• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DF: Guardians of the Galaxy: PS5 vs Xbox Series X - Ray Tracing Upgrades Tested

Status
Not open for further replies.

assurdum

Banned
No, not really trying to find an advantage, but just stating a fact that if it happens in one place, it has the potential to happen in other places too.

It's the same reason why we often see different DRS results in DF, NX and VGTech videos. They all cover different sample areas. They don't all cover the entire games.
And I'm stating another fact to you as no one has reported resolution difference outside the single initial cutscene. DRS occasionally could work in a bizzarre way for many possible reasons, it's not a flawless benchmark. It happened something similar in another game patched time ago.

Last edited:

GHG

Gold Member
DarkMage619 DarkMage619 when the Series S doesn't have the same features as the Series X:

Exactly. No MS marketing promised all features on the XSS would be used in all games. It is an imaginary standard no platform has ever been held to except the budget XSS. The XSS still has features more expensive platforms lack entirely that should be addressed before jumping on the budget box.

DarkMage619 DarkMage619 when the Series S does have the same features as the Series X:

Ah yes now playing a victim? How transparent. But you'll be happy to know the XSS has raytracing in this game so it looks like Jason Ronald's team has delivered yet again! It is really impressive seeing yet another title deliver the same core experience across both platforms. I'm sure you'll be the first to sing his praises right? Your concerns can be laid to rest finally.

I hope this puts to bed any notions and concern about what this $300 system is capable of. As Jason Ronald stated the system is designed to deliver the same experience at lower resolutions and that's what we have here. I'm pretty this isn't even on last gen consoles so that should finally answer the question if this system is more powerful than PS4 Pro, or X1X or the Switch. Good to finally have clarity.

So dependant on the situation, "Jason was right it's the same experience like he said", or "Jason never said it would be the same experience".

say-what-dunno.gif

assurdum

Banned
well the thing is ...who buy the xss doesn't really care about all those things ...is mostly for casual gamers with still 1080 monitor or tv..Talking about helding back we seeing all latest multiplats games where the XsX is very very very likely to come up with the best version or get as mininum parity with the PS5 version ....if we talk about first party exclusives i think they will take care of the two console with great attention ...so what your concern about ?
Where exactly I talked of a personal concern? I just reported many developers blamed series S to pared back the multiplatform development, not just playstation fanboy. Not everything scale linearly they also said.

Last edited:

Riky

$MSFT
It was. Jason Ronald made that clear when he said 'same great next-gen experience just at a reduced rendering resolution'.

JwsgoiM.jpg

7t926c8.jpg

W5snXSa.jpg
Some consoles say 8k on the box but can't even output it, what's something is "designed" to do isn't a guarantee, we've been over this a hundred times, I'll break out the Verge interview quote before launch if you like?

Also spamming the same picture in multiple threads is a bannable offence is it not? Sure I fell foul of that, maybe the mods need to look at this.

Last edited:
It’s supposed to have identical features as the series x at lower resolutions per game. It doesn’t always.
What features is it missing Frank? Quick resume? Velocity architecture? An SSD? What company has ever promised all games would 'always' use all features? The PS5 has 4k on the box. Returnal runs at an internal 1080p resolution. Was Sony lying about PS5's capabilities?

Lognor

Banned
It was. Jason Ronald made that clear when he said 'same great next-gen experience just at a reduced rendering resolution'.

JwsgoiM.jpg

7t926c8.jpg

W5snXSa.jpg
And what next gen experiences are series s owners missing out on? How many XSX games have skipped XSS entirely? How has game design been materially altered by games on the Series S?

Riky

$MSFT
And what next gen experiences are series s owners missing out on? How many XSX games have skipped XSS entirely? How has game design been materially altered by games on the Series S?

None it's just visual features, which is what you would expect from a 4tflop console compared to a 12tflop one. Since the saves are cross compatible the game has to be complete in a gameplay sense, which they always are.

