• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[DF] Horizon Zero Dawn PC: An Amazing Game Gets A Disappointing Port

Its ok. We still think PC is the most powerful platform. Nobody has changed their minds over this. Right?

It was outsourced to the same developers behind the awful Outer Worlds Switch port, and Batman: Return to Arkham. Of course the port was going to have massive issues. That said, Sony should have gotten Gureilla to do the port, or outsourced it to a porting house that actually is somewhat competent like Nixxes instead. Here's hoping they come and fix the mess that they made, similar to what SEGA had to do after a literally who porting house screwed up the Catherine Classic port.

Last edited:

Mister Wolf

Blame platform for dev incompetence.

Makes sense.

Glad you're on this site Thugnificient
tenor.gif

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
I have never in my life booted up a native PC game and had to wait 10-15 minutes while it compiles shaders and creates a cache.
CoD: Modern Warfare does this.

Also "PS4 emulator", holy shit, more like shitty game with shitty port. Not sure who wanted this Ubisoft inspired garbage. Bring back Killzone.

I just saw the video, ¨disappointing port'' is a huge exageration, the game works fine, runs great, but the guy had like 1 bug with setting the resolution.
Try watching with your eyes and listening with your ears next time.

• 40, 70 and even 100ms stutters making it virtually impossible to have a steady frame-pacing
  • Ultra settings barely look better than PS4 Pro but cut performance by half
  • Facial animations locked to 30fps
  • Broken V-Sync
  • Non-functioning native AF
  • Overly aggressive dynamic resolution scaling that drops the 4K of a 2080 Ti running at 55fps to 1080p
  • Abysmal performance on some cards. The 1060 in Alex's analysis performed around the level of a base PS4 at times

YCoCg

• 40, 70 and even 100ms stutters making it virtually impossible to have a steady frame-pacing
  • Broken V-Sync
  • Overly aggressive dynamic resolution scaling that drops the 4K of a 2080 Ti running at 55fps to 1080p
  • Abysmal performance on some cards. The 1060 in Alex's analysis performed around the level of a base PS4 at times
You also missed out how the new foliage movement is just warping that's locked at 30fps too.

VFXVeteran

Banned
Where is VFXVeteran VFXVeteran to tell us about the port and the power of PC,

Run away !

I can't help it if their team came into some snags with the graphics features.

_Spr_Drnk

Banned
Well it's easier to optimise for consoles with homogeneous archtectures/hardware, innit? Hasn't this been our console warrior mantra for a while now? I accept the PC will always have the best theoretical power, but I want to spend my limited gaming time gaming, not tweaking.

DonF

• Broken V-Sync
he admited that his pci settings where off. That fixed a lot. The game runs fine, it has some stutters but saying its a disappointing port is kinda disingenuous knowing that most people will never try the settings he is trying.
The way he compares the clouds settings is so dumb, thats whats called optimization. If you want to 800x zoom things to see a difference and then complain about minor differences but huge impact on performance, thats exactly what optimization is.
Facial animations locked @ 30 is expected for a port that wasnt designed from the ground up to run at higer frame rates, many ports do this.
Most of the others things are a patch away.

he admited that his pci settings where off. That fixed a lot. The game runs fine, it has some stutters but saying its a disappointing port is kinda disingenuous knowing that most people will never try the settings he is trying.
The way he compares the clouds settings is so dumb, thats whats called optimization. If you want to 800x zoom things to see a difference and then complain about minor differences but huge impact on performance, thats exactly what optimization is.
Facial animations locked @ 30 is expected for a port that wasnt designed from the ground up to run at higer frame rates, many ports do this.
Most of the others things are a patch away.
Bullshit he didn't. The PCIe bandwidth problem was an issue he had with his RTX 2080 Ti dropping frames and being underutilized for no reason. Performance after swapping out the card to a different slot was still shit. Just not as shit and the 1060 didn't have that problem.

The rest is you being dishonest as fuck and excusing a shit port.

Was it 6GB or 3GB 1060?
Didn't specify but I would assume 6GB.

Last edited:

psorcerer

Banned
Bullshit he didn't. The PCIe bandwidth problem was an issue he had with his RTX 2080 Ti dropping frames and being underutilized for no reason. Performance after swapping out the card to a different slot was still shit. Just not as shit and the 1060 didn't have that problem.

The rest is you being dishonest as fuck and excusing a shit port.

Didn't specify but I would assume 6GB.

WTF is a "shit port"?
Is it running 30 fps as original? - yes.
It's not running 60-120-144fps? Tough luck, why time and money needs to be invested in making it run at higher fps? Cry somewhere else.

VFXVeteran

Banned
Well it's easier to optimise for consoles with homogeneous archtectures/hardware, innit? Hasn't this been our console warrior mantra for a while now? I accept the PC will always have the best theoretical power, but I want to spend my limited gaming time gaming, not tweaking.

The settings they did on the PS4 aren't considered optimized because the graphics features are less than. They just turned down expensive features to get it to run at their target res and FPS.

WTF is a "shit port"?
Is it running 30 fps as original? - yes.
It's not running 60-120-144fps? Tough luck, why time and money needs to be invested in making it run at higher fps? Cry somewhere else.
How about you get lost with your trolling? There is a 22 minutes video outlining a myriad of problems and your idiotic post is just "muh fps".

Don't waste my time.

Desaccorde

Someone pointed out an interesting aspect where AMD cards' hair physics are different than nVidia's, which is somehow correct. With the AMD ones, it moves like a single unit where with nVidia cards, it's much more smooth, life-like and has more movement/flow which might be causing serious FPS issues if the same thing applies to every fur/hair etc. Can be seen at 19:14.

Last edited:

Vawn

Banned
PlayStation remains the place to be for PlayStation games. They make their games specifically around their hardware, much like Nintendo. It's a big reason their games are always far ahead of the competition, even when running on similar or even lesser hardware.

It was a good experiment, but let's just keep PS first-party games solely on PS4/PS5.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
The game is sensitive to bandwidth.

You have to pre-compile shaders.

I think deep down this is running on some kind of PS4 emulator.

It's also a win for AMD GPU's.
You think a PC is running a PS4 emulator in 4k?
DecimalMaleDragon-size_restricted.gif

Anyway I thought this was supposed to be a good port?

Last edited:

ACESHIGH

Banned
Seems to be a nier automata -saints row 2 level port. hopefully the reception is negative on steam so that the game is fixed.

They should have released this by chistmas

Futaleufu

I have never in my life booted up a native PC game and had to wait 10-15 minutes while it compiles shaders and creates a cache.

The first time you load a game is the longest time its going to take. I remember the first time I loaded Doom on a nvme m.2 it took like 20 seconds to start a level, afterwards it took between 5-7 seconds.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Core i5 8400 and RX 5700 getting 60 fps at 1440p and PS4 Pro-level graphic presets doesn't sound too bad.

Does anyone know if the frame rate can go higher than 60?

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman
Already another thread. Please, post there:
Your thread has created at the same time.

Top Bottom