• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[DF] Elden Ring performance: what to expect on PS5, Series X/S and PC

Salmon

Not sure what kind of ps5 you’re playing on playing on PS5 now and it’s pretty damn fluid. Was playing DS3 on PS5 earlier this isn’t that fluid which is a locked 60 but it’s close. Game feels good in both modes.

Edited to add: if you can defeat the tutorial boss it’s worth it.
Standard PS5 disk edition. The only way to get it to play at a solid 60 fps, is to play the PS4 version on your PS4 at a lower resolution. Fluid? Hmmm, it was the first thing I noticed when I started playing, and also my gf said the same thing. Try standing still and just turn the camera around you. It stutters like every second. For me, it almost unplayable. I will wait until they fix the game with a patch. Also dropping frames down to 40fps.

Last edited:

Zathalus

It's just fun, see you when/if xbox comes out on top.
Yes, the next game that has notable advantages on XSX I'll pick it up for that platform. Just like I bought the PS5 version of Elden Ring despite it likely going to feel worse to play due to the lack of VRR. But I'm sure Sony is eventually going to patch that in, making the PS5 version of Elden Ring the definitive console version.

It feels good to not be shackled to a single console.

Not sure what kind of ps5 you’re playing on playing on PS5 now and it’s pretty damn fluid. Was playing DS3 on PS5 earlier this isn’t that fluid which is a locked 60 but it’s close. Game feels good in both modes.

Edited to add: if you can defeat the tutorial boss it’s worth it.
Please do everyone a favor and pan the camera around your character in performance mode like the other person suggested. It stutters constantly on Ps5, every 1-2 seconds, just like he said. By you telling people how fluid it is your spreading misinformation and giving more false credence to those here claiming its smoothe.

It is not smooth and DF's, Nx gamers video will prove it whenever that is put out. I don't mean to sound like an asshole but some of you are really bad at noticing what's going on in a game when it comes to framerate and stuttering.

Maybe it's because I have an oled which tends to amplify fps issues but it was immediately noticeable and didn't stop stuttering once in the 3-4 hours I played

DJ12

Yet if you've got it you are playing the best version and not some stutter mess that's on the ps5, pc and xbox without g sync or vrr
But again it has nothing to do with a performance review.

Vrr or not, the performance isn't good enough.

Stop trying to spin it.

rofif

Banned
Please do everyone a favor and pan the camera around your character in performance mode like the other person suggested. It stutters constantly on Ps5, every 1-2 seconds, just like he said. By you telling people how fluid it is your spreading misinformation and giving more false credence to those here claiming its smoothe.

It is not smooth and DF's, Nx gamers video will prove it whenever that is put out. I don't mean to sound like an asshole but some of you are really bad at noticing what's going on in a game when it comes to framerate and stuttering.

Maybe it's because I have an oled which tends to amplify fps issues but it was immediately noticeable and didn't stop stuttering once in the 3-4 hours I played
It's not because you have oled. It's running 50-55 fps on 60hz output. IT MUST show stutter/framepacing issues

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
But again it has nothing to do with a performance review.

Vrr or not, the performance isn't good enough.

Stop trying to spin it.
I completely agree, performance is not good enough on any platform.

Luckily, Xbox and PC users with the correct displays have hardware in their systems to alleviate the issues to an extent. PC is buggered tho. I'm getting 2 one second hangs randomly, no idea whats causing it. Strange thing is my dark souls 3 is doing it as well.

I feel fromsoft has broken something with their engine

Last edited:

GHG

Gold Member

Luckily, Xbox and PC users with the correct displays have hardware in their systems to alleviate the issues to an extent. PC is buggered tho. I'm getting 2 one second hangs randomly, no idea whats causing it. Strange thing is my dark souls 3 is doing it as well.

Is VRR fixing your one second hangs?

Also I love how there seems to be a subsection of people here ignoring this abundantly clear statement in the OP:

- Even with the trade-offs PS4 app on PS5 is the best way to play the game on consoles right now

That's how I played it last night, perfectly smooth experience and it it still looks very good. I don't know what I'm missing out on graphically with the PS5 version but the IQ is good (it looks clean 6 feet away from a 65" TV) and it's still the best looking From Software developed game I've ever seen on console.

Spending so much money on a display, you might as well go PC.

The fact is that if someone is really so concerned about having a smooth gaming experience then they would be playing on PC for 99% of games anyway. This game is an outlier in the worst way possible.

Last edited:

Riky

$MSFT
Playing the low setting PS4 version on PS5 is a poor compromise to make in resolution and settings as the comparisons show, but if that's all the choice you've got then I suppose it's better than wobbly performance.

Riky

$MSFT

Yes Xbox is fixing what From Software can't thankfully.

GHG

Gold Member
Playing the low setting PS4 version on PS5 is a poor compromise to make in resolution and settings as the comparisons show, but if that's all the choice you've got then I suppose it's better than wobbly performance.

