• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[DF] Intel Core i5 10600K Review vs Ryzen 5 3600X / Ryzen 7 3700X - Gaming Benchmarks + Stress Tests

Kenpachii

I'm talking about his specific situation as of today, along with the realities of what he already has in his possession and what is available in stores. Specifically why the 10700K?

?

Read what i said. I explained it in there.

ill be going the 4800 or 4900 depending on the cost for the next upgrade. I’ll be upgrading from i7-3930k so it’s time for an upgrade.

Probably best. 3930k probably has some fuel left in it. Specially with next gen boxes not being out just yet.

Well, even with the 8 core CPU in the current consoles, games don't see much benefit scaling beyond 4 physical cores on the PC. And I haven't been able to find any dedicated PC games that scale well to more cores either.

So it remains to be seen how well developers will be able to take advantage of the extra cores/threads.

PC with 4 cores steamrolled the 8 cores on PS4.
PS5 with 8 cores ryzen steamroll 4 cores on PC.

See the difference?

PS5 with its 7 cores will equal a 10600k at maximum overlock. There is no room left here anymore and aspecting people to have a 10600k at 5ghz isn't something devs want to focus on. So either they drop the quality on PC in comparison towards what consoles could deliver on the CPU front, or they simple code for any 8 core newer generation CPU and call it a day which is far more likely.

6 cores will probably be fine once amd shifts to 5nm and intel shifts to lower nm then what they got now to get 30% or whatever boost in performance again. This is why i stated there is no point in getting anything but 8 cores in the current climate if you upgrade, and even for the next series of cpu's. Because they will comfortable outmuscles consoles through pc having far less overhead on the CPU front then consoles next generation that will also help a bit out here.

Game developers don't typically optimise for specific CPU's. Either the program is better suited to one manufacturer's instruction set implementation or it's not.

The only time something like this happens is if there is a completely new line of chips that doesn't build on the architecture of previous chips (see bulldozer to Zen). Zen 2 -> zen 3 doesn't represent a step like this. The underlying socket, architecture and instruction set implementation will remain the same - so the same code will run better on Zen 3 compared to Zen 2 without any changes being made.

As for everything else, time will tell. But I've never seen anyone who intends to keep their PC for a long time say they wish they bought less cores when it was an option at the time of buying.

I'm of the opinion that you should get the best you can at the time of buying then run it into the ground.

Game developers don't typically optimise for specific CPU's. Either the program is better suited to one manufacturer's instruction set implementation or it's not.

As for everything else, time will tell. But I've never seen anyone who intends to keep their PC for a long time say they wish they bought less cores when it was an option at the time of buying.

They indeed don't typically optimize for a specific CPU and that's exactly why buying into a CPU that could theoretically push PS5 performance isn't the smartest thing to do. Basically buying a 6 core top end cpu at this point. This is why u need to buy something that can comfortable run something without much bottlenecks in the future which is a 8 core cpu, as the entire marked will revolve around it at first to compete with consoles.
Further down the line we could see even a core reduction on usage because cpu's will outmuscle consoles massively as result core for core performance wise through natural progression on cpu tech. which makes more cores even less likely being used then 8 or needed. Also a reason why buying 8 core 1700 ryzen was kinda useless when it released.

The only time something like this happens is if there is a completely new line of chips that doesn't build on the architecture of previous chips (see bulldozer to Zen). Zen 2 -> zen 3 doesn't represent a step like this. The underlying socket, architecture and instruction set implementation will remain the same - so the same code will run better on Zen 3 compared to Zen 2 without any changes being made.

There is a massive difference between ryzen 1 and 2 and frankly with zen 2 being such a rollercoaster of performance output much like what ryzen 1000 was when it released and stupid as cpu benchmarks that showcase you stuff like this.

"look everythign is the same, nobody plays 1080p anymore guys, so yea all cpu's are the same" ( the same dumbass logic people are using today with validating CPU's they buy because they are utterly clueless on how CPU bottlenecked current games already are let alone next gen ).

index.php

Then a year later this happens.

237f4690506497cb6a2bba03bbe40a99.jpg

And low 40's with stutter on odyssey, sure makes you think twice about the current 3000 series when next gen games arrive and ryzen 5000 series are on the table. With intel 7700k / 8700k and 9900k all being less then 5 fps away from eachother in current games.

Yet with intel:

9f6dade22ae7ab4fcbfcf7c06fd95384.png

While the benchmarks are trash so don't look at the outcome, the reason i post them is that stability in performance with older chips on intel is far more solid then what AMD is currently doing. The way they release every single year a new cpu series that drastically improves also invalidates there old cpu's far more faster to the point its a rollercoaster of performance output. Even benchmarks today don't bother with ryzen 1000 anymore but yet have no issue reporting on intel cpu's out of that time period as result.

That's why i mentioned i would not remotely upgrade towards the 3000 series anymore at this point unless u can get it cheap, either buy a 10700k ( basically 8 core ryzen 4000 ) which will have stable performance all throughout next generation or wait on the 4000 series cpu's to launch for a better architecture that is getting supported for a bit longer as result becasue when next gen games come out 5000 series is probably with its new motherboards and architecture on the market from AMD already and the 3000 will not be even looked at anymore remotely as result. They are pretty much 1000 ryzen chips. And if they age better then the 1000 series? who knows. But it sure doesn't look in favor for them. Intel however that 10700k will run games perfectly fine when the 11700k is on the market.

Last edited:

FireFly

PC with 4 cores steamrolled the 8 cores on PS4.
PS5 with 8 cores ryzen steamroll 4 cores on PC.

See the difference?

PS5 with its 7 cores will equal a 10600k at maximum overlock. There is no room left here anymore and aspecting people to have a 10600k at 5ghz isn't something devs want to focus on. So either they drop the quality on PC in comparison towards what consoles could deliver on the CPU front, or they simple code for any 8 core newer generation CPU and call it a day which is far more likely.
That's assuming developers will able to scale performance linearly with core count, which is precisely what is in question. Has there been a game showing even a 30% increase when going from 4 to 8 cores?

Top Bottom