• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DF - Guilty Gear Strive Beta: A Stunning 4K Showcase on PS5 - But What About PS4/Pro?

Fake

One of the most beautifully animated fighting games to date, Guilty Gear Strive's beta proved a huge succcess in showing the next evolution of Arc System Works' cel-shading. It uses Unreal Engine of course, but not as we usually see it - and builds on the tech used in DragonBall FighterZ to achieve stunning result at 4K on PS5. The PS4 and PS4 Pro systems run at significantly lower resolutions however, to maintain a solid 60fps performance - as Tom and Alex discuss.

Sumary:

- PS5 runs at native 4k (3840x2160p), no sight of DRS (Dynamic Resolution Scaler) so far
- 7:40, PS4, PRO and PS5 comparison
- Alex mention there is no temporal AA because could mess up the art style of the game and helps the native resolution, plus art directon quite perfect
- PRO runs at native 1080p (1920x1080)
- Base PS4 runs at native 864p (1536x864)
- On base PS4 there are some artefacts from DRS
- Perfomance, the game target 60 fps, but just like his previous brothers (Dragon Ball, GGxrd), there are animations at 30 to maintain the anime style nature of the game
- PS5 runs at 60 with some rare drops (12:27) between this fight with Axl vs Potemkin, to 57~59
- PRO runs 60 with some dips to the 55, more online, offline on the same stage the game maintain 60
- Base PS4 runs at 60 without any drops in comparison with their big brothers, not even online
- Loading times (14:59), PS5 loads at 11:31, PRO at 18:46 and base PS4 at 21:21

Last edited:

SSfox

It looks stunning on PS4 already, and of course even much better on PS5. This isn't one of the those cross gen case situation where the current gen version look like shit like BF4 PS3 or Cyberpunk PS4/XOne

Last edited:
Comparing DB FighterZ to Guilty Gear in this video was a huge waste of time, as ArcSys last game they developed (Granblue Fantasy Versus) was already a massive step up from that.

regawdless

Banned
I always LOVE their visual style and presentation. Made me buy one of the PS4 games. Which I dropped after 10min because it's not my kind of game, unfortunately.

This looks amazing, again.

Last edited:
Gorgeous. Wish we could get some 2D brawler/beat-em-ups of this caliber. Imagine a modern Golden Axe with all this detail/animation/style. Mmmmm!
The closest to a 2D brawler with these graphics is the RPG/Story mode from Granblue Fantasy Versus (Arc Sys last game, the one after FighterZ).

Story/RPG mode is around 8 hours, but it's obvious that this was just tacked on. It's not very deep and easy to play through.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
- PS5 runs at 60 with some rare drops (12:27) between this fight with Axl vs Potemkin, to 57~59
- PRO runs 60 with some dips to the 55, more online, offline on the same stage the game maintain 60
- Base PS4 runs at 60 without any drops in comparison with their big brothers, not even online
PS4 runs better than PS4 Pro and PS5. Best version to play on since fighting games need uber responsiveness.

Last edited:

YCoCg

A bit late to the party DF, the beta's been over for like 5 days! Might as well wait for the game's release.
When they rush videos out they get hate, when they take some time to nail down the details, they get hate. They even cited VG in this video and talk about his comparison and how it lined up with their results as confirmation, etc.

Keihart

During the beta, in base PS4, if you turn on matchmaking during training mode and select the option to start the matches instantly, the game started to load before you even get the Daredevil notification, pretty cool stuff.

When they rush videos out they get hate, when they take some time to nail down the details, they get hate. They even cited VG in this video and talk about his comparison and how it lined up with their results as confirmation, etc.
Hey I'm a fan not a hater, i'm only pointing out the fact that their analysis by this point is extremely useless now that the beta is over and the game's release is a month away.

KAOS

Absolutely beautiful game! Just let Arc Systems make all 2-D fighting games from here on out! Just hope Arc Systems doesn't forget that Xbox and Nintendo are out there as well!

Lethal01

Nobody making fighting games is anywhere near the same league as Arc Sys right now for fighting game visuals right now.

They are totally dominating and you can really only pit their own games against each other.

Top Bottom