• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[DF] Elden Ring: PS5 vs Xbox Series X/S Tech Review - The Best Ways to Play on Next-Gen Consoles (Video)

MrFunSocks

Banned
But its not a few extra seconds, it hours. I understand YOU prefer the XsX VRR solution and thats fine. I prefer the PS5 loading advantage. Nothing is wrong with either choice. Why does this bother you? Its like you taking offense to someone liking mustard over ketchup on a hot dog.
Lol so now we’re just claiming as fact that it’s hours of loading for everyone? For every hour of gameplay it might add up to an extra minute of loading lol. And in that hour of gameplay you didn’t have a stuttery unstable frame rate for 59 minutes of the hour.

It’s hilarious that you’re saying I’m the one being bothered while you’re clearly bothered lol.

If you take worse 99% of the time for a better 1% of the time rather than the opposite, you’re making a bad decision objectively.

Last edited:
Lol so now we’re just claiming as fact that it’s hours of loading for everyone? For every hour of gameplay it might add up to an extra minute of loading lol. And in that hour of gameplay you didn’t have a stuttery unstable frame rate.

It’s hilarious that you’re saying I’m the one being bothered while you’re clearly bothered lol.

If you take worse 99% of the time for a better 1% of the time rather than the opposite, you’re making a bad decision objectively.
Stop sniffing your own farts. We're are clearly not going to find common ground so im just going to end this here.

S0ULZB0URNE

Dude, chill. I got no problem with talking to you directly I should have quoted you.

im trying to say, enjoy the game and the reality is…most people playing this game who give a shit about souls games are playing the PS4 version that doesn’t show a loading advantage. No need to sit there and do maths to just join on a console warring agenda.

the games amazing, yes 5 hours over an entire play time would be considerable but in reality it’s something that people won’t even think about too much when they are loving the game. We used to sit through 40 second to 1 minute loading times on oblivion and shit.

honestly though, take some time and think if you want to come at me and call me names man. You don’t need to put out that energy into the world and against random people on the Internet. It ain’t worth it.

all good.
Nope! It plays more than good enough on the PS5 version.

I don't know a single person playing the Pro version on PS5.

S0ULZB0URNE

Lol so now we’re just claiming as fact that it’s hours of loading for everyone? For every hour of gameplay it might add up to an extra minute of loading lol. And in that hour of gameplay you didn’t have a stuttery unstable frame rate for 59 minutes of the hour.

Every time you fast travel...
It loads and you fast travel often.

You should try the game(it's great) and you will see.

MrFunSocks

Banned
What? Completely smooth? It never is don't make shit up.
VRR does NOT improve performance, it does NOT magically make it to locked 60fps, it matches the Hz with fps.
Here’s some light reading for you guys that clearly don’t understand what VRR is and why it is amazing precisely for games like Elden Ring that have a constantly fluctuating frame rate:

The gist of it is this:

As long as you are within the dynamic refresh rate range of FreeSync, you will not experience screen stuttering, tearing, or a noticeable increase in input lag.

sircaw

Banned

You do realize that people with vrr tv sets are like a tiny fraction of the playing public out there.

Remember the "Most people don't have 4k tv sets debacle", well if that's a fact then it's even lower with vrr sets.

The truth is, everyone that owns a ps5 gets that load time, unlike " your game is shit and unplayable" if you are not one of the 1% that own a vvr set.

It is boring and obtuse the way you guys are going on about it, every fucking thread without fail is getting bombarded with the usual vrr shite.

Said people are trying to use this as a console warring gotcha moment and its beyond obvious.

Last edited:
Here’s some light reading for you guys that clearly don’t understand what VRR is and why it is amazing precisely for games like Elden Ring that have a constantly fluctuating frame rate:

The gist of it is this:
it is HUGE

I'm playing on a XSX with LG C1 and I have zero stutter

game is incredibly smooth and overall an amazing experience

S0ULZB0URNE

The gist of it is this:
But you will experience a lower fps.

Mr Moose

The gist of it is this:
Can you do the maths on how many of those playtime hours will be below 60fps with stuttering on the PS5 vs a completely smooth experience the entire time on the series X?
No mention of VRR until your 3rd line, this looks like a general statement to me.

