• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[DF] A Plague Tale Innocence: PS5 vs Xbox Series X/S - Plus: Xbox's Stealth 120Hz Mode Tested

lh032

I cry about Xbox and hate PlayStation.
Most TVs in the last 18 months have this feature ….it’s not some exotic tech and the beauty of this is most people don’t even know it’s on unless they are looking through the Xbox settings
If I'm not mistaken, most TV with VRR is not cheap.

Furthermore, I personally believe the average consumer out there don't even know what is a VRR.

Nah the mistake they made with the xss is making it 4 tflops. If it was 5 rdna tflops, it wouldve easily matched the 6 Polaris tflops x1x.

Instead, the nerfed it even more by giving it a low ram bandwidth.

Just a lot of really bad cost cutting decisions.
The XSS is considerably more powerful than the newly announced Steam Deck which only has 1.6 TF of compute performance. It's creation was not high performance or high resolution graphics. It is cheaper than said Steam Deck and is a fantastic entry point into Game pass. If offers more features than the X1X does (no SFS, VA, RT, or SSD on X1X) and by the way offers more 120fps games than the X1X AND a current generation console as well. For the cost, performance, and features it offers the best value for current generation games so far. Pretty hard to see it as a mistake. It fits nicely as an option for gamers on a budget.

Banjo64

cumsessed
Most TVs in the last 18 months have this feature ….it’s not some exotic tech and the beauty of this is most people don’t even know it’s on unless they are looking through the Xbox settings
Exactly. PS needs VRR now. If they don’t sort it quickly more and more games will have unlocked 120fps options on Xbox but not PS, and when Xbox’s next gen machines launch those games will be locked 120fps whilst PS will need further dev patches. It’ll just further cement Xbox’s back compat dominance.

Md Ray

This is frankly how VRR should be used in the next-gen consoles. It shouldn't be a band-aid for when your performance drops below 60fps but to improve the experience when it can go above that.

There's a far bigger difference between 60fps and 90fps than there is between 90fps and 120fps. Once you're in the 85fps+ range then you've already passed the threshold where it starts mattering less and chasing the full 120fps is fairly wasteful in this regard. Let alone when the game needs to drop resolution down to 1080p on a 4k display.
This is 100% true.

I've actually been playing this game at locked 90fps at 1872p on a 3070 equipped PC, because like you say 90->120 didn't feel like a big jump and 120fps also requires a res downgrade to near 1080p-levels. Also, 90fps is already 75% of 120fps so targeting 120 starts to matter less.

Yeah, GPU utilization is quite high at 1872p, Ultra most of the time, so there may be more frequent frame rate dips... But due to VRR those drops to 80-85fps feel completely non-existent in busier sections. Also with the ability to turn off chromatic aberration, motion blur, film grain... PC is the best way to play. The only downside is no HDR.

Last edited:

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not

Furthermore, I personally believe the average consumer out there don't even know what is a VRR.

IF your TV/Monitor is doing 120Hz strong chance you got a VRR capable screen.

f you are only play at 60Hz then go back to the stone age you cave man.

Furthermore, if the average consumer doesnt know what VRR is (which the TV will activate itself anyway) then they likely also dont care that the 120Hz mode doesnt actually hit 120Hz nor do they care that the resolution isnt 4K but a reconstructed 4K.
Nor do they care the game sometimes drops to the mid 50s.

Last edited:

assurdum

Banned
To be fair on ps5 seems runs a bit worse but this patch doesn't seems exactly the best offer possible considered they lowered some graphic setting even compared the past generation.

lh032

I cry about Xbox and hate PlayStation.
IF your TV/Monitor is doing 120Hz strong chance you got a VRR capable screen.

f you are only play at 60Hz then go back to the stone age you cave man.

Furthermore, if the average consumer doesnt know what VRR is (which the TV will activate itself anyway) then they likely also dont care that the 120Hz mode doesnt actually hit 120Hz nor do they care that the resolution isnt 4K but a reconstructed 4K.
Nor do they care the game sometimes drops to the mid 50s.
Meme Shock GIF by Evan Klar

*using 60hz monitor

dcmk7

Banned
The XSS is considerably more powerful than the newly announced Steam Deck which only has 1.6 TF of compute performance. It's creation was not high performance or high resolution graphics. It is cheaper than said Steam Deck and is a fantastic entry point into Game pass. If offers more features than the X1X does (no SFS, VA, RT, or SSD on X1X) and by the way offers more 120fps games than the X1X AND a current generation console as well. For the cost, performance, and features it offers the best value for current generation games so far. Pretty hard to see it as a mistake. It fits nicely as an option for gamers on a budget.
Pretty sure he has you blocked because of your past behaviour.

