• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[DF] Ghost of Tsushima Director's Cut PS5 Upgrades Tested

TLZ

Banned
I hate to be paranoid, but something tells me they pulled some of the upgrade stuff from the DLC to be able to make some cash on the "upgrade." Like the lipsync should have been in the DLC; that is the only thing that even warrants a "cost." Haptic feedback and a barebones resolution increase is not worth 10 bucks. . .

Speaking of, I can't even find the damn thing in the store. They can't even gouge properly.

I'm not going to speak for XB1. . .but are you seriously asking why you didn't get a "free next gen upgrade" for PS3 to PS4 games like TLOU1?
Are you searching for the upgrade? Searched Ghost of Tsushima on the PS app and it's in the top two.

Again, my point was that I recall us having to pay money on ALL games that were ported to the PS4/X1X era of gaming.

I have never remembered a single game that was ported to PS4/X1X that wasnt paid.

I would argue that SE had the best next gen patch/expansion with FFR, and Doom Eternal the worst. I consider GoTDC a nuisance and annoyance, but hardly disgusting.

Regardless, I'm probably missing a perspective here that's clouding my judgement. So, at best, we can agree to disagree.

I appreciate you taking the time to explain to me your thoughts.

Of course, I would love that. Who wouldn't? But are we arguing over price point or over the fact that it exists?
Judgment upgrade is slimy too. However i sold my ps4 copy for 18 ish and buy the ps5 version for $25 so i will accept that. Imo, do I want the upgrade free? Sure but I also accept there ARE work done like the lipsync and stuff that warrant a price but I ain;t paying $30.

ANDS

King of Gaslighting
Are you searching for the upgrade? Searched Ghost of Tsushima on the PS app and it's in the top two.

I had to start the game before I got a prompt to download the 10 dollar upgrade from the main menu. Before then all I had access to was the Director's Cut upgrade.

Last edited:
Reactions: TLZ

Kagey K

Banned
Again, my point was that I recall us having to pay money on ALL games that were ported to the PS4/X1X era of gaming.

I have never remembered a single game that was ported to PS4/X1X that wasnt paid.

You are wrong. There were many games where you got the next gen version for free with the purchase of the previous gen.

They didn't charge you 10.00 more for the purchase or make you buy a cross gen bundle.

Like CoD Ghosts for example.

Last edited:

Kagey K

Banned
All the people defending this here are nowhere to be found in the Skyrim thread.. 🤔

Yet this makes sense somehow.
They should probably charge 20.00 for the fishing and then 10.00 for the upgrade with no way to just pay 10 for the upgrade, so you have to spend 30.00.

That way most people will be happy and the devs deserve to get paid. 😅

I mean it’s only 10.00 right? 🤷‍♂️
Surely you can see how silly the argument looks.

Last edited:

TLZ

Banned
Hold on a sec. My PS5 wants to download 60.91gb of Ghost of Tsushima stuff. Why?? I didn't buy anything. I just turned it on and found that message.

Kagey K

Banned
Hold on a sec. My PS5 wants to download 60.91gb of Ghost of Tsushima stuff. Why?? I didn't buy anything. I just turned it on and found that message.
Lol probably so if you pay the money it can download the 100kb unlock after.

It assumes you want it, and wants to prefownload it for when you buy it.

Last edited:

TheAssist

A shame that draw distance seems to be hard limited in this. Thats what the game needed more than higher res or better textures. Less pop in and more detail in the distance would have gone a long way of making it looking even better.

But Im looking forward to getting back into this world

Bryank75

Banned
10 euro to get all your trophies doubled up. I think that is what you're really paying for here.

2 plats in a day, not bad.

Last edited:

TLZ

Banned
Lol probably so if you pay the money it can download the 100kb unlock after.

It assumes you want it, and wants to prefownload it for when you buy it.
I got excited for a bit thinking we're getting the PS5 "patch" for free 😅

People think devs just hit some switches and its done Hahahah and then complain when games are buggy, lazy devs lol. I want free, gimmie gimme.
Other developers do it for free and do more, this is just a Sony cash grab plain and simple. Leave your fanboy mentality to the side and look at the facts. If Microsoft pulled this shit they'd get the same response (probably worse).

assurdum

Banned
Next time Sony better charges 29,99 bucks for PS4 + PS5 owners. They make even more money and less people are pissed.
I think the problem is the graphic upgrade is not exactly a real upgrade. You'd expect something more after payed it. Hope it not becomes a trend because it's unfair and an offensive practice.

Last edited:
I think the problem is the upgrade is not exactly a real upgrade. You'd expect something more after payed it. Hope it not becomes a trend because it's outrageous.
Yeah, that's why i mean they should have made just 1 option for both: DLC for 29,99 and that's it. There wouldn't be complaints since 30 bucks for a DLC is not unusual.

TLZ

Banned
Ok so I'm trying the game right now after the free 60gb update that I got. It's set on 'High resolution' but it's still 60fps. This was locked to 30fps before no?

Also I do I see the 'Target Lock' updated too.

Edit: Nevermind. Apparently it was the same on PS5 before.

Last edited:

Greggy

I'm pretty sure that's part of the patch for all owners of Ghost of Tsushima and not locked to the DC version
You’re right, I got that as part of a patch BEFORE the directors cut upgrade. However the fact that you are charged at two separate occasions, once to add another island to your map and once to enable the dual sense features, seems odd.
The feeling of being hustled is almost inevitable. The 10 bucks so your triggers can vibrate especially is awful. If Doom or Hellblade required 10£ for raytracing the pitchforks would legitimately come out. This ain’t different.

