• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[DF] - Borderlands 3 PS5 vs Xbox Series X: 4K60 and 120fps Modes Tested - Plus Series S Comparisons!

Tom from DF breaks down the FREE NG upgrades for Borderlands 3!

Everything there is to know about Borderlands 3's new PS5 and Xbox Series X support. Hitting 4K and 60 frames per second is the priority for Gearbox's efforts here, though the premium consoles also feature an ambitious 120Hz mode. How do they all hold up in performance stakes - and can Series S match up in with its 1440p visuals?

I am only halfway thru the vid but so far he has said:

- Dynamic 4k on PS4 and XsX, dynamic 1440p on XsS
- the PS5 version has better shadows and better foliage density (seems to be a carryover effect from Pro vs One X versions having same difference)
- Still watching for more summary details
- 120fps mode dips to 80 and everything in between in heavy combat
- XsX is the better choice for 120 fps mode, according to Tom (around the 12:20 mark), especially with VRR support but also has less dips in 120fps mode overall

Stay frosty out there.

giphy.gif

I own the game on PC, haven't played any of the DLCs. Need to check it out on PS5, free upgrade and game can be found cheap.

Disclaimer: No one who replies to this thread will get a "strange and disturbing" DM from me. I swear.

edit: From ethomaz ethomaz

Article for these that like.

Also, as brought up by THEAP99 THEAP99 apparently the game has great DualSense implementation. I have not had a chance to play it on PS5 but I have heard this mentioned by others as well.

--------------------

Final edit

loading comparisons

Screenshot-13.png

from Riky Riky

Last edited:
Borderlands 3 = Fail of the Year 2019
This Game needs a very long Break.

Let us wait a little bit to see what can Dev (or not) to Archiv with a little more practice in the Tool's.

Last edited:

THEAP99

Banned

On top of this there is a further wrinkle to comparisons between PS5 and Series X: just about everything is squarely matched between the two, but plant density has an advantage on Sony's machine.

One final way to split the three is loading times. Loading screens are a regular sight in Borderlands, with fast travel between Sanctuary, large world hubs, and smaller areas. Again there is a consistent advantage on PS5 - completing a load to the Droughts in 12 seconds, compared to the 14-15 seconds on Xbox machines.

The bottom line? Both consoles are prone to fluctuations at 120Hz, some kicking in harder on Series X at points, others on PS5 - but on the whole it is Series X with a lead, while PS5 has a small selection of visual improvements and faster loading times. For anyone looking at getting the best 120Hz performance though, the vote has to go on Series X. For the higher baseline performance, and having VRR, it has an advantage. There's little to split the two in 60fps, but 120Hz gives Microsoft's machine an identifiable plus. Where both need some work is in getting a more stable lock at 60fps. Again, Series X can lean in to VRR here, but not everyone has a suitably equipped screen. Meanwhile, Series S's overall smoother performance level suggests that the option for more aggressive DRS scaling could help to alleviate the issues. Regardless, even though there are issues, Borderlands 3 delivers a big improvement over the last-gen versions, with just a patch or two needed to get this game exactly where it needs to be.

They did not mention anything about the dualsense advantage, but they gave the overall W to the series x on this one..

GiJoint

Have to admit i genuinely thought there would be a noticeable difference in Cross platform games between XSX vs PS5, wonder if it really is down to the tools on Xbox simply not being as good (for now) as the ones on Sony's machine but for an extra 2tf I was expecting a bigger difference
I do recall reading somewhere devs have absolutely praised how easy it is to work with Sony PS4 onward.
You have to remember that Sony were cut deep by how notoriously hard the PS3 was and made it a mission to never be like that again and give developers much better support and tools to tap into the hardware.

ethomaz

Banned
- Dynamic 4k 60fps minimum was 2016p.
- Dynamic 1080p 120fps minimum was 810p.
- Shadows and plant density are better on PS5.
- Loadtimes about 20-25% better on PS5.
- Cutscenes are 30fps.
- Pretty much flawless 60fps in gameplay except for specific places that have little dips to 50fps.
- 120fps mode dips to 80fps over stress.
- 120fps has advantage on Xbox due the VRR making 90-120fps smoother in capable TV$.

Last edited:

Skifi28

The hitching when opening chests or exploding enemies is very noticable, but most of the game seems to run fine. Haptics feel great, but I don't like the trigger implementation. Way too strong, I'd hurt my finger if I played liked that for an hour. Deactivated immediately.

Just chiming in to say the haptics and triggers are great on the DualSense but I haven't played COD on the PS5 (which is supposed to be even better in that regard).

With that said, I've been playing in resolution mode and it's been solid.

Does it do the COD thing where different guns have different trigger feedbacks?

KAL2006

Banned
So PS5 wins again over Series X. However 120FPS is better on Series X thanks to VRR but Sony will update the PS5 with VRR in the future with a firmware update.

When will Series X tools become better where everyone can see a noticeable advantage on Series X as everyone was expecting. Didn't we all think the difference would be as big as PS4 was to Xbox One. We need atleast 5 games in a row with a considerable advantage on Series X to match peoples expectations of the most powerful console.

geordiemp

- Dynamic 4k 60fps minimum was 2016p.
- Dynamic 1080p 120fps minimum was 810p.
- Shadows and plant density are better on PS5.
- Loadtimes about 20-25% better on PS5.
- Cutscenes are 30fps.
- Pretty much flawless 60fps in gameplay except for specific places that have little dips to 50fps.
- 120fps mode dips to 80fps over stress.
- 120fps has advantage on Xbox due the VRR making 90-130fps smoother in capable TV$.

Yay so we all need to buy TVs and play with wrong colours and blacks and shimmering etc

Remind me next year when proper VRR tvs come out

I guess I need to throw my LG OLED in the bin as its last years model. What a load.

Last edited:
Xbox 120 is better because you need a TV that's minimum 1000 quid.... Hmmm ok. I have a C9 btw but they can't use that as w point until VRR is in unit's that Barley anyone has.
Reading this on my £199 144hz 1080p monitor lol, which the 120hz mode is perfect for... ok then.

assurdum

Banned
Xbox 120 is better because you need a TV that's minimum 1000 quid.... Hmmm ok. I have a C9 btw but they can't use that as w point until VRR is in unit's that Barley anyone has.
The professionalism of DF. VG face off, serious business.

Last edited:

GHG

Gold Member
Does it do the COD thing where different guns have different trigger feedbacks?

Yeh different trigger feedback for different guns and ammo types but from what I've seen the difference is that if you hold the trigger down on automatic weapons the trigger doesn't kick back with every bullet fired.

Top Bottom