• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DF: Breath of the Wild Patch 1.1.1 Framerate Test

Genio88

Also Digital Foundy said Zelda resolution drop to 600p some times, be honest did you ever notice it to be less detailed in handheld mode? I must have played 40 hours of it in handheld mode, i would have never guessed it was sub hd in some parts if they wouldn't tell me.
It means i'd be fine with them having more games at 600p rather than 720p on that 6.2 inch display if that means better and rock solid frame rate

Also Digital Foundy said Zelda resolution drop to 600p some times, be honest did you ever notice it to be less detailed in handheld mode? I must have played 40 hours of it in handheld mode, i would have never guessed it was sub hd in some parts if they wouldn't tell me.
It means i'd be fine with them having more games at 600p rather than 720p on that 6.2 inch display if that means better and rock solid frame rate

Yes actually! Only once though!

When fighting the Gerudo Beast, you have to stay in the light circle of the chieftan. The lines on the ground indicating that safe space were noticeably jaggy while playing.

Once in 50 hours isnt too bad at all though.

Caelus

The initial patch thread was strong in the nocebo effect.

This is good to know. I'm hoping that since they're still working on DLC, they'll also put out more performance patches, maybe even further improving the IQ of the game. Keeping expectations low, though.

Pretty much confirms my experience regarding the Wii U version. Whatever improvements there are are so slight they're barely noticeable. The sideways run on Kakariko is something I tried out myself and I definitely noticed the lack of change there. Ah well.

Thanks for the video, DF.

I have faith the Moblin thing will be resolved eventually. Hopefully no later than the first DLC update.
I'm sure they'll fix it too. There's at least one other notable glitch as well, the Blood Moon glitch, so I imagine we'll get at least one more noteworthy patch between now and DLC 1. Probably some more performance fixes too. If I had to guess, sometime around early May.

Absolutely no sacrifice in visual quality. They really kept hammering that lmao wonder if they were reading GAF.
Honestly, they probably were.

Vitacat

Those of us who'd been playing the game for many hours already knew what DF would find, but it's good to see it analyzed. The Switch version looks exactly the same, but runs way smoother in general.

A few haters may be sad to see the good news, but for everyone else it's great to see Nintendo doing some well deserved code optimization for this incredible game.

syncyes

But my 1337 programming skills told me that it's impossible to make framerate better without graphical downgrades! D:

LegendX48

Nice, but could still use more improvements. I am still getting freezes during Moblin fights on occasion.

I've had like two or three of these on the Wii U version, but they usually lasted anywhere from 2 - 4 seconds for me. Haven't had any since the patch, yet...

sirap

I noticed it quite a few times running around towns. It's easy to spot once you know what to look for. The effect is similar to Link's model in the inventory screen or the glowing sheikah stone (not sure what it's called) in the opening scene, but not quite as pronounced.

Personally, I'd rather they kept undocked resolutions at 720p. The crispness that comes with native resolution is much better than the compromise you get with 900p upscaling on modern TVs.

Zedark

But my 1337 programming skills told me that it's impossible to make framerate better without graphical downgrades! D:

Your skills were on point, the downgrades were just too small for trained eyes to even discern.
LMAO
I believe they said 648p, which is a 10% drop on both axes. Hardly a large drop imo, but I noticed some extra aliasing in some scenes with many diagonal wooden beams. Not at all bothered by such minor visual imperfections myself, though.

HardRojo

Great to see it getting patched and improved. Keep it up Nintendo! Looking forward to playing this when I get a Switch!

Im wondering if and when they patch the firmware to the console to fix the GPU bug if things will smooth over more (unless the recent system update patched the bug)?

Zedark

Im wondering if and when they patch the firmware to the console to fix the GPU bug if things will smooth over more (unless the recent system update patched the bug)?

I doubt it, otherwise DF would probably have revisited FAST RMX to check what the fixed bug means for the resolution in that title. We don't know much about the bug and how it influences performance in games, so we can't say what it'll do for games' performance when resolved.

