• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[DF] : Call of Duty Vanguard Beta: PS5 vs Xbox Series X/S Multiplayer + 120Hz Modes Tested!

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
The fucking game drops down to 90 fps. VRR won’t fix those type of drops. Yes it does not look stuttery, but you still see 90fps instead of 120.

I could understand VRR hiding some rare 3-5fps drops, but damn it does not change the fact that the game runs at 90fps just because it has VRR. I feel like DF are overhyping this technology.

Even on PC with Gsync, I always lock my framerate at a point where I’m sure my system won’t drop any frames for 99.9 percent of the time.
Nah VRR simply adjusts the refresh rate of your TV to whatever is being displayed. Doesnt matter if its 110 or 100 or 90.

The range on the newer HDMI 2.1 displays like the LG CX is supposedly 40-120 fps.

ethomaz

Banned
Which facts? I'm going by the pic posted previously. Are they wrong? Can you provide others?

Nevermind: pic didn't load. So the comparison above is wrong?
The pic is not wrong and come from VGTech tests.

He made two videos… one for PS and other for Xbox… the pic is a combined result of these two sheets:

Ricky is a parody account imo.

Last edited:

S0ULZB0URNE

I played both versions exclusively at 120hz and I had to stop playing the PS5 version as drops of 40fps with no VRR was a killer in a twitch shooter.
Looking at 60hz you will be fine on all three next gen consoles but 120hz is pointless without VRR.
4p0Jdsa.gif

Zathalus

The pic is not wrong and come from VGTech tests.

He made two videos… one for PS and other for Xbox… the pic is a combined result of these two sheets:

Ricky is a parody account imo.

Well obviously it can drop much lower than 98 FPS, as DF has it hitting the 80s range on both consoles. It is also rather pointless to compare those VGtech stats as the game is multiplayer and wildly dynamic, no two runs are going to be even close to each other.

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Yeez that looks PS3 level...
A couple of weeks ago, I created a thread pointing out DF giving mediocre looking games a pass, but this looks straight up bad. And yet, DF covered this game like any other, did their pixel counts, framerate analysis and some LOD detail comparisons and called it a day.

No, THIS is exactly where we need DF to call out awful looking games. IGN and Gamespot wouldnt do it. They no longer judge games on graphics anymore. DF does. This is when you make comparisons to previous COD games. Or Battlefield games. Or other FPS shooters in the market.

CoD games are the biggest games of the year. They are going to retail for $70 on next gen consoles. There is absolutely no reason they should look like this.

A couple of weeks ago, I created a thread pointing out DF giving mediocre looking games a pass, but this looks straight up bad. And yet, DF covered this game like any other, did their pixel counts, framerate analysis and some LOD detail comparisons and called it a day.

No, THIS is exactly where we need DF to call out awful looking games. IGN and Gamespot wouldnt do it. They no longer judge games on graphics anymore. DF does. This is when you make comparisons to previous COD games. Or Battlefield games. Or other FPS shooters in the market.

CoD games are the biggest games of the year. They are going to retail for $70 on next gen consoles. There is absolutely no reason they should look like this.
DF didn't even really do a pixel count. They just told us the target resolutions. Lazy!

Mr Moose

Took them long enough, we knew about this stuff a week ago from VGTech.
DF actually say that VRR is an advantage in the video, like it or not it's best to accept the facts.
Yup, it clears up that nasty ass screen tearing.
Though not needed in the 60fps mode (on PS5 at least), that mode is pretty solid.

rushgore

Nah VRR simply adjusts the refresh rate of your TV to whatever is being displayed. Doesnt matter if its 110 or 100 or 90.

The range on the newer HDMI 2.1 displays like the LG CX is supposedly 40-120 fps.
i know how it works. it DOES matter since that's exactly what I said. it delivers 90 frames per second. it only hides stuttering caused by the lack of sync but it does not make 90 fps look like 120. it is still 90 frames per second.

btw I am not saying that VRR is useless. I am just pointing out that there are some cases that VRR just can't totally save.

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion

Or run like this, keep it like that but made it 4K or something at least, 1440p-ish resolutions already looks pretty soft on my CX, like if I would be at my PC desk and played without glasses (I use them for TV game sessions), I don't really like that. Well at 60FPS I can tolerate it, but fuck me, the textures looks like shit and if you take into account how the Craig Infinite looks, then there is very little excuse for one of the most high profile games.

I think COLD War looks better honestly. But I am just on Phone screen. Which, makes it look better.

Let's be real DF is scared about enraging the cash cow most likely. I can imagine Acti-Blizz could have quite a long fingers at their disposal.

ethomaz

Banned
Well obviously it can drop much lower than 98 FPS, as DF has it hitting the 80s range on both consoles. It is also rather pointless to compare those VGtech stats as the game is multiplayer and wildly dynamic, no two runs are going to be even close to each other.
I agree but he asked if the pic was wrong.
It was not.
I just provided the source to avoid people trying to spin that in made up pic lol

Last edited:

rushgore

I feel like there are a great number of people who do not really understand how VRR, Gsync or those type of screen based sync solutions work at all.

It does not make 90 fps look like 120 fps. It just eliminates any stutter caused by the desync and keeps the display synchronized to what is displayed on screen.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
I feel like there are a great number of people who do not really understand how VRR, Gsync or those type of screen based sync solutions work at all.

It does not make 90 fps look like 120 fps. It just eliminates any stutter caused by the desync and keeps the display synchronized to what is displayed on screen.
People do not know what they are missing honestly.

