• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[DF] Forza Horizon 5 First Look + New Cross-Gen and Performance Mode Details

Andodalf

Banned
I've seen conflicting info, is this 4k 60 fps or only 30 fps xsx?

There has only ever been one official word, no conflicting info.

4k 30 fidelity mode

4k 60 Perf mode

It's both and it's native, with all the dynamic scalingr and reconstruction, checkerboard etc you simply can't match the clarity of a native 4k image 👌

DRS will probably be in the 60 FPS mode

Last edited:

Riky

$MSFT
They have extra comment from the Devs about performance mode and last gen versions if you watch the video.

Last edited:

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Crazy to think people said it looks just like 4. It's funny how are minds temember a game lol.

This looks on a whole other level. Mindblowing.

Last edited:

assurdum

Banned
It's both and it's native, with all the dynamic scaling and reconstruction, checkerboard etc you simply can't match the clarity of a native 4k image 👌
Good luck with that. I have stopped to counts the times the developers called 4k 60fps what it's not 4k native at all. I don't understand why someone still fall in the same trap. Oh nothing against not native resolution. Probably will be impossible to spot without the pixels counts.

Last edited:

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Good luck with that. I have stopped to counts the times the developers called 4k 60fps what it's not 4k native at all. I don't understand why someone still fall in the same trap. Oh nothing against not native resolution. Probably will be impossible to spot without the pixels counts.

yeah I don’t think it will be native 4k 60 all the time or it wouldn’t have drs but it will look absolutely insane.

this footage from DF is jaw dropping.

anthony2690

Banned
The prophet/crysis bit really amused me.
Mega excited for this, please have a demo so I can try it early :D

Last edited:

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
The prophet/crysis bit really amused me.
Mega excited for this, please have a demo so I can try it early :D
It really does look perfect for a next-gen Crysis game. They said in the recent extended game showcase that if you buy the Premium/Deluxe version of the game, or purchase those packs to go with the GP version, you'll get early access.
---
On the topic of resolution, I believe the XSX version of FH4, although lackluster, was running both Quality and Performance modes in native 4K. DF reached out to Playground for clarification on the nature of the different versions(PC, X|S, XO) and received 2 statements included in the video...
KJV0rCk.jpg

^This doesn't exclude the possibility that DRS would be used in the Performance Mode, but it can be inferred that both are native 4K, with the Performance mode scaling effects. It says as much.

XW7Ds3E.jpg

^The context of this was whether there would be different builds of the game engine for last-gen support. In order to provide best-in-class experiences on "a wide range of PCs as well as Xbox One..." they've included scalable tech such as DRS and variable settings. This comment isn't directed at X|S.

Just my take. Going by FH4, I'd say 100% chance Quality Mode is 4K, and 90% chance Performance Mode is as well.

Last edited:

AgentP

Thinks mods influence posters politics. Promoted to QAnon Editor.
It's both and it's native, with all the dynamic scaling and reconstruction, checkerboard etc you simply can't match the clarity of a native 4k image 👌
Ya, sure. Bet you would fail a blind test and would do no better than a flip of a coin.

nkarafo

Meanwhile, STEAM version of Forza Horizon 4 still suffers from terrible stutters during free-roam driving.

And Forza 7 was ridiculous with it's laggy menus and how they stutter and freeze for several seconds.

I don't trust them to deliver a non-janky racing game, on PC at least.

It's mindbogling that the creative director of the game said 4k 60 and people here are swearing by that it's not 😂.
Guys maybe he knows a bit more than you since he's the director of the game

Rikkori

It's crazy to me that even after hundreds of game market themselves as 4K, but are really not, people still haven't figured out you can't do 4K 60 on these consoles without the game tanking settings. Hell, even FH4 on XSX can only do 4K 60 with some abysmal cuts like no AO and the like, so why do people think a more detailed & boundary-pushing sequel will run better?

Shmunter

Looks good, but that level of fidelity is likely the default 30fps mode on console. As DF speculates this is likely running on the beefiest PC.

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
It's crazy to me that even after hundreds of game market themselves as 4K, but are really not, people still haven't figured out you can't do 4K 60 on these consoles without the game tanking settings. Hell, even FH4 on XSX can only do 4K 60 with some abysmal cuts like no AO and the like, so why do people think a more detailed & boundary-pushing sequel will run better?

Even DF mentioned that was a curious port. I'd call it completely lackluster. I'm running FH4 GP edition on Ryzen 1600 + 2060 Super oc and you can use the 'Ultra' preset, no dynamic optimization, 2xMSAA, John's favorite long motion blur, reflections and windshield reflections to 'High', and still have plenty of room for Night Shadows and High AO while maintaining 60fps with v-sync enabled. XSX should be more performant than a 2060S in non-RT games.

Despite all that, DF never said anything about DRS in the FH4 video, and the game is native 4K in both Quality and Performance mode. And why should it bother people if it is DRS in Performance Mode anyway?

FH4-Ultra-Mix-jp.jpg

FH4-Ultra-Mix-JPP-jp.jpg

^Still looks quite nice.

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
4k 60 in metro literally goes all the way down to 1080p and mostly stays around 1296p during combat and 1700p during quieter sections.

