• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DF: Control PS5 Vs Xbox Series X Raytracing Benchmark

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
It's great that we have a game that is confirmed to be exactly the same settings on xsx & ps5 and there is a way to unlock the fps and both are under 60fps.

It is the best benchmarking tool for consoles that we have available up to now.

Hopefully more games will have the same type of comparison ability.
Even that varies game by game. Remember NBA 2k21 analysis by DF? Same settings, same resolution, same RT, similar frame rates. But XSX was GPU stressed (when PS5 wasn't) as confirmed by John.

Last edited:
Jezus. Series X available for purchase here.

Must. Not. Go. To. The. Dark. Side.

da1faa7dc26a4786c1a299295fa2188e.gif

Do It Try GIF by Star Wars

nah. Control is an extremely poor performer even on PC. It's not a good benchmark for anything. Especially RT. Part of it is the destruction which is unlike anything this gen, but its mostly just an extremely poorly optimized game.

Here is Spiderman running at native 4k 30 fps on a 10 tflops PS5. This is an open world game. Drop the resolution down to 1440p like the UE5 demo and demon souls, and you are going to have games with some amazing RT with photorealistic visuals.

ATnFJUC.jpg
AMaWVh5.jpg
qo4FgcO.jpg
EnBHtjS.jpg

Nice screens, bro.

I was never really a photo mode guy until playing SM:R on PS5. Took like 200 shots, uploaded quite a few of them. Gorgeous game, especially in Fidelity Mode.

longdi

Banned
Is photomode truly the same as actual gameplay? It's why that 16% might not be applicable to all situations since each system has their own strengths and weaknesses.

Also wasn't the actual delta supposed to be 20%-30% between the two?

the delta could be 20-30%, lets just remember this.

ps5 quoted performance is 'up to' with 'continuous variable boosts'
while SX is sustained performance, not just for apu but even its ssd.

now look at the size, noise, cooling and power requirements of rx6800.

in this control benchmark with uncapped fps, the cpu usage is much less, which means more power is channeled to the gpu.
And ps5 still lags 16% behind SX.
in future games which keeps cpu and gpu and ssd always busy, it will be fun to watch the variable vs sustained specs design. :messenger_sunglasses:

Last edited:

Rea

in this control benchmark with uncapped fps, the cpu usage is much less, which means more power is channeled to the gpu.
in future games which keeps cpu and gpu and ssd always busy, it will be fun to watch the variable vs sustained specs design. :messenger_sunglasses:
U clearly don't have any idea of what you're talking about.

eNT1TY

Neat way of isolating the gpu's for a direct comparison, un-intentional benchmark is still a benchmark at least for that particular engine, the stronger gpu will always win. It illustrates well that GPU strength is not the only determinant in a game's performace. When all game logic is being calculated in standard gameplay scenarios performance is similar across the board which curiously implies some efficiency loss somewhere along the pipeline for the series X otherwise it would maintain its 16% lead in photomode across every mode but that is not the case in this game.

Fredrik

It's possible they are having the LOD bug people saw with the game (stand in front of map for literally 1 minute waiting for high detail bitmap to load..) ..can't reflect an image that hasn't loaded..

Pls send Series X and PS5 so I can confirm this, independently.
Seriously, with people being able to play the game this shouldn’t even be a question, can’t believe somebody with the game and Xbox hasn’t thought of simply going there to have a look. Sometimes I wonder if those fighting here are even playing games.

With this you don’t need a fancy analysis tool, you can literally just walk into a hallway 10 seconds away from a fast travel point and use your eyes and take a potato cam pic of your TV and post.

I’m not going to buy a crappy 30fps low RT version to confirm this myself. But I checked on PC, tried all settings, flicking switches here and there, lowest of the low on everything and all RT turned off and I could never get that blurry texture to disappear.

So I would say that it’s a bug. The texture is missing, it’s a frame but no image.

