• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DF/JF: Battlefield 4 PS4 vs XB1 videos/screens (900p PS4, 720p XB1)

Xbox 360 and One always goes for a high contrast look, making Playstation images look more washed out. I don't like it. It disturbs the look, crushes the blacks, but I can understand why some prefer it that way.

artist

Banned
G8Ik2fL.png

Eek.
One is unlike the other, PC and PS4 confirmed BFF.

Who else is utterly baffled by the "Xbox looks better" statements? I just watched the two vids on a 47in plasma and the crushed blacks and jaggies looked hideous.

OmahaG8

I have both preordered. Am I the only person that saw this and thought, oh thank god, XB1 can hang? Of course, multi-plats will be bought on the PS4, but still. Feelin' good.

Krappadizzle

Gold Member
The mere fact that we have people disagreeing on which looks better says more than the actual video.

Yup.

I think we can all agree that the PC version looks the best, unequivocally. The differences between the Xbone and PS4 aren't as immediately substantial as I'd initially think they'd be. There is a difference, just not as big as I played up in my head.

can't really see a winner anywhere.

they look different. not really one is better or another in looks.

ps4 has better framerate though so good for that.

Curious what kinda pc can give similar performance (slightly lower than ultras, at 900p at 60 fps).

Om3ga

ps4 900p, PC wins
Depending on the PC you have you could also be forced play this in 720p and 900p on PC. 1080p is about the averaged this days, but you might not get 60fps. If you have the money, on high end pc's you're looking at 1440p/1600p. Not even talking about 3D and triple monitor setups.

Even if it was 1080 60fps. The PC could do 1080p 120fps. PC was always going to, "win". Comments like these are silly.

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
What the hell is going on with the textures in the x1 version. In some cases they are missing a huge amount of detail or too sharp.

Honestly are people trolling with the x1 looks better stuff. You are in good company with Gies apparently.

Crushed blacks, oversaturation, 720p, dropped frames (glaringly so in a few instances), noticeably worse aliasing.

No way any one who watched that whole video can say with a straight face the Xbox version is better...

Thank you. I don't understand the complaints with the PS4's contrast and gamma. You can actually see black detail on the PS4, what's so bad about that?

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
Neither looks great.

Interesting info on them not allowing them to play the online portion of the XBO version.

squallmx

The xbox one has a sharpening filter (dat edge enhancement) and crushed gamma... some people think that it looks better because of this...

nataku

So Sony fucked up the scaler again? Or did DF somehow mess up when encoding the video?

Because the PS4 footage is blurry as hell. It's PS3 vs 360 all over again.

EDIT:

MIGIcQ4.png

I don't know what the Xbone is doing to the textures, but it really doesn't look all that good. It's like contrast and sharpening post-process filters are getting applied or something.

Hmm, I suppose Xbone could be doing some sharpening?

badb0y

How can you not tell a difference there's a lot of shimmering on the Xbox One version. PS4 and PC look similar while Xbox One looks like a different build lol.

It's like they just amped the contrast way up on the Xbone version, which gives the illusion of crisper image quality. Which is fine, because it's mostly successful.

From the digital foundry article:

This should surely be a home run for Sony's console, but what is likely to be a software-based upscale to 1080p delivers less-than-stellar returns, and for better or worse leaves the Xbox One with an often crisper looking, albeit much more aliased image.

Its the PS4's Post Processing making the PS4 look less sharp not the XB1 creating some sharpness illusion.

MilkBeard

Yeah I think that is the craziest thing here. The framerate test.

This is the big thing here, I would say. Higher frame rate, overall higher FPS. Technically the PS4 version is superior.

On a side note, it seems like Msoft have been aware that the Xbox One will have a problem outputting a higher resolution, hence the custom scaler chip. Games will still definitely look good on the system.

However, I wonder how big the disparity will be in a couple of years.

gogogow

MIGIcQ4.png

I don't know what the Xbone is doing to the textures, but it really doesn't look all that good. It's like contrast and sharpening post-process filters are getting applied or something.

It seems the XO's textures has higher contrast and are sharpened to make up for the lower resolution. While people are saying the XO version is better looking, the PS4 version's look is actually closer to the PC version, with a softer image quality.

pargonta

This game just looks disappointing all around if you ask me.

how can you say that watching jackfrags video! my jaw is dropped on these spark effects... the speed of the ui... everything...

as a lifelong console gamer... this is amazing stuff. can't wait to play.

Dead

well not really...yet
The xbox one has a sharpening filter (dat edge enhancement) and crushed gamma... some people think that it looks better because of this...
Same people who walk into a store and think an LED set to torch mode might be the best looking thing ever?

Maybe...

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Man that sharpening applied to XB1 version looks nasty... Just let people enable that crap in their TV settings if they really want to, WTF.

Top Bottom