• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DF: FIFA 18 Switch vs Xbox 360/ PS4

Fezan

DF link

-Looks like custom setup with last gen foundation
- not a straight port from last gen.
- all modes available with ultimate team
-game feels different much faster than current gen port
- better than last gen worse than current gen graphics wise
- 1080p wihtout aa in docked mode 720p undocked with solid 60fps

TheMoon

DF link

-Looks like custom setup with last gen foundation
- not a straight port from last gen.
- all modes available with ultimate team

-game feels different much faster than current gen port
- better than last gen worse than current gen graphics wise
- 1080p wihtout aa in docked mode 720p undocked with solid 60fps

bolded is literally stuff we've known for months/they've said this whole time though^^

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
A bit disappointed with the video. I was expecting a comparison with the last current-gen Ignite title: PS4 FIFA16
?

It's not. I found it to be mediocre and I regret my purchase.

What were your expectations? You surely knew the lack of parity this version had compared to the PS4/Xbox One versions since you are a daily user here and the objective merits we have here point towards them doing as much as they could in the time allotted to them within the limitations of the hardware.

Ah, shame.
What brings it down?
Performance and feature-wise it at least sounds good.

No online with friends, it just looks bare bones, like the menu looks not like the menu on other FIFA 18 version. There is no store to buy coin boosters, classic kits etc. And I don't think it play better. It looks way uglier than other versions.

I agree with Gamespot's 5/10 review.
https://www.gamespot.com/reviews/fifa-18-nintendo-switch-review/1900-6416782/

What were your expectations? You surely knew the lack of parity this version had compared to the PS4/Xbox One versions since you are a daily user here and the objective merits we have here point towards them doing as much as they could in the time allotted to them within the limitations of the hardware.

Nah, feels like they could have done more, maybe they weren't allowed. Will not buy another FIFA on the Switch, that's for sure though. Hardware limitations was accepted in the graphics department and the Journey mode, but no excuse for other stuff that was left out.

No online with friends, it just looks bare bones, like the menu looks not like the menu on other FIFA 18 version. There is no store to buy coin boosters, classic kits etc. And I don't think it play better. It looks way uglier than other versions.

I agree with Gamespot's 5/10 review.
https://www.gamespot.com/reviews/fifa-18-nintendo-switch-review/1900-6416782/

Nah, feels like they could have done more, maybe they weren't allowed. Will not buy another FIFA on the Switch, that's for sure though.

Fair enough! Were there not so many other games ATM I'd have probably picked this version of the game up, it looks more than satisfactory for what I'd want having grown tired of home console FIFA yearly iterations. Hopefully next year's version will be even better and there'll be less games all over the place, though I probably won't be playing you on it then.

Zedark

As expected. The biggest gripe for me is that the AI is just bad, as Dave mentions in a round-about fashion. It happens to me just about every other match that an opponent's defender will just stay stationary with the ball 5 meters from his goal and wait for me to pick the ball off his feet. Such errors really are annoying when you get free attempts like that. And more generally, the AI often makes incomprehensible decisions (like you can see in the footage here: five meters away from goals, they turn sidwways and give a heel pass to another player instead of just shooting on goal). It really feels sub-par.

Beyond that, there's the ridiculous omission of online with friends
(Yes,
Nintendo should fix their online to better accommodate this from the get-go, but indies manage to work it in, so EA has no excuse)
, which adds up with the above to create just a mediocre package imo. Shame, FIFA on the go could have been ground-breaking (at least for me), but in its current state I would rather have gone with the PS4 version (actually, I would have rather not bought any FIFA version at all, and I wouldn't have if it wasn't portable on the Switch).

efyu_lemonardo

May I have a cookie?
Most obvious thing that struck me in that video is that the Switch version is too dark.

Makes it more difficult to see what's going on.

Kyoufu

DF are kinda misleading here. It's not just missing The Journey mode but also Squad Battle mode for FUT and Pro Clubs mode for online. Oh and you can't play friends online which is all kinds of WTF.

As expected. The biggest gripe for me is that the AI is just bad, as Dave mentions in a round-about fashion. It happens to me just about every other match that an opponent's defender will just stay stationary with the ball 5 meters from his goal and wait for me to pick the ball off his feet. Such errors really are annoying when you get free attempts like that. And more generally, the AI often makes incomprehensible decisions (like you can see in the footage here: five meters away from goals, they turn sidwways and give a heel pass to another player instead of just shooting on goal). It really feels sub-par.

Beyond that, there's the ridiculous omission of online with friends
(Yes,
Nintendo should fix their online to better accommodate this from the get-go, but indies manage to work it in, so EA has no excuse)
, which adds up with the above to create just a mediocre package imo. Shame, FIFA on the go could have been ground-breaking (at least for me), but in its current state I would rather have gone with the PS4 version (actually, I would have rather not bought any FIFA version at all, and I wouldn't have if it wasn't portable on the Switch).

Shit, is the AI so bad? That's the kind of thing that really bothers me in a sports game

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
I love this custom game, it is better gameplay wise than Fifa 17. If only EA could work on a patch to add vs online MP with friends.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Seems like its a solid foundation but they still have a lot of things they could and should improve on for Fifa 19 on Switch.

This is EA we are talking about... They probably developed this in a shoestring budget now let's see if they are willing to invest more in the future.

They advertised it as the best portable Fifa experience so they aren't wrong there...but they neglected some other areas in the process.

Gurish

Pretty much as expected, Switch is a nice step up from last gen so the game is looking better than the 360 version, but it's also a big step down from current gen so it looks significantly worse than current gen. Seems like a great version though, anyone claiming the game bombed because EA didn't give a fuck is being ridiculous.

gtj1092

Fair enough! Were there not so many other games ATM I'd have probably picked this version of the game up, it looks more than satisfactory for what I'd want having grown tired of home console FIFA yearly iterations. Hopefully next year's version will be even better and there'll be less games all over the place, though I probably won't be playing you on it then.

What's this game doing that home console FIFA games aren't?

efyu_lemonardo

May I have a cookie?
I love this custom game, it is better gameplay wise than Fifa 17. If only EA could work on a patch to add vs online MP with friends.
Is it not too dark to make out important details on the Switch's small screen?

To be honest that looks like something that'd affect my experience much more than no online with friends.

It's missing all the stadium developments from the last 3 years or so.

Etihad Stadium and Anfield are as they were a few years ago without the new South Stand and new Main Stand respectively.

However, the stadium pictures pre match include the expansions and the commentary refers to them being in place. I had a game at Anfield and Martin Tyler on commentary talks about being in the new section while the actual image on screen shows that section not even in existence.

Nah, feels like they could have done more, maybe they weren't allowed. Will not buy another FIFA on the Switch, that's for sure though. Hardware limitations was accepted in the graphics department and the Journey mode, but no excuse for other stuff that was left out.

It was most likely time constraints. They made an exclusive version of the game for the Switch. They did a great job considering it's the first version in this customized engine.

It was most likely time constraints. They made an exclusive version of the game for the Switch. They did a great job considering it's the first version in this customized engine.

In an interview with the dev he said they wanted to add a lot more into FUT, the presentation, modes, better graphics for FIFA 19 (assuming they get a shot at it)

Top Bottom