• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DF Direct: The PS5

sendit

Based on SSD specs of each console. The PS5 is effectively using a SSD faster than the fastest Gen4 NVME on the market. Whereas the Xbox Series X is using something that sits in between a Gen2 and 3. Its going to get really interesting once we start seeing games for each console.

longdi

Banned
I believe Cerny when he says the GPU will be able to run 2.23ghz most of the time. Its just that the GPU has to rest inbetween and we dont know how long it can run at full clock and what kind graphics have to be pushed to demand the full 2.23ghz.

You will be disappointed.

Pc gpu can only sustained boost clocks with water cooling or really loud heavy air-cooling.

Your only hope is Sony somehow managed to build a cheap, safe and effective water cooling system for PS 5.

TheStruggler

Report me for trolling ND/TLoU2 threads
Please explain what you mean that PS5 will have the 'most experimentally different games'. If anything going by the last couple of years, it seems Sony is going in the direction of morose, beautiful walking simulators while XBox 1st party are very diverse and eye-popping with color. F.e., Bleeding Edge, Cuphead, Ori, Sea of Thieves.
You mean games that no one cares about maybe other than Ori because its new and the only thing xbox has to play next considering Halo is months away?
giphy.gif

TLZ

Banned
That's a very good video. I can see right from the start how giddy and excited D dark10x was. I knew it was because of all the custom hardware and not a straightforward, off-the-shelf hardware. This is pretty exciting as you can't wait for what devs would do with that stuff. I'm very interested and intrigued indeed. The only sad part is we'll have to wait 8 months to find out :messenger_weary:

I believe Cerny when he says the GPU will be able to run 2.23ghz most of the time.
That's what Cerny confirmed to Richard. So good news.

LordKasual

Banned
....Maybe the DF video linked in the OP may provide more clarification. The SSD discussion was more so regarding how games are designed fundamentally.

For example, instead of designing a level based on what the player can or can't see. The speed at which the SSD operates allows developers to extend past this limitation. Worlds will be seamless. Instant loading times is just an added feature.

I can understand why they decided to focus on this for this console generation, honestly. It's just the direction games are going. We're at 4K, we're going even higher, the amount of data being pushed through is getting extremely large. This generation has done an exceedingly good job at squeezing fidelity out of old ass hardware but no amount of extra horsepower is going to make that bottleneck go away.

Whether or not it was wise to throw their trump card into the basket of the SSD, that's yet to be seen, because XSX also has an insanely fast SSD drive that could honestly be marketed the exact same way, if only PS5's wasn't literally double the speed. Sony obviously was going to struggle on paper, and they knew that, because every weaker console does. Which is probably why this reveal took so long.

But yes, an SSD that is 100% faster than the already speedy SSD speeds is certainly a good spec, Xbox doesn't have anything that's literally "twice as fast" as anything on PS5. But then again, their console is the more practical choice when it comes to performance.

Honestly, i'm really bummed out that PS5 isn't going to lead the raytracing charge this gen....but i'm on board.

I'm overall really happy. I was expecting these 2 machines to essentially be the same with a different coat of paint. I got that, except with a few key differences, and that's cool.

One is stronger. The other is faster on load (possibly much faster), and with much better audio capabilities, even though i don't really give a fuck about that.....regardless they are both EXTREMELY close to one another so i don't get what the crazy talk is about.

Last edited:
Until DF start doing next gen faceoff...
Unless Sony does $399, things look ugly

This is a joke right? I think you all are really overestimating the impact this deep dive had on the mainstream consumer. Even if the PS5 was the same price as the XSX, it would sell out. Fortunately, Cerny spoke several times and stated that Sony is being price conscious about the PS5. It wouldn’t surprise me if Sony does go $399-449 for the system.

LordKasual

Banned
This is a joke right? I think you all are really overestimating the impact this deep dive had on the mainstream consumer. Even if the PS5 was the same price as the XSX, it would sell out. Fortunately, Cerny spoke several times and stated that Sony is being price conscious about the PS5. It wouldn’t surprise me if Sony does go $399-449 for the system.

$399 would be a fucking home-run. If they actually do this i'd be so surprised.

That would put it in "Switch" territory as far as affordability goes, with the horsepower of an actually good console.

