• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Devs Say Quantum Error Gameplay Will Be Similar to Dead Space and DOOM 3

Airbus Jr

Banned
NbFNFj2.jpg

Few details are known about TeamKill Media’s cosmic horror title, Quantum Error. A new bit of information surfaced recently, however, cluing us into the team’s gameplay inspirations. Most notably, developers have revealed that players should anticipate a gameplay experience “very similar” to the likes of Dead Space and DOOM 3.

During an interview with GamingBolt, TeamKill Media’s Dakoda Jones and Micah Jones noted their approach to gameplay in Quantum Error takes cues from the aforementioned titles. Puzzles will be sprinkled throughout the experience as well, making for somewhat of a slow-paced shooter. According to the developers,

Gameplay will be very similar to a game like DOOM 3 or Dead Space (but in first-person). It will be a slower paced FPS trickled with a variety of mechanics that revolve around the main character’s skills as a firefighter. We plan to have puzzles throughout where you may need to use a halligan bar to break open certain things or areas, rooms that if not vented will explode if the door is opened, moments where you have to manage oxygen levels, etc.
The two developers touched on how horror will play into Quantum Error, too. In this regard, the main focus is on crafting an eerie atmosphere that pervades throughout, without relying on jump scares or other typically cheap gimmicks.

With QE we are going for shooting mechanics first as that is the primary gameplay involved. However, when it comes to building the horror aspect of the game it will be done in a way that promotes atmosphere over anything scripted. No jump scares or anything cheap like that. The game’s entire atmosphere will be the embodiment of eerie.
Quantum Error is currently in development for both the PlayStation 4 and PlayStation 5 consoles. The team recently said that while production progresses smoothly, it remains too early to say whether or not the horror title will hit the PlayStation 5 at launch.

Nope, Doom 3 was well received for its time, it was just different from what people wanted from a Doom game.

Thats my understanding. Just keep hearing complaints about monster closets and jump scares and not being able to defend yourself when using the torch, which are all things that modern "horror" games get a free pass on for some reason.

Last edited:

Stuart360

I dont know why this game is getting so much attention. Its from the same dev 'team' (its really only one dev mostly) that made 'Kings of Lorn: The Fal of Ebris' on PC, and it wasnt a terrible game but it was a clunky asset flip. The dev just buys assets from the asset store for his games, the difference being that he buys high quality assets compared to the usual scammers on Steam.

Self

Dead Space 1...them be big shoes to fill.

Whoa boy, Dead Space 1...!?
Count me in!

I dont know why this game is getting so much attention. Its from the same dev 'team' (its really only one dev mostly) that made 'Kings of Lorn: The Fal of Ebris' on PC, and it wasnt a terrible game but it was a clunky asset flip.

Oh, I see. Sometimes I just hate this ruthless, devastating facts.

I dont know why this game is getting so much attention. Its from the same dev 'team' (its really only one dev mostly) that made 'Kings of Lorn: The Fal of Ebris' on PC, and it wasnt a terrible game but it was a clunky asset flip. The dev just buys assets from the asset store for his games, the difference being that he buys high quality assets compared to the usual scammers on Steam.

I rather have news like this than those countlless endless PS5 and Series X war fight

At least finally we can talk about an actual incoming game

For once im more interested talking about game than constantly talk about teraflops or SSD

Last edited:

ZywyPL

Banned
Thats my understanding. Just keep hearing complaints about monster closets and jump scares and not being able to defend yourself when using the torch, which are all things that modern "horror" games get a free pass on for some reason.

Apparently the game was waaay ahead of its time.

I thought everyone disliked the best modern take on doom (doom 3)?

Dead Space 1...them be big shoes to fill.
I loved Doom 3, just not as a Doom game. I still say the worst part of the remasters (unless I'm too stupid to find the option) is that it let's you have your flashlight and gun out at the same time. To my knowledge the original Doom 3 was too intense for GPUs at the time, and you could either have the lighting shaders or the guns working at any given time, but not both.

That one little quirk right there turned Doom 3 into one of the best 1st person survival horror experiences until Alien: Isolation.

Dr.Morris79

Gold Member
Doom 3, was, and still is, more of a Doom game than Eternal, mind you..