Show you don’t understand VRR without saying you don’t understand VRR lol

As I said, VRR matches the Hz to the fps. Shows you don't understand what it is.
AMD FreeSync technology synchronizes monitor's refresh rate (Hz) with the graphics card's frame rate (FPS) to eliminate screen tearing and stuttering.
You died tried.

FrankWza

Gold Member
I cant speak for everyone but i personally moved from the perfect frame rate of the PS4 version to the PS5 version because of loading. I suck at souls games so for ME it was worth it.
Most of these posters aren’t playing the game. It’s really obvious. The rest couldn’t even be bothered to watch the video and that’s pretty obvious too. It’s all an attempt to derail. The bottom line is that the PS4 version on PS5 is the only 60fps version. The PS5 is the next best performing with an average in the mid 50s and they both have the best load times. In a few weeks the VRR update will make any arguments moot.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
it is HUGE

I'm playing on a XSX with LG C1 and I have zero stutter

game is incredibly smooth and overall an amazing experience

It really is a amazing that the human eye can not register drops when the screen and game are syncing at the same time, to a certain extent of course.

MrFunSocks

Banned
No mention of VRR until your 3rd line, this looks like a general statement to me.

As I said, VRR matches the Hz to the fps. Shows you don't understand what it is.

You died tried.
Are you serious right now?

VRR eliminates the stutter that comes from frame rate drops on fixed refresh rate monitors.

Elden ring rarely has a stable consistent frame rate of 60fps. That means that without VRR it will be constantly stuttering as the refresh rate of the game isn’t matching the refresh rate of the screen.

You clearly do not understand the technology or what VRR was made for.

Last edited:

Mr Moose

Are you serious right now?

VRR eliminates the stutter that comes from frame rate drops on fixed refresh rate monitors.

Elden ring rarely has a stable consistent frame rate of 60fps. That means that without VRR it will be constantly stuttering as the refresh rate of the game isn’t matching the refresh rate of the screen.

You clearly do not understand the technology or what VRR was made for.
Read your first comment again. You made a general statement about Series X having no problems, you didn't mention VRR until your 3rd line.
Can you do the maths on how many of those playtime hours will be below 60fps with stuttering on the PS5 vs a completely smooth experience the entire time on the series X?

The frame rate seems to pretty much never stay at 60fps, ever, therefore playlength - loading times = stuttery frame rate on PS5.

VRR is a good thing, and many people who downplay it now will praise it when/if the PS5 gets it. It’s legit amazing. A constantly fluctuating 50-60fps feels like a completely stable frame rate.

Go and ask any pc master race player if they’d prefer loading times to be 5 seconds faster or gsync/free sync on a game that struggles to hit its capped frame rate and you’ll struggle to find a single person prefer the faster loading.
Completely smooth, sure.

MrFunSocks

Banned
Read your first comment again. You made a general statement about Series X having no problems, you didn't mention VRR until your 3rd line.

Completely smooth, sure.
Oh my god lol. Why do you think I specifically mentioned stutter vs smooth? VRR eliminates stutter.

I didn’t say Series X had no problems, I said it is smooth and doesn’t stutter because of VRR.

Last edited:

Mr Moose

Oh my god lol. Why do you think I specifically mentioned stutter vs smooth? VRR eliminates stutter.

I didn’t say Series X had no problems, I said it is smooth and doesn’t stutter because of VRR.
Can you do the maths on how many of those playtime hours will be below 60fps with stuttering on the PS5 vs a completely smooth experience the entire time on the series X with VRR?
There then, I fixed it for you. :messenger_heart:
When the PS5 finally gets it I hope they don't just do HDMI VRR, my monitor is FreeSync.
I might even try the resolution mode again when it does, that shit felt horrible.

MrFunSocks

Banned
There then, I fixed it for you. :messenger_heart:
When the PS5 finally gets it I hope they don't just do HDMI VRR, my monitor is FreeSync.
I might even try the resolution mode again when it does, that shit felt horrible.
You didn’t fix anything. You tried to take quotes out of context to fit your narrative and clearly didn’t actually understand that VRR eliminates stutter from unstable frame rates.

