• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[DF] Elden Ring: PS5 vs Xbox Series X/S Tech Review - The Best Ways to Play on Next-Gen Consoles (Video)

Nankatsu

Gold Member
Realistically speaking, will the game ever get patched in a way that we will get 60 fps on next-gen consoles?

If so, I may hold my play, otherwise I might just play it as it is.

Skifi28

Realistically speaking, will the game ever get patched in a way that we will get 60 fps on next-gen consoles?
ltGZiQA.gif

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
As a side note, I have a hard time understanding how a game looking so average (despite the great art direction) and running so poorly can get 97 on metacritic.

I love the gameplay and the world, but we should all ask for quality visuals and framerate. What incentive do they have to do better now? Their engine is unacceptable in 2022. Coming from next gen games it's really rough.

A garbage game with good graphics is still a garbage game.
A good game with simple graphics is still a great game.

Elden Ring is a good game so its graphics barely matter.

azertydu91

Hard to Kill
A garbage game with good graphics is still a garbage game.
A good game with simple graphics is still a great game.

Elden Ring is a good game so its graphics barely matter.
I totally agree there but he was talking about performance not graphics (even though I'd say its technical flaws are compensated by artstyle).
And I would agree Rivet Rivet there because performances are about the only objective metric to test a game (stable framerate framepacing input lag etc...)

DavidGzz

PS4 Pro version running with BC on PS5 is the best version. Perfect locked 60 fps is a must on this game. It's a blast to play. Graphically it's extremely close to next gen version, I compared to PS5 version. It's not like it's a looker in any way. VRR doesn't magically add missing frames.

And nice obfuscation from DF again with PS5 having the best resolution (on top of best performance and best loading times by far) conveniently brushed off under the rug.

Because the loading isn't that big of a deal, 10-20 seconds per death isn't that serious, unless you're dying every minute lol, and you would agree if it were the other way around. For me, it's much closer to 10 than 20 and I am not constantly dying where it kills me to wait. No more than in Bloodborne which took MUCH longer. What are these missing frames when using VRR and how can I detect them? Oh yeah, I can't. You guys won't be talking about missing frames with VRR soon enough lol

Arioco

And PS5 can load in 5s or less.
The avg. people are using is taking the DF test that had loading close to 10s that was the worst scenario.

Your driver is 3.5GB/s… not half of the PS5.

Anyway I found very disappointing the load times in Elder Ring… that average is too high… I’m used to play PS5 games with lower loads.

Horizon FW was a disappointment in that regards too.

Have you had the chance to play Horizon a little bit?

I started the game expecting annoyingly long loading times and it turned out to load pretty damn fast. I would say between 2 to 4 seconds. Maybe it's not Spider-man (which is basically like going back to the old cartridges, literally instantaneous) but it's close. I haven't finished the game yet so there's a chance loading times are longer when I can fast-travel a longer distance, but so far so good. 👌

Last edited:

Banned
They do but, and I'm just guessing here, if someone is using a SATA SDD I don't think they have a CPU that much better than a 8 core Zen 2.
And if they do, I don't think it's way faster. I saw reports of sub 10 second load times, that's a big difference.

If it was last gen CPU with Jaguar cores I could understand, but I don't think the delta of the average PC is that big over the Zen 2 cores on the new consoles.

you have to keep in mind that the CPUs inside the consoles are more on the level of a Zen+ CPU or a low power Laptop grade Zen 2, not comparable to a full desktop Zen 2

and the game loads some scenes below 10 seconds on xbox too, it's just that in some parts it can take closer to 17sec. so it's hard to compare these without 1 for 1 examples.

and what's also most likely happening is that they only use a single core for this. and single core performance will be a lot higher on a Dektop Zen 2 I'd imagine, that can temporarily boost its clocks above 3.8ghz while the Xbox is locked at 3.6ghz no matter what it does.

the decompression block inside the system on the other hand is designed to replace the equivalent of 3 CPU threads.

Last edited:

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Do you Know what is the most shocking?.

All oldgen consoles load in less than 1 minute and PS4 with a HDD loads almost as fast as XSeries using SSD. While the XBO versions can take 2-3x longer than their PS counterparts (Ps4 and PRo).

