• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DF: Halo Infinite PC Tech Review: Xbox Series X vs PC + Best Settings + Performance Analysis

onQ123

How does Halo Infinite on PC scale beyond Xbox Series X? What are the best balanced settings? How well does it perform and what are the tech issues that need addressing. Alex Battaglia has the definitive lowdown on the PC rendition of Halo Infinite. 00:00:00 Introduction 00:00:46 Settings overview, frame-time stutter issue, dynamic resolution 00:06:15 PC optimised settings + Xbox Series X Quality Mode Settings 00:17:52 CPU Performance Concerns 00:19:07 GPU Performance - Mid-range + High-End 00:21:56 Conclusion

Last edited:

Stuart360

Gold Member
I wonder if I can get 1080p60 with a 1060. Probably not.
I think you will be able to. I'm going to guess its similar level to the MP, which i could 1080p/60 max settings (minus the texture pack which caused crashing problems) with my 980ti, and i read on Steam people being able to 1080p/60 the game with a 1060.

9IdiglR.png

OZ9000

Banned
This looks pretty bad. I don't know why you would want to play this at 120FPS either - the compromises do not seem to be worth it.

G-DannY

This looks pretty bad. I don't know why you would want to play this at 120FPS either - the compromises do not seem to be worth it.

in the MP for me on XSX, 120fps is a no brainer, and going back to the more "defined and refined" 60fps mode is like playing at 0.5 speed

I don't give a fuck about "quality" of pixels or vegetation in a competitive arena shooter like this

Last edited:

Riky

$MSFT
Might get 1440p at 30fps out of my 5500XT, funny to see Alex asking for VRS settings. I remember the 2020 reveal when people were drawing big diagrams claiming every problem they saw was VRS, turns out the PC version doesn't even use it.

Now people understand why me and many others were not lamenting the lack of VRS on PS5 (if true)?
Yes, it may help performance, but with a visual coast. Even with VRS these games on SeX are having performance issues, while having noticeable degradation on image quality and even these strange "bugs" on Infinite.
As expected developers would use the feature badly and it's not worth it (for now).

GymWolf

Gold Member
The multy runs pretty well at 1440p60 on my 2070super, if the campaign is less demanding i can maybe try 1800p...

Now people understand why me and many others were not lamenting the lack of VRS on PS5 (if true)?
Yes, it may help performance, but with a visual coast. Even with VRS these games on SeX are having performance issues, while having noticeable degradation on image quality and even these strange "bugs" on Infinite.
As expected developers would use the feature badly and it's not worth it (for now).
If well implemented, the visual cost is not perceivable during normal gameplay. It's currently not well implemented in Halo, sadly.

MikeM

That VRS bug that Alex pointed out on the hand of MC looked terrible. I have also noticed it on Doom Eternal a few times as well while playing on Series X. I know its new tech and will get better with time, but so far i’ve been underwhelmed.

OZ9000

Banned
in the MP for me on XSX, 120fps is a no brainer, and going back to the more "defined and refined" 60fps mode is like playing at 0.5 speed

I don't give a fuck about "quality" of pixels or vegetation in a competitive arena shooter like this
The video was wholly focused on the SP, not MP.

I agree graphics aren't as important in multiplayer.

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
VRS is employed software wise on PS5 too. (CoD and etc, if you look at Vanguard, it runs well and it looks good. At least in SP.) I am not sure if you can escape it. As far as I am concerned, it's a good tech, but it has to be...how to say it nicely....skill fully used. The HW acceleration is probably just some z-buffer resolver.

Md Ray

Clearly more effort has been poured into the console versions than PC. Also, those frametimes being all-over the place when running at 120fps or above is puzzling. What's happening there? Lack of CPU optimization? Even the i9 is dipping under 120fps.

EDIT:
Is there 120fps mode in campaign on Xbox?

Last edited:

Riky

$MSFT
If well implemented, the visual cost is not perceivable during normal gameplay. It's currently not well implemented in Halo, sadly.
There are three different settings in Tier 2 VRS ranging from Performance to Quality, presuming this is using performance to save as many milliseconds as possible.

onQ123

Clearly more effort has been poured into the console versions than PC. Also, those frametimes being all-over the place when running at 120fps or above is puzzling. What's happening there? Lack of CPU optimization? Even the i9 is dipping under 120fps.

