• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dexter returning to Showtime as a limited series

Kadayi

Probable Replicant & GIF PIMP
Oct 10, 2012
theconclave.net
Yeah, I hope he manages one last feature film between all the odd little shorts he's doing. Pretty sure Inland Empire was the last one 14 years ago.

That said, Twin Peaks 3 would still be a hell of a thing to go out on. Part 8 (woodsman, nuke) was absolutely fucking bananas and I'd be surprised if we ever got an episode of TV like it ever again.
True that. This bit though..legit nightmare fuel.

Aug 26, 2018
Show was awesome but the ending was the dumbest thing ive seen. Its like they had 24 hours to do it, came up with the stupidest idea and used the cheapest cgi.

Still im not keen on a return as there was enough things to call it a day. If they wanted a new Dexter, should of used his son as a grown up psycho like his dad.

Reactions: DadEggs

Grinchy

Aug 3, 2010
a cave outside of Whoville.
The thread made me go back and re-watch the first episode of Season 1. It's still legitimately good. The flashbacks with his dad may be a little odd or even a little rushed ("Oh, you like killing things? Well, nothing that can be done about that. Wanna start killing people?") but still quite good. And I forgot how much I missed Doakes.

Dural

Sep 18, 2006
Show was awesome but the ending was the dumbest thing ive seen. Its like they had 24 hours to do it, came up with the stupidest idea and used the cheapest cgi.

Still im not keen on a return as there was enough things to call it a day. If they wanted a new Dexter, should of used his son as a grown up psycho like his dad.

At the time many were thinking this was going to be the last season or two, him grooming his son as his dad him since they were both born in blood.

Reactions: AeonGaidenRaiden

Kadayi

Probable Replicant & GIF PIMP
Oct 10, 2012
theconclave.net
The thread made me go back and re-watch the first episode of Season 1. It's still legitimately good. The flashbacks with his dad may be a little odd or even a little rushed ("Oh, you like killing things? Well, nothing that can be done about that. Wanna start killing people?") but still quite good. And I forgot how much I missed Doakes.
Yeah Doakes was awesome. Should have kept him around.

bitbydeath

Nov 25, 2015
”We want this to not be Dexter Season 9,” he continued. “Ten years, or however many years, have passed by the time this will air, and the show will reflect that time passage. So far as the ending of the show, this will have no resemblance to how the original finale was. It’s a great opportunity to write a second finale.”
Given the lukewarm reaction to the September 2013 series finale, from both viewers and even series lead Hall himself, “This is an opportunity to make that right,” Phillips said. “But that’s not why we’re doing it.”
As for righting/retconning any specific perceived wrongs, “We’re not undoing anything,” Phillips maintained. “We’re not going to betray the audience and say, ‘Whoops, that was all a dream.’ What happened in the first eight years happened in the first eight years.”

Malakhov

Jun 6, 2004
Up to season 4 ending it was the best series ever, then it went to shit. They didn't stop when they needed to, unlike breaking bad which is the best series ever

Glad to see the original front-runner from season 1-4 is back though, save this shit please.

smorgasbird

Aug 10, 2014
Only season 1 was good. Season 2 was an unnecessary epilogue. Season 3 was boring. Season 4 was shit. I like John Lithgow but the revelation that the reporter was the trinity killer's daughter was such an ass pull.

Last edited:

Salz01

Jan 21, 2010
I’m excited. Dexter early seasons was great TV. Hated the last season. Wish they would bring back Doakes too. 10 episodes doesn’t seem to much though.

DogofWar

Jun 11, 2020
I really liked the first two seasons, 3 and 4 were okay but I lost interest in 5 an did not even finish it. Probably for the greater good then.

ESPOMAN

Aug 31, 2019
At least it the showrunner that did the first four seasons. I just want a season where everyone finds out Dexter is the bay harbor butcher. Hopefully most of the cast comes back.

Reactions: RyuCookingSomeRice

ESPOMAN

Aug 31, 2019
It's such a weird show, it's part soap opera part criminal investigation part supernatural thriller. The soap opera vibe puts people off I think, and probably the fact that the first two seasons look really dated now. Lynch wasn't there for most of season 2 and it goes off the rails a lot before he brings it back in the finale. Stick with it. Season 3 is pure fucking Lynch.

It's kind of love it or hate it honestly, but if you love it you're really going to love it.
I loved season one and most two of Twin Peaks and the movie. I was not the biggest fan of season 3 however. I still enjoyed it but liked the other seasons more.

• Thoughtful
Reactions: Nymphae