• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[DF] Elden Ring: PS5 vs Xbox Series X/S Tech Review - The Best Ways to Play on Next-Gen Consoles (Video)

BigLee74

Nothing can be done about pure hardware speed differences in these systems. If PS5 isn’t loading at least twice as fast, then devs aren’t leveraging it, end of story.
Interesting ‘matter-of-factness’ from yourself there. Prior to this game, I don’t think there was one cross platform game where the PS5 loaded twice as fast as the XSX. In fact, the XSX is often quicker. Feel free to prove me wrong?

But of course, this technical marvel of a game is the first one to do it properly on all systems? Behave yourselves you blind buggers 😂😂

Thirty7ven

Banned
How long until you realise that a sata SSD on PC can load just as fast as a PS5?

My pcie 3 m.2 load from one side of the world to the other in 6 seconds. Explain that if the XSX being slow is purely because it doesn't have cerny secret sauce drive?

Not talking about Elden Ring specifically, this game isn’t hitting marks in technical achievement on anything.

But why we gotta pretend that hard physical limits don’t matter when it comes to XSX I/O vs PS5?

Interesting ‘matter-of-factness’ from yourself there. Prior to this game, I don’t think there was one cross platform game where the PS5 loaded twice as fast as the XSX. In fact, the XSX is often quicker. Feel free to prove me wrong?

But of course, this technical marvel of a game is the first one to do it properly on all systems? Behave yourselves you blind buggers
😂
😂

Oh you think the I/O numbers are bs and devs straight up lying. This game isn’t optimized but every other game is, meanwhile I’m over here loading HFW in two seconds and Halo Infinite takes what?

Last edited:

leo-j

Pretty crazy considering the visual upgrades are pretty minimal from ps4 to ps5. It’s mostly some slightly better graphics in 4k.

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
Ok, I'm surprised at the PS5 results for FPS. We all knew about the Pro, but I didnt see this for the PS5 version.

Also....seems like VRR is a safety net for right now.

Last edited:

Mr Moose

Oh you PS5 owners still don't have VRR. Right.

Maybe when you guys get that the PS5 will be the definitive way to play. For now it's XSX. I wonder if DF will go back and look at games once/if VRR comes to PS5
*points camera at screen*
See, VRR in action!
No, why would they? Unless it is like Dying Light which apparently removes the 60fps cap it would be pointless.

Darsxx82

Not talking about Elden Ring specifically, this game isn’t hitting marks in technical achievement on anything.

But why we gotta pretend that hard physical limits don’t matter when it comes to XSX I/O vs PS5?

Oh you think the I/O numbers are bs and devs straight up lying. This game isn’t optimized but every other game is, meanwhile I’m over here loading HFW in two seconds and Halo Infinite takes what?
You can't compare different games. If you start to do it, then there are also games in XS that take between 1-6 seconds to load or instantaneous.

The reality is:

1. There is no cross-platform game that shows that difference. In fact it's even quite common to see NextGen optimized games load faster on XS.

2. You have to, on PC, SSDs slower than the XS SSD load as fast or faster than PS5.

3. And the most shocking. You have PS4 with HDD charging almost as fast as XS with SSD. Meanwhile, PS4 loads between 2-3x faster than XBO.

On Elden Ring, the reduction of load time in XS with respect to XBO is the common one that is achieved via BC. It is clear that something has gone wrong in the Xbox versions compared to the PS versions.

Of course, wanting to make believe that this difference in loading times on ER is the result solely of Cerny's "magic" is not wanting to see behind the trees.

Lysandros

'The hard physical limits' only matter when XSX is ahead by a very precise 18% in one of them. That's a well known law.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?

Funny enough, the other 2 recent big multi platform games, i-e Dying Light 2 and Cyberpunk 2077 PS5/SX patch .

They're both open world games, they both look and perform a lot better than Elden Ring and they either load identically or faster on SX compared to PS5.

Do you think that's because the developers didn't utilize PS5 properly, or did utilize Series better compared to From ?

Last edited:

BigLee74

Ooof. We are now comparing different games?

Don’t project. I don’t think what you think I’m thinking 😉I’m merely stating that I SERIOUSLY doubt the loading time differences in this game are down to the double speed of the PS5 SSD like a few of you are claiming.

FrankWza

Sure, but that’s besides the point. He actually believes the decompressor unit on Xbox has just been sitting idle all this time. Knows nothing about console development at all.
Haha. Well, he’s waiting for it to come out on xbox this year to prove his theory
so that’s going to be a little bit of a problem too.