EDIT:
Is there 120fps mode in campaign on Xbox?
Only Series X has 120fps at the moment

Darsxx82

The reality is that you see the image degradation when they zoom 400% and compare with a native image next to it. If they didn't tell you, you wouldn't even know it exists.
The fact that even DF "regrets" that there is no option in the PC version says a lot. VRS has its goal and fulfills it like any other type of imaging software. In many cases, a greater impression of sharpness is preferable than the detail of elements far from the user's attention. It is an option, and as such it is up to the developer to see its use as appropriate or not. In the example of Doom Eternal (multiplataform thatuses tier 2) the impression of better IQ and also performance in the XSX version is preferable to the PS5 version.

That said, there are excellent use cases for VRS tier 2 and denying its worth only when you get a 400% zoom comparison is being unfair to technology and its purpose

winjer

Gold Member
I was expecting better from a Studio with the backing of Microsoft, and dealing with one of the biggest IPs in gamming.
It's not terrible, like GTA trilogy, but it's a bit underwhelming.

//DEVIL//

1- this game needs Dlss. This is not acceptable to be honest for a high profile game

2- wtf is wrong with the pc ports ? I have 5600x plus 3080 combo and I am still suffering to run the game at ultra wide 2k screen ( 3840x1440) .barely hit 90 frames on ultra everything

if I do high I lock the frames but Cmon this is a 3080 not 2070 :/

Leyasu

Banned
I'd take DLSS over VRS any day. Sadly, both are missing from the PC version.

343 Industries could learn a thing or two from id Software.
I think alot of studios could teach 343 a thing or two. They are going to push this out, then spend the next 6 months getting it finished..

A bit like the MCC situation. Just not as bad at launch, and hopefully shouldn't need too long to finish/fix. But a pattern none the less

Leyasu

Banned
I was expecting better from a Studio with the backing of Microsoft, and dealing with one of the biggest IPs in gamming.
The end product is only as good as the team making it. All the backing in the world won't change the outcome too much.

Pagusas

Elden Member
I'd take DLSS over VRS any day. Sadly, both are missing from the PC version.

343 Industries could learn a thing or two from id Software.

It looks like 343 is in bed with AMD on this one, so likely no DLSS. (that info is an assumption per the video stating RT is coming via AMD in a future update)

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Well, this is what happens when you force first party developers to do a simultaneous PC release. These guys are simply not ready for multiplat development. It took third party developers years to fill up enough positions to do multiplats without sacrificing one version over the other and they still launch most games in buggy states.

With Sony also going for PC releases, albeit staggered for now, I have very little hope for polished games in the future. I am sure PC gamers dont want this mess either. I am watching Alex drone on and on about External VSync vs DRS vs gysnc and im like kill me. I dont want to take an online course before I play a video game on PC. I'd rather they go the Rockstar route and release the best version they can on consoles then a year or 6 months later, release a PC version with all bells and whistles.

This simultanous release helps no one. The xbox version isnt polished. The PC version is a mess. No one wins here.

onQ123

They read the market & the best selling & most played games nowadays are not the best looking games or most polished games .

At the end of the day it's all about gameplay. Graphics is just something for us to go back & forth about online.

Last edited:

winjer

Gold Member
They read the market & the best selling & most played games nowadays are not the best looking games or most polished games .

At the end of the day it's all about gameplay. Graphics is just something for us to go back & forth about online.

That would be correct for most companies, but MS is the platform holder.
They need a flagship product that shows the capabilities of the console.
Sony already did a good showing with Ratchet and Clank.

MS has several fantastic looking titles. Forza Horizon 5, MS Flight Simulator, and even Gears Hivebusters. All those titles leverage the higher end systems quite well with only Flight Sim not being last gen.