Sony needs to get off their backsides and get it in not only the PS5 but the Sony TVs for which it was promised as well.

Sorry but I dont buy the lame excuse they are waiting for final approval or some BS

They could get it out there and tweak it if needed

So PS5 version vs XSX version.
PS5 wins.

With additional help XSX wins.

You mean turn off features that Series X has as in that "additional help"?

Chris Rock Reaction GIF

Last edited:

ethomaz

Banned

That is corrected… adaptive sync doesn’t make the GPU render more frames… it just make what is being rendered to sync with the display and of course some frames needs to be showed twice to that happens.

Last edited:

S0ULZB0URNE

People do not know what they are missing honestly.

Sony needs to get off their backsides and get it in not only the PS5 but the Sony TVs for which it was promised as well.

Sorry but I dont buy the lame excuse they are waiting for final approval or some BS

They could get it out there and tweak it if needed

You mean turn off features that Series X has as in that "additional help"?

Chris Rock Reaction GIF
No I mean what I said.
Version vs version PS5 wins.
With the help of a VRR capable tv... XSX wins.

Evilms

Banned
in terms of raw statistics (resolution + framerate), VG Tech is more accurate than anyone else

Just for information VG Tech is not in the console war and it is the only one that has no bias

Last edited:

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
No I mean what I said.
Yeah I know exactly what you mean its why VRR is so nice and if anyone has the choice of picking a game on either system and has said display to use it then its a no brainer right now.

VRR is not additional help its a feature of the hardware and Sony needs to get it implemented

Markio128

In all seriousness, I’m a bit baffled by this VRR malarkey. I don’t see the attraction in paying top dollar for a posh 4K VRR enabled TV to then play games at 1080P. It doesn’t appeal to me at all.

Zathalus

No I mean what I said.
How exactly does the PS5 version win? It appears to drop FPS to the same range as the XSX version?

Are you using the VG tech stats? You know those are utterly useless as a comparison metric right? As the game is multiplayer and thus extremely dynamic? Each run would not be a 1:1 comparison.

in terms of raw statistics (resolution + framerate), VG Tech is more accurate than anyone else
I'm not doubting the stats VG tech posted, its just useless as a comparison metric in this game, as each run would not be 1:1 and framerate will fluctuate on a huge number of factors. Just taking the VG tech stats as gospel would have you believe the minimum FPS in the PS5 version at 120Hz is 98FPS, while it can actually drop to the 80s. FPS comparisons can be done when the singleplayer is out, as that is actually repeatable testing with far fewer dynamic factors at play.

Last edited:

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
if you are unable to differentiate 165fps from 90fps you probably have wasted money on that monitor

Do you play on a gsync monitor, one with the actual module in the monitor?

I'm not saying I can't perceive the difference between 90 fps and 165 I'm saying that in games where the fluctuations are extreme you can completely still play the game and it doesn't affect the gameplay. The refresh is still a perfect consistency so gameplay is smooth.

Now if it was a none g sync monitor and fluctuating between those framerates it would be horrific.

Yes VRR and g sync, freesync are that important.

It's fun to take the piss but it is as good as anyone makes it out to be.

Last edited:

MarkMe2525

Gold Member
In all seriousness, I’m a bit baffled by this VRR malarkey. I don’t see the attraction in paying top dollar for a posh 4K VRR enabled TV to then play games at 1080P. It doesn’t appeal to me at all.
Why would you play the game at 1080p?

Edit: I think I get what your saying. If a game has 120hz mode it will usually drop resolution. Do know VRR works great in the 40-60hz range.

Last edited:

Neo_game

No I mean what I said.

I am not sure either of them wins. We have to wait for retail version. But I agree with you regarding the performance which should be mainly about the gpu not the display.

Topher

Gold Member
Yeah I know exactly what you mean its why VRR is so nice and if anyone has the choice of picking a game on either system and has said display to use it then its a no brainer right now.

VRR is not additional help its a feature of the hardware and Sony needs to get it implemented

I agree Sony needs to get VRR done. Way past overdue. But......isn't that so the games will not have torn frames and in this instance PS5 has no torn frames?

I have a great 4K TV that doesn’t have VRR, but my point is, I wouldn’t swap it for a VRR enabled TV just to benefit from a negligible smoother 1080P experience at 120FPS. I’m very happy with a smooth 4K 60FPS experience.
I had a small ten year old 32 inch Samsung before that, so yeah I desperately needed an upgrade. In your case I wouldn't upgrade either.

Markio128

what you say makes no sense
Well, VRR owners are lording it because it makes the series versions of the game at 120FPS smoother. It isn’t going to improve the game on PS5 or Series consoles at 4K 60FPS, because that mode is already near flawless. Am I missing something here?

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
I have a great 4K TV that doesn’t have VRR, but my point is, I wouldn’t swap it for a VRR enabled TV just to benefit from a negligible smoother 1080P experience at 120FPS. I’m very happy with a smooth 4K 60FPS experience.
For me personally 120 fps is THE game changer for these new gen consoles as I feel a dramatic difference when playing over 60fps.

In shooters and racers I will pick 1080p 120fps every single time but I do know some gamers that sit down and I show them 120 fps and they say they can't tell the difference between 120 and 60 so it is for each ones personal preference

Banned
Well, VRR owners are lording it because it makes the series versions of the game at 120FPS smoother. It isn’t going to improve the game on PS5 or Series consoles at 4K 60FPS, because that mode is already near flawless. Am I missing something here?

the 120fps mode is not 1080p it's 1512p... that's what you're missing, and 120hz oin a shooter is way better than 60

Top Bottom