DarkMage619 DarkMage619 when the Series S doesn't have the same features as the Series X:

DarkMage619 DarkMage619 when the Series S does have the same features as the Series X:

So dependant on the situation, "Jason was right it's the same experience like he said", or "Jason never said it would be the same experience".

say-what-dunno.gif
Jason said the XSS has the same feature set as the XSX not one detractor can point out the missing features. What is missing? The experience is always the same. Only imaginary standards aren't met by people who don't own the system.

Some consoles say 8k on the box but can't even output it, what's something is "designed" to do isn't a guarantee, we've been over this a hundred times, I'll break out the Verge interview quote before launch if you like?

Also spamming the same picture in multiple threads is a bannable offence is it not? Sure I fell foul of that, maybe the mods need to look at this.
It's interesting because Sony says the ps5 is designed for near instant loading and the best we have is what 2 seconds? That's like an infinite amount longer than an instant, how is that near instant? I'm gonna start complaining in every thread that if they can measure loading in anything under a thousandth of a second Sony lied and should change it's marketing.

Last edited:

dcmk7

Banned

In analysis of newly released games we often see it missing either entire modes, next gen features such as RT or different frame-rate settings in titles, etc.. and in the worst cases it's a combination of them.

There are some which are the same experience but they seem to be the exception rather than the rule imo.

So to answer your question it depends on the title but usually the experience does vary.

FrankWza

That's saying what's it's designed for. Can you show me where they say it will always be identical? Thanks Godspeed
Identical except resolution. It’s right there for you to see.
I've just told you Ronald said different before launch.
So then it’s not the SAME next gen experience at lower resolutions? If you don’t have Ray tracing in guardians that series x has and you don’t have the 120fps support that series x has in halo. Is that what we’re saying?
What features is it missing Frank? Quick resume? Velocity architecture? An SSD? What company has ever promised all games would 'always' use all features? The PS5 has 4k on the box. Returnal runs at an internal 1080p resolution. Was Sony lying about PS5's capabilities?
Who’s talking about what’s on the box? You said and you quoted that the s was the exact same as the x at lower resolution. Now we have features missing from those SAME games. We’re not talking about having every option in every game. The s was supposed to have EVERYTHING the x has on a game to game basis at lower resolutions.

The Microsoft Cuck Brigade out here trying to link up and fight for their lives

"NEAR" instant. You wrote it out and so do the developers including Sony's 1st party studios when describing load times. Going from 1min 30sec load times to 2-3 seconds is near instant. It's funny how you guys consistently move the goal post to fit your narrative instead of just saying I was wrong and/or misinformed or try to use semantics when arguing but can't apply it to your own argument.
Instant is a moment in time so if I can press a button and notice waiting it's not near instant. Or maybe I'm just being a shit head to draw attention to the shit head nature of those complaining about the XSS.

GHG

Gold Member
Jason said the XSS has the same feature set as the XSX not one detractor can point out the missing features. What is missing? The experience is always the same. Only imaginary standards aren't met by people who don't own the system.

Man, you guys really have no shame.

If in doubt:
  1. Bring up the PS5 (or "other systems" nudge nudge wink wink) despite it being unrelated to what's being discussed.
  2. Gatekeep and moan about people who aren't owners of the system commenting
Anything to get away from the topic at hand huh?

How about you address the fact that you're willing to deny what was said regarding the Series S in some situations but will celebrate and feel vindicated about what was said in others?

You can't have it both ways.

By the way, as far as the guardians of the galaxy goes, the experience is not the same on both the Series S and the Series X. The Series S would need to have a ray tracing mode for that to be the case.

Last edited:

Lognor

Banned
In analysis of newly released games we often see it missing either entire modes, next gen features such as RT or different frame-rate settings in titles, etc.. and in the worst cases it's a combination of them.

There are some which are the same experience but they seem to be the exception rather than the rule imo.