ANDS

King of Gaslighting
You’re right, I got that as part of a patch BEFORE the directors cut upgrade. However the fact that you are charged at two separate occasions, once to add another island to your map and once to enable the dual sense features, seems odd.
The feeling of being hustled is almost inevitable. The 10 bucks so your triggers can vibrate especially is awful. If Doom or Hellblade required 10£ for raytracing the pitchforks would legitimately come out. This ain’t different.

Absolutely. This is an amazing game, but I was seriously gritting my teeth restarting my playthrough. The 4KCB/60FPS does pop but it isn't as big a leap as when I tried the game out after getting my PS5.

Stooky

Other developers do it for free and do more, this is just a Sony cash grab plain and simple. Leave your fanboy mentality to the side and look at the facts. If Microsoft pulled this shit they'd get the same response (probably worse).
What are you talking about? Me wanting devs to get paid for their work is not fanboy mentality. fanboy mentality? I haven't played this game.

Last edited:

Urban

Thats the PS5 Version. Is it your first PS4 Title that you upgrade for PS5? Even if you deinstall it and later on put the CD in, it wont install the PS4 version of the Game but instead download the PS5 version for you. Which is pretty good for me since my download is pretty fast.

dEvAnGeL

You are confused if you believe Sony owes you or anybody anything, this is a business and money is made by selling, not giving, while i agree other games have done more for nothing, it doesn't mean everyone has to, look at Nintendo and their $60 price tag for Wii U remasters, same game, res bump, $60 bucks. This won't be the last time it happens, and MS does it for free because they are playing catch up since 10 years ago.... Same as Sony did with free multiplayer on ps3, you have to offer something to bring customers to your environment/platform, this isn't about being fanboys for either side, the company that's leading the pack can do whatever it wants, or did you forget when MS had the Netflix app behind a paywall with xbox live gold? Why? Because they were leading. It also baffles me people spend $500 on a console and complain about a $10 upgrade, you don't need it, if it's that minimal just play the game on BC mode and that's it, the entitlement people have nowadays is unreal, either you get free shit or the company sucks, screw developers getting payed because others gave us free shit blah blah blah.

Whitecrow

Banned
People complaining about a business company wanting to get paid for their work need a punch to the face ASAP and get educated.

TLZ

Banned
Thats the PS5 Version. Is it your first PS4 Title that you upgrade for PS5? Even if you deinstall it and later on put the CD in, it wont install the PS4 version of the Game but instead download the PS5 version for you. Which is pretty good for me since my download is pretty fast.
But how? I thought we had to pay for the PS5 version? I previously played my PS4 disc in my PS5 through BC.

I still don't get why I downloaded 60gb for if I'm still playing the version I already had.

Kamina

Golden Boy
So where is the 10$ PS5 Upgrade or the 30$ PS4 to PS5 Direktos Cut upgrade?
I can only find the full DC PS5 Version and the 20$ PS4 Directors Upgrade on PSN.

Last edited:

Urban

So where is the 10$ PS5 Upgrade or the 30$ PS4 to PS5 Direktos Cut upgrade?
I can only find the full DC PS5 Version and the 20$ PS4 Directors Upgrade on PSN.
After you buy the 20 version you will see the 10 $ Version for upgrade. You need to do 2 purchases

Dr.Morris79

Gold Member
Corrr, marvelous, more PS5 games that look great, would love to play it on the PS5!

thing is, there is no PS5's?

How the fuck am I meant to play this?

DHpcxCY.gif

• LOL
Reactions: TLZ
The haptics and triggers are horrible imo. The controller makes a comedy boing sound when you pick stuff up and when using the bow you can hear the controller aggressively vibrating and creaking which reminds you how it’s all cheap plastic.

I can’t see any real benefit from the res boost as the CBR or TAA or whatever makes everything look a bit soft anyhow. Still full of low res textures and pop in.

Loading is near instant but it was always fast.

30fps cut scenes are a bit jarring.

The DLC is really good so far though and after playing Days Gone again recently with shit plastered all over the screen the minimalistic UI is simply majestic. I can’t quite remember how to play so making a meal of combat but will get there soon enough. There are controls with the attacks on R1 and R2 now which I never noticed before so I might try those.

Mr Moose

You are wrong. There were many games where you got the next gen version for free with the purchase of the previous gen.

They didn't charge you 10.00 more for the purchase or make you buy a cross gen bundle.

Like CoD Ghosts for example.
Wait, what does the last part mean? CoD Ghosts did charge £10, or are you saying like CoD Ghosts did?

Also, why the fuck is everyone still going on about the price? This is a Digital Foundry thread not the OT/review thread.
Buy it or don't.

Captain Hero

The Spoiler Soldier
I like what I saw after playing for 3 hours but that $11 upgrade was just a big no for me now. It adds nice things but sure not worth to pay for it! I'm talking about the ps5 version not the DLC

rapid32.5

Getting PS4 version instead of PS5, try harder Sony next time. I don't support quick cash grabs practices.

Last edited:

ANDS

King of Gaslighting
So, there are absolutely dips in frame rate. They are very brief but can occur multiple times in a span of seconds. Not sure if this is a release issue but not sure how they didn't catch this.

Wait, what does the last part mean? CoD Ghosts did charge £10, or are you saying like CoD Ghosts did?

Also, why the fuck is everyone still going on about the price? This is a Digital Foundry thread not the OT/review thread.
Buy it or don't.

The Digital Foundry video is about the performance of GoT on PS5 a performance you can't get without shelling out 10 bucks if you've already purchased the game.

Mr Moose

So, there are absolutely dips in frame rate. They are very brief but can occur multiple times in a span of seconds. Not sure if this is a release issue but not sure how they didn't catch this.

The Digital Foundry video is about the performance of GoT on PS5 a performance you can't get without shelling out 10 bucks if you've already purchased the game.
Performance is 60fps on PS5 in BC, so yeah you can.

Top Bottom