Put Darkmage and Riky on ignore. They are part of a sociopathic LOL brigade who can only communicate with LOL emojis because what I presume to be some kind of stunted emotional development.

It all started with Sleep Doctor and a couple of other fanboys who struggled to formulate replies upon being triggered by criticism of their favorite console. He got himself perma'd a while ago but Riky and DarkMage managed to catch this virus before his ban. Now putting them on ignore is the best way to rid your notification feed of these sociopath LOL givers.

Last edited:

ZywyPL

Banned
This is frankly how VRR should be used in the next-gen consoles. It shouldn't be a band-aid for when your performance drops below 60fps but to improve the experience when it can go above that.

IMO turning the VRR on should just unlock the framerate in every single game just like we have it in this game, no matter what framerate it targets otherwise. But that would require a system-level integration and I'm afraid it's already too late for that, every single game operates on its own terms and it's all in devs hands to utilize the tech properly, doesn't matter if you have a VRR-capable console and TV, it won't be used until the dev decides to.

your probably right about the average consumer not knowing what vrr is but most new tvs auto detect and turn on for the series x so you never even see it….I had to click the setting and info to see it was even on and yep…it was

expensive is 3k aud and over in my books so I’m not sure what you class as expensive but you can get vrr in quite a few entry or mid level tvs around 1200aud

Cre8

You want a shot at the champ? [NG gif winner July 23]
Some of yall have too much time on your hands.
The benefit of WFH, you can do all the office stuff and can take a break to do whatever you wants without other people looking over your shoulder.

SmokSmog

Based on and compared to what?
Based on desktop Zen2, typical stock Zen2 with average memory has around 75ns latency while PS5 has double of that. There is more, PS5 and XSX have only 1/4 of desktop L3 cache and lower clocks.

Console CPUs are slower than laptop Zen2 variants because of lower clocks and horrendous memory latency.

It is what it is, you get what you paid for. XSX is struggling to get 120FPS in DIRT5, devs removed a lot of animated background NPCs in 120hz mode.

Md Ray

Based on desktop Zen2, typical stock Zen2 with average memory has around 75ns latency while PS5 has double of that. There is more, PS5 and XSX have only 1/4 of desktop L3 cache and lower clocks.

Console CPUs are slower than laptop Zen2 variants because of lower clocks and horrendous memory latency.

It is what it is, you get what you paid for. XSX is struggling to get 120FPS in DIRT5, devs removed a lot of animated background NPCs in 120hz mode.
Except in the Plague Tale's case, it is GPU-bound with an unlocked framerate on both X|S.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Pretty sure he has you blocked because of your past behaviour.
lol I woke up to reactions on a 6 month old post of mine wondering just what the hell is going on and just realized it was because you quoted me.

But yeah, that particular post was in reply to threadsthatbindsus wondering just the hell he wrote that deserved a LOL reaction. I really dont see how that contributes to a discussion and both darkmage and riky are guilty of it. It fills up my reaction feed with nonsense reactions, but i dont mind engaging with ignored users every now and then as long as they put in some effort to articulate their thoughts instead of communicating solely through LOL emojis.

Steam deck is a handheld. You can only compare it to other handhelds because its power envelope is severely limited by its size and battery life. And right now its biggest competition is selling an OLED model for $350 with just 0.19 tflops.

Actually on many a occassions, I have said that the XSS wouldve been a great handheld. MS was actually testing a 2.0 tflops vega APU for 20W back in 2019. They shouldve just gone with that except with RDNA 2.0 CUs.

The person I was replying to brought up the x1x,a remarkable console that ran several games at native 4k including THE best looking game of last gen RDR2, and that shouldve been the BASE performance of the xss model. But the XSX relied heavily on the ram bandwidth AND the 12 GB of VRAM to get that kind of performance. Cutting those two things along with leaving out a full tflops of power is indeed a big mistake. The console itself is not. The idea is fine. It just came at the expense of too many cut corners. A $399 8 tflops version wouldve been a better sell.

Riky

$MSFT
Watching the NXgamer comparison he clearly states that image quality is better on Series S than last gen machines and of course you get the massive load time improvements and more importantly more than twice the framerate. Series S basically smokes the last gen versions in the areas that matter.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
as usual, both XSX and PS5 identical and VRR which hardly anybody use.

But if one has a VRR display makes this one and many others right now a no brainer, if they have both consoles.

But if someone only has just one platform they are not missing out then.

Watching the NXgamer comparison he clearly states that image quality is better on Series S than last gen machines and of course you get the massive load time improvements and more importantly more than twice the framerate. Series S basically smokes the last gen versions in the areas that matter.

Which to me is the biggest place for the S for people who want to upgrade from launch day Xbox Ones and dont care about bleeding edge performance but get said huge load time improvement.

Top Bottom