So to answer your question it depends on the title but usually the experience does vary.
Entire modes? You mean entire game modes? Or you're talking about graphical features? I don't think there has been a single instance of a XSX game skipping the XSS or a game mode being removed from the XSS version of a game. If you can show otherwise, please do

Riky

$MSFT

So then it’s not the SAME next gen experience at lower resolutions? If you don’t have Ray tracing in guardians that series x has and you don’t have the 120fps support that series x has in halo. Is that what we’re saying?
Because Microsoft's definition of "next gen experience" is things like loading and quick resume as the video states if you watch it all.
The stuff your talking about is visual features which Ronald said can be different depending on developer choice.
This isn't hard to understand, the game saves work across the consoles so gameplay is always intact.

Riky

$MSFT
The Microsoft Cuck Brigade out here trying to link up and fight for their lives

"NEAR" instant. You wrote it out and so do the developers including Sony's 1st party studios when describing load times. Going from 1min 30sec load times to 2-3 seconds is near instant. It's funny how you guys consistently move the goal post to fit your narrative instead of just saying I was wrong and/or misinformed or try to use semantics when arguing but can't apply it to your own argument.
OmbTd5a.jpg

Funny how some developers do better than others eh, not really what Sony promised.

If in doubt:
  1. Bring up the PS5 (or "other systems" nudge nudge wink wink) despite it being unrelated to what's being discussed.

How about you address the fact that you're willing to deny what was said regarding the Series S in some situations but will celebrate and feel vindicated about what was said in others?

By the way, as far as the guardians of the galaxy goes, the experience is not the same on both the Series S and the Series X. The Series S would need to have a ray tracing mode for that to be the case.
I think you and others are trying to make the word experience mean exactly the same, but it doesn't. Use the word experience in any sentence and it will never be used as exactly, only ever similar.

Riky

$MSFT
It's more funny that you have a folder on your desktop with these images ready for these instances but you still can't admit when you are wrong or misinformed. You prepared yourself to wallow in this shit because you know you've already dug too deep of a hole.
So that's instant loading?
Think you might be the one who is wrong and can't admit it.

Who’s talking about what’s on the box? You said and you quoted that the s was the exact same as the x at lower resolution. Now we have features missing from those SAME games. We’re not talking about having every option in every game. The s was supposed to have EVERYTHING the x has on a game to game basis at lower resolutions.
And who controls what game modes are in a game Frank? MS or the developer? MS created a system that has all the same features at a lower resolution. If a developer chooses to not implement a feature that is up to that developer. Just like when Watchdogs Legion and the Matrix Demo had raytracing some games might not. It is a developer decision. Hell THIS GAME didn't launch with raytracing on the higher end consoles it didn't mean that the systems could not run the feature.

Can you give any examples of games that are missing actual content like levels or characters on the XSS? Normal people who say being able to play the same game with your friends is giving the same experience not 120fps modes which a small subset of people actually use. The 120 XSX mode on Halo apparently rarely hits that number and again the XSS has more 120fps titles than systems that cost hundreds more. Of course if you can provide a list of the features the XSX has that the XSS lacks you can report MS to the BBB for false advertising.

Been saying…

He is team green’s thelastword thelastword
youtube lol GIF

Snake29

RSI Employee of the Year
So that's instant loading?
Think you might be the one who is wrong and can't admit it.

Were are the "plays best on XSX"? or "True 4K"?, what about the 12TF of power of the worlds "most powerful" console? Were is the 30% gab between the 2 consoles?

So far in all new games, it's the XSX that didn't showed anything mightblowing over the PS5. In fact the PS5 showed that it is outperforming the XSX in more areas then only "resolution".

Imo, PS fans have the right to laugh hard at you guys, after all that shit from last year.

Riky

$MSFT
Were are the "plays best on XSX"? or "True 4K"?, what about the 12TF of power of the worlds "most powerful" console? Were is the 30% gab between the 2 consoles?

So far in all new games, it's the XSX that didn't showed anything mightblowing over the PS5. In fact the PS5 showed that it is outperforming the XSX in more areas then only "resolution".