Well Shinen said they would have to patch it post fix. I have been checking for an update everyday to see if they have patched it yet.
I see, didn't know that. No patch as far as I am aware for FAST RMX, so we'll have to wait and see.

I doubt it, otherwise DF would probably have revisited FAST RMX to check what the fixed bug means for the resolution in that title.

Well Shinen said they would have to patch it post fix. I have been checking for an update everyday to see if they have patched it yet.

To the 12 people I saw from the original thread who I told to get glasses for thinking visuals got worse.

Get those fucking glasses. Ya'll blind as hell.

Yep, noticeable improvements.
I've been playing for more than 130 hours, and have yet to pump into this ragdoll glitch people are mentioning.
I wonder if the people who are reporting this are Wii u players or both Wii u and switch. Whoever is experiencing this, could you list what version you are playing"

I can see them increasing Switch performance even further. Its very VERY clear the game wasn't optimized enough for Switch. Wasn't it confirmed a late port?

I can imagine a few years down the road the next Zelda running constant 30fps at 1080p.

I can see them increasing Switch performance even further. Its very VERY clear the game wasn't optimized enough for Switch. Wasn't it confirmed a late port?

I can imagine a few years down the road the next Zelda running constant 30fps at 1080p.

Nintendo themselves explicitly said they did very little optimization for the port. There's no doubt in my mind a future Zelda built specifically for the Switch will look and perform much, much better.

Considering Nintendo's console developers have been working with PowerPC architecture for like 15 years, let's give them a bit of time to adapt to the Switch's hardware.

Instro

I thought there might have been a draw distance change, guess I was just looking for issues. Definitely a good patch performance wise. Still some issues there, but a big improvement nonetheless.

I notice it all the time. The game's image quality varies quite a bit in handheld mode.

I wonder if the people who are reporting this are Wii u players or both Wii u and switch. Whoever is experiencing this, could you list what version you are playing"
Most of the reports I've seen were on Switch, and I myself have run into it on Switch as well, though I've seen Wii U players mention as well, and it seems to be equally prominent.

There's still room for improvement (still getting some drops in foliage-heavy areas + freezing due to ragdoll on Switch), but the overall framerate improvement was pretty obvious to me right away.

Towns on the Wii U version are pretty terrible framerate wise and I didn't notice any big improvements here at all. I heard some real bad things about Korok Forest, haven't visited yet. Is that better now? Any improvements at all for Wii U or is this really its limit?

X-Factor

Video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w6NkNgI1ssw

Digital Foundry basically disproves all the claims of other Youtube videos that thought Patch 1.11 improved the Wii U version.

Summary:

Overall, for the Switch version only, it still does not maintain 30 fps but it is a big improvement over the framerate drops of 1.10.
Framerate still dips as low as 20 fps but the game recovers faster than before.

Playing the Switch version in portable mode is the smoothest experience according to their tests and conclusion.
In portable mode, the framerate drops only in a few areas.

Switch version:

Dynamic resolution when docked: 900p drops to 840p when stressed.
Dynamic resolution when in portable mode: 720p drops to 648p when under load.

In patch 1.11 Docked mode: Kakariko village still has framerate drops to 24, 25 fps but recovers faster.
In patch 1.10 Docked mode: Kakariko village dropped to as low as 20 fps for a sustained period of time.

Korok forest still has framerate drops in Korok village but is tangibly improved over the previous version (as much as 10 fps improved over previous tests).

Wii U version (720p native resolution still): Still drops and locks to 20 fps for extended periods of time when stressed.
Patch 1.11 on the Wii U runs almost identically to patch 1.10 but with seemingly some minor improvements once in a while but basically performs
exactly the same within their margin of error.

Salvadora

I hope this is a work in progress and they continue to release performance related patches for Zelda with the year along with their DLC schedule.

Definitely interesting to see in terms of performance gains. Should be further interesting to see how far they can push it, as an indication of the console's potential.

Cuburt

As always, It's much better to get actual tests and analysis than just anecdotal impressions.