Last edited:

longdi

Banned

And the whole 'will sell out mentality' is why the state of ps5 is so ugly...

$399 is a must hit price for Sony.
We are almost certain series 1 will go at $499

And the whole 'will sell out mentality' is why the state of ps5 is so ugly...

$399 is a must hit price for Sony.
We are almost certain series 1 will go at $499

? This makes no sense at all. If they truly were being “Arrogant Sony”, why would all of their design choices reflect that of a company doing something never done before in a console at an affordable price? This isn’t Kutaragi Era Sony anymore. They know the stakes.

longdi

Banned
? This makes no sense at all. If they truly were being “Arrogant Sony”, why would all of their design choices reflect that of a company doing something never done before in a console at an affordable price? This isn’t Kutaragi Era Sony anymore. They know the stakes.
What's haven't 'done before'?

Both Sony Ms bought parts that can be available Q42020. Sony chose the cheaper route and got to use words to hide that.

Sure their ssd is faster, but look up nvme1.3 and 1.4 standards. By q4, you can buy pc ssd faster than the one in ps4. Sony only quote sequential writes, there are more to ssd specs they never disclose.

Besides going from hdd to ssd is already a great leap.

Sosokrates

Report me if I continue to console war

The best evidence we have that show higher clockspeeds is not some additional performance enhancer is comparing the rx5700 and rx5600xt, both these cards have similar tflops but the 5700 has about 25% higher clocks yet its performance is not hugely better then the 5600xt.

Just makes it hard to believe that higher clocks in isolation will provide anything more then a few % performance increase.

I fully expect the xsx to offer about 30% greater resolution, or about 20% greater framerate.

Piku_Ringo

Banned
I don't know how much you know about Japanese culture (@MidgarBlowedUp is an expert), but honor and shame are huge parts of it. It's not like it is in America where you can become successful by being an asshole. If you screw someone over in Japan, you bring shame to yourself, and the only way to get rid of that shame is repentance.

Didn't they move to California already?

Then again, there is your problem.

AGRacing

Gold Member
Well I didn’t have a great feeling when this ended but I’ve started to feel better....

After this video with Richard here I’m a little more confident it will stay above 10TF. Cerny seems confident it will be a quiet machine ( which is important especially if you’re going to talk about how amazing your audio game is). My 5700 XT (powercolor) is damn quiet and runs at 2ghz. Considering console this is a refinement of even that architecture I believe they can hit their target.

I’m worried 3rd party titles won’t really take advantage of the SSD speed advantage over the Series X. If we’re talking about seeing a “level” load in 1 second vs 4 seconds I can’t imagine I’d care.... the type of innovation Sony is shooting for with that SSD is only going to come from 1st party.

I also am pretty confident we won’t be seeing Xbox One /PS4 launch window style resolution battles quite as damning as the early days of last gen. As much as dynamic resolution is used today to keep frame rates constant I believe this method will be the standard tomorrow. Especially when a system isn’t using 100% locked clocks. There won’t be a title that is the “720p” shame if the PS5 library. I just don’t see it happening.

I think the most “obvious” differences visually may come down to how ray tracing is done.... perhaps a sharper reflection with Xbox on a path traced game... or a sharper or more defined global illumination look.... but we still don’t know what is really even possible on either when it comes to this. If Xbox can’t blow anybody away in a AAA title with how they implement it than it won’t matter if Sony can’t make 70% of whatever that looks like. If Microsoft can make a beautiful showing with it than it will matter if Sony can’t match it.

The other thing I can’t help be disappointed with Sony over is the lack of backward compatibility. I really bought that Sony would answer this effort. Microsoft just seems to value the money I’ve put into the platform in the past much better than Sony does. I go back to the original consoles of each brand. 1995 for Sony. I have a young son now. Even though I’ve been partial to Sony over the years... I have owned and invested in every Xbox generation as well and they seem to recognize and appreciate that investment over at Microsoft better than Sony cares to. I have many PlayStation games in my basement that I was really looking forward to hauling into my living room. They’ve had years to respond competitively to this.

I will own both of these at some point... but I admire the effort at Microsoft so much I might just throw 25 years of tradition out the window and give them my money first (and that will mean my 3rd party games money too).

What's haven't 'done before'?

