• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DF/JF: Battlefield 4 PS4 vs XB1 videos/screens (900p PS4, 720p XB1)

SegaShack

bf431qky.gif

Quick comparison from the jackfrag vids.

Thank you. I think more people need to watch jackfrag or IGN's videos instead of digital foundry. It shows that XB1 does not have crushed blacks in the game, it is DF's capture or video setting. There are tons of details that you can not see in DFs videos for the XB1 version of the game that are clearly present in jackfrag's and IGN's videos.

There is no secret conspiracy of MS (who did not make Battlefield) using a contrast filter to improve performance (if the same object has to appear on screen, why would darker lighting change the the load on the hardware anyways?).

I also don't think Digital Foundry purposefully messed with any footage, they just did somehow end up using 2 devices with different settings.

My take from this, both games have the same contrast. Xbox One version is more jagged in areas than the PS4 version. For the most part, the game looks pretty much the same on both though. I don't think either said has anything to complain about, and will get the same experience. Battlefield is a game being developed for many platforms. I think the best hardware comparisons would be games that are XB1/PS4 only.

alterno69

Banned
The PS4 version looks much better in that IGN video, especially the MP, the lihting alone looks more natural and the sharpness filter on the XO makes everything look noisy and the aliasing is out of hand.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Let me know if I'm missing anything

PS4 version has a higher resolution, has AA, has HBAO, and better motion blur at a higher average framerate. Why is there even a debate still going on?

jaypah

you console types got awfully particular in the last six months.

i mean, i feel like the sort of person who makes crowing pixel-by-pixel screenshot comparisons shouldn't be feeling too good about playing games at less than the native resolution of their screen.

i'm just surprised dice bit the bullet and went for framerate. pretty admirable.

*chuckles*

But yeah, those powerlines on the 180 version are....fucking yikes! That whole section looked like shit tbh. Overall people getting the 180 version shouldn't feel too bad, some playful ribbing aside. Naturally I wish my PC was up for it but I think I'll be fine with the PS4 version.

I'm amazed that Digital Foundry didn't go into detail about how the Xbox One version was a botched port that didn't take full advantage of all the balanced, low latency, eSRAM enabled power that Xbox One boasts over the PS4.

because it's not written by Richard Leadbetter, on topic there is clearly something wrong with the PS4 version. why is the IQ worse when it's running on a much higher resolution? i doubt it's the upscaler since it's pretty obvious even on youtube. the other issues is the textures where they're lower resolution even though the PS4 has more memory available for games and much more TMU units on the GPU.

RayMaker

Banned
Even on that one gif everyone says the XBO looks better, the PS4 still looks closer to the PC than the XBO does:

His head also looks more rounder in the X1 version.

does changing the contrast in the PS4 and PC version give him more hair and a rounder head

or is this the X1's secret sauce tech at work?

Will digital foundry and the other sites review retail copies of BF4 with their own equipment?

I'm starting to seriously dislike this preview event concept

keuja

Indeed. Xbone probably uses the same textures but is oversharpened and leveled as hell. Don't know what the folks at DF are drinking, but it must be expensive.

So wait…
Is DF having a different capture method (crushed RGP and sharpening post processing) than IGN or is it just how the X1 output the image?

PS4 version has a higher resolution, has AA, has HBAO, and better motion blur at a higher average framerate. Why is there even a debate still going on?

Because the game could look like an n64 game and a certain subset would still claim it looked better.

DF seems to have cheated literally when comparing trying to level the playing field. Ign and frags is proof of that i mean how how could it be not blatantly obvious they all got the same version

sTaTIx

Of course there is a difference favoring the PS4, but I can't help but laugh at people here looking to round up folks to send to reeducation camps on resolution.

On the first or second page there was literally this exchange:

"Huh, Xbox One looks better imo."
"You're wrong."

lol.

Get over it folks, not everyone is gonna be counting pixels.

Also on this page, "stupid people that don't know what to look for ruin it for those of us that do" . Fucking wow. Maybe you ruined it for yourself.

You're in denial mode. 720p = same resolution as 360 BF4 = same jaggies galore. You don't need to count pixels to know that Battlefield on 360 had a ton of jaggies.

Unfortunately, DICE seems to have botched the scaling on the PS4 version, leading to a slight blur over the whole image. But even then, it looks crisper, has more effects, and runs at a better framerate than the Xbone version.