You're a clown. The game isn't a graphical showcase at max settings regardless and it's a game that really benefits from having a locked framerate due to the intricacy of the combat.

Now all of a sudden you want to say that resolution and your VRR compensating for stutters and drops to 30-40fps is a superior experience to a scenario where you're getting a fully locked 60fps with good IQ, along with good loading times?

Can you honestly look at this and say that the Series X and PS5 versions are a worthwhile step up over the PS4 pro version graphically?:

James Franco GIF

Last edited:

Riky

$MSFT
You're a clown. The game isn't a graphical showcase at max settings regardless and it's a game that really benefits from having a locked framerate due to the intricacy of the combat.

Now all of a sudden you want to say that resolution and your VRR compensating for dropped frames and stutters while the game drops to 30-40fps is a superior experience to a scenario where you're getting a fully locked 60fps with good IQ along with good load?

Can you honestly look at this and say that the Series X and PS5 versions are a worthwhile step up over the PS4 pro version graphically?:

James Franco GIF

Clearly higher settings on the bigger consoles, but if you want to play the PS4 last gen version knock yourself out, enjoy.
DF tweeted how they were actually playing the game, they obviously didn't fancy that path.

Last edited:

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Is VRR fixing your one second hangs?

Also I love how there seems to be a subsection of people here ignoring this abundantly clear statement in the OP:

That's how I played it last night, perfectly smooth experience and it it still looks very good. I don't know what I'm missing out on graphically with the PS5 version but the IQ is good (it looks clean 6 feet away from a 65" TV) and it's still the best looking From Software developed game I've ever seen on console.

The fact is that if someone is really so concerned about having a smooth gaming experience then they would be playing on PC for 99% of games anyway. This game is an outlier in the worst way possible.

It's fine on xbox but not on pc where I want to play it. Gonna pick up the ps4 version.

Thx for the advice, glad its looking ok. Amazon are delivering by 10pm tonight.

Joke that we have to buy the ps4 version lol but I was planning to get it anyway.

Xbox is fine but Im pissed off with my PC right now. My 12900K build is being built and should arrive next week, but it will annoy me if its my RTX 3080.

Im getting the same issues as this in dark souls 3 and Elden Ring now! -

Last edited:
Reactions: GHG

MaKTaiL

Sony needs to get on the ball with VRR, they'd have the best console version of the game if they did right now.
I seriously hope that if/when they add VRR to PS5, it just works with all titles. But I fucking doubt it.
That's not the Sony way.

GHG

Gold Member
Clearly higher settings on the bigger consoles, but if you want to play the PS4 last gen version knock yourself out, enjoy.
DF tweeted how they were actually playing the game, they obviously didn't fancy that path.

John tweeted, not all of DF. You might want to wait for their video analysis before blowing your trumpet. For now the statement in their article is clear:

- Even with the trade-offs PS4 app on PS5 is the best way to play the game on consoles right now

There's also this:

So tell me Riky, how are you getting around these moments when the lower framerate becomes obvious? Do you just shut your eyes and pray to the VRR gods?

So, they are saying play the PS4 App or PS4 version on your PS5 for the best frame rate and performance? Even over the PS5 version in performance mode? I’ll probably stick to fidelity mode anyway, but that’s pretty weird.

sankt-Antonio

:^)--?-<
Yeah, even with YT compression its evident there is a difference in IQ. From are just incompetent. PS5 should run this game in 120Hz not a wobbly 50-60Hz.

Ogbert

So, they are saying play the PS4 App or PS4 version on your PS5 for the best frame rate and performance? Even over the PS5 version in performance mode? I’ll probably stick to fidelity mode anyway, but that’s pretty weird.
Yep.

It’s From and their crappy frame pacing again. They get away with because, like Bloodbourne before it, no one really points out that the game runs like ass.

Infuriating. Love the games but the free pass they get on technical shortcomings is really annoying.

Sosokrates

Report me if I continue to console war
Anyone know what the loading timed are on PC with a NVMe SSD? The series console loading times look abnormally high compared to the PS5.

DJ12

Yet if you've got it you are playing the best version and not some stutter mess that's on the ps5, pc and xbox without g sync or vrr
I'm still struggling to see how this is relevant to your comment on a performance review.

Performance is unaffected by VRR.

Last edited:

ethomaz

Banned
Namco probably promised them xbox performance will be fixed in the day 365 patch so they are waiting for that to drop first.
Well From asked them to not release information without day one patch indeed.

Last edited:

Riky

$MSFT
John tweeted, not all of DF. You might want to wait for their video analysis before blowing your trumpet. For now the statement in their article is clear:

There's also this:

So tell me Riky, how are you getting around these moments when the lower framerate becomes obvious? Do you just shut your eyes and pray to the VRR gods?

I'm safe in the knowledge it's better than suffering them at all times, that simple, they say.
"Xbox Series X is greatly improved by its system-level support for variable refresh rate (VRR) if you have a supporting display. VRR helps minimise the perceived judder in its 45-60fps range in frame-rate mode, creating a smoother experience by matching the screen refresh to the frame-rate. This may not be a solution for everybody, but for those with compatible TVs it's the best option
"

Greatly improved is better than not being improved. You enjoy your PS4 version though, it's obviously a great game which is what matters most.