84786_323_elden-ring-ps5-and-xbox-series-load-times-shows-surprising-results.png

(and if we compare with the DF analysis, the margin is still greater)

That on PC by brute force a simple sata SSD slower than the XS loads the same or faster than on PS5 and then you only have one explanation left. From, hasn't put much love into the Xbox versions.
Oodle Texture used only in the PS ports? Free for all PS developers.

Last edited:

SomeGit

you have to keep in mind that the CPUs inside the consoles are more on the level of a Zen+ CPU or a low power Laptop grade Zen 2, not comparable to a full desktop Zen 2

and the game loads some scenes below 10 seconds on xbox too, it's just that in some parts it can take closer to 17sec. so it's hard to compare these without 1 for 1 examples.

and what's also most likely happening is that they only use a single core for this. and single core performance will be a lot higher on a Dektop Zen 2 I'd imagine, that can temporarily boost its clocks above 3.8ghz while the Xbox is locked at 3.6ghz no matter what it does.

the decompression block inside the system on the other hand is designed to replace the equivalent of 3 CPU threads.

Yeah, but it's not hard to find sub 10 second load times on even Haswell cores, which fall below ST even compared to Zen+ (the closest to 3.8Ghz boost would be something like the Ryzen 5 2600). Like this one:

While it's rare to find examples of sub 10 second load times on XSX or XSS. There has to be more to the wild difference than just I/O or CPU performance, contrasting with the PC version, the Series loads times in general just don't make sense.

Last edited:

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
As sensitive as I am to OLED stutter, I’m surprisingly pleased at how Series X Performance mode runs on my LG C9.

The difference in loading times is absolutely moronic though, and I don’t think there’s a valid explanation for that besides From Software not giving a fuck to get the best out of the baka gaijin’s console. At times it feels like I’m back to PS3 loading times.

Banned
Yeah, but it's not hard to find sub 10 second load times on even Haswell cores, which fall below ST even compared to Zen+. Like this one:

While it's rare to find examples of sub 10 second load times on XSX or XSS. There has to be more to the wild difference than just I/O or CPU performance, contrasting with the PC version, the Series loads times in general just don't make sense.

tbh nothing tech wise with this game makes much sense lol.
who knows what they're doing to have such slow load times on Xbox.

how big is the game install on PC? maybe they compressed it way harder on console?

edit: google tells me it's 60GB on PC and 45GB on Xbox but who knows if that's accurate. if it is, well there's one explanation. not using the decompression hardware + compressing the game more = slow loading.

there was recently a case like this on PS5, where they clearly didn't use the decompression block and still had the game compressed more on PS5 than on Xbox, resulting in sometimes 100% or 50% longer load times on PS5 compared to Series X (can't remember what game it was... but it was a recent one)

Last edited:

azertydu91

Hard to Kill
Have you had the chance to play Horizon a little bit?

I started the game expecting annoyingly long loading times and it turned out to load pretty damn fast. I would say between 2 to 4 seconds. Maybe it's not Spider-man (which is basically like going back to the old cartridges, literally instantaneous) but it's close. I haven't finished the game yet so there's a change loading times are longer when I can fast-travel a longer distance, but so far so good. 👌
I don't think loading times are dependent of the distance traveled but ore about spawning point complexity and probably difference of biome.I can fast travel almost anywhere on the map and loading times seems consistent except when I just booted the console from rest mode and fast travel right away.But they are still less than 10 sec (I can't tell how much longer they are though.

Orbital2060

I hope someone - From or Team Xbox - can do something about the loading times on XSX since thats pretty bad. They are a few seconds too long for comfort.

Other than that I think its fine, it being a From game. Didnt really expect more.

azertydu91

Hard to Kill
I hope someone - From or Team Xbox - can do something about the loading times on XSX since thats pretty bad. They are a few seconds too long for comfort.

Other than that I think its fine, it being a From game. Didnt really expect more.
Yep I don't think From knew how to use the Xbox velocity architecture because there is simply no reason it takes so long to load on Xbox.

