• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DF/JF: Battlefield 4 PS4 vs XB1 videos/screens (900p PS4, 720p XB1)

dosh

Don't tell me things like that.

At least now I realize why CD Projekt RED continue to release those terribly oversharpened screenshots.
Each time I go to my friends' and we watch/play something on their tv, I die a little inside. When it's not plain factory settings, they have sharpness set at 100 and brightness/contrast are oversaturated. I'm not even an image nazi, but on huge 50" displays, the results are incredibly bad. And they seem to genuinely love it that way.

Piggus

Evidence!? Who the hell needs evidence when we got opinions. Also, it's all about that custom upscaler + sound chip combo. Get it right. ;P

You keep saying this... But you do realize that the sound chip is mainly used for Kinect audio processing, right? It doesn't provide any meaningful advantage as far as we know...

DBT85

I have tweeted at Jackfrags asking him if he can supply Blim with some of his footage. Maybe if enough other do the same we might get some.

Just thought i would give my 2 cents.

They both look shit.

You must be a noble descendant of the PC Master race, I welcome thee in our humble shack. May you not be offended by the stench and the lack of garnishment and opulence, please don't take our lives, you'd only sully your beautiful clothes with our unworthy blood...

TheD

The Detective
Haha, don't act like everyone in here is just pointing out that there's a difference in gamma levels and whatnot is doing so rationally and calmly. Hell, even if everyone else was, you still blew a massive gasket over it.

If me laughing at you getting angry over this is considered being heavily invested in it, then cool, I'm heavily invested in laughing at you.

Hey, that's great.

So you are laughing at me for calling you out for getting upset at people that dare to use some logic in this comparison......... right.

I somehow doubt you where even close to "rational" and "clam" when you started talking about "salt" and talking about people "cry"ing.

As I said it's kinda worthless with shitty video compression and gif on top, but here you go :/

10553180895_87dccf2422_o.gif

Pop-in is a bummer in both versions. Makes brightly lit parts in multiplayer look kinda ass.

bGanci

Banned
PS4 has a pretty huge margin in some screen and a negligible one in others. What most people defending the X1 are failing to realise is this is just the beginning.

I can't wait to see some 'second-phase' PS4 games (2015 onwards), shit is gonna be insane.

isn't this just the beginning for both consoles? or just PS4?

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Yeah, there is slight LOD difference on those two. Its not Medium to High settings difference though, otherwise all other elements would be affected.
Console version are not created to abide by PC config settings. Of course they are not going to switch everything off if it's just some of the things that are bogging down performance. I don't know why you'd think otherwise.

Into

Could someone please explain -- preferably in a non-condescending / defensive way pls -- why the PS4 version look so blurry compared to XBO in a lot of the pictures?

High and low contrast, this is something you can do on your TV with every game you own.

concept_contrast.jpg

design-contrast_examples.gif

Most of Digital Foundry footage has this difference, the IGN stuff does not.

As for which is better, its really up to the user to decide and set their TV or monitor accordingly. High contrast means that every color is on "steroids" ie. red is more red, yellow is more yellow, black is more black. If you look at the Xbox One DF shots everything is in high contrast

iJudged

Banned
The problem is that you can pick comparisons that favor either syste:

Here, the X0 version looks better to me:

While here, the PS4 is way better:

So I can definitely understand why there is no real consensus.

That said, objectively and seeing both versions in motion, the PS4 version wins by a huge margin.
OMG HOW CAN IT LOOK BETTER NO OCCLUSION NONAA No NOTHONG 5O9% LESS PIXELS SHADERS ARE CLUSTERFORMED ANDBLOOK AT TJATBLIGHTNING TAJMAHAL HAMANAHAMANAHAMANA.

Just saying... If you like the xbone looks, Ur an idiot here... Expect it

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
For all the shit talking of the last two days I was expecting something way worse than that... Got caught in the hype train once again!

It is pretty much worse than anything I was expecting. The difference is bigger than almost anything on previous generation. Its ridiculous.

Acheteedo

Just watched the videos:

Aliasing is bad on both
But aliasing is significantly better on PS4

Graphics look great on both
No real stand out winner in terms of graphics

Framerate is good on both
PS4 sticks to it better

So basically, if you have the choice of both, the choice is clear - PS4, but if you don't then it's not a problem at all.