Halo Infinite is a big game but big picture it still reviewed fantastically and will continue to get updates as times goes on. It is still fitting as a platform holder's title seeing how there aren't any other platform holders doing the same thing. Even Ratchet you mentioned isn't doing as much as Halo is seeing how Halo is multi platform AND multi player. The most important thing is gameplay and fun factor and few are saying Halo isn't fun to play. Tech issues get resolved games that aren't fun rarely do.

onQ123

They have Forza Horizon 5 for the people who just want something to show off with in online arguments .

Killzone , Driveclub , the game from Crytek & the one from Ready at Dawn that I can't seem to remember the names of lately all still look good until this day & was good for online back & forth but none of them sold well.

dcmk7

Banned

Unreal how R&C looks. It coming out within the first year of a consoles life is quite a feat.

Halo Infinite obviously isn't going to be able reach those levels, since it's held back by various platforms, but its looks a lot better than it did a year ago at least. To me it looks like Halo, which is all I wanted.

Last edited:

twilo99

Yea, the optimization in this game is pure garbage....

I hope they patch those annoying stutters too

The latest AMD driver fixed a huge portion of the issues I was having, mainly performance. My 6800xt was hovering around 80-100fps in multiplayer before the update and now I am pretty much locked at 165 fps maxing out my monitor... and its rather glorious. Same settings.

We'll see how the campaign does tomorrow.

CuNi

Gold Member
I wonder if they will have Day-1 patches that address performance.
Not that it runs bad, but I think I heard one or two reviewers talk about even 3080s only producing ~120FPS in 1080p, which would be a bummer. Hoped for closer to 200FPS in 1080p.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Can someone help me understand just why the fuck Alex is comparing an 8 tflops 2060 super with a 12 tflops xsx in a game that doesnt have ray tracing?

timestamped:

Am I going insane here or is he saying that the 2060 super should be performing like the xsx? He of all people should know that the xsx is roughly equivalent to 2080 in standard rasterization. Because MS told them about the Gears 5 xsx and PC benchmarks. Several games since then, especially AMD sponsored games perform even better than the 2080.

I dont know. I really dont like this bs subliminal messaging. This is not the first time. He's resorted to using 2060 Super in many console comparisons recently even those without ray tracing features. It makes zero fucking sense. Get that GPU outta there and use a 2080 or 2080 Super.

Riky

$MSFT
343 went back and fixed the most ridiculous small complaints in Halo MCC, I'm sure all issues will be dealt with eventually.

mansoor1980

Can someone help me understand just why the fuck Alex is comparing an 8 tflops 2060 super with a 12 tflops xsx in a game that doesnt have ray tracing?

timestamped:

Am I going insane here or is he saying that the 2060 super should be performing like the xsx? He of all people should know that the xsx is roughly equivalent to 2080 in standard rasterization. Because MS told them about the Gears 5 xsx and PC benchmarks. Several games since then, especially AMD sponsored games perform even better than the 2080.

I dont know. I really dont like this bs subliminal messaging. This is not the first time. He's resorted to using 2060 Super in many console comparisons recently even those without ray tracing features. It makes zero fucking sense. Get that GPU outta there and use a 2080 or 2080 Super.

you think he is downplaying xsx ? could be a PCMR agenda of his since he wont play the pc version until a patch fixes the issues

twilo99

Not that it runs bad, but I think I heard one or two reviewers talk about even 3080s only producing ~120FPS in 1080p, which would be a bummer. Hoped for closer to 200FPS in 1080p.

I think that on nvidia to unlock more performance with a driver update.

I was in the same situation with my 6800xt and after the latest driver update from AMD the game runs beautifully.

CuNi

Gold Member
I think that on nvidia to unlock more performance with a driver update.

I was in the same situation with my 6800xt and after the latest driver update from AMD the game runs beautifully.

MP was doing fine since the last technical preview, but some reviewers said that while MP ran great for them and indoor areas in the campaign, outdoor areas made the performance tank, which is a bit unsettling.
Let's wait that one last day and see if it's a more widespread issue, fixed with day 1 patch or just a isolated issue.

Man, I am so salty now. Wanted to take the days off from work but we got swamped with work I actually have to put in overtime the whole week and won't be able to play till the weekend.
Going to be so hard evading spoilers, considering many of my friends know I'm the "obsessed Halo guy" so they'll spam me questions/images etc.

Top Bottom