Both Sony Ms bought parts that can be available Q42020. Sony chose the cheaper route and got to use words to hide that.

Sure their ssd is faster, but look up nvme1.3 and 1.4 standards. By q4, you can buy pc ssd faster than the one in ps4. Sony only quote sequential writes, there are more to ssd specs they never disclose.

Besides going from hdd to ssd is already a great leap.

Please show me any console in history that is built around a SSD that runs at speeds that aren’t even in consumer products on the market.

Psykodad

Banned
I can agree with that.

Excuses that it currently stands, that the Xbox is more power than the PS5. Regardless if Sony can finesse the specs and they run at similar performance. From the raw specs, it appears the Xbox is more powerful. But I personally don't care who is more powerful, I was just pointing out the fact that this board would be jumping for joy if the shoe was on the other foot. And since at the moment it is not, people are bringing up stuff like what you're saying. "Oh well, they probably will be similar in performance after X, Y, Z". That was my point. But again, like I said, I personally don't care. I hope both consoles do well for us the consumers to get a great product.
Honestly though, what excuses are being made exactly?
People keep saying that, but I see no excuses whatsoever, because the specs are what they are.
XSX is more powerful.

And a bit weird to claim that "if PS5 would be more powerful, we would hear this board cheer", when the cheering is happening all the same, only about PS5 being weaker.

I think Sony knows exactly what they're doing, right now it just feels underwhelming.
They need to show games.

But at least this gen is going to be a lot more interesting than current-gen.

Last edited:

longdi

Banned
Please show me any console in history that is built around a SSD that runs at speeds that aren’t even in consumer products on the market.
Ok let requote as sony make new things with ps5 but ms does it better, in the same release time frame for the same msrp.

The last part about msrp is my prediction. I have been quite spot on about the state of sce of late.

That's what Cerny told them, it's complete nonsense.
What cerny said is that same architecture with same teraflops but lower clock would be slower in other areas such as rasterization.

Conversely the ps5 at 2.2ghz is likely 22% faster at some features than an alternate ps5 with 10Tflop but 1.8ghz
When you pay attention to the explanation for the variable this machine will not stay locked like the XboxSX. Not because it doesn’t need the boost as you say, because it can’t maintain it at that level at all times. It will be based on a game to game bases

From what i gather the ps5 boost can be maintained indefinitely. It is just that heavy use of certain features that are power hungry may need slightly lower clock.
, my gut tells me that xsx GPU will still be about 20% more powerful when you factor in the 25% extra ram bandwidth it has.
I guess it also depends on if the compression of xbox and ps5 only run on ssd or if ram also benefits from compression and who has the better compression if so. If sony had better compression in ram that would boosf its effective bandwidth compared to xbox.
It was specifically stated that it could drop 10% (1TF) in demanding scenes by Cerny
It was said could drop a few percent to drop power by 10%. Big difference.
So basically the SSD being 2x faster trumps everything.
The ssd is not only 2x faster, but the custom i/o has tbe equivalent of around 11 ryzen cores to remove all bottlenecks and make it 100x faster than ps4 in practice.
You will be disappointed.

Pc gpu can only sustained boost clocks with water cooling or really loud heavy air-cooling.

Your only hope is Sony somehow managed to build a cheap, safe and effective water cooling system for PS 5.
Depends on gpu architecture. Already word is rdna2 will be multighz on pc.

Filippos

Banned
Ive read multiple times on here today that exclusives don’t matter and 95% of games are multiplatform so who cares. Of course if Xbox had them...

What I’ve learned today is we have far less enthusiasts and far more fanboys than I thought

what Games have been announced for PS5? Godfall anything else?

MS has 16 studios. The games will come. Don’t worry.
I mean we don’t even know if the last of us part 2 is gonna to be supported. According to Sony it’s NOT going to be supported at launch.

they Said that they looks at the top100 played games will work. almost All of them will work. all the other games - including upcoming games - will be tested on a case by case basis and then added over time.

Ok let requote as sony make new things with ps5 but ms does it better, in the same release time frame for the same msrp.

The last part about msrp is my prediction. I have been quite spot on about the state of sce of late.

