• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[DF] Ghost of Tsushima Director's Cut PS5 Upgrades Tested

ManaByte

got.gif
go away gtfo GIF

I’m supposed to finally get my PS5 back from repair tomorrow and was thinking about getting this but I’m confused now about the options… I started the PS4 version on PS5 but only played it for maybe 30

Is it $30 upgrade for the DLC and native PS5 version, but you can buy them separately for $20 and $10 respectively?

Doesn’t sound like you get much for the $10 upgrade so I’m thinking maybe just get the DLC if that’s an option.

elliot5

I’m supposed to finally get my PS5 back from repair tomorrow and was thinking about getting this but I’m confused now about the options… I started the PS4 version on PS5 but only played it for maybe 30

Is it $30 upgrade for the DLC and native PS5 version, but you can buy them separately for $20 and $10 respectively?

Doesn’t sound like you get much for the $10 upgrade so I’m thinking maybe just get the DLC if that’s an option.
Yes you can just get the dlc for PS4 for $20 and not pay the $10 Xtra for the ps5 enhancements and play the Iki island dlc via PS4 BC

Romulus

I think for base ps4 users, this is a massive upgrade. Just 2x the framerate alone is transformative. Is 60fps an option on Pro?

Gediminas

Banned
competition doing it for 60$, so 10$ is pretty fair, but the least, it is a choice, because PS5 got BC 60fps patch.

JoeBudden

It’s the fact that they’re charging us for less than what other developers have done for free. Even Miles Morales, another Sony published game, got a decent upgrade over PS4 and you didn’t have to pay more if you already own it on PS4

Nah, all of this concern is disingenuous and bullshit lol.

This game got a multiplayer expansion for free, a PS5 60FPS update for free, and another free multiplayer expansion coming this September. And, you guys wanna act like they're ripping us off cause they decided to charge us one time.

The fact DOOM Eternal gets thrown around here as a comparison is evidence of bad faith in regards to the concern with pricing. That game extracts way more money from consumers.

Mr Moose

Why exactly is this £10 more on PS5?
£9, I think (if the Eurogamer article is correct).

Dynamic 4K resolution targeting 60fps
DualSense haptic feedback and adaptive trigger resistance
3D audio with stereo headphones (analogue or USB)
Lip sync for Japanese voiceover - I think this is the biggest difference they did, they have re-done the cutscenes and are now in real time.
Ability to transfer PS4 saved progress to PS5 game

JoeBudden

They could have worked on Ray Traced Global Illumination. This alone would make consider paying for the upgrade. Either way the fact that it's payed when other companies give it for free is a big scam.

Should other companies offer free expansions if Ghost of Tsushima offered them for free?

ANDS

King of Gaslighting
You’re paying for the DLC, lip sync and Dualsense implementation, the 1800P 60fps upgrade is free for anyone owning the PS4 game.

That said, they should’ve added more, like improved draw distance and stuff.

No you aren't. The DLC can be bought now for 20 bucks which is fair. If you want the PS5 improvements that's in the 30 bucks package which isn't out yet. The game is literally more expensive for people who already purchased the game and want to play on the PS5 versus someone who just picks the game up now on PS5.

. . . as good as SONY's games are, this is a shit practice that should have gotten more attention (I'll admit to being ignorant about this myself).

They could have worked on Ray Traced Global Illumination. This alone would make consider paying for the upgrade. Either way the fact that it's payed when other companies give it for free is a big scam.
PS5 is not powerful enough, certainly not on an open world game.

Is it true that the majority of cutscenes in the PS4 BC version on PS5 run at 60, but all cutscenes in the PS5 patch version run at 30 now? Maybe they were trying to make it consistent or something but that kinda makes me want to skip it. Choosing between doubling the framerate in cutscenes versus haptics, particles and lip sync.

