• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[DF] BioShock The Collection on Switch - A Remaster That Works - All Games Tested

How does the Switch handle the BioShock collection? Alex and Tom are here to let us know. Let's find out...

Every game tested. Nintendo Switch handles all three BioShock games superbly, using a dynamic 1080p resolution to allow for a typically 30fps level of performance. Comparisons with Xbox One X also show it using the updates settings - including improved FOV - giving it an advantage over the last-gen originals.

Summary (updating

- BioShock 1 and 2 - dynamic 1080p while docked, 972p in heavy fights
- Infinite tends to drop lower, 810p in busier fights
-Effects are sub-HD, marked reduction in effect quality
- Low AF on Switch
- not much to report on in terms of dropped frames, seems to hold 30 fps very well

Last edited:

stranno

Masagrator has released the new version of ReverseNX-RT with real time switch between dock and portable mode.

Party at DF HQ :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Last edited:

Banned
so from the lack of a single mentioning of it, am I right to think that the vsync/framerate lock toggle of the original last gen versions is not present here?
if so, that's a major bummer as it means that should there ever be a more powerful Switch variant with a boost mode function, this would need a dedicated patch in order to get it to 60fps should the hardware be capable of running it that fast.

Last edited:

Fbh

Given the Switch hardware, with games like this I'm usually more interested in how it compares to the original version on last gen console than how it compared with the Xbox 1 X. Always find it weird when they focus so much of the video on the obvious fact it looks worse, blurrier and runs worse than the strongest current gen console as opposed to how it has been improved compared to the original.

Either way, seems pretty good. Some upgrades compared to the last gen version, at higher resolution, with a better FOV and solid 30fps. Must probably look nice in handheld mode.

Last edited:

Banned
Given the Switch hardware, with games like this I'm usually more interested in how it compares to the original version on last gen console than how it compared with the Xbox 1 X. Always find it weird when they focus so much of the video on the obvious fact it looks worse, blurrier and runs worse than the strongest current gen console as opposed to how it has been improved compared to the original.

Either way, seems pretty good. Some upgrades compared to the last gen version, at higher resolution, with a better FOV and solid 30fps. Must probably look nice in handheld mode.

they compared comparable versions, and since these are based on the newer versions, why should they compared it to the non-remastered versions?

Last edited:

Fbh

they compared comparable versions, and since these are based on the newer versions, why should they compared it to the non-remastered versions?

Because as a remaster on the weakest current gen console I care more about how it has been improved over the original console release than spending 17 minutes hearing about the obvious fact that it looks and runs better on the 1X?

Who is the video for ? People that specifically own a 1X and Switch, want to pick the remaster and aren't sure which version will look nicer?

I think comparing it to the other current gen versions makes perfect sense. But focusing almost the entire video on how it compares specifically to the 1X seems pointless. If anything comparing it to the Ps4 or OG Xb1 would make more sense since there's WAY more people with those systems and they are also closer to Switch in price and power compared to the 1X

Last edited:
From what I understand regarding each game, most of the game isn't on the cartridge and has to be downloaded. Fuck that practice. It's disgusting and Nintendo shouldn't allow it.

Banned
Because as a remaster on the weakest current gen console I care more about how it has been improved over the original console release than spending 17 minutes hearing about the obvious fact that it looks and runs better on the 1X?

Who is the video for ? People that specifically own a 1X and Switch, want to pick the remaster and aren't sure which version will look nicer?

I think comparing it to the other current gen versions makes perfect sense. But focusing almost the entire video on how it compares specifically to the 1X seems pointless. If anything comparing it to the Ps4 or OG Xb1 would make more sense since there's WAY more people with those systems and they are also closer to Switch in price and power compared to the 1X

the only difference between the base Xbox One and the One X versions is the resolution.

also the comparison between the original last gen vereions and Switch would be ridiculous because they look completely different in many ways.
and hearing that it's holding close to 1080p at a near flat 30fps is info enough to know it's way better than the last gen versions, since they ran at 720p and a very unstable framerate, and especially the PS3 version of the first game was absolute trash.

Mypmarlo

Banned

Played half of Infinite.
It's pretty much identical to X360/ps3 version as far as post effects pipeline n detail draw in settings go, but with a very nice textures face lift n resolution bump at a very stable 30 fps(x360/PS3 24-30)
Outside occasional object n shadow pop-in in some busy scenes it holds up really good.

Last edited:
Reactions: Fbh
Top Bottom