• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DF: EA Sports UFC demo performance analysis (PS4 900p w/ 4xMSAA, XB1 900p w/ 2xMSAA)

Putty

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/d...er&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=socialoomph

"This limited demo includes just two fighters, Alexander Gustafsson and Jon Jones, throwing down in a single match, but it paints a fairly positive picture. Despite EA Sports focusing on 1080p60 with its suite of launch games, UFC appears instead to operate at 1600x900 on both consoles, making this the third PS4 title to forego a full 1080p presentation, but thankfully the darkened arenas, generous post-processing, and lack of finer distant detail prevent this from ruining the experience and we're still left with a clean presentation. It's only when examining selected anti-aliasing techniques that we see any real differences between the two."

BeforeU

Oft hope is born when all is forlorn.
"This limited demo includes just two fighters, Alexander Gustafsson and Jon Jones, throwing down in a single match, but it paints a fairly positive picture. Despite EA Sports focusing on 1080p60 with its suite of launch games, UFC appears instead to operate at 1600x900 on both consoles, making this the third PS4 title to forego a full 1080p presentation, but thankfully the darkened arenas, generous post-processing, and lack of finer distant detail prevent this from ruining the experience and we're still left with a clean presentation. It's only when examining selected anti-aliasing techniques that we see any real differences between the two."

edit

nvm now it makes sense.

JB1981

Sub 1080p going to be the norm from here on out? I will be very disappointed if that's the case. Ughhhhhhh

Derp1na

Banned
It's a game set in a cage and it's 900p/"30fps" (noticed loads of drops)? It looks good, but it doesn't look that good.

Am I allowed to say lazy devs?

Sub 1080p going to be the norm from here on out? I will be very disappointed if that's the case. Ughhhhhhh

If it follows the same trajectory as last gen, we'll see a couple years or so of sub 1080p before we see most/all PS4 games and some X1 games hitting 1080p native regularly.

lefantome

this is why when the camera was distant I couldn't see the details as expected. With a simple scene and all that post processing it was hard to spot the resolution difference, especially during close ups.

I wonder how could they miss the 1080p on ps4.

Rocketz

I only played it once. Wasn't a fan but really surprised both are not 1080p after hearing they both were going to be.

TheCloser

Banned
So EA lied, why am I not surprised. Sub 1080p in a fighting game that was supposed to be 1080p30fps on both consoles? Embarrassing. It wouldn't be an issue if it was a good demo but it's not. Bad animation, button lag and erratic gameplay spoil any fun that could be had.

thuway

Poor utilization of hardware. We have Battlefield 4 on PS4 and Ryse on Xbox One that murder this in terms of visuals. I really hope this isn't a trend.

I think they made some poor choices, but whatever. 4XMSAA plus FXAA on PS4 sounds overkill. Should have stuck with SMAA.

Guymelef

No, it doesn't. People talked about the game looking blurry in the demo thread but it was attributed to the motion blur they used. The fighters barely move and they blur.

That motion blur.
PS4 screen with capture card.
20140603140818bge5i.png

Gurish

Wow that's a big failure, the game looks nice but really far from being that impressive and taxing, i would argue that NBA2K14 is much more impressive considering all.

This is really a joke and a big technical failure by EA, sorry.

Isn't this the game with the best looking character models ever? We're just left the launch window guys, take a chill pill.

Majanew

Banned
Poor utilization of hardware. We have Battlefield 4 on PS4 and Ryse on Xbox One that murder this in terms of visuals. I really hope this isn't a trend.

What's strange is that both version are 900p/30. What the fuck happened to the PS4 version? Held back on purpose for parity?

MMaRsu

Banned
.....and here come the whiners.

The whiners? I'm sorry this is a fighting game with two guys in a cage with some crowds. How did they not get the ps4 version to 1080p?

There is no whining in expecting a certain standard from your 400/500 euro gameconsole. Itseems you are the one whining about technical discussion in a thread that's about the technical aspect of the game.

ElNino

Some people said it looked blurry, others said "that's jut the motion blur" I think.
This. It's hard to notice how sharp (or not) it is with how much motion blur they are using. It works well in some games, but I wish they didn't use it as much as they do in this one.

That being said, it does look very nice. My wife walked by when I was playing and said she thought it was a real fight for a minute.

Bundy

Banned
I'm surprised the Xbox One and PS4 versions are both 900p.

Edit: The Xbox version runs better too? WTF...
Uhm, well....

The PS4 version utilises a much more comprehensive 4x MSAA solution (perhaps with a post-process anti-aliasing technique on top) that manages to nearly eliminate aliasing in most situations despite the lower resolution. Xbox One doesn't fare quite so well, with image quality falling short of the PS4 version - 2x MSAA appears to be present
Models also receive a very realistic skin shader, reacting naturally to the surrounding lighting. We also see clean, artefact-free soft-shadows cascading over everything, appearing just a tad sharper on PS4. There's also a nice collection of camera focus effects used to create an attractive depth-of-field effect, helping to highlight the two fighters. It all feels cohesive and refined.
Motion blur on Xbox One operates at a lower precision, utilising half the samples of the PS4 game
Comparatively, the effect is remarkably clean and mostly artefact-free on PS4. The potent mix of high-quality anti-aliasing and high-precision motion blur allows the PS4 version to shine in ways where Xbox One feels a tad lacking.
So, while PS4 has a distinct advantage in terms of image quality, it is the Xbox One version of the game that has the slightest of performance advantages. Once the fight begins, however, they both put up similar statistics and the PS4 issues - as small as they are - will hopefully be corrected for launch.
It should be noted that loading times on Xbox One are significantly longer than on PS4.
However, the technique relies upon excellent anti-aliasing and in this respect, the demo code suggests that despite equal pixel-counts, the PS4 game has the visual edge.

StevieP

Banned
Before getting out the pitch forks and yelling lazy devs till the cows come home, perhaps you guys should realize the hardware in these consoles don't exactly chew through something 4xMSAA in this engine. It's a fairly taxing process and the hardware has it's limits. Be thankful you don't have a high level of smeared Vaseline post AA solution as with some of the games you guys normally praise as visual benchmarks on this gen

What's strange is that both version are 900p/30. What the fuck happened to the PS4 version? Held back on purpose for parity?
Considering the AA solution is better on PS4 perhaps they saw the further elimination of aliasing as more important the resolution?

On the DF video it seems like PS4 not only dips (by like 1fps) but also speeds up (also by 1/2 fps). I guess if they lock it at 30 it'd deal with the latter, still shouldn't be too much of a problem though.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Completely different situation though, given that The Order is still native resolution, just missing some vertical pixels.

Well yes from an aesthetic perspective it looks better, but it's about the same number of pixels from a technical perspective.

On my PC I always go with native resolution and then less AA for that reason, but I'm just explaining that they didn't sit there and go "MWUHAHAHAHAHA WE'LL MAKE THE PS4 VERSION WORSE." they just spent it on more MSAA instead.

Top Bottom