• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[DF] - Borderlands 3 PS5 vs Xbox Series X: 4K60 and 120fps Modes Tested - Plus Series S Comparisons!

azertydu91

Hard to Kill
Xbox won this one, like for like framerate is slightly higher in comparable cutscenes. With about 10 frames per second. On a console of 2 teraflops higher count. In 120fps mode. 95% of players will play this in 60fps and have no idea any differences exist.

This went exactly as I though it would. It's 360 vs PS3 all over again. It's going to be thelastword praising PS5 and Riky praisin Series X (with MrFunSocks giving thumbs up to his posts) and both sides claiming victory. We're looking at insanely small differences while the consoles trade punches. Exclusives will shine. Just buy the console where your friends play or where your previous ecosystem was.
Pretty spot on.Both consoles are really close as every trustable insiders said.

Ugh... people keep bragging about better foilage and shadows, instead of being upset that the devs released an upscaled version of the XB1 and PS4 version of the game.... IDK what everyone is bragging or so happy about... we waited for an upscale patch essentially.

Considering 99,9% of developers didn't bother releasing any upgrades for their ps4/xone games running on next gens it's still praise worthy that they bothered.

So you wouldn’t cite the dual sense controller as an advantage then, right?

You and Sony can say it’s coming all you want, but why wasn’t it there day 1? Why isn’t it there now? How long have they been making this console for? Can’t have a basic hdmi2.1 standard feature implemented after years of development? Seems weird.
Probably the same reason MS didn’t ship the tools on time to allow the Series X version to have good foliage and decent shadows. Companies fuck up all the time especially during an unprecedented Pandemic. The patch is coming for VRR but will Borderlands get patched to have better foliage and shadows on Series X? That remains to be seen.
Enjoy the wait.
Oh I will, probably the same way you enjoy waiting for the tools on Series X to catch up to the ones on PS5. 😎 It’s all a waiting game right?

Last edited:

sendit

So you wouldn’t cite the dual sense controller as an advantage then, right?

You and Sony can say it’s coming all you want, but why wasn’t it there day 1? Why isn’t it there now? How long have they been making this console for? Can’t have a basic hdmi2.1 standard feature implemented after years of development? Seems weird.

y39Zk5L.png

azertydu91

Hard to Kill
Enjoy the wait.
That is the most ironic post of all Neogaf, the people that want every sxs and xss users to wait for better tools and exclusives etc.... are now telling PS user to enjoy the wait ?
You guys are well placed to give that advice considering you guys must be expert at waiting.It has already been a gen and a half that you've been waiting games, so what about waiting again for better tools and waiting half a gen to get exclusives?
But hey you have VRR so you can all be happy that #xgongiveittoyou ... maybe one day.

Parity is bad for xbox, these little dips here and there are not what xbox people were promised.

The ps5 version of borderlands 3 is better, most people play the 60 mode, The ps5 version has more detail, it has better shadows, more follage, a better controller and faster loading than the xbox. IS THIS HARD TO UNDERSTAND?

Can you dispute the above? no, you can't, take your loss and move on.

Better? 1 or 2 fps dips for a second will hardly affect experience of SX version. Game is locked 60 99% of the time. Foliage issue is carry forward from One X version and devs are to be blamed for that.

Can Nvidia guarantee you that you will never experience any frame rate problems at 4k after buying 3090?
No, they can't. They know hardware is powerful and fully capable but if devs not doing their job properly then you can have problems on any hardware regardless of power.

MS can't take responsibility for how 3rd party devs work on their system.

Last edited:
I got a quick look only plus reading OP. I think DF said consoles are just using the presets from past gen. Which PS4pro had more work done to generate the foilage and shadows, no mention of textures though. 'more work done' is the only explanation i can think of why OneX did not get the same optimisation last gen.

As of now, all these comparisons feel like squeezing water from stone, not much left to be gleamed from them.

Until boths consoles are running closer to their innate capabilities, can we get fairer output 🤷‍♀️

We are talking about 12tf rdna2 console, why are u unconcerned that its not hitting a much higher resolution then then the 9tf rdna1.5 console, this is embarrassing for ms, i know ur going say tools bullshit, but lets say its not the tools, and most games going foward run better on the ps5, as a xbox fan where do u go from there, are u gonna sell ur xbox or just suck it up and forgive ms again.

J_Gamer.exe

It's much more convenient to choose a section where XSX has slight advantage in 120 FPS mode instead of vice versa apparently. It seems that Tom is as capable at hiding his bias as Alex, best continuations at the cost of credibility then.

Yeah so the only series x advantage is in 120 but there's advantages in different areas with similar scenes on both where PS5 is better in those scenes.

Hardly a consistent advantage for either.

