• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DF Direct - XsX Gameplay Reveal Reaction - Is This Next Gen?

I actually think it wasn’t a bad show to be honest....ubi/ea and the other big name 3rd party publisher’s have their own outlets for announcing other stuff so what we saw was a show that had minimal sequels and more new ip from smaller studios

Andodalf

Banned
I actually think it wasn’t a bad show to be honest....ubi/ea and the other big name 3rd party publisher’s have their own outlets for announcing other stuff so what we saw was a show that had minimal sequels and more new ip from smaller studios
It was an okay show if framed correctly, but really shouldn't have been first up for XSX. having even a very small event with some tech talk and a bit of one game would have made a big difference.

MacReady13

Just on a side note- do ANY of the Digital Foundry guys post here anymore? I have heard they still post on RE but haven't seen them here for a while. We do something to offend them?

Just on a side note- do ANY of the Digital Foundry guys post here anymore? I have heard they still post on RE but haven't seen them here for a while. We do something to offend them?

Something happened with D dark10x recently. I don’t remember the details of the thread. I think he got a lot of shit from a group of posters and kinda peaced out. CatLady CatLady I think you mentioned the incident before, is this what happened?

I think Alex said something about PC gaming or the PS5 and pissed people off for some other reason. I don’t remember exactly what happened

Vawn

Banned
Listen guys. They did this to themselves. You mean to tell me they could not even show one exclusive title? That they have no footage at all of anything? They could and SHOULD have. I don't know how in the hell they thought this was a good idea. But then again they have been making bonehead decisions for the past 20 years of xbox

That wasn't the problem. They said upfront it was only third-party games.

The issue is they also continuously said it was going to focus on gameplay and show off the power of next-gen games - neither of which was really done.

he's right the fact than nothing is running on xsx is not disappointing it's near worrying at this point.

It is a bit weird you wouldn't get anything native at this point if we are having an Xmas release. It's almost like MS is waiting to see what Sony has before manufacturing.

Fake

John only. On the other side Alex. I guess none of them post on forums anymore. Sometimes they don't take feedback quite well. I remember John on resetera calling himself a trash and saying will leave his job after Far Cry 5 not being a native 4k on Xbox One X.

Last edited:
It's almost like MS is waiting to see what Sony has before manufacturing.

How does that work?

Example

Sony: Releases gameplay of HZD2 and blows everyone away with it.

Microsoft: Oh no our games look like trash in comparison. Stop making the console we need to delay it to make the games/hardware better.

That really doesn't make any sense to me.

It was an okay show if framed correctly, but really shouldn't have been first up for XSX. having even a very small event with some tech talk and a bit of one game would have made a big difference.
I would of personally gone out with the first party stuff first and left July for the third party stuff and gameplay runthroughs of the first party stuff

still...they have shown actual next gen stuff so you can’t really complain

CobraXT

Banned
I don't think any of them used RT intensively enough to make a difference

i doubt next gen consoles is powerful enough to to use RT intensively to the point that makes it drastically better than
baked lighting .. especially if they target 4k-60 fps .. if i remember correctly full RT require at least 40 teraflops and of
course huge amount of memory bandwidth

Last edited:

Hobbygaming

has been asked to post in 'Grounded' mode.
i doubt next gen consoles is powerful enough to to use RT intensively to the point that makes it drastically better than
baked lighting .. especially if they target 4k-60 fps .. if i remember correctly full RT require at least 40 teraflops and of
course huge amount of memory bandwidth
Yeah I only see limited RT like some reflections, shadows, etc. RT mixed with baked lighting will be where it's at

Mister Wolf

If Scorn runs at 4K 60 and looks like that then I will be very impressed. When judging visuals I always separate games that target 30fps vs games that target 60fps. Scorn will be the best looking 60fps console game for a while.

Last edited:
The criticism is because these are the (3rd party) games MS chose for their “first gameplay reveal” of their next gen hardware.

If this is the best stuff MS could find amongst 3rd parties, MS made a mistake showing it and that’s the criticism aimed at them. If this is genuinely indicative of what next gen will be like for MS, they made a mistake developing Xsex.

Well there’s also the fact that most big third parties have their own “conferences/reveals” this year so they don’t necessarily want to show everything on the Inside Xbox show. So Microsoft “chose” what they could from what was available.

That being said, after seeing these games and the trailers they should just not have had this event because it did more harm than good.

But this is no way indicative of all the console is capable of.

Last edited:
This event could have waited for after MS 1st party reveal.

As a next gen showcase, this was rather underwhelming. Not bad mouthing MS because I know nothing shown was representative of true next gen games.

Either way this will all be forgotten when both MS and Sony show up with their 1st party titles.

Polygonal_Sprite

Gold Member
Can somebody summarise? I can't stand to watch a video with Alex.

I can't imagine there is much to analyse really as there wasn't any gameplay.

I can’t stand Alex either. He’s a smarmy little cunt. Why they ever employed one of the biggest PC fanboys on Internet forums is beyond me. Every single one of the videos he’s in outside of his PC tech focused ones (which are admittedly very good if you’re interested in that sort of thing) he sneers and giggles about how consoles can’t possibly handle this or that. He really struggles to contain his snide and unfunny platform wars.

This video is especially awful as he seems to have gotten John in on the act with the whole “lol console” attitude. They don’t mention once that most of these games are either cross gen or made by teams ranging from 1-10 people... Of course it’s not “what next gen is” or impressive.

Between Directs, Let’s Plays, Retros about games very few people have heard of and a combination of Alex’s console trolling and his constant Crysis / Star Citizen worshipping it’s turned into just another shitty YouTube gaming channel. A real shame as it was one of the best technical channels on the platform a few years ago before they just copied everyone else and began to really fuel platform wars.

vkbest

People want 4k/60fps/raytracing and next gen graphics? Probably next gen will be nice for people like me who has a 1080p tv yet. Probably we will be able to play 1080p/60fps even on next gen games, but don't think after of cross gen games, people will play to 4k/60fps

Even I would bet to Assassins Creed to be 30fps on next gen consoles.

Last edited:
Top Bottom