• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[DF] Elden Ring: PS5 vs Xbox Series X/S Tech Review - The Best Ways to Play on Next-Gen Consoles (Video)

Your point is based on rubbish then, because I'm not defending anything, just explaining why DF gave the conclusion that they did, and why it is the logical decision.

A game that pretty much never has a locked framerate at 60fps, being played on a locked 60hz monitor, will literally be stuttering almost all the time you're playing. That's how unstable framerates work on fixed refresh rate displays. That's inarguable fact.

Playing the same game on a different console, even if it performs a few fps lower on average while still in the mid-high 50s, but on a variable refresh rate monitor will literally eliminate that stutter. That is literally the point of variable refresh rates.

So we have some people arguing that saving ~6 seconds when you die but having stutter and constantly diminished input lag is preferable to having a completely smooth stutter-free experience with no hit to input lag, but with ~6 second longer load times when you die (but also reduced load times every time you turn the game on thanks to Quick Resume).

I, like Digital Foundry, completely disagree with those people. Framerate and gameplay experience is king, and after having experienced stutter-free gaming I will not play a game that doesn't have a near constant 60fps frame rate unless I'm playing it on a VRR capable system and display.

The only reason that the Xbox is their "best place to play the game" and not the PC version is because somehow the PC version is even worse than the PS5 and Xbox Series version. If it wasn't, I'd be in here having this same conversation with you but pointing out why the PC version is the best place to play it. It being Xbox has literally nothing to do with it.
I did not read this fyi all i see is blah blah blah xsx is the best blah blah blah.

Edit im just going to set you to ignore, you certainly have earned it.

Last edited:

MrFunSocks

Banned
The main culprit of this is DF, always saying that you don’t notice dips in framerate with VRR, when you still do.
When they're in the 50s on a 60fps game, no, you really don't.

The big difference anyway is that you don't get the stuttering and increased input lag that comes with framerate drops on platforms/displays without VRR.

People not knowing how VRR works seems to be a common thing around here.

Last edited:

Godfavor

I actually prefer quality mode with VRR as it enables better quality motion blur and very crisp image, and it feels smoother than locked 30 fps games.

The only times I notice an fps drop is with fog and rain combined on the screen where presumably the frame rate drops below 40 fps. But 99% of the time the experience is silky smooth. Can't imagine playing this game without VRR, I'd probably bring it back to the store (despite it being my favorite game maybe ever).

Last edited:

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
I think it’s this simple and doesn’t need to be anything else.

if you have a series x and a vrr display you will get the most fluid and consistent frame times to have what DF consider the best gaming experience at the expense of longer load times.

if you require the best performance at the cost of image quality and loading times the PS4 version on a ps5 is the best place to play.

if you want super fast load times and the best image quality on console but with hitching noticeable frame drops while playing the game then the ps5 native app is for you.

if you have a g sync display and can live with small 1 to 2 second random periods of hitching then the pc version maxed out is the one for you.

basically all versions suffer from some issues and need to be patched, but these are the key options I believe.

Last edited:

Bojji

I think it’s this simple and doesn’t need to be anything else.

if you have a series x and a vrr display you will get the most fluid and consistent frame times to have what DF consider the best gaming experience at the expense of longer load times.

if you require the best performance at the cost of image quality and loading times the PS4 version on a ps5 is the best place to play.

if you want super fast load times and the best image quality on console but with hitching noticeable frame drops while playing the game then the ps5 native app is for you.

if you have a g sync display and can live with small 1 to 2 second random periods of hitching then the pc version maxed out is the one for you.

basically all versions suffer from some issues and need to be patched, but these are the key options I believe.

Load times are super close so you lose shadow quality and tall grass (that has awful popin in PS5/XS version).

Pedro Motta

The big difference anyway is that you don't get the stuttering and increased input lag that comes with framerate drops on platforms/displays without VRR.

Don't be ridiculous mate.

people expect blockbuster standards when blockbuster budgets and development times are involved, deal with it.
And what is the 'official' budget for the game and I mean where it's been confirmed officially by 343 or MS. At the end of the day Eden Ring looks so last gen.
I'll say Dark Souls 3 looks better

Haggard

Banned
And what is the 'official' budget for the game and I mean where it's been confirmed officially by 343 or MS. At the end of the day Eden Ring looks so last gen.
I'll say Dark Souls 3 looks better
So now you`ve lived under a stone for the last 2 years and missed all the material and news concerning Halo:I k....playing stupid.
Elden Ring looks as expected from a last gen From game, MS`s flagship Halo:I isn´t anywhere close to what the marketing promised technology/content wise.
Blame MS for the expectations they set and whine in a Halo:I thread about it.

Last edited:
So now you`ve lived under a stone for the last 2 years and missed all the material and news concerning Halo:I k....playing stupid.
Elden Ring looks as expected from a last gen From game, MS`s flagship Halo:I isn´t anywhere close to what the marketing promised technology/content wise.
Blame MS for the expectations they set and whine in a Halo:I thread about it.
So that's code you haven't.