Xbox won this one, like for like framerate is slightly higher in comparable cutscenes. With about 10 frames per second. On a console of 2 teraflops higher count. In 120fps mode. 95% of players will play this in 60fps and have no idea any differences exist.

This went exactly as I though it would. It's 360 vs PS3 all over again. It's going to be thelastword praising PS5 and Riky praisin Series X (with MrFunSocks giving thumbs up to his posts) and both sides claiming victory. We're looking at insanely small differences while the consoles trade punches. Exclusives will shine. Just buy the console where your friends play or where your previous ecosystem was.

Nope look at the like for like as close as the driving scene areas where ps5 is ahead in, this cant be called as a clear win.

thelastword

Banned
rUBoSLp.png

The 120 fps it's a win for series x this time, i think it's depends of dev and their environment
Seems like better reflections, lighting and resolution in that scene to me, Now add better shadows and foliage density that may be drawn in the foreground and to the sides of the pic where there is foliage and it's a huge advantage for PS5 quality wise....

I cannot wait for Halo: Infinite for Craig our savior to became more than just a face from one screenshot. It's given, that he is mascot of this gen.

But obviously there is this on same engine:
2vLBI8U.jpg

Which got fixed later on if not mistaken. But yeah, draw calls were called out multiple times past gen.
Much better foliage on PS5, Tom says the foliage was inherited from PS4 to PS5, are the better shadows inherited from PS4 too....The level of excuses and meandering DF utilizes in these faceoffs......As if this is the first game where PS5 has superior effects and quality....They are just deflectin every PS5 advantage......

Could you imagine if XBOX had better RT like PS5 does in COD, or better AA in DMC5, or much better settings in Dirt or better foliage and shadows in Borderlands 3, and still come out on top of performance or on par in most modes, the language they would use to describe that would be of a fellating variety....

Can't really call a total win in that mode excluding vrr, that definitely is an advantage for those 52 people that have it.
How many of these 52 people even have an XBOX Series X console anyway....Unless MS has been shipping 1500 VRR TV's with each console to win DF faceoffs...

----------------------------------------------------------
One thing is clear, no one should take the word of TOM, ALEX, Richard or Crybaby X as official on any average fps rating or even minimum rez counts unless they provide the receipts......These things should not be guessed based on selective biases......If you are to draw a conclusion in a non like for like 120fps frame count, do so with stats, not your guestimates, feelings or hunches....That's why Vgtech is invaluable, they show the receipts.....In Toms video, both versions of the game drop to 80fps territory, they both hit the 90's and below 120.....I found the drops wavers equally on both sides from time to time, so the average would be the same......

DF should be giving us average stats of the video, 60hz mode, 120hz mode, how hard can it be.....All these guesses mean nothing and VRR does not solve falling framerates for 99% of gamers, so to keep on bringing this up is really reaching, reminds me of when Dark10X use to bring up 120hz mode for XBONEX in games which tore like crazy and had worse performance on XBONEX vs PS4 PRO.......Like people would play in 1080p mode just to get rid of tearing, but he had no issue going into the menu to setup 1080p 120hz on XBOX, but had issues putting the PS4 at 1080p in the menu to get better performance in many games like Blackops 3, Kingdom Hearts etc......Funny enough, the XBONEX was touting 4K, the same 4K which caused DF to give XBOX the advantage in many faceoffs with worse performance and tearing, but now they were suggesting to reduce that rez to 1080p to get rid of tearing, sometimes even in 30fps games... They just go to too many depths to defend XBOX or to give them a win.........It makes no sense to keep propping features that isn't viable or makes no sense for the majority of the audience......Speak on framerates that exists, give us better average framerates than your guesses and keep VRR out of faceoffs, because as soon as Sony announces VRR, there would be no more mention of it, just like 1440p was no longer important in a select faceoff because Series S was not doing 1440p as hyped by DF........Who has 1440p tv's anyway, it hardly exists says Richard, but before launch it was a gamechanger just like VRR is now...,.....So many twists and turns, what is super important in a faceoff today is not important in another.......That consistency is as straight as Mr Hook...

Gearbox did not even change the preset used on the Xbox One, that eventually carried into One X and now Series X... Foliage and shadows should no longer be a problem if they cared about it.
Shadow was same quality on ps4 pro and x1x. Ps5 is just doing a better job in shadow than xsx. Nothing to do with previous gen . For foliage sure ps4 had more but not shadows . Shadows are also better on ps5 in COD CW in raytraced shadow quality

phil_t98

#SonyToo
One thing I wanna add which some people are adding on here is the losing time is better on PS5 due to the quick SSD which is true, people are then adding that the loading time is still to long as the SSD still isn’t being used to its full potential yet and again I fully agree on this, I will also add to the Xbox being more powerful TF wise and maybe that isn’t being used to its full potential yet.
Both sides have a lot to look forward to still

Leyasu

Banned
Gearbox did not even change the preset used on the Xbox One, that eventually carried into One X and now Series X... Foliage and shadows should no longer be a problem if they cared about it.

