• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DF article GTA V - X360 vs PS3

Drencrom

Rehosted, click to enlarge
2Ed8.jpg

2Gj0.jpg
PS3 having better ground textures is pretty much the only difference

I would say probably a year and they will throw all the DLC in there and call it the GOTY edition for PS4/Xbone/PC.

Yeah I can see that happening. Might be benefits to GTA Online too, like 24-32 players. I would certainly double dip. I'm a slave to Rockstars games.

Seance

Banned
Both versions look bad :( I'm probably gonna get this for 360 tomorrow but it really sucks because I know how good this game would be on PC just through 1080p60 and non-shit textures alone :(

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
the texture thing is a glitch, this should easily get fixed on the 360 with a title update.

Will be interesting to see if DF revisits after the eventual title updates to see the differences.

Rehosted, click to enlarge

PS3 having better ground textures is pretty much the only difference

There's a few others mentioned in the article though they're not as big ..

- 360 has better reflection on indoor mirrors
- 360 has better frame rate in in-engine scenes.
- PS3 can randomly pull out more frames in action scenes, it flip flops on either.

Laranja

I'm pretty surprised, to be honest. I wasn't expecting the PS3 version to be the better one, especially after GTA IV and RDR.

I'm glad I won't be playing the worse version, for once!

BeeDog

I can't access the EG article currently, but do they mention any differences in sound quality etc.? Is the PS3 version using the extra space for something noticeable?

Vire

Way to not bold this in the OP.

Simply put, having both discs installed to the 360's HDD appears to create a bottleneck for the engine as it attempts to draw these assets from the same source, but playing straight from disc gives us comparable results to PS3

So just don't install the first disc and it's the same?

Kind of a shame they finally got it right at the sunset of the generation.

Nice to hear the two are so close though, only thing pulling me towards 360 is that my friends are all there

I got the 360 versions of GTAIV and RDR, but ps3 on a hunch for GTAV
I chose wisely

Same! Our gut was right. I’ll be honest, I would have been slightly disappointed if the 360 version turned out better when I already bought the PS3 version.

Anyway...I’ve been playing the PS3 version off the disc for like the past 8 hours and I’m very happy with the overall performance. Good job RockGOD! ^_^

leng jai

So it comes down to the controller basically. 360 still wins.

I wonder if the volume is mixed higher on the PS3 version? I have to turn up my receiver to ridiculous levels to get a decent volume on the 360 version.

nib95

Banned

Both versions look worse straight from the disc is how I read it (when the site would load). It's when both are installed that the 360 version messes up whilst the PS3 version is improved?

Awesome. Wasn't planning on resubbing gold so I didn't have much of a choice

Hopefully I get a chance to sit down with the game some time soon.

Vire

I don't find the graphics particularly impressive from a texture resolution standpoint on either version.

Red Dead was much more impressive to me. *shrug*

SolidSnake3035

Neo Member
Damn, both of those screens look horrible...

Still, if it's as fun as people say maybe that doesn't matter? And maybe it's less noticeable while playing? (i.e. not a still image)

Ugh... it just feels so shitty buying something that looks like that when there are PC games...
This is a tough decision.

Also, I want to get it on PS3 but don't have anyone to play it with on there. :-/

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
I don't find the graphics particularly impressive from a texture resolution standpoint on either version.

Red Dead was much more impressive to me. *shrug*
Really? GTA requires much greater texture variety than Red Dead ever did. It's easier to use higher resolution textures in a world like that of Red Dead.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Will the 360 version get a patch to fix the streaming issues do you think?

yeah, DF mentioned it looks like a glitch. The skyrim texture glitch was sorted out with title updates shortly after the game came out. I imagine this will too.

Wow the graffiti resolution is terrible. It's clear that the original art was way higher resolution, and you'll see it on the PC version.

kvn

The improvement in performance AND graphics at the sime time is so fucking incredible. Plus like 98% platform parity. I cannot believe it. Such a pleasant situation for gamers.

nampad

Wouldn't have thought that a Rockstar game will look better on PS3 in this gen after all those games we got beforehand.