SkylineRKR

The way I see the load times is that both architectures aren't optimized. And then it makes sense that the PS5 is (more than) twice as fast. Because if you compare this only to other PS5 games, Elden Ring has pretty long load times here as well.

Lysandros

Then I would expect XSX to have better visuals with a slightly higher resolution and same framerate, or equal resolution and slightly higher framerate. But either way the XSX has a better GPU so should perform better, not worse.
That's certainly an opinion. I personally disagree but it's a debatable area of course.

Haggard

Banned
No one, no one called this game as they did with Halo Infinite 8 min demo. That demo looked and runs better than this.
You make no sense at all. Comparing a supposed to be first party (then)next gen showpiece FPS title to a last gen From game is pretty much ridiculous.
No one expected From to deliver a technical milestone in the first place, this is just worse than usual.

Last edited:

Lysandros

It seems to me that this goes both ways. I mean.....we can talk about that "true next gen feature set" but when we look at the game performance differences it hasn't been nearly what many thought it would be. Largely, we are seeing marginal differences where PS5 has advantage in frame rate while XSX has advantage in resolution. So was the extra 2 teraflops just "overkill" for just a few more pixels? Nah, I don't think so. But one could make the same argument for PS5 SSD not living up to expectations as well. For most games, the difference is a few seconds loading if anything at all. Not exactly mindblowing stuff. So MS and Sony both tried to emphasize certain aspects of their console designs.
What's "true next-gen feature set" exactly? Well certainly not the cache scrubbers, spu like Tempest engine, hardware heavy custom I/O complex etc, because one particular machine doesn't have them right?.. ;) I think the main problem still is the unconditional love story with Microsoft's mostly retracted PR and almost fetishistic worship of one particular GPU metric at expense of everything else. The road until the end of the generation will be very though for the 'believers', full of conspiracies and in the end copium.

Last edited:
What's "true next-gen feature set" exactly? Well certainly not the cache scrubbers, spu like Tempest engine, hardware heavy custom I/O complex etc, because one particular machine doesn't have them right?.. ;) I think the main problem still is the unconditional love story with Microsoft's mostly retracted PR and almost fetishistic worship of one particular GPU metric at expense of everything else. The road until the end of the generation will be very though for the 'believers', full of conspiracies and in the end copium.

You know like some say we just have to wait.

Golden Girls Rose GIF by TV Land

Before people come to any conclusions.

PS4 Pro version running with BC on PS5 is the best version. Perfect locked 60 fps is a must on this game. It's a blast to play. Graphically it's extremely close to next gen version, I compared to PS5 version. It's not like it's a looker in any way. VRR doesn't magically add missing frames.

And nice obfuscation from DF again with PS5 having the best resolution (on top of best performance and best loading times by far) conveniently brushed off under the rug.
The PS5 advantage is too much for them.

- Biggest game of the year
- Higher framerate on PS5
- Higher resolution on PS5
- 3 time faster loading times on PS5

So first they delayed the release of their article (which doesn't add much compared to the network test) and "forgot" the resolution part. The whole article is really fin actually like they don't talk about the pop-in seen in all versions. You'll notice they don't forget to talk about resolution when XSX has the higher resolution (like recently in Dying light 2 or in all games where XSX has the edge).

waquzy

100% agreed

RoboFu

One of the green rats
The load times bother me the most as it doesn’t make sense. There’s no reason for it to be up to 3 - 4 times longer than ps5 or PC with a decent nvme .

Zathalus

The load times bother me the most as it doesn’t make sense. There’s no reason for it to be up to 3 - 4 times longer than ps5 or PC with a decent nvme .
I can think of one reason, From not really giving a shit about the Xbox version. It basically feels like they made sure it runs and that is about all the work that went into it.

RoboFu

One of the green rats
I can think of one reason, From not really giving a shit about the Xbox version. It basically feels like they made sure it runs and that is about all the work that went into it.
Well of course everyone should always realize not every game gets the same attention across all its ports. It’s not just about hardware specs.

Last edited:

Banned
The PS5 advantage is too much for them.

- Biggest game of the year
- Higher framerate on PS5
- Higher resolution on PS5
- 3 time faster loading times on PS5

So first they delayed the release of their article (which doesn't add much compared to the network test) and "forgot" the resolution part. The whole article is really fin actually like they don't talk about the pop-in seen in all versions. You'll notice they don't forget to talk about resolution when XSX has the higher resolution (like recently in Dying light 2 or in all games where XSX has the edge).

I still think people like you who want to make this into a conspiracy should be banned tbh

somesang

Can y’all stop bickering for a minute and see how the game is running post patch? My eyes are telling me 60 mostly now with frame skips here and there.

Leyasu Leyasu I'm on an LG C1 - not sure what fluctuations you mean, but I am still getting frame skips here and there, but it is markedly a better and smoother experience than pre-patch.

App Ver. 1.02
Regulation Ver. 1.02.1

Major items included in the latest update:
  • Improved player controls
  • Addition and adjustment of BGM
  • Text adjustments
  • Balance adjustments
  • NPC event fixes and adjustments
  • Fixed frame rate drops under certain conditions
  • Fixed text bug in some languages
  • Fixed a bug that prevented the Xbox wireless headset from working properly

* Timing for the implementation of ray tracing, which is planned to be supported after the launch, will be revealed in future announcements.

If you have purchased a digital version of the game, please apply the patch after downloading the full game.

Update procedure on PlayStation 4
Select ELDEN RING on the home screen or in your Library, press the OPTIONS button, and then select [Check for Updates].

If there is an update, follow the instructions to install the update.

Update procedure on PlayStation 5
On the home screen, select ELDEN RING, press the OPTIONS button, and then select [Check for Updates].

If an update is available, follow the instructions to install the update.

Update procedure on Xbox Series X|S, Xbox One
Select ELDEN RING from the Home screen or My Collection > Games, then press the Menu button and select Manage Games and Add-ons.

Select [Update] when the game management screen opens.

If an update is available, follow the instructions to install the update.

This patch is also available in the Digital Art Book & Soundtrack included in the Digital Deluxe Edition. We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause, but please apply the update file to this as well before starting the game.

We are also pleased to report that the online issues Xbox users have been facing (e.g. "Network Status Check Failed") should now be fixed.

Thank you for your cooperation.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Can y’all stop bickering for a minute and see how the game is running post patch? My eyes are telling me 60 mostly now with frame skips here and there.

Isn't version 1.02 the one DF did their review on ?

Amaranty

Does anyone know why John changed his mind regarding changing from 120 hz to 60 Hz output?

Last edited:
You make no sense at all. Comparing a supposed to be first party (then)next gen showpiece FPS title to a last gen From game is pretty much ridiculous.
No one expected From to deliver a technical milestone in the first place, this is just worse than usual.
Who said it was meant to be a next gen showcase?.
The game was always down a cross-gen title, yet it was savaged. This game whoever got next to no calls when it was 1st show off and the final game features really bad let gen graphics... Rubbish performance, no interaction with the grass and distance tree's that look so bad and basic, its like they belong in a PS2 game

Mr Moose

Isn't version 1.02 the one DF did their review on ?
I think that's the day one patch, but there was a patch after that too (1.02.1).
Mine says it was updated to that version on the 27th.
There's also a new patch right now I just noticed turning on my PS5 (1.02.2).

Haggard

Banned
Who said it was meant to be a next gen showcase?.
If you push a title with shiny marketing material, and giant development budgets people expect something...who`d have thought.
The game was always down a cross-gen title, yet it was savaged. This game whoever got next to no calls when it was 1st show off and the final game features really bad let gen graphics... Rubbish performance, no interaction with the grass and distance tree's that look so bad and basic, its like they belong in a PS2 game
no one expected anything else from From and you still have nothing better to do than to make this about Infinite....
Talk about being butthurt.

Last edited:

ethomaz

Banned
Lol Never thought I would see a bug where the graphics card wasnt being used. What was it using? The integrated graphics chip on the CPU lol.
Happens more than you believe.
A lot of Apps (include games) in PC have weird issues that uses the iGPU instead the dGPU.

Some usual fixes include uninstalling drivers and app and install everything again.

Things are smooth when you have a single GPU on Windows.

Last edited:
Top Bottom