• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DF - Inside Demon's Souls Remake on PS5: The Bluepoint Technology Breakdown

VFXVeteran

Banned
You are so transparent, you are starting your little speech on how a Sony exclusive is doing nothing impressive technically and will toss any random PC game as a better looking game.

Nobody tells you anything when you hail Watch Dogs Legion, a very last gen game that runs on a toaster but has some ray tracing as the best graphics ever, let people be impressed with one of the few actual next gen games.
First of all, I never said Mortal Shell is better looking than DS. I said it was very similar in look from art to tech. Mortal Shell still doesn't have shadow casting light sources which puts it behind Demon Souls in my book.

For the record, I never claimed Watch Dogs Legion had the best graphics ever.

Each of these games does something unique and therefore is subjective. I genuinely was curious as to what Blue liked about the graphics in DS and wasn't trolling or looking for an argument at all. I have exhausted myself from trying to argue any graphics claims if you haven't noticed.

VFXVeteran

Banned
It is the best in gameplay, story, audio, and graphics.

Name another current gen game topping it in any of these categories.

Although maybe you think Flight Simulator has the best story and gameplay ever.
Gameplay is always a challenge in Souls' games. It's not for everyone but for a sword-fighting action RPG, it's ahead of the pack.

Story has never been a strong suite of the Souls games. I'm not sure why you would think it has better stories than other AAA games like TloU, RDR2, etc..

Audio is par the course for any game. I've never seen anyone rate a games' audio over another game. It is what it is.

Azurro

Banned
First of all, I never said Mortal Shell is better looking than DS. I said it was very similar in look from art to tech. Mortal Shell still doesn't have shadow casting light sources which puts it behind Demon Souls in my book.

For the record, I never claimed Watch Dogs Legion had the best graphics ever.

Each of these games does something unique and therefore is subjective. I genuinely was curious as to what Blue liked about the graphics in DS and wasn't trolling or looking for an argument at all. I have exhausted myself from trying to argue any graphics claims if you haven't noticed.

Come on, you are a known PCMR troll, nobody believes this. The game has been out since November and every single reviewer, every single impression singles out how it's visually stunning. However you here single out a person, put him in the spotlight and I'm sure you were ready to shoot down his opinion with technical jargon and in the end will offer random PC games like AC:Valhalla, Watch Dogs or your latest favorite, Mortal Shell as better looking because some random slider goes further to the right and some clouds are fluffier.

Just learn to accept that people think a next gen game looks great and move on.

Last edited:

Jon Neu

Banned
The games are so dissimilar, I'm not sure what there is to compare.

All games are dissimilar, that hasn't stopped everybody from comparing and arguing every week which one is the best looking game out there.

MFS has an unreal scope and it's literally photorealistic at times. That for me puts it beyond what DS does, which is frankly not that impressive for a "next gen" game.

Skifi28

All games are dissimilar, that hasn't stopped everybody from comparing and arguing every week which one is the best looking game out there.

MFS has an unreal scope and it's literally photorealistic at times. That for me puts it beyond what DS does, which is frankly not that impressive for a "next gen" game.

All games are dissimilar to a degree, but they have some similarity, something to compare. A flight sim is so far from a third person action RPG that I can't find anything to compare.

For example, how is photorealistic a win when the other game specifically doesn't go for photorealism? If I were to compare number of polygons on the screen and scene geometry detail, then Demon's Souls would be better, but that would hardly be a fair comparison either. You can just pick and choose something to fit your narrative and declare a "winner", but there isn't really one in this case. You can just say you prefer something without the e-peen "winning" part, nothing wrong with it.

Last edited:
Story has never been a strong suite of the Souls games. I'm not sure why you would think it has better stories than other AAA games like TloU, RDR2, etc..
Highly disagree. Lore is very popular in Souls games and keeps the community alive. Vaatividya's work alone is testament to how richly layered Souls stories are.

Besides, you are comparing cinematic vs non cinematic games. There is a difference. TLOU/RDR mostly tell their narratives through cut scenes. The "story" in the games is largely in CGI movies that you are watching. Souls is mostly through flavor text and dialog, level design, art design, object placement, etc. It is more like a tabletop RPG game's story. You are kind of comparing two different kinds of storytelling, apples and oranges. Story can be many things, it does not have to just be cinematics with heavy handed acting and musical cues. Videogames can incorporate all kinds of media in their storytelling.

Souls flavor text and dialog is of exceptional quality. Would put it up there with the best in high fantasy. It is as good as reading classic fantasy literature. For this reason alone I would rather enjoy it's story than the usual cinematic storytelling. Personally, I prefer books. The names chosen for things, the way worldbuilding is done with flavor text, all this stuff is storytelling. And in DeS it is exceptionally done. So many wonderful characters with conflicting and interacting motivations. All of this is wonderful storytelling.

I think TLOU and RDR get by a lot on style. They look like prestigue tv, which is good, so obviously they have to be good. You can dazzle people with style and there is a lot of good production quality these days, dazzling people with style.

Last edited:

SSfox

Which is a good indicator of how lame next gen has been so far. A remake that doesn't offer a generational leap at all, even with it's corridor like scenarios with super low NPC count that should have made the game look much much better. RDR2 on PC beats it's ass for Christmas and it's not even close.

As Jim Ryan said, seems we'll have to wait until 2022 to see actual next gen games.
To be fair it's a usual thing in start gen and it make sens you won't have 10 mindblowing games at launch of a gen, and for me it's better already than ps4 and ps3 gen, plus this gen, there is Demon Souls remake of legendary game and super well remade as well, also there's PS4 BC, in PS2 era there was TTT1 that i was so crazy about i can't even express with words how much, but as poor af kid couldn't afford PS2 until years later, i remember the first screenshot i downloaded in the internet ever it was ttt1 Hwoarang VS Jin screen that took me 5 minutes to load, then print it in cybercafe for 50 cents, which was a crazy amount of money for me lol.

Last edited:

Jon Neu

Banned
All games are dissimilar to a degree, but they have some similarity, something to compare. A flight sim is so far from a third person action RPG that I can't find anything to compare.

For example, how is photorealistic a win when the other game specifically doesn't go for photorealism? If I were to compare number of polygons on the screen and scene geometry detail, then Demon's Souls would be better, but that would hardly be a fair comparison either. You can just pick and choose something to fit your narrative and declare a "winner", but there isn't really one in this case.

You can compare the graphical feats of both games, doesn't matter the genre. And again, MFS has UNREAL scope never seen before that absolutely beats into oblivion the next game in line, and also photorealistic like graphics.

Those 2 feats are more impressive than what DS does with it's super small scenarios and super low amount of NPC's. It's a game that in 2 years we are going to look back and see how mediocre it's graphics were for a next gen only title, while MFS it's going to be the next Crysis.

Top Bottom