Fast travelling to the hallway and take a pic would be easy but I trust that console warriors have nothing more important to do and will gladly look at all scenes with 10000% zoom to find something off with this video instead. In the end it doesn’t matter since Alex had to search for scenes where XSX didn’t max out at 60fps and only found 21 scenes suitable for this comparison. But sure if it would turn out that in all those scenes using photo mode XSX actually uses lower settings than PS5, without Remedy knowing it or Alex noticing it, then it’s time to start flipping tables and this odd benchmark would be pointless.

Cacadookie

Neo Member
Posted this in the next gen thread but figured id leave this here too. The CPu and GPU usage is virtually identical in photo mode and in game. doesnt matter if you are in combat or standing till or throwing shit about. its pretty much the same in both modes.

took several screenshots but this gif shows it well.

lHhPGbN.gif
Tested this as well with a RTX 3080 and a RYZEN 7 3800X. The FPS didn't change.

skneogaf

Even that varies game by game. Remember NBA 2k21 analysis by DF? Same settings, same resolution, same RT, similar frame rates. But XSX was GPU stressed (when PS5 wasn't) as confirmed by John.

Which shows us the graphics used in that game favoured the ps5 gpu and its choice of features.

The more games we have that allow us proper comparison the better.

sinnergy

Neat way of isolating the gpu's for a direct comparison, un-intentional benchmark is still a benchmark at least for that particular engine, the stronger gpu will always win. It illustrates well that GPU strength is not the only determinant in a game's performace. When all game logic is being calculated in standard gameplay scenarios performance is similar across the board which curiously implies some efficiency loss somewhere along the pipeline for the series X otherwise it would maintain its 16% lead in photomode across every mode but that is not the case in this game.
There are bugs , optimization by different people on different builds for different systems ... who says the code base of the versions are 100% the same .. or even time spend developing versions is evenly spread over versions .. you can hardly say stuff like what you are saying unless you have all the ins and outs ..

asustitan

Banned
It really shouldn't be a surprise what this video is showing. Why the constant defence when this should be expected?

It sure is exhausting, you should all just accept the hardware for what it is. Its fine to argue when there is a case, for example them early multiplatform games, that was worth discussing.

I don't know how you all keep on going with it.

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
This thread has more posts than the original comparison video.

WTF!.
Sony fans really cant take a hit even if they themselves have said in game the performance difference is negligible.
Simple solution dont look at the XSX version if you are gonna be playing the PS5 version.

P.S Im surprised this thread even has this many posts isnt most of this thread full of people who keep telling me Control isnt even a good game?
(my GOTY 2019)
But simply having the XSX perform higher in a pure GPU test has everyone on edge and now they suddenly care about Control and will pixel scrub the whole video to show us where DF made mistakes.
Stay classy.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
Which shows us the graphics used in that game favoured the ps5 gpu and its choice of features.

The more games we have that allow us proper comparison the better.
Yeah, that's why I said that it will vary game by game. This photo-mode analysis doesn't confirm 100% that XSX's always has and will have GPU headroom in every game. Because we already have an example when XSX's GPU was stressed, when PS5's wasn't.

Self

This thread has more posts than the original comparison video.

WTF!.
Sony fans really cant take a hit even if they themselves have said in game the performance difference is negligible.
Simple solution dont look at the XSX version if you are gonna be playing the PS5 version.

P.S Im surprised this thread even has this many posts isnt most of this thread full of people who keep telling me Control isnt even a good game?
(my GOTY 2019)
But simply having the XSX perform higher in a pure GPU test has everyone on edge and now they suddenly care about Control and will pixel scrub the whole video to show us where DF made mistakes.
Stay classy.

That's really silly and nonsensical fanboyism from you.

People can dislike a game and still care for performance or the way performance is measured.

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
That's really silly and nonsensical fanboyism from you.

People can dislike a game and still care for performance or the way performance is measured.

Im a Control fanboy.
I dont deny it and never will.
Im not even ashamed if im called a Fanboy when it comes to Control.

Its odd the original thread had a few posts but this thread has a ton of posts mainly denying or downplaying the results.
If people dont care about the game or its performance(the og thread is evidence of that) why would they be posting to hell and back in this thread.
The only difference is the original thread had little to no substantial differences between platforms and this thread has a near identical to on paper advantage towards the Series X.

