• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DF/JF: Battlefield 4 PS4 vs XB1 videos/screens (900p PS4, 720p XB1)

Lace

Both seem pretty close from the YouTube video. Although those crushed blacks on the Xbox are sad to see, so much lost detail.

Replicant

This is the kind of shit I'm talking about. How you can you say, well, this is just crushed blacks when these two images look like night and day compared to each other? The XO version makes it look he's got proper hair textures and the PS4 version looks like less textures and a cutscene running in compressed to all hell Bink video posted on Youtube.

I mean I'll take better performance over IQ. Hell, the DF analysis makes it sound like it runs better. But it doesn't look better. I mean, I play PC games. I know I can jack up my settings and get to play a really pretty game at 10 FPS, but I just don't see where the PS4 looks better. I just don't.

It looks like the PS4 footage on that one is off-screen TV capture thus the distortion in the UI.

AmyS

As I've said before in other threads, I plan to have the best of BOTH worlds.

That is, the PS4 version soon (by end of the year) and the PC version running on faily high-powered but not outrageously expensive PC centered around 1 or perhaps 2 GTX 780s (thanks to the recent price drop) which with Nvidia's awesome drivers. That'll allow me to eventually play the eventual Premium/Ultimate edition by the end of 2014 with all the DLC maps & content...Maybe even in Nvidia's stereoscopic 3D Vision.

As far as the next-gen console versions, both the PS4 and XBone camps should be happy that we'll soon be playing BF4 that's a very large improvement from both BF3 & BF4 on PS360.

madmackem

Since when did df become ms damage control. WOW that article trys everything to downplay the difference.

Looking past image quality matters, we do see a direct comparison in texture assets, lighting and effects. However, there is discrepancy between the next-gen consoles in the PS4's use of ambient occlusion - which looks comparable to the PC's horizon-based method (HBAO) on ultra settings. This effect creates a gentle shaded halo around your character's hands and gun while approaching walls, adding a sense of depth to 3D objects that would otherwise appear flat. It's a taxing process for any platform, but curiously there's no ambient occlusion to speak of whatsoever at these points on Xbox One

They play this one down with this

Its absence is easy to miss due to the inherently darker gamma in our captures, but it's a notable omission nevertheless.

IGN's capture...

009NMfz.jpg
Wow, df failed really bad.

sirap

NOTICE in this PC version picture...that the black guy's hair looks more like the PS4...than the Xbone...

Indeed. Xbone probably uses the same textures but is oversharpened and leveled as hell. Don't know what the folks at DF are drinking, but it must be expensive.

ghst

thanks for the laugh
you console types got awfully particular in the last six months.

i mean, i feel like the sort of person who makes crowing pixel-by-pixel screenshot comparisons shouldn't be feeling too good about playing games at less than the native resolution of their screen.

i'm just surprised dice bit the bullet and went for framerate. pretty admirable.

demolitio

Honestly, the fact that we need a close-up comparison of a very specific area on the screen switching back and forth shows how similar the platforms are.

How do we need a close-up comparison when the jaggies are easily noticed and even more noticeable in motion from the videos we've seen?

I think Dice has some explanation to do on whether the sharpening filter happening only on the XO version is their own intention or is that due to the XO's internal upscaler.

The sharpening filter is surely fooling alot of people think that XO version has better texture where it is clearly lacking high quality AO, poorer frame rate and lower resolution.

Battlefield 4 on PlayStation 4 looks stunning, with DICE clearly utilising the console’s additional firepower to yield a superior image quality on Sony’s machine. Images are pin-sharp, appearing to run at a native 1080p and fluid 60 frames per second. But while the Xbox One version effortlessly maintains the same frame-rate, the image quality is perceptibly worse, sporting a softer, jaggier look that carries all the hallmarks of a game upscaling from a sub full-HD resolution.

Videogamer.com

Some of you guys need to put down that pipe.

Lets remember that XBO uses the latest version of of Dirext X while the PS4 uses Open GL(if I remember right) Do people remember last generation how the Xbox shaders were slightly darker and eventually it all evened out.

Arkam

This thread is the best thing I have read all week.
its about a 50% split on which console versions "looks" better, with each side telling the other they are wrong for various reasons.

IMO all versions looked pretty good. Nothing earth shattering, but solid all a round.

border

Since when did df become ms damage control. WOW that article trys everything to downplay the difference.

It's kinda weird -- maybe you can chalk it up to different authors. They were happy to declare the PS3 version of GTA5 superior over what amounted to little more than "it has less blurry ground textures". But this time they go out of their way to downplay major PS4 advantages.

That's Ridge Racer PS2 quality shimmer on the Xbone version.

Lower texture detail, weak lighting, no clouds...seriously dawg...no clouds? The Xbone can't be running at the same image quality settings. I refuse to believe that. Looks more like a mixture of Med-High on PS4 and Low-Med on Xbone.

I'm sorry to say, but it seems like a half baked effort, even on the PS4. What is that atrocious post processing blur that's managed to mute every color on the screen?

SRTtoZ

Well, it's not just 720p aliasing, it's *sharpened* 720p aliasing. It's like someone decided that "screw it, this doesn't look bad enough, let's go all the way!"

Correct. Its the first thing I change when I buy a new TV or monitor. Contrast and sharpness.

PC version has the same texture as ps4.

And? Again. I'm not a techy or anything. Why does the weakest one look better than the others? I'm not an idiot. Well, I am. But come on? Really? You don't see the difference? If I was playing this on PC and I turned it up to Ultra settings, but high or medium settings looked better, I'd be confused. How can it just be crushed blacks or contrast settings on a TV. You really don't see the difference between the two? Please explain this to a lay person. How is that dude near-bald in one scene on the PS4 and in the other screen shot he's got textured bald stubble hair or whatever? I know what textures are. Why are textures muddy as shit on the better platforms but clearer on the XO?

thuway

you console types got awfully particular in the last six months.

i mean, i feel like the sort of person who makes crowing pixel-by-pixel screenshot comparisons shouldn't be feeling too good about playing games at less than the native resolution of their screen.

GTFO WITH THIS BULLSHIT. You come into a thread that is dedicated to discussing the differences between Xbox One and PlayStation 4, and instead of offering your opinion on the matter, you round folks up and call them "console types"?

Top Bottom