• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DF - Ghost of Tsushima tech review: Sony first-party magic delivers a beautiful open world

Fake

The last of the Sony first-party studio juggernauts for PS4, Ghost of Tsushima sees Sucker Punch take on the open world genre. Imagine an Assassin's Creed type of game paired with first party magic and you have some idea of what this game delivers. The technology is fascinating and John Linneman is here to showcase what sets this game apart.

Summary:
- 'Sucker Punch's best game yet, but it's far from perfect.'
- Two visual modes on PRO: 'Higher resolution' and 'Better frame rate'.
- On quality, you get a 3200x1800 via checkerboard reconstruction for 4K
- Perfomance reduce the resolution to 1080p, but ensure locked 30 (similar to Horizon Zero Dawn)
- Game target is 30 fps on both base PS4 and PRO
- Base PS4 you get a 1920x1080 resolution
- John highly recommend the 'Higher resolution' mode if you have a 4K TV on PRO
- Both of the Pro's modes target 30 frames per second
- Option for HDR as well, with John say 'certainly makes a very strong first impression'
- Settings using for John at HDR (He using a LG OLED TV): Brightness - 70, UI Brightness (HDR) - 30
- Audio is the best aspect of the game as well
- The sound mix in this game is remarkably powerful to the point where it sounds more like a film as opposed to a typical game
- The use of the LFE channel for deep but smooth bass combined with heavy reliance on surround sound channels works brilliantly
- 'Beyond the audio, there's no doubt that Ghost of Tsushima is a simply beautiful game'
- The game can show high detail texture quality, but sometimes low texture in ground/rocks with are quite distracting, but not so severe as you play.
- While on the 'Higher resolution', the game runs at 30 with some dips on heavy battles, to 28 to 29, but he still recommend using the Higher resolution
- Same dips on base PS4 (26~28). In some battles PS4 struggle to maintain 30 fps and some cutscenes with heavy particle effects.
- But for the entire rest of the game, on the base PS4 the game keep 30 fps as tested almost a entire hour on the game.
- Entire section tested and speed: 6:42
- In terms of stability is better than any Assassin Creed and Witcher 3, but even more stable on PRO.
- Animation have some flaws as John mention when sometimes he walking (he call mix bag), but animation in battle are very detail.
- Some problems with the camera, he wish to get fixed soon.
- Loading times are incredibly fast, reaching around 6 seconds when you die.
- Photo mode was a step foward from any photo mode game yet
- You get so much options on the photo mode that can even affect the frame rate while changing weather system or seeing far ahead locations
- In the rest of part 2, John and Rich talk about:
-- The problem of first party games being so close to release to each other.
-- Inevitable comparison between two very different games (Last of Us part 2 and GoT).
-- Games getting too long.
-- If the games release this year will get a PS5 upgrade (native 4k or 60 fps mode)
-- Waiting for user review about Ghost of Tsushima.

Last edited:

Saber

Gold Member
One thing that sticks out for me is the loading times. Seems like I won't be having to wait like a lemon everytime I die or warp. Big deal for me.

Also, I kinda agree with John about the camera positioning. Never was much a fan of the camera being so close to the character. I hope this can be fixed later with a patch to give different kind of options.

The only thing so far it didn't bother me was the animations. Really, it's not something of a game breaker and neither it will annoy my experience. So its something I disagree with John, even though I understand the sentiment. Also, I wouldn't use the photo mode to catch the flaws the game has...I would stop whenever I feel its worth take a picture of a pretty scenario.

Last edited:

Rikkori

Yup, the low FOV + garbage camera tracking are absolute deal-breakers. Stopped playing the Infamous games (and most everything on console) for the same reason.

What a shame.

BluRayHiDef

Banned
As I concluded based on the State of Play in which this game was demonstrated, this game's visual quality hinges primarily on art direction (e.g. color palette, environmental design, and character model design) rather than technical factors such as texture resolution, field of view, screen resolution, character animation, etc. I purchased it from the PlayStation Store last week and am still excited to play it; however, I don't think that it will impress me as much as The Last of Us Part II in regard to graphics (as well as gameplay and storytelling).

Matt_Fox

Unusual that the two modes (quality and performance) seem near identical on PS4 Pro...

I'm also wondering whether it will be worth waiting for PS5 to see if it becomes native 4K / 60FPS.

The graphics and art design look absolutely top notch and I don't think it will look inferior to PS5 launch titles at all, so might be worth holding off till then.

Dontero

Banned
Lol ok Im dumb.

I wonder if the PS5 version will have higher framerate

It is as obvious it will as sun after night. PS4 is very old and slow hardware compared to new consoles. If not for shitty cpu in PS4 there would be plenty of games hitting 60fps on base console too. Like witcher 3 which runs about 70fps on high on my 7970HD which was class higher than PS4 GPU and Witcher 3 run about 25-30fps unstable on medium.