Feindflug

OK I'm confused...at the end of the article he said this:

However, it's apparent that the PS3 version has an undeniable advantage in one area: even to the naked eye, ground textures on 360 are blurred as a result of what appears to be unoptimised asset streaming.

So are the streaming issues fixed with playing from the disc as R* suggested or not? o_O

omonimo

Banned
This is just a proof that PS3 is more powerful than X360 once you understand its bizzare cell.

I admit that I expected DF to give this to 360 no matter what...they deserve an apology from me.
I'm sorry .

They prepare the ground for the 900p game incoming to xbone compared the 1080p native on ps4. Prepare yourself to read Leadbetter quote like 900p is quite indistiguish to 1080p .

Vire

No, read the article.

I did, it seems you need to read the article. Read this entire quote.
DF said:
Despite each console's mandatory installs - 7.8GB for 360 via a separate disc and 8.4GB on PS3 - it quickly becomes clear that there's an asset-streaming issue on Microsoft's platform. This essentially manifests as blurrier textures in a number of spots, particularly for ground assets like concrete, grass and dirt. Whether you're at the city centre or in the wilderness, ground assets beneath Trevor, Michael or Franklin's feet are a pixel-perfect match for the PS3 version equivalent, but the quality dips off noticeably a metre ahead in the player's field of view on 360.

Normally we'd put this down to inferior texture filtering, but it's often the case that higher-grade ground textures never pop in during certain cut-scenes either. Best shown in the very first clip in the video, based around the O'Neill brothers' farm, the flatness of these surfaces is severe enough to prompt a retrial with two other 360s we had available. However, in every case the PS3 turns up trumps with sharper textures, proving it's not the fault of a single borked console - this is the reality for all 360 owners.

This leads to a second salient point regarding the 360 release. As it transpires, while a disc one install to the HDD is absolutely mandatory, it is also possible to install disc two - used to boot and play the game from then onwards - optionally from the Xbox dashboard. We'd advise avoiding this tactic if possible, as does Rockstar itself, despite the obvious benefits of quietening older 360s during play and saving on general wear-and-tear to the optical drive. In our experience, it increases the frequency of geometry and texture pop-in during quickly-cut cinematics, such as the pier-side railings and Ferris wheel that feature in the game's opening montage - just two examples among many. We have tried installing the play disc to a USB flash drive though and this does seem to resolve the issue.

Simply put, having both discs installed to the 360's HDD appears to create a bottleneck for the engine as it attempts to draw these assets from the same source, but playing straight from disc gives us comparable results to PS3. This hampers the experience much more than the launch issues Skyrim had, where that game suffered from similar texture-streaming when installed. In this case, the engine is apparently optimised to utilise bandwidth from both the disc drive and HDD at once.

Running straight from disc, then, there's little to distinguish the PS3 and 360 releases when it comes to environmental detail, but there are some curious catches. Flying the Cuban 800 plane around shows up variations in grass placement, but more striking is the presentation of palm trees regularly sighted around the city. Their more flourishing look on 360 is unusual given the parity elsewhere, though we notice the upshot of this is a nasty pixel-crawl across their tops during slow pans, suggesting a lack of alpha-to-coverage to mitigate the extra-thin details. Also falling within nitpick territory is a slight difference to reflection map resolution while in front of Franklin's bedroom mirror - the PS3 delivering a lower-quality, pixellated alternative to the 360's reflections.

Woah PS3 version is better this time?

I've been putting been putting more time into this game, traveling all over, including the country side, and I can say this is the most impressive console game I've ever played.

I can't believe how well the draw distance is, you can see cars hundreds of meters away and they don't fade in like other open world games, and if you keep your eye on them they'll eventually pass you by.