Imo, PS fans have the right to laugh hard at you guys, after all that shit from last year.

There are plenty of games like Doom Eternal, Metro Exodus, Hitman 3 and Far Cry 6 that show the resolution difference, sometimes by 40% or more.

And who controls what game modes are in a game Frank? MS or the developer? MS created a system that has all the same features at a lower resolution. If a developer chooses to not implement a feature that is up to that developer. Just like when Watchdogs Legion and the Matrix Demo had raytracing some games might not. It is a developer decision. Hell THIS GAME didn't launch with raytracing on the higher end consoles it didn't mean that the systems could not run the feature.

Can you give any examples of games that are missing actual content like levels or characters on the XSS? Normal people who say being able to play the same game with your friends is giving the same experience not 120fps modes which a small subset of people actually use. The 120 XSX mode on Halo apparently rarely hits that number and again the XSS has more 120fps titles than systems that cost hundreds more. Of course if you can provide a list of the features the XSX has that the XSS lacks you can report MS to the BBB for false advertising.

youtube lol GIF
Here's a great example. I've played gog in RT mode for 1000 hours and beat it countless times. My friend is just starting on XSS and asks for some pointers in the game. Would I give him help or would I tell him I have no experience because RT is not available?
Pretty sure I'd get a dick punch if I tried the latter.

Snake29

RSI Employee of the Year
There are plenty of games like Doom Eternal, Metro Exodus, Hitman 3 and Far Cry 6 that show the resolution difference, sometimes by 40% or more.

See resolution "difference" if that is really the only difference between the 2 consoles. then the XSX is showing that it isn't really designed well compared to the PS5. The console isn’t able to produce:

- Better graphics
- Better Resolution
- Better performance

All at the same time. No the only thing we see is a small res difference in most cases and they are all dynamic. Even the XSX is not a true 4K console, something MS wanted you to believe.

Complete waste... but yeah, MS never said all of these things right? Better just ignore it quickly and change the goalpost.

Last edited:
Here's a great example. I've played gog in RT mode for 1000 hours and beat it countless times. My friend is just starting on XSS and asks for some pointers in the game. Would I give him help or would I tell him I have no experience because RT is not available?
Pretty sure I'd get a dick punch if I tried the latter.
I have yet to see any actual logic with the criticisms. Apparently if raytracing is missing the game is completely different and MS has 'lied'. It has nothing to do with developer choices or the fact that no company has ever promised their system will use all features all the time. The XSS really makes people lose their minds.

Riky

$MSFT
See resolution "difference" if that is really the only difference between the 2 consoles. then the XSX is showing that it isn't really designed well compared to the PS5. It it's even able to have have:

- Better graphics
- Better Resolution
- Better performance

All at the same time. No the only thing we see is a small res difference in most cases and they are all dynamic. Even the XSX is not a true 4K console, something MS wanted you to believe.

Complete waste...

The difference is 17% so every time the resolution difference is higher the Series X is exceeding expectations.

Snake29

RSI Employee of the Year
The difference is 17% so every time the resolution difference is higher the Series X is exceeding expectations.

It's lacking in other areas. Resolution is the only part of these 3 things what you can't notice when you have games that use dynamic resolutions. We were told that the XSX would outperform the PS5 in all areas bacause of "12TF of power", "Full RDNA2" features?

Sorry but it's not showing any of it.

Last edited:

Riky

$MSFT
It's lacking in other places. Resolution is the only part of these 3 things what you can't notice when you have games that use dynamic resolutions. We are told that the XSX would outperform the PS5 in all areas bacause of "12TF of power", "Full RDNA2" features?

Sorry but it's not showing any of it.

