• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dexter returning to Showtime as a limited series

Kadayi

Banned
Yeah, I hope he manages one last feature film between all the odd little shorts he's doing. Pretty sure Inland Empire was the last one 14 years ago.

That said, Twin Peaks 3 would still be a hell of a thing to go out on. Part 8 (woodsman, nuke) was absolutely fucking bananas and I'd be surprised if we ever got an episode of TV like it ever again.

True that. This bit though..legit nightmare fuel.

tumblr_os57u0xroz1rhfp81o1_400.gif

tenor.gif

Show was awesome but the ending was the dumbest thing ive seen. Its like they had 24 hours to do it, came up with the stupidest idea and used the cheapest cgi.

Still im not keen on a return as there was enough things to call it a day. If they wanted a new Dexter, should of used his son as a grown up psycho like his dad.

Grinchy

Banned
The thread made me go back and re-watch the first episode of Season 1. It's still legitimately good. The flashbacks with his dad may be a little odd or even a little rushed ("Oh, you like killing things? Well, nothing that can be done about that. Wanna start killing people?") but still quite good. And I forgot how much I missed Doakes.

Dural

Show was awesome but the ending was the dumbest thing ive seen. Its like they had 24 hours to do it, came up with the stupidest idea and used the cheapest cgi.

Still im not keen on a return as there was enough things to call it a day. If they wanted a new Dexter, should of used his son as a grown up psycho like his dad.

At the time many were thinking this was going to be the last season or two, him grooming his son as his dad him since they were both born in blood.

Kadayi

Banned
The thread made me go back and re-watch the first episode of Season 1. It's still legitimately good. The flashbacks with his dad may be a little odd or even a little rushed ("Oh, you like killing things? Well, nothing that can be done about that. Wanna start killing people?") but still quite good. And I forgot how much I missed Doakes.

Yeah Doakes was awesome. Should have kept him around.

bitbydeath

”We want this to not be Dexter Season 9,” he continued. “Ten years, or however many years, have passed by the time this will air, and the show will reflect that time passage. So far as the ending of the show, this will have no resemblance to how the original finale was. It’s a great opportunity to write a second finale.”

Given the lukewarm reaction to the September 2013 series finale, from both viewers and even series lead Hall himself, “This is an opportunity to make that right,” Phillips said. “But that’s not why we’re doing it.”

As for righting/retconning any specific perceived wrongs, “We’re not undoing anything,” Phillips maintained. “We’re not going to betray the audience and say, ‘Whoops, that was all a dream.’ What happened in the first eight years happened in the first eight years.”

Malakhov

Banned
Up to season 4 ending it was the best series ever, then it went to shit. They didn't stop when they needed to, unlike breaking bad which is the best series ever

Glad to see the original front-runner from season 1-4 is back though, save this shit please.

borborygmus

Only season 1 was good. Season 2 was an unnecessary epilogue. Season 3 was boring. Season 4 was shit. I like John Lithgow but the revelation that the reporter was the trinity killer's daughter was such an ass pull.

Last edited:

Salz01

I’m excited. Dexter early seasons was great TV. Hated the last season. Wish they would bring back Doakes too. 10 episodes doesn’t seem to much though.

DogofWar

I really liked the first two seasons, 3 and 4 were okay but I lost interest in 5 an did not even finish it. Probably for the greater good then.

ESPOMAN

At least it the showrunner that did the first four seasons. I just want a season where everyone finds out Dexter is the bay harbor butcher. Hopefully most of the cast comes back.

ESPOMAN

It's such a weird show, it's part soap opera part criminal investigation part supernatural thriller. The soap opera vibe puts people off I think, and probably the fact that the first two seasons look really dated now. Lynch wasn't there for most of season 2 and it goes off the rails a lot before he brings it back in the finale. Stick with it. Season 3 is pure fucking Lynch.

It's kind of love it or hate it honestly, but if you love it you're really going to love it.
I loved season one and most two of Twin Peaks and the movie. I was not the biggest fan of season 3 however. I still enjoyed it but liked the other seasons more.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
I remember flying through Dexter, they kept bringing in new killers perfect show for today , very interested in the high IQ kills it’ll attract old and new fans I think.

