• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DF: F1 2022 - Digital Foundry Tech Review - PS5 vs PC vs Xbox Series X/ Xbox Series S

Arioco

- Dynamic 4K on PS5 and Series X and dynamic 1080p on Series S. There's a moment where Series X and S show RT reflections whereas on PC (maxed out) and PS5 the reflections seem to be SSR, so it looks like a bug for selected platforms. With that exception, RT seems to work in the same way on Series S/X and PS5. As for other settings, PS5 has a glitch that, adds a multicolor artifact under cars, and that's all, the rest of the settings seem identical.

- Performance is perfect 60 fps on Series X/S and PS5 even at peak stress points.

- PS5 and Series X have a performance mode (120 fps). PS5 is rock solid 120 fps typically v-synced even in the more demanding scenes. Series X seems to have more issues in keeping v-sinc, while still holding to 120 fps near constantly there's regular signs of screen tearing.

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member

Dammit....
finishline GIF

Last edited:

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Summary:

- Bulk of feature set remains same between F1 2021 and F1 2022
- Native 4K on PS5/SX and 1080p on Series S
- RT reflections only available outside of racing in 30 FPS sections.

- Some reflections inside cockpit show real RT on Series X but SSR on PS5
- Series S also uses real ray tracing.
- PC version also shows SSR technique like PS5, not real RT.
- This might be a bug or oversight as per DF.

- Elsewhere, PS5 has an "unusual glitch" on reflections which DF thinks is a bug.
- Series S has identical or very close settings to Series X but running at lower resolution and RT reflections run at lower quality

- Ray tracing transparencies are new this year and included on consoles as well as PC.
- VR support added to PC version, not added to console so far.
- DLSS support present and FSR 2.0 support planned for future.

- All consoles perform admirably. Both perfectly lock out at 60 FPS on all weather and number of car conditions.
- On the 120hz both PS5 and SX maintain solid frame rate but Xbox shows signs of screen tearing, but it's more of a nitpick as it's hard to catch.
- Series S does not include 120hz mode.

- No campaign mode in F1 2022 ala the Breaking Point campaign in F1 2021.

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
Summary:

- Bulk of feature set remains same between F1 2021 and F1 2022
- Native 4K on PS5/SX and 1080p on Series S
- RT reflections only available outside of racing in 30 FPS sections.

- Some reflections inside cockpit show real RT on Series X but SSR on PS5
- Series S also uses real ray tracing.
- PC version also shows SSR technique like PS5, not real RT.
- This might be a bug or oversight as per DF.

- Elsewhere, PS5 has an "unusual glitch" on reflections which DF thinks is a bug.
- Series S has identical or very close settings to Series X but running at lower resolution and RT reflections run at lower quality

- Ray tracing transparencies are new this year and included on consoles as well as PC.
- VR support added to PC version, not added to console so far.
- DLSS support present and FSR 2.0 support planned for future.

- All consoles perform admirably. Both perfectly lock out at 60 FPS on all weather and number of car conditions.
- On the 120hz both PS5 and SX maintain solid frame rate but Xbox shows signs of screen tearing, but it's more of a nitpick as it's hard to catch.
- Series S does not include 120hz mode.

- No campaign mode in F1 2022 ala the Breaking Point campaign in F1 2021.

Nice summary. Some minor issues with both PS and Xbox versions, but overall pretty much the same it seems.

They made a nice game ps fanboys have beat me over my head for years that GT is better and you shouldn’t care about any other racer. Forza got better, F1 got better.
Jesus man, let it go, how long have you been suffering because of GT? Since the PS1 days?

Just don't buy GT if you don't like it, clearly plenty of people appreciate the series.

Last edited:

Arioco

No RT in game even on PC? Freaking parity. RTX cards may cry.

Yup. On consoles Tom says it's the right call, since the game is very demanding even on PC, but maybe on RTX cards with DLSS in game RT reflections would've been a nice bonus.

Darsxx82

F1 22 shows better performance than F1 21. Especially on XSeries consoles where not very optimized versions were released last year. And that performance improvement comes even as it shows graphical and RT improvements.

Great versions on all platforms (XSS lately is being blessed with great optimized versions).... but the feeling remains that EGO is already outdated. Hopefully a new proper NextGen engine for F1, but I'm afraid it's not going to be like that.

hlm666

Yup. On consoles Tom says it's the right call, since the game is very demanding even on PC, but maybe on RTX cards with DLSS in game RT reflections would've been a nice bonus.
~ 7:30 Tom clearly says the PC version has RT during gameplay and shows it with the side by side cap in monaco.

Sosokrates

Report me if I continue to console war
Pretty much the same then.
Hopefully for those concerned the RT reflections are implemented on PC +PS5.

It would have been helpful if he gave resolution counts on the 120fps mode, it may show why the xsx is tearing.

DaGwaphics

Pretty much the same then.
Hopefully for those concerned the RT reflections are implemented on PC +PS5.

It would have been helpful if he gave resolution counts on the 120fps mode, it may show why the xsx is tearing.

Probably just a difference in Vsync settings, Xbox shows a strong preference for adaptive sync and always has (better for future hardware I assume), Sony typically prefers a traditional Vsync.

hlm666

Wait. What about Dualsense usage? And no campaign??
Saw a video yesterday of the PC version with the guy using a dual sense on PC and saying it had adaptive trigger support and was configurable (I guess he ment the strength of it) so I would assume the PS5 would have to have it aswell.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
So strange that the series X is delivering 120fps but its tearing. That makes no sense. I can only imagine it's delivering higher than 120fps but v sync isn't engaged properly. Just needs a patch like the ps5s graphical issues.

adamsapple

So strange that the series X is delivering 120fps but its tearing. That makes no sense. I can only imagine it's delivering higher than 120fps but v sync isn't engaged properly. Just needs a patch like the ps5s graphical issues.

It's mostly a non issue anyway, even DF mentioned it like this, likely not a proper soft lock that's making frame rate higher than 120hz as there's no drops.

but honestly, you'd be very hard-pressed to catch it in full motion at 120fps anyway. The refresh is too fast, and the artefact is too subtle. It's more of a nitpick really, and the frame-rate is practically locked to 120fps. VRR should, of course, clear this up.

Last edited:

Riky

$MSFT
Looks like it's nearly impossible to see during gameplay and VRR would solve it regardless, the framerate is still solid. Stranger that Series S gets the full RT cockpit reflections.

DaGwaphics

You can get tearing at 30/60/120 average too, if there is an ever so slight variance in frame time (up or down). MS must encourage devs to avoid a buffered vsync (that can disguise this), we see that time and time again. But, Xbox typically does better with controller latency as a result, so there is a benefit.

Seems very rare here anyway.

adamsapple

Or it's a bug, like the missing RT reflections on PS5? Considering it never drops to even 119fps.

The list of games performing better on PS5 has been rather slim recently anyways. I believe there was Elden Ring and that's about it.

Even ER has been equalized on both with updates for the most part.

Likely the missing RT reflections on PS5 may get patched later as well.

Or it's a bug, like the missing RT reflections on PS5? Considering it never drops to even 119fps.

The list of games performing better on PS5 has been rather slim recently anyways. I believe there was Elden Ring and that's about it.
Was there even any relevant third party game this year besides Elden Ring? If a list of games performing better on PS5 even exists it's already a big win for Mark Cerny.

Last edited:

SLB1904

Banned
Disappointed the way this game looks. 21 was a nice improvement but 22 looks the same and that ugly plastic look. I don't know how hard is for racing games to look like GT7. The character models look straight up last gen.

Top Bottom