Who said that? Links?
Also all the RDNA2 features haven't been used yet, two of them not once.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly

If in doubt:

To be fair the series s does deliver the same next gen experience in guardians of the galaxy you get 1080p and a nice completely unlocked wavering 60fps lol. Thank god for vrr! Kekw

FrankWza

Because Microsoft's definition of "next gen experience" is things like loading and quick resume as the video states if you watch it all.
The stuff your talking about is visual features which Ronald said can be different depending on developer choice.
This isn't hard to understand, the game saves work across the consoles so gameplay is always intact.
So, Ray tracing and 120fps are not next gen features anymore? I guess the s does require a lot of extra work that devs need to set aside that may be better spent on the main consoles.
And who controls what game modes are in a game Frank? MS or the developer?
Isn’t 343 a Microsoft first party developer? So that means Microsoft has control.
The 120 XSX mode on Halo apparently rarely hits that number
too bad it doesn’t work with the systems VRR on that game. I guess it wasn’t there when they really needed it?
To be fair to this guy, how many pr mouth pieces have said 4k, 60 fps, raytracing etc. There's 8k on these consoles boxes and they dont do anywhere near that shit on major games.

These consoles running at 1080p and 1440p etc to hit raytracing.
Again, nobody is saying that every feature must be in every game. That’s impossible. The point is, the s is supposed to have the exact feature set in the same game the x has at lower resolutions.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
So, Ray tracing and 120fps are not next gen features anymore? I guess the s does require a lot of extra work that devs need to set aside that may be better spent on the main consoles.

Isn’t 343 a Microsoft first party developer? So that means Microsoft has control.

too bad it doesn’t work with the systems VRR on that game. I guess it wasn’t there when they really needed it?

Again, nobody is saying that every feature must be in every game. That’s impossible. The point is, the s is supposed to have the exact feature set in the same game the x has at lower resolutions.

Well, hasn't the series s proven that it isn't the case?

I'm sure it will be extremely close in first party stuff but third parties will need to decide how much effort to put in. Fingers crossed MS keeps improving the dev tools to make it easier as time goes on.

But yeah, I agree the series s hasn't delivered the exact same experience as the x on all games but at a lower res. Doesn't really bother me though, I've still bought one and look forward to using it in the spare room and to take with me if I travel.

Last edited:
The XSS supports both 120fps modes and raytracing. MS never said all games on the that system would use the features. That is a ridiculous standard.
343 is a developer like Ubi Soft. Both studios used different features of the systems they made games for. No one stated they had to use the same features. Different games use different features.
VRR is supported on more games on the XSS than any games on a system that costs more. If that is a feature that is important to you the XSS has you covered.
The XSS DOES have the same features. If you acknowledge that it is insane that it has to support all the features in every game all the time, what are you even talking about? What is the point you are making?

No, it's supposed to have the same experience. You are deciding that means the exact feature set.

Riky

$MSFT

That isn't the point, because Jason Ronald said different before launch as stated several times, this isn't difficult to grasp. Visual features will obviously need to be adjusted as it's a third as powerful as Series X, this doesn't affect the gameplay features, Ray Tracing is a visual feature.
Your save works between both consoles so the gameplay is complete.
You keep talking about VRR because one game doesn't use it yet, which may well be a bug for all we know, yet another console hasn't got a single game where it does work, despite being promised.

Last edited:

dcmk7

Banned
Again, nobody is saying that every feature must be in every game. That’s impossible. The point is, the s is supposed to have the exact feature set in the same game the x has at lower resolutions

MS never said all games on the that system would use the features. That is a ridiculous standard.

Either there is some really weak trolling and antagonising going on or someone can't read.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?

Frank .. my dude .. what is this hill that you're willing to die on ?

Series S has games with RT, it has games with 120hz support. That every game that may have those features on the bigger consoles doesn't have them on SS is not the consoles fault, its up to the developer how much time they're willing to optimize for the console. Time and budgeting often does not allow it.

This whole discussion is so weird, some of you guys are hinging way too hard on Jason's words from a marketing video. He also said 1440p in the vid yet more often than not, games are hitting 1080p or below.

The PS5 and SX boxes have 120FPS and 8K logos and we've had what .. 1 8K game only so far and a handful which do 120hz.

This whole argument is asinine.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom