the jump arc of platformers and stuff.

i tried looking and couldnt find it :/. Hope someone does, it sounded pretty interesting.
yup, that was sad to hear. but they did evolve to uncharted and tlou so maybe that's where they wanted to go, they just dint realize it until playing gta3.

yeah i love platformers as much as anyone, but I cant argue that their new direction as a studio didnt have a happy ending

Wiggy

another great ep, this was the last one right?. Just reread the OP, looks like there is one more?

Rubin's candour makes him a great guest.

Lijik

yessss jak ep drops the day i finally catch up on the crash ep.

im gettin a double dose today!

edit: this ep is already off to a great start

xptoxyz

another great ep, this was the last one right?. Just reread the OP, looks like there is one more?

Rubin's candour makes him a great guest.

Conflicting messages, Psychonaut's crowdfunding makes it seem like there will be one or two more episodes, the ending of this one makes it look like it's the last episode by them talking about Season 3 if enough interest in S2. But maybe they still don't want to reveal the games for the finale or even know what games they're recording, everything is guess work...

Top Bottom