Yet im the one spewing nonsensical fanboyisms?

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Best experience ever. Shooting guns feel like pulling the real trigger of the gun. Well done remedy.
IMHO If DualSense support is done well and the rest of the game experience is not markedly worse on PS5 by a non trivial margin, PS5 is (IMHO) the best way to play because haptic feedback in the controller and the dynamic triggers (as you can feel in Astro’s Play Room, together with the motion detection) do really add another welcome layer to the experience IMHO.

Edited: Negotiator101 Negotiator101 it should be clearer it was IMHO now, IMHO

(...and if you do not dislike haptic dynamic triggers and/or haptic feedback it is likely that the statement applies a lot more broadly IMHO, and apparently Negotiatior101 agrees too)

Last edited:
If DualSense support is done well and the rest of the game experience is not markedly worse on PS5 by a non trivial margin, PS5 is the best way to play because haptic feedback in the controller and the dynamic triggers (as you can feel in Astro’s Play Room, together with the motion detection) do really add another welcome layer to the experience.

Pierce has a great response from both the adaptive triggers and haptic feedback. There is nothing like this on other gaming devices.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Pierce has a great response from both the adaptive triggers and haptic feedback. There is nothing like this on other gaming devices.
I did not expect:

1.) Sony to actually change the controller this much (DualSense is massive, almost too big) and yet the haptic effect is strong (compare it to the Switch Pro Controller for a counter example)

2.) For the haptic effects, dynamic triggers, and the motion sensors to work together this well... up until I played with Astro’s Play Room I was not sure what I was expecting really... the concept sounded good, but it also sounded a bit niche with an implementation needing more fixes and improvements down the line (Dual Shock motors improved quite a bit over the years too IIRC).

If DualSense support is done well and the rest of the game experience is not markedly worse on PS5 by a non trivial margin, PS5 is the best way to play because haptic feedback in the controller and the dynamic triggers (as you can feel in Astro’s Play Room, together with the motion detection) do really add another welcome layer to the experience.
Alot of people don't like haptic feedback especially in a shooter. A bit of advice going forward try not to state opinion as fact.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Alot of people don't like haptic feedback especially in a shooter. A bit of advice going forward try not to state opinion as fact.

A bit of advice going forward: try not to put words in people’s mouth. We already talked about it, if I meant to state it for everyone being it that way as a general statement I would have said that, but I will correct it just for you :).

Edit: oh and I was missing this gem Negotiator101 Negotiator101 , considering this post of yours and your advice to me... what is your basis for “a lot of people don’t like haptic feedback (haptic feedback or dynamic triggers or both?) especially in a shooter”? Was that opinion stated as fact :LOL:?

Last edited:

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Jezus. Series X available for purchase here.

Must. Not. Go. To. The. Dark. Side.

da1faa7dc26a4786c1a299295fa2188e.gif
Do go, do go... there is plenty of back catalogue and upcoming work that is worth the trip if you can afford it too. OG Xbox and Xbox 360 (excellent combo between fast CPU and SSD as lots of older games get an impressive boost and some of them like Morrowind, Oblivion, and Deadly Premonition are quite transformed... and that is before the auto HDR post process effect, the improvements in texture filtering, and for some titles increased rendering resolution... and frame rate being a lot smoother for titles with frame rate drops).

While being very very loud, the D-Pad is the best they have ever made too btw... the face buttons need to be pressed with a bit more care than the DS as you may (in some cases) miss a tap if you feather the touch too much.

Last edited:

Self

Its odd the original thread had a few posts but this thread has a ton of posts mainly denying or downplaying the results.

I think we can both agree, that Series X owners would be questioning such a comparison as well, because DF to my knowledge haven't done anything like it before.
You would read the same bullshit if DF would use the photo mode of Dirt5 to prove an advantage over Series X, while the real world comparison speaks another language. It's a interesting comparison by any means, but a very, very weird one.

