• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[DF] Elden Ring: PS5 vs Xbox Series X/S Tech Review - The Best Ways to Play on Next-Gen Consoles (Video)

Jose92

[Membe

tl;dr
  • Compared to the network test the game's fps is worse and tweaked graphical setting added volumetric mist and improved shadow draw distance
  • PS5 has higher fps compared to Xbox series X in both modes some times can be up too 8fps
  • Xbox Series x VRR supports helps mitigate the dropped frames in performance mode
  • They refused to give a winner in the Resolution even thought they admitted that frame to frame comparison proved that ps5 would have a higher resolution
  • Loading times on ps5 is 3 times faster compared to Xbox series s/x
  • Fixed 4k on PS5 and Xbox Series X in quality mode 1440p for Series S
  • Dynamic 4k on PS5 and Xbox Series X bound between 1512p-2160p Series S between 1008p-1440p in Performance Mode

Screenshot_2022-03-01_at_9.44.49_pm.png

Last edited:

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Text article:

For PC users the game's optimisation is much more of a distraction - where consoles don't see the same degree of stuttering. It's a shame though that PS5 and Series X are clearly capable of running better and perhaps a good start would be a true '60fps mode', even if it relies on PS4 Pro or One X settings. The lack of movement from the network test suggests that performance isn't a priority for From Software - but we'd love to see an update that proves that this isn't the case.

ehh... rather than advocating From to drop to PS4 Pro/Xbox One X equivalent settings, we should be expecting a proper 60 FPS mode with current gen settings. The game, as it is, doesn't look like it oughta be that demanding in the first place.

Microsoft's system-level integration of variable refresh rate (VRR) support at least resolves this issue - if it's an option for you, we recommend setting your screen to 60Hz (even if it supports 120Hz) and using VRR here to smooth out the performance drops. All told, this is our preferred way to play the game across any available system - though in non-VRR mode, PlayStation 5 does actually run better. Typically, while traversing on foot, there's a margin of around 10fps in PS5's favour - though on horseback Series X can at points take a lead of its own. It's a mixed bag, but PS5 does have an advantage in frame-rate mode overall. Still, without VRR support, the v-sync judder is present either way.

And there you go, if you have a VRR capable display, the Series X version is the preferred version, otherwise it's the PS5.

Riky Riky take a bow you magnificent man.

Last edited:

Caio

locked 60 just not gonna happen on any console, unless you play BC ps4 game on ps5 while losing graphic quality
So, PS5 has generally higher fps, but XSX with VRR feels smoother, right ? I only have XSX right now, so doesn't matter that much for me. And what about resolution ? Just to know.

Last edited:

Jose92

[Membe
So, PS5 has generally higher fps, but XSX with VRR feels smoother, right ? I only have XSX right now, so doesn't matter that much for me. And what about resolution ? Just to know.
  • Fixed 4k on PS5 and Xbox Series X in quality mode 1440p for Series S
  • Dynamic 4k on PS5 and Xbox Series X bound between 1512p-2160p Series S between 1008p-1440p

Last edited:
Text article:

ehh... rather than advocating From to drop to PS4 Pro/Xbox One X equivalent settings, we should be expecting a proper 60 FPS mode with current gen settings. The game, as it is, doesn't look like it oughta be that demanding in the first place.

And there you go, if you have a VRR capable display, the Series X version is the preferred version, otherwise it's the PS5.

Riky Riky take a bow you magnificent man.
THIS! Dropping settings to Ps4 pro levels on PS5 is a terrible idea! I could see maybe including an OPTIONAL mode running ps4 pro but to just settle for lower settings would be lazy and cheap. Sometimes I really don't understand what DF and NX are thinking with some of their suggestions.

There's ZERO reason the ps5 should struggle to not lock 60 fps with current settings.

Draugoth

Gold Member
Quality mode:

PS5 - Native 4K, 30-60fps

Series X - Native 4K, 30-60fps

Series S - 1440p, 30-60fps

Performance mode:

All 3 consoles have worse shadows in this mode compared to the quality mode.

PS5 - Dynamic 4K (goes as low as 1512p). They noticed the resolution was higher than Series X in some like-for-like scenes but it sounds pretty minor. Generally around 45-60fps.

Series X - Dynamic 4K (goes as low as 1512p). Like PS5, it's generally around 45-60fps (can drop below 40) but generally it runs worse than PS5 in like-for-like scenes. If you have VRR though it makes the game feel pretty good so this version was John's preferred way to play.

Series S - Dynamic 1440p (goes as low as 1008p) at around 40-60fps but generally framerates lower than Series X. Worse shadow quality than PS5/XSX.

Loading times:

PS5 loads almost three times faster than XSX/XSS

Notes:

• This is based on the recent patch 1.02 but it doesn't feel like things improved much at all from 1.00 or even the network test. It varies but in general it seems framerates are overall worse than in the network test. The shadow draw distance seems to have gotten worse too.
  • Playing the PS4 Pro version on PS5 is a very stable 60fps but you get checkerboarded 1800p with foliage draw distance and kinda bad shadows. Best way to play it performance-wise even compared to PC.
  • Motion blur seems to be enabled and disabled on different scenes but it varies between consoles and modes. For example you get motion blur for the first boss fight on PS5/XSX but not Series S.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
If you gave access to both a PS5 and a Series X, choose the PS4 version.

t3qkhrohrh321.jpg

-

Further disappointing to see the game actually got both visual *AND* performance down grades from the Network test.

From Software really do suck at optimizing game ..

Can't wait to play the proper Blue Point remake for this next gen.

Left Network test: higher draw distance, shadow distance, less fog, better frame rate.
Right: final retail, everything worse.

the fuck.

1kfjjo.png

Last edited:

Mr Moose

You will get a great experience, this quote from the article sums it all up.

"using VRR here to smooth out the performance drops. All told, this is our preferred way to play the game across any available system"
Our? From the video, I thought it was only John that tested with VRR.
Face-off by Thomas Morgan
Oh, never mind.

Last edited:

NickFire

I ain't gonna be the guy who does it, but I strongly suspect someone will be bumping some old threads after reading one version has triple the load times of the other.

S0ULZB0URNE

You will get a great experience, this quote from the article sums it all up.

"using VRR here to smooth out the performance drops. All told, this is our preferred way to play the game across any available system"
Regarding that, why not quote all that both of them said after what (just) John said?

skit_data

Tested the PS4 version on PS5, but the loading times was unbearable so I downloaded the PS5 version instead.

So far the framerate is fine in frame rate mode, but I’m only at Margit so I’m only about an hour in or so.

Wooxsvan

been playing PS4 on PS5 and has been incredible. switched a few times to PS5 native and the frame drops and hitches are very noticeable.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
I have the PS5 version waiting, but haven't started yet (haven't quite had the motivation these last few days). Either way, pathetic results on all platforms. From make great terrible games.

Top Bottom