• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DF: Chrono Cross Remaster: PS5/Switch Tested - A Classic Returns... With Worse Performance Than PS1

Worse performance than on PS One??
488e42771-mr-bean-too-easy.gif

Last edited:

BbMajor7th

I really don't understand SE on this stuff. They always do these lousy half measures - I remember the remaster for FFVIII a few years back and it was such a god awful mess. Nice that they've finally caught up with the AI upscaling (that can do wonders for these games) but what a lousy implementation ... makes you wonder who the target audience is for this dross.

Square is not even making good games anymore. Let's be honest. I know a lot of people loved FF7 Remake, and there are some things it does well like visuals and how they adapted the combat to real time (though I think the combat system still has its issues) but the rest of their games are poorly written, shallow, and have weak level design.

Their Rpgs are nothing like what they were back in the day.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
This a shame but outside of a few major studios that can hire the best of the best, Japanese development and the tech industry here is heading down the shitter real fast so this not a huge surprise really.

Japan is falling drama aside, this was just a “give the interns a winter project, six cans of beer, and a bottle of sake” rather than a highly funded effort that they just could not staff…

Rykan

So i've noticed something.

This is footage from an emulator using AI enhanced backgrounds made years ago.

What is interesting about it that the backgrounds look exactly the same as the AI upscaled backgrounds that are part of the official remastered version. This means that SE either uses the exact same upscaling technique...or they actually just stole the effort of fans and used their backgrounds in their own official product.

Last edited:

Otre

Banned
Worse than PS1. Holy shit. Its was gonna be my next JRPG to play. Wonder how Duckstation runs it.

Banned
Easy win For Xbox One/One X/Series X/Series S
...and Android, PC, Mac, Linux... anywhere you can easily get a PS1 emulator basically... PSP, almost forgot PSP lol, and of course Vita as it is backwards compatible with all things PSP :)

(not my video, someone luckily actually filmed themselves emulating Chrono Cross on Series S lol)

TL;DR, get an emulator folks, and play it that way... literally any phone gives you a superior experience compared to this "remaster"

Last edited:

KiteGr

Very disappointed.
I abandoned my emulation save in order to "experience it properly" with this release.

It looks like I'll now wait even more until it's eather fixed or heavily discounted.
Perhaps when my Steam Deck arrives in 10 years or so...

Esppiral

The game running on Xbox Series X thorugh Duckstation is a better experience, 60 fps alone make it the best choice on console, forgive the awful artifacts and audio desync, I don't know what happened when recording but you get a taste of how superior it is to the official release.

Elios83

Frame rate is bad, I noticed it as well.
I think it's due to the fact that internally there is some kind of emulator because the drops are erratic, they can happen during a simple animation.
But the rest is pretty good, the backgrounds look much better than what they looked with the blur filter in FF7-8-9, localization is good, there is the Radical Dreamer game.
It's a really slow turn based game so if you're interested in the game I would still 100% get it notwithstanding of the frame rate profile similar to the original game.

Last edited:

Mr Hyde

Looks like I'm better off hooking up my OG PSX and play Cross the old school way. It's sad to see classics being handled this way. Legend of Mana was pretty good though and Live A Live looks awesome, so it's not like Square shits on their legacy everytime. But it's very strange to see them act this way, with so many hits and misses. They better not fuck up the eventual Xenogears remaster.

Last edited:
I tried for once to listen to the DF video. It's impossible, those guys are trolls! I'm not saying they are wrong about the product but the way they say it is problematic.

Esppiral

The problem here is simple.
They are running the original Iso under an Emulator wich in turn is running under a wrapper, on top of that they are injecting higher quality assets to th game.
The problem? They are emulating a virtual PsX with stock clocks so the game runs and performs similar to how it would run on a PSX pushing more complex geometry. They are also performing some sort of polygon and texture warp correction.

The solution? Increase the speed of the emulated PsX CPU and add a virtual caché.

Thank me later Square.

Last edited:

Arthimura

I got the remaster on PS5 just to have access to the full package of Radical Dreamers and Chrono Cross in a legal and practical way, but the low framerate is noteceable right in the beginning.

The trophies and updated art is nice though.

I hope SQX start porting more PS1 gems, and preferable doing a better job at performance.

Last edited:

Rykan

I'm bumping this because this is pretty big:

If you own the steam/PC version of Chrono Cross: This unofficial patch will fix the FPS issue almost entirely. It's not a lock 60 but it runs much, much better. It's super easy to install too, just download the patch and select ChronoCross.exe in your steam library. This will also help a great deal with the input delay. It works in both classic mode and the New remastered mode

Patch is here.

If you haven't purchased the collection yet and you're interested in doing so, definitely buy the PC version and use it with this patch.

This a shame but outside of a few major studios that can hire the best of the best, Japanese development and the tech industry here is heading down the shitter real fast so this not a huge surprise really.
Uhuh, check out the 13 sentinels port on Switch.

It's about actually giving a shit and SE doesn't.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
I'm bumping this because this is pretty big:

If you own the steam/PC version of Chrono Cross: This unofficial patch will fix the FPS issue almost entirely. It's not a lock 60 but it runs much, much better. It's super easy to install too, just download the patch and select ChronoCross.exe in your steam library. This will also help a great deal with the input delay. It works in both classic mode and the New remastered mode

Patch is here.

If you haven't purchased the collection yet and you're interested in doing so, definitely buy the PC version and use it with this patch.

I'd say make a new topic for this, this is pretty relevant.

TheInfamousKira

Reseterror Resettler
Apparently Chrono Cross needs a couple of adjustments before Square can put out a decent remaster.

Namely, replacing "Chrono," with "Final," and "Cross," with "Fantasy,"

You can't even go with "they figured it's a PS1 game and that shit is so old that people don't remember how badly it performed originally," because they did a full fucking no corners cut remaster of FFVIII, which is like the Jan Brady of PS1 FF games.

Weird.

Werewolf Jones

Gold Member
Apparently Chrono Cross needs a couple of adjustments before Square can put out a decent remaster.

Namely, replacing "Chrono," with "Final," and "Cross," with "Fantasy,"

You can't even go with "they figured it's a PS1 game and that shit is so old that people don't remember how badly it performed originally," because they did a full fucking no corners cut remaster of FFVIII, which is like the Jan Brady of PS1 FF games.

Weird.
GcY4KIL.jpg

Okay.

Top Bottom