A bit of advice going forward: try not to put words in people’s mouth. We already talked about it, if I meant to state it for everyone being it that way as a general statement I would have said that, but I will correct it just for you :).

Edit: oh and I was missing this gem Negotiator101 Negotiator101 , considering this post of yours and your advice to me... what is your basis for “a lot of people don’t like haptic feedback (haptic feedback or dynamic triggers or both?) especially in a shooter”? Was that opinion stated as fact :LOL:?
You feeling OK?

martino

IMHO If DualSense support is done well and the rest of the game experience is not markedly worse on PS5 by a non trivial margin, PS5 is (IMHO) the best way to play because haptic feedback in the controller and the dynamic triggers (as you can feel in Astro’s Play Room, together with the motion detection) do really add another welcome layer to the experience IMHO.

(...and if you do not dislike haptic dynamic triggers and/or haptic feedback it is likely that the statement applies a lot more broadly IMHO, and apparently Negotiatior101 agrees too)
Of course you can come in thread talking about performance comparison and move the goalpost on something else to "win".(can be vrr for now or quick resume for example on the other side to quote some of them)
But when you do that it just show how the brand winning matter more for you than any interesting discussion on a specific subject like here performance, even if it's academic....

Last edited:
Very much so, thanks for asking :), how about you?
It was interesting to see someone giving unsolicited advice in such a hypocritical fashion.
I certainly didn't mean to offend you, thing is any sort of vibration can cause issues in a fast paced shooter. Many pro players turn it off this is a fact, like I say just say in my opinion next time, have a nice day.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Of course when can come in thread talking about performance comparison and move the goalpost on something else to "win".(can be vrr for now or quick resume for example on the other side to quote some of them)
But when you do that it just show how the brand winning matter more for you than any interesting discussion on a specific subject like here performance, even if it's academic....

I am not trying to start a sub discussion on it, I was replying to a controller comment which is part of the enhancements they did for this update. This was a side comment to the performance chat, but agreed further discussion on it is out of place. I am interested about performance, not the dick waving back and forth on few cherry picked photo mode scenes trying to score points/wins without more context, but agreed chat on the Dual Sense in this thread from me will stop.

It was not about brand winning, but personal judgement on the overall experience: the comment brought the Dual Sense implementation and instead of just doing a one liner on the controller itself I expanded on it to give a bit more context and qualifications to my statement (not a “no matter what, PS wins because of the DS” as that implies more than I meant).

Last edited:

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
I certainly didn't mean to offend you, thing is any sort of vibration can cause issues in a fast paced shooter. Many pro players turn it off this is a fact, like I say just say in my opinion next time, have a nice day.

No offence taken, just that sometimes you have a pattern of calling people names/being overly aggressive and then coming up with “this is a fact, in my opinion” which you will appreciate is an oxymoron. A lot of pro players is a further subset than a lot of people would be but sure even without proof I can believe pro people care about immediate response and no vibration messing up their aim, it makes sense.

sinnergy

I think we can both agree, that Series X owners would be questioning such a comparison as well, because DF to my knowledge haven't done anything like it before.
You would read the same bullshit if DF would use the photo mode of Dirt5 to prove an advantage over Series X, while the real world comparison speaks another language. It's a interesting comparison by any means, but a very, very weird one.
It’s not, it’s valid . It’s a synthetic bench. Like 3DMark . How devs handle real world performance is another matter.

J_Gamer.exe

Posted this in the next gen thread but figured id leave this here too. The CPu and GPU usage is virtually identical in photo mode and in game. doesnt matter if you are in combat or standing till or throwing shit about. its pretty much the same in both modes.

took several screenshots but this gif shows it well.

lHhPGbN.gif
So does this suggest that sx bottleneck and or ps5 strength is in the retrieval of data, aka the io? Or maybe the efficient harmony in which all components work together. Latency overall on ps5 is just lower all round?

Could also be the sx memory when both gpu and cpu need to use the higher and lower bandwidth amounts.

Imo it's all these marginal gains Sony made whereas as xbox with a more standard approach isn't able to get its parts all firing at the same level, even if some are more powerful.