They said in the video that the upgrade was performance only which was confirmed by gearbox.

Even forza horizon had a patch that was performance only and used imported settings.

J_Gamer.exe

One thing I wanna add which some people are adding on here is the losing time is better on PS5 due to the quick SSD which is true, people are then adding that the loading time is still to long as the SSD still isn’t being used to its full potential yet and again I fully agree on this, I will also add to the Xbox being more powerful TF wise and maybe that isn’t being used to its full potential yet.
Both sides have a lot to look forward to still

I'm sure devs will get better on both, but ps5 caches probably aren't fully utilised yet either...

longdi

Banned
We are talking about 12tf rdna2 console, why are u unconcerned that its not hitting a much higher resolution then then the 9tf rdna1.5 console, this is embarrassing for ms, i know ur going say tools bullshit, but lets say its not the tools, and most games going foward run better on the ps5, as a xbox fan where do u go from there, are u gonna sell ur xbox or just suck it up and forgive ms again.

In this case, it is not just the tools but the presets. 🤷‍♀️
Borderlands 3, quick and dirty update, this is clear.

No worries 12tf of rdna2 power will show its strengths, not if but a matter of when. Life will get back to normal'ish in 2021.
Imo your post feels like a bit of aggression and tribalism that Phil have identified. There is no need to 'forgive' or sell anything. Things will work out for Xbox once everyone settles down, as it should. :messenger_clapping:

Last edited:

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
damn man at the last possible moment i decided to cancel my series x preorder because i was not sold on it.
having that 3080 and all and it not really having games i can't play.

seems like my original idea getting the series x for the best multiplat console experience is not really even worth it.
esp after experiencing dual sense

Last edited:
In this case, it is not just the tools but the presets. 🤷‍♀️
Borderlands 3, quick and dirty update, this is clear.

No worries 12tf of rdna2 power will show its strengths, not if but a matter of when. Life will get back to normal'ish in 2021.
Imo your post feels like a bit of aggression and tribalism that Phil have identified. There is no need to 'forgive' or sell anything. Things will work out for Xbox once everyone settles down, as it should. :messenger_clapping:

Ur calling me a fanboy when u fail to answer my question if tools are the not issue, what would u do? .u are in denial mate, wake up the reason why ps3 was behind, it had a hardware bottle necks, ram and gpu, reason why xbox one was behind was because of es ram bottleneck. Xsx is just a unbalanced system, they should have gone a few less cu and a higher clock, and a unified ram setup.

ethomaz

Banned
OK so here is as close to a match in scenes from the vid as that driving section was, yet ps5 is ahead on most or give or take.

Not quite the 'win' for xbox in that mode its made out to be is it.....

3apCslt.jpg

YZFysOF.jpg

1zkhsvz.jpg

J38ylSh.jpg

APV6CHr.jpg

czGVsjP.jpg

gLXE3pt.jpg

99dvobz.jpg

OjagJ5N.jpg
Looking at the line graph you can see PS5 stay consistently more at higher framerate than Xbox.
I don't know how much time the line graph accounts but it is really telling in these scenes.

Of course Tom can be right in the overall picture but his video doesn't support his claim... Xbox has a advantage in one scene in 120fps mode... all the others shows PS5 advantage.

Last edited:

longdi

Banned
Ur calling me a fanboy when u fail to answer my question if tools are the not issue, what would u do? .u are in denial mate, wake up the reason why ps3 was behind, it had a hardware bottle necks, ram and gpu, reason why xbox one was behind was because of es ram bottleneck. Xsx is just a unbalanced system, they should have gone a few less cu and a higher clock, and a unified ram setup.

Huh? I already gave you my thoughts, it is the tools and presets. 🤷‍♀️
You are going see for the next 6 months, at least, of games releases, being a bit less optimal.

There is no critical 'bottleneck' with Series X. Yes there will be inadequacy here and there with the hardware choice, same goes with every cost constrained consoles made.
But no way will 12tf of Series X be 'unbalanced'.

Instead of going tribal and be negative on MS poorer tools situation. We should applaud Sony for their maturer tools, for their choice to make ps5 the fastest, easiest to develop playstation.
PS players gets far more gas outta of ps5 now. :messenger_clapping:

Huh? I already gave you my thoughts, it is the tools and presets. 🤷‍♀️
You are going see for the next 6 months, at least, of games releases, being a bit less optimal.