Last edited:

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
Is there any game on PS4 that support Atmos? Or just on Xbox?
Believe Atmos is only on Xbox. DTSX is coming to games on Xbox. I dont think Sony has talked about either for PS5 in terms of games? I would have to assume for movies it'll be there but I would have to assume they are going with Tempest for games.

Last edited:

Fake

Believe Atmos is only on Xbox. DTSX is coming to games on Xbox. I dont think Sony has talked about either for PS5 in terms of games? I would have to assume for movies it'll be there but I would have to assume they are going with Tempest for games.

Thats a shame. Even PS5 going to Tempest they could implement Atmos on PRO. This game have such a huge potential with a good sound system.

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
Thats a shame. Even PS5 going to Tempest they could implement Atmos on PRO. This game have such a huge potential with a good sound system.

Receiver upmixers do a decent job for some content. But it always lacks in the "boom" factor when its not native. Modern Warfare in Atmos is fucking nuts.

stranno

Am I the only one hearing gibberish behind the John's voice in this video? :messenger_tears_of_joy:

It sounds like Animal Crossing.

It's not in my head, I swear.

Last edited:

Shmunter

As I concluded based on the State of Play in which this game was demonstrated, this game's visual quality hinges primarily on art direction (e.g. color palette, environmental design, and character model design) rather than technical factors such as texture resolution, field of view, screen resolution, character animation, etc. I purchased it from the PlayStation Store last week and am still excited to play it; however, I don't think that it will impress me as much as The Last of Us Part II in regard to graphics (as well as gameplay and storytelling).
Isn’t the consensus the wind physics interaction on the world being a technical achievement?

Regardless, nothing new is said proving over and over games are in essence about creativity and art with the tech being only an enabler.

Good, they have a low noise mode for Pro owners. If the console isn't getting too loud I might try playing it in high res mode, if it turns into a jet engine I'll stick to the "performance mode".

Algorum

Neo Member
I’m surprised that Sucker Punch went with another artificial look and feel instead of bringing us a truly dynamic open-world samurai game.

Last edited:

kyussman

Sounds good enough for me....my base PS4 has held up really well this gen I think,granted I'm not that fussy when it comes to frame rates etc....this game looks stunning,hope my copy arrives tomorrow!!

Last edited:
NX Gamer's take

He says that later parts in the game (he doesn't show them cuz spoiler) there seems to be massive drops into low 20s on base PS4 and PS4 Pro in resolution mode. Thankfully you can switch to performance mode on the fly during these sections.

This is pretty much just like The Last Guardian. That also ran poor on Base PS4 and Pro with 4k output. It was only perfect on Pro with 1080p output.

Shmunter

NX Gamer's take

He says that later parts in the game (he doesn't show them cuz spoiler) there seems to be massive drops into low 20s on base PS4 and PS4 Pro in resolution mode. Thankfully you can switch to performance mode on the fly during these sections.

This is pretty much just like The Last Guardian. That also ran poor on Base PS4 and Pro with 4k output. It was only perfect on Pro with 1080p output.

It’s time for a new gen. Luckily we have such a product

Vroadstar

NX Gamer's take

You are spreading FUD now, NX says the worst sections you drop a couple of frames. I don't see where he said "massive drop" as you termed it

ryan13ts

Now I wish I had kept my pro, even though I'm amazed with it just on my pleb standard console and I haven't seen any dips yet (not anywhere near that far into it though).

Last edited:
You are spreading FUD now, NX says the worst sections you drop a couple of frames. I don't see where he said "massive drop" as you termed it
No I'm not, you seem to have a problem with understanding what he's saying. He even recommends using the performance mode for 10% of the game because of these drops.

7:10
Am not gonna spoil it, but later in the game it can drop pretty low it can go into the 20s, I've seen it go as low on PS4 and it can do in similar levels on Pro on those later sections if you're unlucky enough and get lots of things happening at once.

14:36 (performance mode)
and that's the mode you will use later in the game in certain parts when it's very heavy

He wouldn't single out certain sections of the game and he wouldn't say he played in performance mode a couple times because of "a couple of dropped frames".

Hobbygaming

has been asked to post in 'Grounded' mode.
I don't think I've ever stopped so many times in a game due to it's visuals. It's breathtaking and it's a great game so far too

Vroadstar

No I'm not, you seem to have a problem with understanding what he's saying. He even recommends using the performance mode for 10% of the game because of these drops.

7:10
Am not gonna spoil it, but later in the game it can drop pretty low it can go into the 20s, I've seen it go as low on PS4 and it can do in similar levels on Pro on those later sections if you're unlucky enough and get lots of things happening at once.