People were going nuts with the placebo effect in the last thread.

Now if only were can get some similar tests and analysis for Switch hardware because anecdotal stories and placebo seems to still be king there.

Zedark

Video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w6NkNgI1ssw

Digital Foundry basically disproves all the claims of other Youtube videos that thought Patch 1.11 improved the Wii U version.

Summary:

Overall, for the Switch version only, it still does not maintain 30 fps but it is a big improvement over the framerate drops of 1.10.
Framerate still dips as low as 20 fps but the game recovers faster than before.

Playing the Switch version in portable mode is the smoothest experience according to their tests and conclusion.
In portable mode, the framerate drops only in a few areas.

Switch version:

Dynamic resolution when docked: 900p drops to 840p when stressed.
Dynamic resolution when in portable mode: 720p drops to 648p when under load.

In patch 1.11 Docked mode: Kakariko village still has framerate drops to 24, 25 fps but recovers faster.
In patch 1.10 Docked mode: Kakariko village dropped to as low as 20 fps for a sustained period of time.

Korok forest still has framerate drops in Korok village but is tangibly improved over the previous version (as much as 10 fps improved over previous tests).

Wii U version (720p native resolution still): Still drops and locks to 20 fps for extended periods of time when stressed.
Patch 1.11 on the Wii U runs almost identically to patch 1.10 but with seemingly some minor improvements once in a while but basically performs
exactly the same within their margin of error.

I believe the bolded should be 810p. Otherwise, this is a very good and all-encompassing summary.

Mega

Banned

Switch. The Moblin problem has happened both before and after the patch, lasting anywhere from a slight hitch to several seconds frozen.

Pre-patch the game/system completely locked up once requiring a hard reset by holding down the power button for 10 seconds.

RedFyn

The patch fixed the issues i had when using the magnesis and time power. It used to slow down, stutter, etc and I haven't noticed anything since. That was the only frame rate thing that really bothered me (other than the moblin freeze). I think both the village and the forest are fine.

PtM

Banned
Nintendo themselves explicitly said they did very little optimization for the port.
Not dis shittu again.

Food for thought though: If the ragdoll bug is within Havok, then at most Nintendo could try a circumvention, right? Black-box testing, so to speak.

Not dis shittu again.

Food for thought though: If the ragdoll bug is within Havok, then at most Nintendo could try a circumvention, right? Black-box testing, so to speak.

Doesn't a patch improving performance significantly just a month after launch kinda lend weight to the "very little optimization"? The game was made for a different platform so it seems to make sense they weren't able to optimize the game as much as normal. The Wii U apparently didn't see much improvement and I'm guessing it was because it was already optimized.

PtM

Banned
Doesn't a patch improving performance significantly just a month after launch kinda lend weight to the "very little optimization"? The game was made for a different platform so it seems to make sense they weren't able to optimize the game as much as normal. The Wii U apparently didn't see much improvement and I'm guessing it was because it was already optimized.
If it had very little optimization, it would run in 720p around WiiU levels.
Notwithstanding, Nintendo never made a statement about their efforts.

It's less "very little" and more "needs more optimization".

Dremorak

Banned
The fact that people first tried to deny there was any improvement, and then said there must be some downgrade is super annoying. :\ Anything nintendo related gets shat on even if its a performance improving patch.

Great improvements. I doubt Nintendo is going to further improve performance from here, which is fine. I'd be pleasantly surprised to see another performance patch though.

With two DLC packs coming still until the end of the year, they at least have some real justification to continue working on performance. Granted, we have no idea how much they could realistically accomplish but I'd say there's hope for more minor improvements still thanks to the DLC.

With two DLC packs coming still until the end of the year, they at least have some real justification to continue working on performance. Granted, we have no idea how much they could realistically accomplish but I'd say there's hope for more minor improvements still thanks to the DLC.

Further optimization on the Switch allows the Zelda team to get more in tune with how the Switch can work with BotW. Any experience taken for this to use for the DLC and even the next game is incentive enough to keep going.

Top Bottom