Mr Moose

You didn’t fix anything. You tried to take quotes out of context to fit your narrative and clearly didn’t actually understand that VRR eliminates stutter from unstable frame rates.
I've seen Riky Riky talk about it enough to know what it does.

This is right:
Can you do the maths on how many of those playtime hours will be below 60fps with stuttering on the PS5 vs a completely smooth experience the entire time on the series X with VRR?
This is wrong:

Last edited:
I haven't even tested quality mode, I've been on performance mode with my XSX and C1

maybe I should give it a go when I hop on again

is there a big difference?

MrFunSocks

Banned
I've seen Riky Riky talk about it enough to know what it does.

This is right:
This is wrong:
The conversation I’ve been having has always been about VRR. Maybe you missed that but that’s not my fault and that doesn’t make me wrong. Read the post that I was replying to, and the conversation up until then. You don’t just get to jump in the middle of a conversation and remove all context to then try and get a gotcha.

You clearly do/did not actually understand what VRR does, since you didn’t know that it eliminates stutter due to frame rate fluctuations.

Last edited:

Mr Moose

with XSX + VRR + LG C1, will I notice a significant drop in performance?
Jaguar Victory Jaguar Victory Riky Riky might be able to help more, I think there's drops to low 30s so it might be noticeable at times.
The conversation I’ve been having has always been about VRR. Maybe you missed that but that’s not my fault and that doesn’t make me wrong. Read the post that I was replying to, and the conversation up until then. You don’t just get to jump in the middle of a conversation and remove all context to then try and get a gotcha.

You clearly do/did not actually understand what VRR does, since you didn’t know that it eliminates stutter due to frame rate fluctuations.
They never mentioned VRR, they were talking about loading times. Anyway, no point in going around in circles. Good day to you, Sir.
Edit: Do you mean this comment: are there no limits to what VRR can improve?

Last edited:

ethomaz

Banned
Yes... it is noticeable by John comments.
He said when it is dropping to 55-59fps it won't but when it drops to 40ish it is noticeable even with VRR.
It is feels like running at 40fps and not 60fps.

VRR doesn't hide the framerate feel... the response time is still compromised.

Said that it is perfectly fine even with variable framerate feel... our eyes adapts pretty fast.
It is more a issue for these guys that can't play anything below 60fps.

Last edited:

lingpanda

I go back and forth. I can stand playing lower FPS as long as it's not a shooter. Obviously not ideal, but I do like to see the better visuals now and then.
I can agree with this. I tried quality mode in Cyberpunk and it's a blurry mess when moving around. I tolerate performance mode for that game.

Riky

$MSFT

Not really, I'm level 20 something and it's been buttery smooth for me. When people think about framerate drops they are normally talking about a fixed refresh display and it's reaction to it, stuttering and screen tearing. That's all gone.
Actually telling the difference between 60 and 55fps is almost impossible if your display can handle it
That's why DF said it's the best way to play the game at the moment.

adamsapple

Yes... it is noticeable by John comments.
He said when it is dropping to 55-59fps it won't but when it drops to 40ish it is noticeable even with VRR.
It is feels like running at 40fps and not 60fps.

VRR doesn't hide the framerate feel... the response time is still compromised.

Said that it is perfectly fine even with variable framerate feel... our eyes adapts pretty fast.
It is more a issue for these guys that can't play anything below 60fps.

a/ that's literally not what he said. He says :

"If you're playing on Xbox and you have a VRR capable display then you can enjoy much more fluid response without judder, even though the actual frame rate is what it is, it doesn't feel bad. VRR saves the day. The problem is that you need a display that's capable of it.

b/ the point of VRR and syncing the display to match the games refresh is to ensure you DON'T feel the judder from the mismatch. A game dropping to 45~50hz with the display also syncing at the same refresh rate will not make the game feel like you've lost response, that's the whole point.

But if you have a game which drops to 50hz but the display is still syncing at 60hz, that's when you can feel the obvious judder because of the visual and response mismatch.

John/DF wouldn't call it the preferred way to play the game if it didn't do anything and the response still felt out of line.