14:36 (performance mode)
and that's the mode you will use later in the game in certain parts when it's very heavy

He wouldn't single out certain sections of the game and he wouldn't say he played in performance mode a couple times because of "a couple of dropped frames".

Yes you are, never in the video did NX said "massive drop" in framerates and even the timestamp you quoted, he even said "if you are unlucky enough to get it and get lots of things happening at once"

Even funny, he recommended 90% of the time if you have a 4K TV you should play in resolution mode, yet here you are focusing on 10%. He only recommended to play on performance mode "if you have 1080p" TV which looks like you forgot to mention.

Yes you are, never in the video did NX said "massive drop" in framerates and even the timestamp you quoted, he even said "if you are unlucky enough to get it and get lots of things happening at once"

Even funny, he recommended 90% of the time if you have a 4K TV you should play in resolution mode, yet here you are focusing on 10%. He only recommended to play on performance mode "if you have 1080p" TV which looks like you forgot to mention.
You are arguing semantics and you ignore context. I quoted the things he is saying... the FACT is that it DROPS VERY HEAVILY (is this better instead of "massive drops"?) in 2 specific parts of the game (he also mentions both parts), parts you will use the performance mode for. I don't even know what you are arguing against, I never said that the whole game runs like ass. I've said from the beginning that there SEEM to be massive drops in latter parts of the game. This is the context of what NX Gamer is saying, that is what I've said.

Vroadstar

So you agree that on both counts you are wrong because he never said "massive drops"

And 90% of the time is recommendation if you are on 4k, there was no recommendation of 10%.
Good to know.

Last edited:
So you agree that on both counts you are wrong because he never said "massive drops"

And 90% of the time is recommendation if you are on 4k, there was no recommendation of 10%.
Good to know.
Are you like really slow? Do I need to make a drawing for you? Or are you simply trolling?

When he says that the game drops so low that he has to use performance mode (and that he recommends doing this in specific sections of the game) what does that mean? It means the game had massive drops in those situations. He doesn't need to say "massive drops". If you have average intelligence you can infer from his words that there are massive drops in latter sections.

10:44
that's where that 1080p mode really
10:46
comes into its own
10:47
and it's great that it's there and i
10:48
certainly recommend you don't waste it
10:50
and you do use it if you're playing this
10:51
on the pro
10:52
when you get to certain sections because
10:54
it helps the input time and it'll
10:55
actually
10:56
help you play the game

That's where that 1080p mode really comes into its own and it's great that it's there and I certainly recommend you don't waste it and you do use it if you're playing this on the pro when you get to certain sections

Last edited:

It sounds ridiculous to me that someone would play the game at 1080p to save 1 or 2 fps. I know more options is better and all that but it sounds ludicrous to me to play it in 1080p for that.

Vroadstar

Are you like really slow? Do I need to make a drawing for you? Or are you simply trolling?

When he says that the game drops so low that he has to use performance mode (and that he recommends doing this in specific sections of the game) what does that mean? It means the game had massive drops in those situations. He doesn't need to say "massive drops". If you have average intelligence you can infer from his words that there are massive drops in latter sections.

10:44
that's where that 1080p mode really
10:46
comes into its own
10:47
and it's great that it's there and i
10:48
certainly recommend you don't waste it
10:50
and you do use it if you're playing this
10:51
on the pro
10:52
when you get to certain sections because
10:54
it helps the input time and it'll
10:55
actually
10:56
help you play the game

That's where that 1080p mode really comes into its own and it's great that it's there and I certainly recommend you don't waste it and you do use it if you're playing this on the pro when you get to certain sections

It seems like you like to twist parts of what NX is saying to draw your narrative. As he said, performance mode is there but if you are on Pro and you got 4K TV, he recommends 90% of the time you use resolution mode or do I have to spell out "ninety percent" to you to actually understand his recommendation. You seem obtuse and insisting about that 10% when he NX says "you either got locked 30fps or slighty sub 30fps combined with the pin sharp image quality the choice is yours"

"Slighty" and "massive" if the difference is semantics only to you, I don't know what to say. As Phunkydiabetic Phunkydiabetic said, it's ridiculous switching to performance mode if 90% of your playtime you got pin sharp image quality and everything is better compared to just "slightly" sub 30 fps for performance mode. It's great its an option but focusing on 10% for your argument is...you do you I guess.

It sounds ridiculous to me that someone would play the game at 1080p to save 1 or 2 fps. I know more options is better and all that but it sounds ludicrous to me to play it in 1080p for that.
And those who want a 60fps target mode are somehow the elitist ones, go figure.

Releasing a “performance mode” that maxes out at 30fps (for an action game) is about as tone deaf as it gets.

Think I’ll stick with Nioh 2, thanks.

Last edited:
Top Bottom