Gargus

Banned
Dead space and doom?

So it will be fast paced 3rd person? Slow first person?

Thats a stupid combination to compare it to, two completely different games. Might as well just say "Yeah its going to be a combination of her story and katamari damacy". Sounds more like hype to me, just tossing out some big names for the sake of getting attention

Like Doom 3 or Dead Space?

Both are quite different. Doom 3 has great id gunplay. Not fast paced as newer Doom games but not slow at all.

While Dead Space is much slower, methodical. Your character kinda struggles in tense moments.

I could kinda see the Doom 3 vibe in the trailer. I’m down with that. I liked Doom 3 a lot
For real, i thought it was stylish and technologically on point, and i thought it was a reasonable direction for the series to take as it moved into a new generation.. survival horror or whatever.. i kind of think the general feelings that doom 3 was a gameplay misadventure have only really been around since Doom 2016 kind of suggested that the original form of the game could be ported to new generations in style~

Yep, as i said before, I'm okay with this!

This game will be a massive flop and be considered a shoveleare title. You could tell by the visuals, it looks like a PS3 game to me to be honest.

Comparing it too DOOM 3 and Dead Space is hilarious. IMO the game looks like a try hard indie title. I think these devs are delusion. Good luck.

brian0057

Banned
"Gameplay will be very similar to a game like DOOM 3 or Dead Space (but in first-person)..."
"...when it comes to building the horror aspect of the game it will be done in a way that promotes atmosphere over anything scripted. No jump scares or anything cheap like that. The game’s entire atmosphere will be the embodiment of eerie. "

So... System Shock 2?

Last edited:

D.Final

Banned
NbFNFj2.jpg

Few details are known about TeamKill Media’s cosmic horror title, Quantum Error. A new bit of information surfaced recently, however, cluing us into the team’s gameplay inspirations. Most notably, developers have revealed that players should anticipate a gameplay experience “very similar” to the likes of Dead Space and DOOM 3.

During an interview with GamingBolt, TeamKill Media’s Dakoda Jones and Micah Jones noted their approach to gameplay in Quantum Error takes cues from the aforementioned titles. Puzzles will be sprinkled throughout the experience as well, making for somewhat of a slow-paced shooter. According to the developers,

The two developers touched on how horror will play into Quantum Error, too. In this regard, the main focus is on crafting an eerie atmosphere that pervades throughout, without relying on jump scares or other typically cheap gimmicks.

Quantum Error is currently in development for both the PlayStation 4 and PlayStation 5 consoles. The team recently said that while production progresses smoothly, it remains too early to say whether or not the horror title will hit the PlayStation 5 at launch.

Now you have my attention sir

-YFC-

Jumping. It got boring, fast.
But the combat system is so savage, it's very close in capturing that old school shooter feel. Fast paced, frentic and limb soaked. Doom 3 just felt kinda slow in comparison to the og doom.
I don't get what's wrong with jumping, you don't have to jump all the time.

xrnzaaas

But didn't Doom 3 have a lot of cheap jump scares? I recently replayed a part of it and I was getting enjoyed how frequently the game wanted to scare me or surprise me with stuff like lights going out or monsters appearing out of nowhere.

SkylineRKR

Doom 3 was pretty good, I beat the remaster and all its contents. I had a blast. Its just not a Doom game in the sense of constant action and twitch shooting.

Dr.Morris79

Gold Member
But didn't Doom 3 have a lot of cheap jump scares? I recently replayed a part of it and I was getting enjoyed how frequently the game wanted to scare me or surprise me with stuff like lights going out or monsters appearing out of nowhere.
Yeah I know how you feel, I was expecting a kitten cuddle simulator, I was disgusted.

xrnzaaas

Yeah I know how you feel, I was expecting a kitten cuddle simulator, I was disgusted.
As much as love the horror genre for me the best Doom is action focused Doom. I'm not against the idea of trying something different, but I don't like when a horror game tries to surprise you or scare you every 5 seconds, because it cheapens the experience.

martino

Devs Say Quantum Error Gameplay Will Be Similar to Dead Space and DOOM 3

so slow paced and fast paced at the same time ?
giphy.gif

Top Bottom