-

I think there's still a very large fundamental misunderstanding of what VRR actually does in a lot of folks here.

Last edited:

mili2110

every game on XSX has VRR out of the box and DF never said they prefer the XSX version of a game when the PS5 version had better frametimes/fps which is kind of weird to me.

Last edited:

adamsapple

every game on XSX has VRR out of the box and DF never said they prefer the XSX version of a game when the PS5 version had better frametimes/fps which is kind of weird to me.

Probably cause this is a rare case where VRR makes the version that otherwise has lower frame rate feel better to play than the version which has a higher average frame rate (but still not high or close to 60 enough otherwise).

Like you said, normally if there's a difference in multi platform games, it's usually within a 1 to 2 % margin.

ethomaz

Banned
a/ that's literally not what he said. He says :

"If you're playing on Xbox and you have a VRR capable display then you can enjoy much more fluid response without judder, even though the actual frame rate is what it is, it doesn't feel bad. VRR saves the day. The problem is that you need a display that's capable of it.

b/ the point of VRR and syncing the display to match the games refresh is to ensure you DON'T feel the judder from the mismatch. A game dropping to 45~50hz with the display also syncing at the same refresh rate will not make the game feel like you've lost response, that's the whole point.

But if you have a game which drops to 50hz but the display is still syncing at 60hz, that's when you can feel the obvious judder because of the visual and response mismatch.

John/DF wouldn't call it the preferred way to play the game if it didn't do anything and the response still felt out of line.

-

I think there's still a very large fundamental misunderstanding of what VRR actually does in a lot of folks here.
Man... I'm not even sure how you can do that when he said exactly that lol
About the game in question.

And yes you feel the lose of response because you lose response from 60fps to 45fps.

Last edited:

adamsapple

Man... I'm not even sure how you can do that when he said exactly that lol

By quoting what he said in the video verbatim, which is more recent than those tweets.

The video's there for anyone to see and hear what he says.

Even in your tweets he's saying pretty clearly that even <45, VRR ensures there is no judder.

Last edited:

MrFunSocks

Banned
Well to be fair its noramlly less than a percentage away from 60 FPS avg. This is a game where VRR does help out quite a bit because of the very poor performance on XsX.
Good try but not quite.

The poor performance of the PS5 version combined with the Series X having VRR is what makes them prefer the Xbox version. If the PS5 version was 60fps average why would they choose the Xbox version as the best way to play?

Once again showing you’re not understanding what’s actually going on here. Neither console has a stable 60fps, but one has VRR which eliminates the problems caused by said unstable frame rate.

ethomaz

Banned
By quoting what he said in the video verbatim, which is more recent than those tweets.

The video's there for anyone to see and hear what he says.

Even in your tweets he's saying pretty clearly that even <45, VRR ensures there is no judder.
Man... just stop.
Don't replay to something you have no ideia what it is.

The guys asked if you notice the performance drop and not if it will be judder lol
Yes, you notice the performance drop.
The motion feel and response drops.

VRR doesn't make 45fps perform like 60fps.

Some guys created that myth and your are being fooled by it.

Last edited:

adamsapple

Man... just stop.
Don't replay to something you have no ideia what it is.

The guys asked if you notice the performance drop and not if it will be judder lol
Yes, you notice the performance drop.
The motion feel and response drops.

VRR doesn't make 45fps perform like 60fps.

Some guys created that myth and your are being fooled by it.

Don't think anyone said it does, as I've said before in pretty plain words, VRR removes the visual mismatch which makes things feel smoother than seeing a drop to 50hz on a 60hz display.

Even if VRR is not as smooth as a 100% locked 60 FPS, it's still the preferred way to play the next-gen version of the game as John said, it makes the Xbox version feel more smoother and responsive compared to the PS5 version.

Not sure this simple concept is so difficult.

ethomaz

Banned
Don't think anyone said it does, as I've said before in pretty plain words, VRR removes the visual mismatch which makes things feel smoother than seeing a drop to 50hz on a 60hz display.