The reason the Xbone version looks "better" to some stupid people at first glance (see first page) is because a) the crushed blacks (i.e., inaccurate), and b) a shitty artificial edge-sharpening effect. BOTH of these things can be easily replicated on the PS4 by turning up the contrast on your HDTV, and turning up the sharpness setting.

By their logic, the Xbone version also "looks better" than the PC version, lol.

Here it is one more time!!

XBOX ONE IS USING LIMITED RGB
XBox One DF Original Screen
H2f7BrY.png

RGB Levels "Limited" - No sharpen added
8ebTRDK.png

RGB Levels "Limited" - Sharpen Added
MX2DEGk.png

Crushing the levels to Limited RGB and "Sharpen More" (one time) for the PS4 picture replicates the XO results!

I hope this makes sense for you guys.

post again with original PS4 version also.
Your wish I my command!

DukeBobby

Everyone should watch the IGN multiplayer comparison.

When people are saying that the difference is huge, they aren't lying. The Xbox One version looks abysmal.

And? Again. I'm not a techy or anything. Why does the weakest one look better than the others? I'm not an idiot. Well, I am. But come on? Really? You don't see the difference? If I was playing this on PC and I turned it up to Ultra settings, but high or medium settings looked better, I'd be confused. How can it just be crushed blacks or contrast settings on a TV. You really don't see the difference between the two? Please explain this to a lay person. How is that dude near-bald in one scene on the PS4 and in the other screen shot he's got textured bald stubble hair or whatever? I know what textures are. Why are textures muddy as shit on the better platforms but clearer on the XO?

It's contrast, it's not actually sharper. Listen, if you think medium settings are better than high no one is stopping you from thinking medium is better. That's your prerogative.

AzaK

Again, you got that backwards, X1 has oversharpening, not the other way around... Scummy tactic to appeal to clueless.

Thanks for calling me clueless - you rock. What really matters in the end is how it looks and what's more appealing and to me, the sharper look is. However in the IGN videos you can definitely see the lack of resolution in distant fine lines which is a bit ugly.

When all's said and done though, looking at these comparisons they're basically the same when you're playing which is what we expect from third party games anyway.

Everyone should watch the IGN multiplayer comparison.

When people are saying that the difference is huge, they aren't lying. The Xbox One version looks abysmal.

To me, when switching my eyes back and forth they are pretty much the same unless you look closely at the details line fine lines.

Of course there is a difference favoring the PS4, but I can't help but laugh at people here looking to round up folks to send to reeducation camps on resolution.

On the first or second page there was literally this exchange:

"Huh, Xbox One looks better imo."
"You're wrong."

lol.

Get over it folks, not everyone is gonna be counting pixels.

Also on this page, "stupid people that don't know what to look for ruin it for those of us that do" . Fucking wow. Maybe you ruined it for yourself.

Except the Xbone version doesn't actually look like it does in the DF video. They artificially sharpened it and saturated the image. That's why I, and many others, thought it looked better initially.

So yeah, unless you have your TV calibrated like that, the Xbone version isn't going to look like that.

Also, calm down.

WoolyNinja

This DF comparison looking all messed up compared to everyone else (when they're supposed to be the experts????) along with their recent trend of Xbox One articles talking about "balance" etc. It's all starting to hurt DF's credibility.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
I know games are gonna get better over the generation graphically like every generation.

Still gulf on where I thought/wanted us to be this many years after the current 360/PS3 gen stated and what we actually are getting in disheartening.

Maybe I just expected to much, but IDK GAF. The more I actually see the closer we get to the launch of next gen the more I think... I've waited 8 years and this is what I get?!?!?

SRTtoZ

and thuway says its going to be even *worse* for Ghosts. How. I cant. even. imagine.

X1 looked better to me. But that might be because the contrast makes the textures seem more detailed, or maybe the PS4 has extra motion blur (or some shitty FXAA implementation).

But they're so close, the only thing that matters at this point is performance.

Okay after looking at it proper on my desktop monitor (not the el cheapo laptop monitor) it's become apparent how much detail is lost in XBONE's black crush, and the lower resolution is much more noticable.

it's not a big deal for xbone owners though.

stktt

Banned
So what's the reason for the X1 screens looking sharper? From my understanding, it's due to the upscaling form 900p to 1080p? Sorry, I'm not too familiar with the details.

Regardless, launch titles are hardly the best to compare. The multiplats for next holiday will be much more interesting to do comparisons on.

Thankfully, it seems to be an issue with DF's footage and not something inherent to the platform.

Top Bottom