There is no critical 'bottleneck' with Series X. Yes there will be inadequacy here and there with the hardware choice, same goes with every cost constrained consoles made.
But no way will 12tf of Series X be 'unbalanced'.

Instead of going tribal and be negative on MS poorer tools situation. We should applaud Sony for their maturer tools, for their choice to make ps5 the fastest, easiest to develop playstation.
PS players gets far more gas outta of ps5 now. :messenger_clapping:

U denying its even a possibility is answering the question lol. Whos going tribal again lol. If ps5 was performing like a 8tf console, i would sell it, and never buy it again, ms is a joke, keep waiting for ur tools dude, ill keep playing on the best performing console.

Last edited:

kuncol02

Banned
OK so here is as close to a match in scenes from the vid as that driving section was, yet ps5 is ahead on most or give or take.

3apCslt.jpg

YZFysOF.jpg

1zkhsvz.jpg

J38ylSh.jpg

APV6CHr.jpg

czGVsjP.jpg

gLXE3pt.jpg

99dvobz.jpg

OjagJ5N.jpg
That performance is a lose for both sides. Why even bother with 120fps mode when game way to often don't reach it?

ethomaz

Banned
That performance is a lose for both sides. Why even bother with 120fps mode when game way to often don't reach it?
That is what VRR is for but the dips can't be too high... 80-120 I believe it works fine.
The only sad part is that VRR is something that neither 1% of gamers will have in the next few years... maybe when cheap panels start to get HDMI 2.1.

Last edited:

v_iHuGi

Banned

You won´t need 120fps locked once most panels support hdmi 2.1 or VRR, these dips are eliminated. Problem is that almost nobody uses 120fps yet and i doubt that´ll change in the next 10/15 years.

60fps is here to stay.

This game is just a strange performer. Just ran around Sanctuary on PC and while the frame rate was ahead of either console even at 1440p you can move your view a tiny bit and loose 20fps even without anything happening.

With G-Sync (VRR should be similar) you won't notice 20fps frame drops from 144/120fps though unless you are maybe a fighter pilot or something.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism

Wait ... what?! Why are there so many differences?

And I'm not just talking about console differences. I've never played Borderlands 3 (or BL1 or BL2). Does this game have dynamic lightning etc. that could cause the differences?

Js562

The hitching when opening chests or exploding enemies is very noticable, but most of the game seems to run fine. Haptics feel great, but I don't like the trigger implementation. Way too strong, I'd hurt my finger if I played liked that for an hour. Deactivated immediately.
Hurt your finger? Lol 😂 need to work out more
4oRWlea.gif

kuncol02

Banned
Hurt your finger? Lol 😂 need to work out more
4oRWlea.gif
That's nothing to laugh about. Because of RSI from working hours on computer I had problem with using normal mouse few years ago (That was probably most painful experience of my life and I once had root canal treatment without local anesthesia). I know from personal experience that it can worsen because of vibrations from controller. I had to turn vibrations off when I played games because I wasn't able to hold controller.
There you have device which constantly force you to strain your fingers for hours.

Js562

That's nothing to laugh about. Because of RSI from working hours on computer I had problem with using normal mouse few years ago (That was probably most painful experience of my life and I once had root canal treatment without local anesthesia). I know from personal experience that it can worsen because of vibrations from controller. I had to turn vibrations off when I played games because I wasn't able to hold controller.
There you have device which constantly force you to strain your fingers for hours.
The guy I replied to might not have what you have. He might not type on the computer all day and feel how you feel. His fingers might just hurt from vibration because he can't take it lol

kuncol02

Banned
The guy I replied to might not have what you have. He might not type on the computer all day and feel how you feel. His fingers might just hurt from vibration because he can't take it lol
If your fingers hurt you should stop whatever you are doing. That's first sign of problems with joints or tendons. You really don't want to fuck up your hands. That's not only extremely pain full. It also makes huge problems with normal life. Imagine that everything you try to do even eating something with fork makes you fell like someone just stabbed you into your wrists or whatever joint you fucked.

Js562

If your fingers hurt you should stop whatever you are doing. That's first sign of problems with joints or tendons. You really don't want to fuck up your hands. That's not only extremely pain full. It also makes huge problems with normal life. Imagine that everything you try to do even eating something with fork makes you fell like someone just stabbed you into your wrists or whatever joint you fucked.
I train almost everyday when I'm not working. Boxing and Muay Thai constantly. My whole body hands, wrists, and shoulder feel impact everyday from heavy bags and sparring. Wrist gets sprained fingers jammed and all. I got pain in my joints and tendons but shit I can go on. That shit is not gonna fuck my life up just got to mange. Little vibration from a controller is nothing

Top Bottom