Wow I wrote a fucking essay on my thoughts on the show and specifically season 4 and when I tried to post I got an error message. Everything got deleted. Well in short you're all wrong and season 4 sucks. I ain't writing all that again.

Grinchy

Banned
I went and watched seasons 6, 7 and 8 because I had never watched them back when the show was airing. It's not that every aspect of all 3 of these seasons was bad, but there was a lot of really dumb shit. It just got harder and harder to believe in anything and the character motivations were getting so sloppy.

And that ending really was awful. I had heard a bunch of stuff about how Deb and Dexter start hooking up back when the show was airing, but that didn't happen. It was just Deb at one point saying she was in love with him while she was confused in a weird spot.

Shows problem is it didn't want to end when there was only one obvious conclusion in sight. After Trinity they wanted to run with a formula where Dexter just keeps killing other smarter or more radical killers.

It would be like if after Gus, there was a new even more crazy drug dealer with more influence than Gus and Walt has to deal with him now!

Dexter needed to face his crimes and pay for the shit he had been getting away with for all this time, that was the only arc that made sense after season 4. Whether it be at the hands of anither killer, his sister or the executioners chair.

Now I honestly couldn't care how Dexter's story ends. Everything after season 4 is a muddled mess that I don't have patience for. Even if this is great, it can't undo the damage done to what was once an excellent show.

bitbydeath

I’m thinking Dexter will die and if the son is well received they will create a spin-off to take his place.

We’re moving forward to an ending that will be, as Chekhov said, surprising but inevitable,” says executive producer Clyde Phillips.

In the revival, eight years have passed, and Dexter is in a new locale, “somewhere we’ve never seen him before,” says Phillips, who plans to start production in January.

Familiar characters return (maybe Dexter’s now-teenage son, Harrison?), and Dexter again battles a big, bad character à la John Lithgow’s Trinity Killer or Jimmy Smits’ murderous ADA Miguel Prado from the series.

But his biggest adversary, of course, is himself.

“Dexter always has what we call ‘the dark passenger’ living inside him,” says Phillips. “He is more grounded than he’s ever been, but that dark passenger is a voice he cannot deny. This is Dexter. People are going to die.”

Last edited:

bitbydeath

They would need to undo the entire final season to even begin to pull it out of the shitter.

I was fine with Deb dying but the entire season should have focused on him being under the radar and killing his friends IMO.

If they could go back and change anything it should be the first season and make it more like the books where Brian (his brother) and Doakes survives. And Maria dies.

Last edited:

Arkam

Maybe I am misremembering something, but where are people getting this "up to Season 4 was good"? First season was great, second one dipped and I thought it was over before the end of the third. Again maybe I am misremembering. But, whenever Dexter started losing all is "atypical" behaviors and got a girlfriend the show was done.

To the OP.... very low expectations on this one.

bitbydeath

Maybe I am misremembering something, but where are people getting this "up to Season 4 was good"? First season was great, second one dipped and I thought it was over before the end of the third. Again maybe I am misremembering. But, whenever Dexter started losing all is "atypical" behaviors and got a girlfriend the show was done.

You mean Rita in the first season being the girlfriend?

Arkam

You mean Rita in the first season being the girlfriend?
I honestly have no idea. I vaguely remember his first relationship. I do believe that one highlights what I mean. Didnt they have intimacy problems or something due to Dexter not picking up what she was dropping? I just remember I was dating this girl who was waay into the show and made me watch a few seasons and catch up to the "new season" which I think was 4 but I have very spotty memory on this. I know I saw through John Lithgow for sure. But anyway somewhere along teh way (early on) Dexter started being more and more 'normal'. And this for me killed the character. Him being a neuro atypical made his crazy attention to detail and b/w since of justice that validated his murders all seem believable. But when starts acting like Ted Mosby it goes away.

DKehoe

Gold Member

I liked 1 and 2 then after that the odd numbered seasons were bad and the even numbered ones were decent to good. I fell off after season 6 though.

Top Bottom