Well how is MS going to do it better than Sony when they are already behind Sony in that regard? We are talking about a 2X increase of SSD speed and I/O throughput. That is quite significant.

bender

What time is it?
I like and respect John a lot, but I thought his comment about being worried that Sony and Microsoft's solution were going to end up being the same was on the silly side. Maybe I should just take it as him being a techie and wanting to see what fruit is bared by Sony's custom storage solution, but as most games are intended for multiple platforms, I don't think we'll see much but improved load times. All of Mark's presentation about developers designing levels around IO limitations doesn't really seem applicable when you aren't just targeting the PS5. Then again, maybe Series X storage solution is fast enough to accomplish this as well.

sinnergy

So many co processors, sounds like. Saturn in the making. Nothing elegant about this.

I like less is better, seems MS got this.

sinnergy

All that emphasis on audio, where is the ray tracing , that’s what’s making the difference. It all sounded very complicated and confusing, and I am technical. It sure looks like Sony dropped the ball.

vpance

So many co processors, sounds like. Saturn in the making. Nothing elegant about this.

I like less is better, seems MS got this.

I wonder if the Tempest audio chip will mostly go under utilized. Sound design in games usually goes unappreciated so most devs don't bother putting an extensive amount of effort there. I bet 95% of multiplat games are going to continue to do the same shit they've done since PS360 days.

Last edited:

McRazzle

Microsoft has definitely won this generation.

-Microsoft has the Velocity Engine that decompresses data at 6GB/s and with the new Direct Storage feature which allows the SOC to almost treat the SSD as additional system memory, I think this largely negates the advantage of PS5's SSD.

XBOX SX has it's own custom sound processor so I don't see that the PS5 has any real advantage there.

-There was no talk from Sony about Variable Rate Shading or Machine Learning AI.

-Sony said nothing about targeting latency of controller inputs or of the image display that Microsoft spent a large time discussing.
Also, nothing from Sony about improving the latency or streaming of it's online service.

And I cant believe no one is talking about the difference in bandwidth.

-Xbox SX has a larger bus and TWICE the bandwidth!
PS5's bandwidth is 448 GB/s on a 256 bit bus and XBOX SX has 896 GB/s of bandwidth on a 320 bit bus.
They both have the same amount of ram but the much higher bandwidth along with the larger bus, indicates the GDDR6 in the XBOX SX is probably running at 16 Gbps while the PS5 is running at 12 Gbps.
Xbox SX will destroy the PS5 in ray tracing.

bender

What time is it?
I wonder if the Tempest audio chip will mostly go under utilized. Sound design in games usually goes unappreciated so most devs don't bother putting an extensive amount of effort there. I bet 95% of multiplat games are going to continue to do the same shit they've done since PS360 days.

I think the feature will bare fruit with PSVR2, but I mostly agree with your sentiment. I think the same is true of the fast storage PS5 is offering from the standpoint of level design but at least you have the knock on effect of faster load times overall.

LMJ

Jesus longdi longdi we get it MS have the stronger spec console, what say you stop jerking off for three seconds and let us discuss the PS5 and what its bringing to next gen and the DF breakdown...

If you wanna go celebrate Microsofts spec victory head on over to one of many series X threads, surprise surprise many of us have already applauded it in said threads (as many of us here on Gaf aren't simpering fanboys)...

Now kindly contribute or take your console war crap elsewhere please :)

XSX's SSD will not be "Slow" by any stretch of the word. But the numbers that Sony's custom SSD is putting out absolutely makes it look slow, it makes EVERYTHING look slow. I'm almost having trouble believing it's accurate.

Thats why i said this generation is going to be interesting.

Sony's console absolutely is losing in the horsepower department, but this is a rare case where their secondary innovations are absolutely an edge worth factoring into the big picture.

I've always been one to roll my eyes at gimmicks that get thrown around to try and soften the impact of lower horsepower...but this is a rare case where i'd say it's possibly very much worth the effort they've put into it.

Actually, I don't think Sony's SSD will have much of an advantage over the XBox's SSD. I really don't care if a scene takes two seconds to load instead of one. I think that the SSD of the XBox is more than enough to keep the RAM fed with data and the PS5's SSD won't be able to make a difference. What matters here is the GPU and the RAM. Both of these systems have a relatively low amount of RAM but the PS5 has a weak GPU. I'm literally stunned that they would go the ridiculous route of overclocking a smaller GPU so that it runs fast and hot rather than choosing a larger GPU. It's absolutely ridiculous.