Haggard

Banned
So the best console version is the PS4 version running in BC mode on ps5.
What a joke from software's tech department is.....

Last edited:

Mister Wolf

Haha. Well, he’s waiting for it to come out on xbox this year to prove his theory
so that’s going to be a little bit of a problem too.

On Xbox I'm expecting Starfield to use it. All it takes to compare Direct Storage on PC to Xbox in Forspoken's case is a similar CPU and GPU which won't be difficult to see benchmarks of. Same exact DirectX 12 Ultimate API.

Last edited:

Thirty7ven

Banned
Funny enough, the other 2 recent big multi platform games, i-e Dying Light 2 and Cyberpunk 2077 PS5/SX patch .

They're both open world games, they both look and perform a lot better than Elden Ring and they either load identically or faster on SX compared to PS5.

Do you think that's because the developers didn't utilize PS5 properly, or did utilize Series better compared to From ?

Any game that doesn’t load at least twice as fast on PS5 isn’t properly optimized. This is just a fact.

Dr Bass

How long until you realise that a sata SSD on PC can load just as fast as a PS5?

My pcie 3 m.2 load from one side of the world to the other in 6 seconds. Explain how XSX being slow is purely because it doesn't have cerny secret sauce drive?
Why is this still a discussion. Holy crap.

It has nothing to do with the drive. It has to do with the hardware based kraken decompression. Executing operations in hardware vs in software on a general purpose CPU is always superior, and Sony put together this custom solution that allows them to load from the SSD directly into memory in a game ready state (i.e. apparently doesn't even need to be initialized).

Your PC can't do that and never will (unless of course PCs start coming with dedicated hardware decompression units, not just APIs to use GPUs for that purpose). DirectStorage also isn't quite the same thing and also doesn't seem to be as good.

I understand this is a general forum and most people aren't going to understand the difference between doing something in hardware vs. software, but no, this is the one area PS5 actually has a pretty interesting leg up on the competition and it would take an equally custom solution to get to parity.

So, the vast majority of multi platform games so far then ?
Yeah maybe. I haven't played them all for sure. Have you played any exclusive PS5 software and seen what they do? Basically instantaneous loading of huge environments? Demon's Souls? Ratchet? Horizon? It surely takes a bit of work to leverage that hardware and it's certainly not going to be a cross device feature. So if you're loading from the SSD and deserializing via the CPU I doubt many third parties are going to give a rats ass to change that.

Again, people here (in general, not everyone) don't have the slightest clue about this stuff. Just enjoy the games and stop trying to find gotchas.

Thirty7ven

Banned
So, the vast majority of multi platform games so far then ?

It is what it is.
Elden Ring isn’t optimized either.

But if you’re still in denial over the I/O differences when we can compare first party games instead of some of these multi plats…

You wanna talk Cyberpunk, it performs better on Ps5. Wanna talk Elden Ring it performs better on PS5? PS5 more powerful? Don’t be silly

Last edited:

Thirty7ven

Banned
Then doesn't that mean it's faster load times, among other things, aren't worth taking at face value ?

I’m not. Was responding to the idea that direct storage being added to dx12 was going to bring XSX I/o to PS5 levels. Resident Evil 8 had fast loadings on all systems, it’s a better comparison there. But first party is what shows the capabilities.

Elden Ring is a mess. XSX should be cruising here, this game is doing nothing special tech wise.

Last edited:

Dr Bass

So almost every other game is not optimized but this game that runs crap on all consoles, but just happens to load 2~3x faster on PS5 is ?

uh-yeah.gif
There is a big difference between optimizing I/O and optimizing graphics performance. It's not the same thing.

If everything were optimized to the hilt I would expect PS5 to go from startup to playing a game in 2 seconds or so (maybe less), like their first party games, and similar games that take advantage of it's hardware..

Then I would expect XSX to have better visuals with a slightly higher resolution and same framerate, or equal resolution and slightly higher framerate. But either way the XSX has a better GPU so should perform better, not worse.

But that's obviously not the case, and we don't know to what degree things are "optimized." That word also doesn't imply 100% perfect utilization of hardware or most efficient setup. That's the thing. Code is hard, and code is complex. You simply do not understand the magnitude of what these developers are doing, and such simple notions as "it's optimized" have almost no meaning because of that fact. There could be choices in the code that bar the game from running up to a certain standard, and they might not have the time or inclination to rework those areas because it's just not important to them. There is such a thing as "business needs" which often revolve around timelines, getting a product out the door so they can take in revenue and pay salaries etc. It's pretty obvious that frame timing just doesn't fall under those particular needs for them.