I have no idea how you can get a game that runs at native 4k 30 fps and get it to run at native 4k 60 fps without setting all settings to low. Maybe they will run the x1x version in the performance mode at 60 fps without all the photorealistic foliage.

Maybe it's 4kcb 60 fps and 720p checkerboard to 1080p. Even ratchet had to settle for 1440p 60 fps with drops all the way down to 1080p at times.

Nowadays if someone says "4k" it really could mean a lot of things. Reconstructed, checkerboarded, DRS, maximum 4k, targeted 4k. If a Dev specifically doesn't mention its native 4k, I'm now assuming it's not.

Would assume the performance mode has more aggressive DRS in addition to much lower settings.

Greggy

4k 60 in metro literally goes all the way down to 1080p and mostly stays around 1296p during combat and 1700p during quieter sections.

I have no idea how you can get a game that runs at native 4k 30 fps and get it to run at native 4k 60 fps without setting all settings to low. Maybe they will run the x1x version in the performance mode at 60 fps without all the photorealistic foliage.

Maybe it's 4kcb 60 fps and 720p checkerboard to 1080p. Even ratchet had to settle for 1440p 60 fps with drops all the way down to 1080p at times.
FH5 runs on slightly better hardware. We’ll see what Playground has concocted. They wouldn’t call it 4K if it was 1080p. They said 1080p60 on XSS I think.

Shmunter

Nowadays if someone says "4k" it really could mean a lot of things. Reconstructed, checkerboarded, DRS, maximum 4k, targeted 4k. If a Dev specifically doesn't mention its native 4k, I'm now assuming it's not.

Would assume the performance mode has more aggressive DRS in addition to much lower settings.
The measure no longer carries enough substance in the modern tech sense. Sort of like MHz across CPU’s being redundant across different architectures.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Woken up and quite shocked that this thread has so little comments, over at other places on the internet there’s a lot of discussion about how incredible this looks.
for how much people talk about graphics I thought people would be discussing this more and how batshit insane it looks.

I don’t quite get it.

Woken up and quite shocked that this thread has so little comments, over at other places on the internet there’s a lot of discussion about how incredible this looks.
for how much people talk about graphics I thought people would be discussing this more and how batshit insane it looks.

I don’t quite get it.
It looks good, no doubt about it. It looks great even. But does it look considerably better than FH4 on a high-end PC? Most of the wow factor comes from the locale, rather than the technology behind it. Consider the lighting for example: don't think they have introduction a improved GI system or anything like that. In fact all they mentioned was a better(?) Volumetric system and godrays. Not exactly groundbreaking tech. People might be disappointed that ray tracing is only available in Forzavista also.

Kagey K

Banned

I don’t quite get it.

It's likely the best looking game this year but gets dismissed because Racing, and Xbox.

Horizon has been the best game every year it releases, but doesn't count because of those 2 reasons.

If it looked exactly the same as or does now, but you had to walk through it to hit a checkpoint it would be GOTY every time.

Last edited:

Leyasu

Banned

I don’t quite get it.
Wrong thread

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes

I don’t quite get it.
This is not the main thread for the game..

The main thread has over ten pages and is easily the most talked about game of the show here on gaf.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
It looks good, no doubt about it. It looks great even. But does it look considerably better than FH4 on a high-end PC? Most of the wow factor comes from the locale, rather than the technology behind it. Consider the lighting for example: don't think they have introduction a improved GI system or anything like that. In fact all they mentioned was a better(?) Volumetric system and godrays. Not exactly groundbreaking tech. People might be disappointed that ray tracing is only available in Forzavista also.

when they showed the pc version of FH4 and talked about how much better it looks I totally agreed with them, looks a lot better than FH4 imo. A clear generation jump.

I’ll jump in the main thread, thanks guys.

Last edited:

CrustyBritches

Gold Member

FH5 is a racing game and running on a highly refined engine. The way it would likely work is that FH5 30fps mode is really around 45fps avg with maybe 35fps min for the headroom needed for perfect 30fps lock. The 60fps mode doesn't need double the performance, it just has to get from ~45fps avg to 60fps avg(not min), and they'll just eat the frame drops below 60fps in rare occasions as a necessary evil, and use lower base settings with dynamic optimization to minimize it.

I think all the footage from the game is off a Series X given how many times the Creative Director made to how Series consoles and how it allowed them to model the world even down to individual needles on the Catus Ect, plus I feel the PC version of have raytracing for in-game racing too.

The game looks amazing, but I could seen some LOD drawn in quite clearly, hope that will be fixed in the final version

DavidGzz

When they paused it and put a first person perspective in the jungle it made me realize how great Fable will most likely look. Interactive environments should also put it on another level. Tired of games that look great where everything is static.

Foliage bending 😀 nice little dig at the other Horizon me thinks. This game is on another level to other games in terms of geometry detail! And that sand storm😳 first generation next gen Playground game and they've put every other developer firmly in their place.

I think all the footage from the game is off a Series X given how many times the Creative Director made to how Series consoles and how it allowed them to model the world even down to individual needles on the Catus Ect, plus I feel the PC version of have raytracing for in-game racing too.

The game looks amazing, but I could seen some LOD drawn in quite clearly, hope that will be fixed in the final version
Yes I believe this is the performance mode, it will definitely improve before release. I remember Horizon 3 improving dramatically in this area from its E3 showing to final release.

Top Bottom