• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dexter returning to Showtime as a limited series

Kadayi

Banned
DragoonKain DragoonKain should have opened with: -

tenor.gif

Husky

THE Prey 2 fanatic
They spent years trying to figure out how to bring him back. You should read about all the tossed ideas. They even considered retconning season 5 onwards. Can't wait to see what they've done with the idea that stuck.

-Arcadia-

Banned
I have never seen this work. Chances are, it comes back even worse.

I understand why people want a second chance, though.

Xdrive05

Seasons 1-4 I liked a lot. After that it fell apart badly.

Definitely. There were good moments in the last half of the run, but the general quality was garbage compared to the first 4 seasons.

Things they failed hard on:
* Debra finding out and how that was handled story wise.
* Dexter never getting caught and tried (massive missed opportunity here for a fun story wrap up, or prison escape twist, etc.)
* Dexter’s love life post Rita was all contrived horse shit.
* and so much more

DrJohnGalt

Banned
I really enjoyed the first few seasons, even like the later seasons, but that last episode was unforgivably bad. So bad that I'm not interested in a new mini-series or whatever.

Nymphae

Banned
Might check it out

It's such a weird show, it's part soap opera part criminal investigation part supernatural thriller. The soap opera vibe puts people off I think, and probably the fact that the first two seasons look really dated now. Lynch wasn't there for most of season 2 and it goes off the rails a lot before he brings it back in the finale. Stick with it. Season 3 is pure fucking Lynch.

It's kind of love it or hate it honestly, but if you love it you're really going to love it.

It's such a weird show, it's part soap opera part criminal investigation part supernatural thriller. The soap opera vibe puts people off I think, and probably the fact that the first two seasons look really dated now. Lynch wasn't there for most of season 2 and it goes off the rails a lot before he brings it back in the finale. Stick with it. Season 3 is pure fucking Lynch.

It's kind of love it or hate it honestly, but if you love it you're really going to love it.
I'll check it out after I finish my two other shows. ;)

Because of what I read about it, I avoided the final season - but the first few were great.

A Dexter completely without a code might be interesting, but it's going to have to be really good to bring me back in.

A.Romero

I'm down for it.

Last few seasons and specially the finale was crappy but I can think of many worse ways to waste a few hours.

JonSnowball

The show will be a continuation of the original, eight-season series, which ended in 2013 with Hall's Dexter Morgan going on self-imposed exile as a lumberjack and living a solitary life.
The show turned to shit and ended terribly. This is an awful idea. A better idea would be a soft-reboot with some of the same cast in a self-contained series, lift ideas from the books and do something more like season 1. By the end of Dexter the show turned into such a crap shoot of terrible writing...

eddie4

Genuinely Generous
The ending was shit. I can't believe they just ended it like that. Let's hope they don't fuck this up.

Yoboman

Dexter seasons 1-2 were peak television for me. Up there with HBOs best. It was a dramatic fall from grace, but season 4 had its good moments

SuperGooey

Only season 1 and 2 were good. I'm baffled by people who claim Season 4 was the best since that's pretty much where all the shows biggest problems began.

Regardless, I'm curious. I doubt it'll retcon anything, but they can try and redeem the series at least a little if they make Dexter as a character fun and interesting again.

Quasicat

Hopefully this is more like Veep coming back for a final season and less like Silicon Valley coming back for a final season. You can really tell that Dave Mandel has his hand in Veep which is what made it awesome. I loved the Silicon Valley series, but that finale was just horrible. I really want this comeback of Dexter to be good.

Karmic Raze

I never made it past Season 3, so I didn’t know it went to total shit. I would still like to see the entirety just to say that I did.

Grinchy

Banned
I never made it past Season 3, so I didn’t know it went to total shit. I would still like to see the entirety just to say that I did.
Season 4 had John Lithgow, and you can never go wrong with anything he's in.

It was Season 5 when I had to bow out. We apparently missed a lot. I'm finding myself wanting to binge the series all of a sudden, even the bad seasons I never saw before.

Roufianos

As with others, I loved the first few seasons. Trinity was creepy as fuck and Miguel was a hell of a character.

I don't think I dislike the later ones as much as others here but Season 6 was truly dreadful.

Gonna be difficult to do this well but sure they have something good planned.

Last edited:

betlbum2

Man the last season or 2 was a letdown and the last show was a comedy.
Maybe Dex starts a log home business and.... Who knows how they can fix a turd?

Just bring Deb back and let's see her hot body the whole show.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
Worst TV show ending of all time. Erase at least the entire last season if you're gonna go back to it.

Sell me on it.

You can't be sold on Twin Peaks, you'll probably either love it or despise it, Nymphae basically covered everything you need to know. Season 3 might be the most out-there TV anyone's ever made, I still kinda can't believe it aired.

Kadayi

Banned
You can't be sold on Twin Peaks, you'll probably either love it or despise it, Nymphae basically covered everything you need to know. Season 3 might be the most out-there TV anyone's ever made, I still kinda can't believe it aired.

Indeed. I love Twin Peaks, but it's very much a Marmite show. That final season was astounding but at the same time infuriating in equal measure. The main thing is makes me wish for is for Lynch to do another film or a new original TV show. Dudes not getting any younger sadly despite his influence.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
Indeed. I love Twin Peaks, but it's very much a Marmite show. That final season was astounding but at the same time infuriating in equal measure. The main thing is makes me wish for is for Lynch to do another film or a new original TV show. Dudes not getting any younger sadly despite his influence.

Yeah, I hope he manages one last feature film between all the odd little shorts he's doing. Pretty sure Inland Empire was the last one 14 years ago.

That said, Twin Peaks 3 would still be a hell of a thing to go out on. Part 8 (woodsman, nuke) was absolutely fucking bananas and I'd be surprised if we ever got an episode of TV like it ever again.

Top Bottom