Which is why I believe this is more towards exclusives that tax the system as they should. This doesn't mean the games are going to be shit. I am just pointing out what I am hearing him say with spinning the system as a standard 10.28 when it isn't.

It does mean the games will be sh*t.

The PS4 and old XBox are great for any kind of game that isn't focused on graphics. If you want a console that will produce photorealistic graphics, the new XBox is decent but the new PS5 will be weak. You will not be able to produce a game that will have the same graphics as if the PS5 had been a true generational leap with seven times the TF of the PS4.

Can we wait with the fanboy/console war crap until we actually have something?

I have a feeling we won't ever get a proper opportunity for comparisons like that (1st party vs. 1st party, that is). Why? Because Microsoft seems to stress performance over image quality, whereas Sony will probably continue pushing their hardware for the highest possible image quality while maintaining relatively stable 30fps. If MS walks the walk, we'll see only 60fps and maybe sometimes even 120fps titles from them. Personally, I'd be very happy with that. However, Sony prioritizes image quality. So my prediction is: Sonys 1st party titles will look better despite weaker hardware, because MS doubles down on high framerates, eSports, variable refresh rates and so on. We already got a hint with the footage from announced games like Rares new title. Even Halo Infinite doesn't strike me as going for a particularly realistic look. What do you think?

Reactions: LMJ

Filippos

Banned

-Microsoft has the Velocity Engine that decompresses data at 6GB/s and with the new Direct Storage feature which allows the SOC to almost treat the SSD as additional system memory, I think this largely negates the advantage of PS5's SSD.

XBOX SX has it's own custom sound processor so I don't see that the PS5 has any real advantage there.

-There was no talk from Sony about Variable Rate Shading or Machine Learning AI.

-Sony said nothing about targeting latency of controller inputs or of the image display that Microsoft spent a large time discussing.
Also, nothing from Sony about improving the latency or streaming of it's online service.

PS5's bandwidth is 448 GB/s on a 256 bit bus and XBOX SX has 896 GB/s of bandwidth on a 320 bit bus.
They both have the same amount of ram but the much higher bandwidth along with the larger bus, indicates the GDDR6 in the XBOX SX is probably running at 16 Gbps while the PS5 is running at 12 Gbps.

oh boy. DF threads will be amazing.

Holy shit. I’ve seen some delusional posts, but this one takes the cake. Entirely too much misinformation is being spread around right now.

Interesting conclusion...

"

They go into depth in the DF about why this is. Basically the GPU has the equivalent of 1-2 more Ryzen cores inside of it that helps eliminate the bottleneck that would occur having 5.5Gb/s of data run through it and that’s just raw data. Compressed pushes that to 8-9Gb/s. We are taking about a level of speed that XSX doesn’t even get close to which was John’s point.

Shmunter

He is not grasping the velocity engine and the additional 100 gig instantly accessible storage like a cartridge of old ... this will be the game changer..

Speeds aside, those look great on paper, I do agree there , but it will stay on paper.
Did you not see the specs off the PS5 ssd solution?? That part at least, is a gen ahead of the Xbox. Or were you being sarcastic?

JTCx

cool science fiction talk and stuff homie, but where the games at?

Filippos

Banned
cool science fiction talk and stuff homie, but where the games at?

well, Microsoft showed more Xbox series X games than Sony did show PS5 games, and tech demos. They are also launching with halo infinite in development since 2015. how many PS5 games did you actually see?

And we know that we can play ALL Xbox one games and a lot of 360/OG Xbox games.
We know that we can only play a few PS4 games. Lol

also, MS now has 16 Studios. What do you think they are doing? There will be TONS of games nextgen

Last edited:

JTCx

well, Microsoft showed more Xbox series X games than Sony did show PS5 games, and tech demos. They are also launching with halo infinite in development since 2015. how many PS5 games did you actually see?

And we know that we can play ALL Xbox one games and a lot of 360/OG Xbox games.
We know that we can only play a few PS4 games. Lol

also, MS now has 16 Studios. What do you think they are doing? There will be TONS of games nextgen
ok so neither party barely anything or nothing to show, but this gen is already decided because Halo.

Lmfao ok bruvs.

Top Bottom