I was standing on a hill looking down at the traffic in awe (crazy I know) at the traffic- and it's not just the traffic that's been given an upgrade, you'll see buildings way into the distance, mountains, cars, roads stretching all the way back. I've never seen it done like this. Their streaming engine is in a class of its own.

I have to congratulate R* on the ps3 version. The framerate is consistent, by that I mean, you won't find it going from 30fps to 15fps in heavy traffic, it may drop some frames but the game still feels very much playable.

I honestly wasn't expecting the ps3 to win the face off. I thought as usual the 360 would
get the nod. I hope they fix the streaming issues with a patch.

Textures are sharp and detailed with some decent texture filtering included.

Another thing I was impressed by was the skin shading. This is the first game I've seen that has done it right. Looks like they're using something like sub-surface scatting.

madmackem

the texture thing is a glitch, this should easily get fixed on the 360 with a title update.

Will be interesting to see if DF revisits after the eventual title updates to see the differences.

There's a few others mentioned in the article though they're not as big ..

- 360 has better reflection on indoor mirrors
- 360 has better frame rate in in-engine scenes.
- PS3 can randomly pull out more frames in action scenes, it flip flops on either.

Are you sure they installed the disc though, thats the only glitch thats being reported?.

Eusis

g1360237692262391047.jpg

Embargoes suck for multi console owners, i didn't pre-order the PS3 version because i was expecting a GTA4, Midnight Club:LA, Red Dead situation again.
Hearing about Max Payne 3 running much more closely (and the fact Sony seemed unusually close this time around versus the days of Peter Moore touting a GTA tattoo) made more confident that the PS3, at worst, was going to have a much more minor disadvantage than the other two Rockstar open world titles. At worst... well, I tried the full game trial of GTAIV on PSN and it really wasn't THAT bad, and there's always the inevitable PC port followed by crazy low sale for double dipping which was going to happen regardless.

EDIT: Still, it sounds VERY close so it's not really a situation I'd feel too badly for. Bayonetta on PS3 over 360 this definitely isn't.

Very good to hear that PS3 and 360 are pretty much exactly the same giving every gamer the same excellent experience. Games like RDR had several terrible drawbacks on PS3.

NBtoaster

It's often obvious how mushy the 360 textures are while playing.
It can often look really bad:
amarec20130917-112938r7snx.png

Disappointing, hope it can be fixed.

Also, to all those people who invested a bit more in Blu-ray technology back in the starting days of PS3, it now pays off if it hasn't already.

But I kinda feel that R* and Sony are coming along greatly here lately with GTAV and their latest promotional cooperations. A PS4 versions seems more and more likely.

Vire

The way I understand is that the blurry textures happen from disc or hdd. However, if you install completely you also get this:

It's not completely clear though.

Then you don't understand at all. Read it again, it's pretty clear.

We have tried installing the play disc to a USB flash drive though and this does seem to resolve the issue.

Running straight from disc, then, there's little to distinguish the PS3 and 360 releases when it comes to environmental detail

Simply put, having both discs installed to the 360's HDD appears to create a bottleneck for the engine as it attempts to draw these assets from the same source, but playing straight from disc gives us comparable results to PS3.

Metfanant

first off...kudos to R* for basically achieving parity between the two platforms...really an impressive feat considering the scope of this game...ill probably head out at some point today and pick this up on the PS3...was basically waiting on this comparison to decide which one to get...

So are the streaming issues fixed with playing from the disc as R* suggested or not? o_O

no...but things are WORSE if you install disc 2 to the HDD...

basically the game is DESIGNED to stream assets from two places at once (the HDD and the disc). By installing both discs to the HDD you then create a bottleneck because the CPU/GPU can only pull data from one place (the HDD) and it makes things worse on the 360...no word on how the digital PSN version handles things...

as for the ground textures...they are just plain better on the PS3....though my guess is that this is a glitch and will probably be patched at some point in the near future

Top Bottom