Even if VRR is not as smooth as a 100% locked 60 FPS, it's still the preferred way to play the next-gen version of the game as John said, it makes the Xbox version feel more smoother and responsive compared to the PS5 version.

Not sure this simple concept is so difficult.
So why did you quote me to say "he not said that" when he said?

Last edited:

adamsapple

So why did you quote me to say "he not said that" when he said?

He said it's only noticeable when it's below 45, it's not always below 45, only for quick bursts. We're just debating semantics now. :messenger_sleeping:

I'll peace out.

Good try but not quite.

The poor performance of the PS5 version combined with the Series X having VRR is what makes them prefer the Xbox version. If the PS5 version was 60fps average why would they choose the Xbox version as the best way to play?

Once again showing you’re not understanding what’s actually going on here. Neither console has a stable 60fps, but one has VRR which eliminates the problems caused by said unstable frame rate.
Dude again stop sniffing your own farts and read what i wrote. My stance is that VRR made a more noticeable difference in this scenario than others to them enough for them to call it out. Your a modern day Don Quixote out here fighting windmills

MrFunSocks

Banned
20s vs 6.
“Few extra seconds.”
It's not 20 seconds vs 6 seconds every time.

Also the Series X has Quick Resume, so I guess you now have to factor in those saved seconds every single time you play the game! That will add up to HOURS over your whole playthrough, since we're now measuring things that ridiculous way lol.

Dude again stop sniffing your own farts and read what i wrote. My stance is that VRR made a more noticeable difference in this scenario than others to them enough for them to call it out. Your a modern day Don Quixote out here fighting windmills
Stop with the childish "sniffing your own farts" thing that you've just sprung out of nowhere multiple times. Explaining where you're going wrong, trying to help you learn and understand something you clearly don't currently understand, isn't "sniffing your own farts". Try being an adult and having an adult conversation.

Swift_Star

Banned

Also the Series X has Quick Resume, so I guess you now have to factor in those saved seconds every single time you play the game! That will add up to HOURS over your whole playthrough, since we're now measuring things that ridiculous way lol.

Stop with the childish "sniffing your own farts" thing that you've just sprung out of nowhere multiple times. Explaining where you're going wrong, trying to help you learn and understand something you clearly don't currently understand, isn't "sniffing your own farts". Try being an adult and having an adult conversation.
Yeah, the 20s load times will sure add up to hours!

My point is your so caught up in console wars and ready to defend your plastic box and shit on the competition that you didnt realize i was giving the XsX props here. The childish sniffing you own farts line was used to depiict how you are acting and was meant to relect the childish nature of you behavior.....

MrFunSocks

Banned
My point is your so caught up in console wars and ready to defend your plastic box and shit on the competition that you didnt realize i was giving the XsX props here. The childish sniffing you own farts line was used to depiict how you are acting and was meant to relect the childish nature of you behavior.....
Your point is based on rubbish then, because I'm not defending anything, just explaining why DF gave the conclusion that they did, and why it is the logical decision.

A game that pretty much never has a locked framerate at 60fps, being played on a locked 60hz monitor, will literally be stuttering almost all the time you're playing. That's how unstable framerates work on fixed refresh rate displays. That's inarguable fact.

Playing the same game on a different console, even if it performs a few fps lower on average while still in the mid-high 50s, but on a variable refresh rate monitor will literally eliminate that stutter. That is literally the point of variable refresh rates.

So we have some people arguing that saving ~6 seconds when you die but having stutter and constantly diminished input lag is preferable to having a completely smooth stutter-free experience with no hit to input lag, but with ~6 second longer load times when you die (but also reduced load times every time you turn the game on thanks to Quick Resume).

I, like Digital Foundry, completely disagree with those people. Framerate and gameplay experience is king, and after having experienced stutter-free gaming I will not play a game that doesn't have a near constant 60fps frame rate unless I'm playing it on a VRR capable system and display.

The only reason that the Xbox is their "best place to play the game" and not the PC version is because somehow the PC version is even worse than the PS5 and Xbox Series version. If it wasn't, I'd be in here having this same conversation with you but pointing out why the PC version is the best place to play it. It being Xbox has literally nothing to do with it.

Last edited:
Top Bottom