Last edited:

Dr Bass

The work to redo all the lip syncing in Japanese alone would be worth ten bucks to me. That must have been quite a bit of work. None of this is controversial and people complaining are weird. No one here has any idea how much effort it took to add PS5 features to the code base. It could have been a significant lift and took a good amount of time away from other development. Saying you are owed it for free is ridiculous. Every company can do what it feels is fair.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
-Two graphic modes: frame-rate and resolution.
-Checkerboard rendering in both modes with 60fps.
-Framerate mode in 1800p CB.
-Resolution mode in 2160p CB.
-Possibility of dynamic resolution even if in the tests it seems to be a fixed resolution.
-60fps locked on both modes.
-Display distance is the same as before.
-Improvement of some textures.
-Loadings much faster (now instantaneous) compared to the version running on PS4 BC.
-The cinematics that were in pre-rendering on PS4 now run in real time on PS5 at 30fps instead of 60fps.
-The game exploits well the 3D audio + Dualsense features.
-DF regret that this kind of upgrade is paid when it's free at other studios.
They seriously couldnt do native 4k 60 fps?

This is a 1080p 30 fps game. You need a 14 tflops GCN 1.0 GPU to do 4k 60 fps. a 10 tflops PS5 should easily be at least 15 GCN 1.0 tflops. I would expect at least dynamic 4k 60 fps that goes down to 1800p if the framerate dips during action scenes.

And this is why you need VRR. They are leaving a lot of performance on the table in order to achieve a locked 60 fps.

Banned
The work to redo all the lip syncing in Japanese alone would be worth ten bucks to me. That must have been quite a bit of work. None of this is controversial and people complaining are weird. No one here has any idea how much effort it took to add PS5 features to the code base. It could have been a significant lift and took a good amount of time away from other development. Saying you are owed it for free is ridiculous. Every company can do what it feels is fair.

they didn't manually add lip sync, they use an automatic system that syncs lip movment to audio, all they changed is running previously prerendered cutscenes in real time. the lip sync outside of these was already correct

Putonahappyface

Gold Member
People going bonkers over 10$ is downright comical.
Some of us have sold the game age's ago, so would be buying the game outright again. I couldn't care less about multiplayer or Japanese lip sync, I just want new story content but not for £70 with minimal upgrades.

(I found physical for £58) but still 😒.

Last edited:

Sleepwalker

Gold Member
I'm making a point to go back and force myself to finish this game soon.

Not paying the PS5 tax, paying so the controller wrestles you while you play is very meh (had to turn it off system wide, only miles morales has great use of it IMO) and I'm currently using a 1080p screen. Yeah PS4BC and maybe the DLC if somehow learn to like the game will be enough.

ReBurn

Gold Member
It has better textures and they did the lip sync stuff, cutscenes are real time now.
There's haptics and stuff on the controller.
We literally had a list of shit the PS5 version has for over a month, how are people surprised about this?

Dynamic 4K resolution targeting 60fps
DualSense haptic feedback and adaptive trigger resistance
3D audio with stereo headphones (analogue or USB)
Lip sync for Japanese voiceover
Ability to transfer PS4 saved progress to PS5 game
I think people are surprised because we've also had a month of astroturfing and misinformation about this upgrade from people who are more interested in defending Sony's handling of the upgrade from PS4 to PS5 than letting people discuss what was actually happening.

Not what he is talking about the DLC is fine.

Its the $10 for the PS5 "upgrade" after they already did the things you mentioned

a $10 upgrade that’s barely noticeable. Use the ps4 BC instead if you don’t want the DLC, you aren’t missing much

I’ll cut them some slack on something like like this when they’ve already been pretty consumer friendly in many other ways

Bryank75

Banned
a $10 upgrade that’s barely noticeable. Use the ps4 BC instead if you don’t want the DLC, you aren’t missing much

I’ll cut them some slack on something like like this when they’ve already been pretty consumer friendly in many other ways
I am paying but just because it's Sucker Punch.

This stinks of Jim Ryan though!

Arioco

ElAnalistaDeBits?
3idgb5.jpg

Seems fire/smoke has improved?

In this case Elanalistadebits is right, there're way more particles on PS5. DF must've overlooked that detail.

A little disappointing anyways, I was expecting some kind of upgrade to the textures.

Yeah I was expecting at least native 4k or a 120fps mode, disappointing since it's a paid patch.

I'm sure you're devastated. My condolences. 😂

OsirisBlack

Banned
Are people really complaining about a $10 dollar dlc? Am I missing something? There’s an entire new area and story content and people are mad? At what exactly?

Top Bottom