• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DF: If you're playing Apex Legends on Switch, turn cross-play off

ethomaz

Banned

Compounding these problems is the fact cross-play is enabled by default, putting Switch users at a real disadvantage to other platforms: just take a look at this Reddit post comparing what Switch players see versus those on Xbox. To be fair, with cross-play enabled Apex still largely grouped me with other Switch players, or at least those using controllers rather than mouse and keyboard. But there was a noticeable difference in quality between console players and the poor souls on Switch - you could tell just from someone's movement which platform they were using. On one occasion my entire squad of Switch players got slapped down by a single controller user, which was somewhat demotivating.

Thankfully, there's an option to disable cross-play tucked away in the gameplay settings. The queue times - although longer - weren't as bad as I had feared, with the longest queue taking about 30 seconds and the shortest a zippy 13 seconds. Then at least you know you're on a level playing field.

In some ways, it's remarkable that Apex Legends is running on Switch at all: large multiplayers are challenging to port at the best of times, and it sounds like Respawn and Panic Button had to build support from the ground-up for Apex Legends' engine on Switch. And, after all, this is a free-to-play game, so at least you can try it out before spending money on a battle pass. But I doubt that anyone who normally plays Apex on PC or console is going to play for long on Switch: it's a real climb-down from the pacy gameplay that defines this battle royale. I don't think anyone was expecting stellar performance on Switch, but the problems were significant enough to put me off playing entirely. It's there for Switch-only players, and it's a bit of fun as a novelty, but I don't think I'll be taking this battle royale on the go with me anytime soon.

Last edited:

e&e

Banned
Are any ports meant for multiple platform players? Sounds like a disingenuous comparison at best. The only reason you buy Switch games instead of another platform is if you put portability above all else! It’s the same idea if you prefer consoles instead of PC...

Last edited:

Dane

Why is it a disadvantage on Switch though?
If i'm correct, input lag being higher and tick calculations being worse on lower framerates, which is why in games like CSGO you have pro players/semi pro who plays at 720p low with the best hardware possible, it gives them advantage to be at the highest FPS possible.

Last edited:

ethomaz

Banned
Are any ports meant for multiple platform players? Sounds like a disingenuous comparison at best. The only reason you buy Switch games instead of another platform is if you put portability above all else! It’s the same idea if you prefer consoles instead of PC...
So why a cross-play option? And by default... that is what DF doesn’t understand.

IMO I already don’t like Crossplay in PS5 that is nowhere fucked like that in Switch.

But hey the SJW crossplay marketing created that cancer and companies entered in the boat lol

Last edited:

martino

I read it's got a locked FOV of 70... combined with the lower frame rate and analog stick aiming, and I certainly would not want to go up against PC players on that platform. Massive handicap.
70 !
images

e&e

Banned
So why a cross-play option? And by default... that is what DF doesn’t understand.

IMO I already don’t like Crossplay in PS5 that is nowhere fucked like that in Switch.

But hey the SJW crossplay marketing created that cancer.
You don’t understand my post, if I want to play Apex Legends on my Switch instead of my Xbox/PlayStation, it’s because I want the portability (doesn’t matter if I play cross play or not), not because I value a higher frame rate/image quality etc. Likewise if a single console owner owns the Switch version, why does it matter? I agree though it shouldn’t be on by default!

Doczu

So now they got Source running on Switch i can't see a reason to not be able to play Half Life 2 on it...
... Other than no one wanting to port it over...

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
Why is it a disadvantage on Switch though?
there are people on PC playing at framerates of 60-240fps on a 21-48" screen with 1080-2160p resolution. with a keyboard/mouse. and higher fov. also likely have wired connections.

pc players will destroy anyone playing on a platform with 30fps, 6.2" screen, low resolution, cramped fov, and over wifi.

Last edited:

Skifi28

My friend told me it's perfect and prefers playing it on the switch instead of his pc that's equipped with an RTX 3080.

Tell your friend I'm trading his 3080 for a GTX460 1GB. It's a great card for him to transfer his swich experience on a Desktop, the best of both worlds really. Guaranteed he'll love it.

Last edited:

Varteras

Gold Member
Cross-play is great if you're willing to limit the performance of other platforms to achieve it. Competitive FPS games have significant advantages on PC and cheating is also much more prevalent on there as well. A friend of mine plays Warzone and whenever there is cross-play you can almost immediately tell who is PC and who isn't. Ridiculous laser beam accuracy, faster response times, and they see you from wider angles. Not to mention wall hacks and aimbots. Really the only "fair" cross-play for Apex would be PlayStation and Xbox. Switch is too gimped and PC is.. well... for the reasons I already described.

Cross-play is great if you're willing to limit the performance of other platforms to achieve it. Competitive FPS games have significant advantages on PC and cheating is also much more prevalent on there as well. A friend of mine plays Warzone and whenever there is cross-play you can almost immediately tell who is PC and who isn't. Ridiculous laser beam accuracy, faster response times, and they see you from wider angles. Not to mention wall hacks and aimbots. Really the only "fair" cross-play for Apex would be PlayStation and Xbox. Switch is too gimped and PC is.. well... for the reasons I already described.
Wrong. Apex has such strong aim assist it's almost cheating

Doesn't make much sense enabling cross-play when you are at such a level of disadvantage. Not sure what people were expecting though. Seems like quite a heavy game to run on Switch. Huge maps, lots of player opponents. I'm guessing it's about as good as it can get, with perhaps some small improvement over time like slightly better dynamic resolution overall and a more stable 30 fps. Basically, take a look at Doom 2016 on switch, how it was when it came out, how it slightly improved over time. I can picture the same scenario happening. It's serviceable for a "on the go" experience, and I believe there isn't any other option, correct?

Varteras

Gold Member
Wrong. Apex has such strong aim assist it's almost cheating
Aim assist alone ain't gonna help, broseph. Not when someone is playing at 30 fps with a limited view and someone else at 120 with a very wide angle. I'm not sure what the cheating is like on Apex for PC but I know for Warzone it is stupid.

Aim assist alone ain't gonna help, broseph. Not when someone is playing at 30 fps with a limited view and someone else at 120 with a very wide angle. I'm not sure what the cheating is like on Apex for PC but I know for Warzone it is stupid.
Common cheaters. But Xbox or PS are fine against PC. I know a lot of diamonds on console who play in PC lobbies only

CamHostage

Why not just git gud?

Maybe there will be some Switch players who turn out to be dynamite (some gamers swear by gyro aiming,) but it's a little hard to "git gud" when nearly half the "screen" is offscreen...

A lot of the technical compromises are what they are (the graphical complaints seem a little overblown to me, it's not a pretty port but it's not unrecognizable or unplayable as Apex Legends,) but 70° FOV / half-framerate in a multiplayer firefight is the proverbial knife being brought to a gunfight.

Doesn't make much sense enabling cross-play when you are at such a level of disadvantage.

Crossplay is a fine idea, in theory at least. It lets you find your friends to play, without everybody coordinating which console they own the game on or what controller they're using to play. (Also, it opens up the player base.) Crossplay is how online gaming should be. Just turn on and play with people.

In reality, there are of course so many complications and drawbacks to crossplay that make it almost a danger to itself as a concept.

We're still in the early days, and game makers are still trying things to have players all together in one big party without building walls (or at least to let actual friends play together without all having to throw tons of settings toggles in order to find each other to play,) but unity may ultimately be too challenging to promise anybody.

But hey the SJW crossplay marketing created that cancer and companies entered in the boat lol
..."SJW"?

Last edited:
Top Bottom