Unless you were living under a stone Halo was also set to be a cross gen title too and yet it turned out to be not just the best Halo game ever made but looks and runs great on all Xbox families of systems. A far cry from Elden Ring

SSfox

qfqfqfbikv5.png

gfnfnfkoj47.png

SourWeightyAmericankestrel-size_restricted.gif

bTACAUM.gif

FrankWza

Gold Member

Unless you were living under a stone Halo was also set to be a cross gen title too and yet it turned out to be not just the best Halo game ever made but looks and runs great on all Xbox families of systems. A far cry from Elden Ring
Isn’t it missing 120fps support from the s and also has VRR issues overall?

Last edited:

Nope you still have increased input lag. But I'm happy you can't post dumb things anymore. You certainly deserved it.

Haggard

Banned

Keep pretending other cross gen games don`t exist and Halo:I`s troubled development wasn`t made public.
The amount of utterly pathetic and pointless coping for a well received game by fanboys is amazing....

Now go troll some halo:i thread, I´m tired of talking to you.
/ignored.

Last edited:
Keep pretending other cross gen games don`t exist and Halo:I`s troubled development wasn`t made public.
The amount of utterly pathetic and pointless coping for a well received game by fanboys is amazing....

No go troll some halo:i thread, I´m tired of talking to you.
/ignored.
Halo was never made to be next-gen only, so spare us on that one. No go off and try some proof of Halo development budget...

intbal

I don't know how many people here regularly watch the DF Direct videos. If you don't, you might have missed this from today.
Also, this would only really be for those interested in such matters.
Here's a lengthy discussion (almost half an hour) from DF about the nature of Elden Ring's technical issues. Interesting revelations about the weird choices in the X1X version. It just keeps pushing resolution and settings higher, so a good framerate is not possible. Lots of talk about the PC version as well.
Cued up to the beginning of the discussion:

S0ULZB0URNE

I don't know how many people here regularly watch the DF Direct videos. If you don't, you might have missed this from today.
Here's a lengthy discussion (almost half an hour) from DF about the nature of Elden Ring's technical issues. Interesting revelations about the weird choices in the X1X version. It just keeps pushing resolution and settings higher, so a good framerate is not possible. Lots of talk about the PC version as well.

With Elden Ring the resolution and fps is higher on PS5 than XSX.

intbal

intbal intbal
"from DF about the nature of Elden Ring's technical issues. Interesting revelations about the weird choices in the X1X version. It just keeps pushing resolution and settings higher, "

Am I missing something?
Apparently.
You wrote something about PS5 and Xbox Series X.
I never even mentioned those consoles. So I don't know what you're thinking.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?

Just finished their ER segment.

Yeah, real funky and real weird work by From on the Xbox versions, the Xbox One X version just keeps targeting higher resolution instead of 60hz even in BC mode.

They said the native Series version runs better than the BC mode, so no chance for a PS4 Pro style performance scenario here either way.

If One X had targeted CB instead of native 1800p~2160p, probably would have ran the same.

Capcom were able to fix the RE3make performance issues on One X by dropping resolution to match Pro instead of running 4K, From can do something similar but asking them to fix something after launch is usually a fools errand.

Last edited:

Darsxx82

I think that is enough important information to reupload the thread.... According to DF, patch 1.3 brings a performance boost on consoles in addition to other improvements that were seen in the Network test and missed in the final game.

While all versions run better, it is XSeries (XSX specially) that would see the biggest difference from what was seen at launch.

That said, still far from what would be desirable in terms of performance a game of this technical level on consoles more than capable.

In my opinion, one more indication to the existing ones, that invite us to think that the Xbox versions suffered less attention in terms of optimization. And yet another case (there are already many and almost becoming a trend) of XSeries games that see performance improvements, or fix inconsistencies or "bugs" in patches after release (DL2, Little Nigtmare2,Control, Grid Legend...)

Last edited:

FrankWza

Gold Member
In my opinion, one more indication to the existing ones, that invite us to think that the Xbox versions suffered less attention in terms of optimization.
Or maybe it’s having that extra console to work on and requires extra attention in general.
Also saw similar improvements on PS5 with this patch.

Last edited:

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
I think that is enough important information to reupload the thread.... According to DF, patch 1.3 brings a performance boost on consoles in addition to other improvements that were seen in the Network test and missed in the final game.

While all versions run better, it is XSeries (XSX specially) that would see the biggest difference from what was seen at launch.

That said, still far from what would be desirable in terms of performance a game of this technical level on consoles more than capable.

In my opinion, one more indication to the existing ones, that invite us to think that the Xbox versions suffered less attention in terms of optimization. And yet another case (there are already many and almost becoming a trend) of XSeries games that see performance improvements, or fix inconsistencies or "bugs" in patches after release (DL2, Little Nigtmare2,Control, Grid Legend...)

Thanks for sharing.

Among all the dozens of topics ER already has, I think this notable performance improvements from this patch should definitely get a topic of it's own.

Skifi28

basically the most unoptimized game ever.
People are just used to most games being near perfect these days. A 50-60 fps experience, while not desirable, is far from being terrible. Try going a few years back in the PS3-360 era where most console open world games were 20-25fps at sub-720p.

Last edited:

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
great to hear that patch 1.03 is improving performance. im sure all versions will get there at some point.

watching the video and the series X is more or less on par with the PS5 now, just needs its DRS updating and a few more patches and they will be where they should be I think. Hopefully they can get to a locked 60 FPS on everything.

Once VRR is available on PS5 they will be more or less identical and both places will be the best place to play, but now with the performance on XBOX ill probably do my next play there.

Last edited:
Top Bottom