I reckon its a bit like 2 engines a 2ltr and a 1.8ltr. The 2 litre will show more power in a standing still power test. But on the road in the car the 1.8 can keep up if its being fed fuel more efficiently and faster, has better spark plugs etc.

Reactions: Rea

There it is Full circle - back to 9tf machine .

Looking forward to the check list being regurgitated this year.
12 tf monster
Full rdna2
30% delta
Sustained performance

You know the rest

PC Gamer did benchmark the game last month when the RTX patch arrived and they said..

"In my testing, Control tends stutter occasionally, even on the beefiest of PCs ... except not always. The AMD 3900X, 3700X, and 2600 all had far fewer stutters in my testing. (Remember that each setting is run multiple times, in part to eliminate the "one bad run" problem.) I thought it might be the motherboard or some other factor, but then the Ryzen 5 3600 had the same stuttering problems I'd seen on other CPUs. I'm frankly at a bit of a loss as to the cause. On Intel PCs, everything from the 8100 to the 9900K would occasionally stall out for a frame or two, particularly at the high preset.

Hopefully it's just a bug that gets fixed, as it's annoying to have a PC with an RTX 2080 Ti, Core i9-9900K, fast SSD storage, and plenty of RAM hiccup like that."

So I don't think it was fixed yet.

What does this mean actually about CPU usage?

Kenpachii

PC Gamer did benchmark the game last month when the RTX patch arrived and they said..

"In my testing, Control tends stutter occasionally, even on the beefiest of PCs ... except not always. The AMD 3900X, 3700X, and 2600 all had far fewer stutters in my testing. (Remember that each setting is run multiple times, in part to eliminate the "one bad run" problem.) I thought it might be the motherboard or some other factor, but then the Ryzen 5 3600 had the same stuttering problems I'd seen on other CPUs. I'm frankly at a bit of a loss as to the cause. On Intel PCs, everything from the 8100 to the 9900K would occasionally stall out for a frame or two, particularly at the high preset.

Hopefully it's just a bug that gets fixed, as it's annoying to have a PC with an RTX 2080 Ti, Core i9-9900K, fast SSD storage, and plenty of RAM hiccup like that."

So I don't think it was fixed yet.

There is no stuttering on PC. I played the game for hours a few days ago.

Last edited:

DJ12

So the theoretical advantage in pure Raytracing been born out here, seems Mr triggered is on board with this, but denies the theoretical advantage ps5 holds in triangles and fill rate which probably explains why other games perform worse on series x, heck even this game performs worse when not in photo mode.

For me I would be wondering where this performance goes in game not pointing everyone to look at an obvious issue in my favourite bit of plastic.

But it does prove the tools excuse isn't valid, the gpu is performing as expected. Maybe it's just an incredibly unbalanced system and will never make up the deficit.

Rea

Both haptic feedback and adaptive trigger really change the way you experience gaming, if developers done well, it's really a game changer. Haptic feedback in Demon's Souls was the best experience i ever have from the controller. I smile every time i slash the enemies, every time i roll into the destructible objects.

Kenpachii

While I was on YouTube reading through some comment on another video.
This video to be exact:

I saw this comment and it made me wonder what are the Digital Foundry crew background in terms of Technical Knowledge of Video Game Programming.
h2soxkx.png

To be honest, I only view DF for videos like the God of War Showcase, as they tend to show many things I may miss.
Not for benchmarks, I can find better channel then DF for that.
But DF have to shop being one sided with these analysis and benchmarks.
Why are they promoting this console war nonsense so much.

Dude is full of shit.

What he does with photo mode is benchmark the GPU. Its very much a GPU benchmark. Is it a valid environment of how a game runs no. But that's not the point. They check what the GPU's are running and how they perform and its clear the xbox GPU is faster then what the PS5 has which we all know that it was the case.

What the game runs like in the game itself isn't interesting as both are sitting at the same settings at 30 fps and 60 fps with drops below it and locked in place.

Last edited:
Top Bottom