The point is we don't know how much this game actually utilizes these consoles because we aren't inside the company. Clearly we can make some guesses and observations based on the performance of this game relative to it's competition, but this idea that you can "optimize" a game and everything runs fast everywhere is beyond ridiculous.

This is actually giving me an idea. I might put together some graphics programming demos and post the source and maybe some video explanations as to how it works. We'll see. Time is very limited (as you can clearly see by all the posting I do here :rolleyes:).

Last edited:

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
There is a big difference between optimizing I/O and optimizing graphics performance. It's not the same thing.

If everything were optimized to the hilt I would expect PS5 to go from startup to playing a game in 2 seconds or so (maybe less), like their first party games, and similar games that take advantage of it's hardware..

Then I would expect XSX to have better visuals with a slightly higher resolution and same framerate, or equal resolution and slightly higher framerate. But either way the XSX has a better GPU so should perform better, not worse.

But that's obviously not the case, and we don't know to what degree things are "optimized." That word also doesn't imply 100% perfect utilization of hardware or most efficient setup. That's the thing. Code is hard, and code is complex. You simply do not understand the magnitude of what these developers are doing, and such simple notions as "it's optimized" have almost no meaning because of that fact. There could be choices in the code that bar the game from running up to a certain standard, and they might not have the time or inclination to rework those areas because it's just not important to them. There is such a thing as "business needs" which often revolve around timelines, getting a product out the door so they can take in revenue and pay salaries etc. It's pretty obvious that frame timing just doesn't fall under those particular needs for them.

The point is we don't know how much this game actually utilizes these consoles because we aren't inside the company. Clearly we can make some guesses and observations based on the performance of this game relative to it's competition, but this idea that you can "optimize" a game and everything runs fast everywhere is beyond ridiculous.

This is actually giving me an idea. I might put together some graphics programming demos and post the source and maybe some video explanations as to how it works. We'll see. Time is very limited (as you can clearly see by all the posting I do here :rolleyes:).

No, you're right, we don't know how much this game utilizes either console and/or how much time From spent with dedicated development and optimization per SKU.

But based on some things we *can* make reasonable assumptions and I think it's safe to assume they did primary development on the PS(5).

The performance is pretty atrocious across the board for a cross-gen game and there aren't any tangible upgrades in the current gen version that can justify it (like RT and whatnot). Hell, the performance metrics have dropped lower in the final retail version compared to the beta network test. That shouldn't happen.

Also, you don't see an Xbox One X game take 41 second to load something the PS4 loads in 16~17 seconds.

Shmunter

So they made the patched release look worse than the network test by lowering shadow LOD on foliage. Much less depth in the vistas now. Looks like Dying Light 2 on Xbox.

And ironically lost frames to something along the way. *Slow clap*

Last edited:
VRR should be coming to PS5 this month. Their tvs just got it this morning. Shocking how it's taken Sony so long to get such a basic feature implemented. This is supposed to be a billion dollar tech giant. Not some mom and pop shop start up.

This month? I thought it would be way later than that.

skneogaf

I hope FROM SOFTWARE breaks the norm and patches all available versions.

Stable frame rate on consoles and no stuttering and crash to desktop that I get every now and then.

Tchu-Espresso

likes mayo on everthing and can't dance
Oh many of them already do, that poll topic was enlightening. They just can't utilize it at the moment.

Once they actually start making use of it, expect the general VRR responses become a lot more positive.
It would be nice if people just shut the fuck up about it, especially those who hold VRR as the end-all be-all saviour of poor performance.

teezzy

Banned
Was the game primarily optimized with ps5 in mind or something? I'm a PC guy returning to consoles this gen via my Series X... and I know that's the stringer hardware on paper... so why more fps dips?

What even is reality

Last edited:

Zeroing

Banned
Was the game primarily optimized with ps5 in mind or something? I'm a PC guy returning to consoles this gen via my Series X... and I know that's the stringer hardware on paper... so why more fps dips?

What even is reality
One console manufacturer ended spending an entire generation asking devs what they want/need for next generation and implement it.

The other just made a e3 video PR that said more power!!!

The dragon fights is where the frame rate really tanks on series x ,it's still playable near to 30ish on framerate mode but u definitely notice it

Top Bottom