GHG

Gold Member
I hope Sony never enables VRR on PS5, I fear for his mental health.

It will just expose his fraudulence. This guy marches around saying VRR when games are dropping sub 50fps claiming those drops are not at all noticeable because of fabled said VRR. I can tell you for a fact that is bullshit. Yes it helps smoothen out the experience you would have without it (no screen tear or judder) but you can still see and feel the drops. The time when it really helps is when you are just shy of 60fps or when it's mostly 60fps and there is the odd 3 fps drop under 60fps here and there. He's full of shit.

Yeah, even with YT compression its evident there is a difference in IQ. From are just incompetent. PS5 should run this game in 120Hz not a wobbly 50-60Hz.

If you're sat right up to a monitor then yes, you can see the difference. But from a normal sitting difference on a 4k TV? No, it's not noticeable enough to make the sacrifice in framerate. This isn't a Horizon FW performance vs resolution situation we are talking about here.

It's not weird. It's pretty much the only way to get a smooth 60fps experience without drops/stutters/hangs.

Along with the video I posted above Bojji Bojji posted a few comparisons between the PS4 pro version running on PS5 and the native PS5 version along with his impressions:

The trade-off simply isn't worth it for a game like this. Honestly until they fix their shit the PS4 pro version settings should be an option for both next gen consoles via the native app.

yewles1

98 on Metacritic. Game needs to be held to a higher standard.

Again... 98 on Metacritic.

Video games are technical pieces of art.

This game should be a technical masterpiece like RDR 2, TLOU 2, GOW, GTA V, etc all were if its going to get such high scores.

It runs like crap and looks like a PS3 game.

People need to hold FROM accountable. They have the talent and the hardware to make better looking games. Its not like they're releasing shit on the Switch. Do better. Demand better.
Reviewers need to be held accountable first.

ethomaz

Banned
Nobody cares anymore about Dirt 5, even when it was given away “for free” on both services. Time to move on from the launch window trolling.
I’m not even sure why he need VRR in Dirt 5 that runs 60fps locked on PS5.

Unless he wants to play with PS2 graphics lol

Plus VRR on Dirt 5 makes the image worse.

Last edited:

iorek21

Just so we are clear: this is not a Cyberpunk 2077 situation, right?

Also, I bought PS5 disc, can I play the PS4 version?

Gobjuduck

Banned
I just spent 6 hours playing elden ring on my Series X. It runs very well. The only frame drops I witnessed were short and after loading screens.

Seems like Series X is the way to go, even over PC.

ethomaz

Banned

It doesn’t crash every 5 minutes… yes it still way better than Cyberpunk state.

Last edited:

Zathalus

Makes me sad as an avid PS5 owner the continued brushing off of VRR as a feature. I would fucking love for it to be finally enabled and am sad it's not ready for Elden Ring.

GHG

Gold Member
I'm safe in the knowledge it's better than suffering them at all times, that simple, they say.
"Xbox Series X is greatly improved by its system-level support for variable refresh rate (VRR) if you have a supporting display. VRR helps minimise the perceived judder in its 45-60fps range in frame-rate mode, creating a smoother experience by matching the screen refresh to the frame-rate. This may not be a solution for everybody, but for those with compatible TVs it's the best option
"

Greatly improved is better than not being improved. You enjoy your PS4 version though, it's obviously a great game which is what matters most.

Yeh it was so greatly improved that he was left scrambling to see if there was a way to run the Xbox One version on the Series X and had to settle for "fine enough":

You can tell it's not 60fps:

Oh and as an added bonus you get the usual trade-offs that you get when running VRR on a TV:

But yes, I hope you're managing to enjoy the game despite the inconsistent performance you'll be experiencing.

VFXVeteran

Banned
VFXVeteran VFXVeteran what hdr setting you use? I see horrible gradients banding on my lg c1. In game I just lowered hdr max to 800 nits and left sliders at 0.
The banding in the intro looked really wrong. Maybe game wants other black levels entirely
I'll have to check but I saw that banding in the beginning and that's the render itself. It's literally using a small color palette. Everything else should look ok.

Zathalus

Oh and as an added bonus you get the usual trade-offs that you get when running VRR on a TV:

That's got nothing to do with VRR degrading the image quality, John prefers to use BFI which cannot be used at the same time as VRR. He is apparently super sensitive to motion clarity.

Personally, BFI is not worth the brightness hit for me, especially on a OLED.

Reactions: GHG

Ogbert

No, nowhere near. Cyberpunk was broken.

But the frame pacing is really annoying. I appreciate some of us here, being nerd enthusiasts, are likely far more sensitive to this stuff. But reviews should have been calling this out way more.

I just cannot fathom how any PS5 review wouldn’t call out the persistent frame stutter when you move the camera.

Top Bottom