I think DICE should be proud of what they've done for 2 launch titles.

sono

Gold Member
I am concerned that despite lower res the xbone one look clearer/sharper in some cases. Really need gamersyde type raw direct capture.

What happens with PS4 in going from a 900p render to output to a 1080p screen. Isnt it better to do black bars ala ryse or something like that compared to some 900->1080 translation

Just changed my preorder to XB1. Now I see why its worth the extra $$

welcome to the forums ?

derFeef

OMG HOW CAN IT LOOK BETTER NO OCCLUSION NONAA No NOTHONG 5O9% LESS PIXELS SHADERS ARE CLUSTERFORMED ANDBLOOK AT TJATBLIGHTNING TAJMAHAL HAMANAHAMANAHAMANA.

am I on gamefaqs.

daxter01

8/8/2010 Blackace was here
after reading this thread I realized I like the look of Red Dead Redemption on ps3 more better colors>>>>> resolution,frame rate and AA

Mascot

Each time I go to my friends' and we watch/play something on their tv, I die a little inside. When it's not plain factory settings, they have sharpness set at 100 and brightness/contrast are oversaturated. I'm not even an image nazi, but on huge 50" displays, the results are incredibly bad. And they seem to genuinely love it that way.

As is their right.

Could someone please explain -- preferably in a non-condescending / defensive way pls -- why the PS4 version look so blurry compared to XBO in a lot of the pictures?
ctrl f durante on this page or the last page (or ctrl f my name) it's been explained :p
(upscaling and post process AA cause it)

lets do some group reading shall we??

weird...that the people that have actually, ya know SEEN the game on a TV in front of them would feel this way...

So the blurry PS4 stuff I'm seeing doesn't exist does it? Ok.
Pretty sure many people here in the thread have already explained why the PS4 version is blurry (upscale etc) so why should I ignore that?

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
I have tweeted at Jackfrags asking him if he can supply Blim with some of his footage. Maybe if enough other do the same we might get some.
Select 1440p from the youtube player. That's the original footage he uploaded, unprocessed by youtube, and Blim wouldn't be able to provide any better (unless Jack has something better)

You must be a noble descendant of the PC Master race, I welcome thee in our humble shack. May you not be offended by the stench and the lack of garnishment and opulence, please don't take our lives, you'd only sully your beautiful clothes with our unworthy blood...

lol, nope i play on all formats, just prefer console, and these do look dodgy (i'm going only by these imgs and gifs which all look terribly compressed and low quality)

If its taking this much effort to highlight differences, I don't think ill be caring much.

And I'm an "enthusiast".

Average Joe current gen gamer coming from last gen CoD and BF3 that look like the turds they do will not be whining about baggies when they fireup this game.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
A 720p launch game on a next gen console. I really can't quite believe it.

ekim

Pretty much. Most people have no idea how to judge image quality. Though to be fair, before I learned about it I too used to think more saturation and crushed black = better.

So learning about the tech behind it destroyed your enjoyment? If you initially thought more saturation and crushed blacks look better, you shouldn't trick yourself into not liking it on principle. It happened also for me, when I started learning playing guitar - As soon as I noticed that Green Day only used cheap-ass powerchords I started hating on them.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
I am concerned that despite lower res the xbone one look clearer/sharper in some cases. Really need gamersyde type raw direct capture.

What happens with PS4 in going from a 900p render to output to a 1080p screen. Isnt it better to do black bars ala ryse or something like that compared to some 900->1080 translation

welcome to the forums ?

As stated multiple times in this thread, you can achieve the same look on PS4 by changing TV settings. Its just an oversaturated and oversharpened image.

I believe, the Digital Foundry images and video seem to have been captured with limited RGB colour depth, which increases the contrast. Some sort of sharpening seems to also have been applied during the capture process(?)

It's similar to why when you go to a store all the TVs are set to like maximum contrast and sharpness.

That doesn't mean that there won't be blur in the PS4 version, it's 900p being upscaled with FXAA as noted above.

So what I get from the thread is this.. The difference in price between the PS4 and Xbox one isn't due to Kinect but rather a fancy 100 dollar scaler.

Seriously though.. I don't feel as bad for people getting Xbone versions of multiplats, if the scalar and the more pop in colours can bring games to the level of PS4 versions subjectively. Then again this may be just one game.. we'll see how the scaler fairs against PS4 versions of other games, but this is interesting to say the least... didn't see any of this coming.

In the end, though, no matter how the images look at the close (and it's clear PS4 wins), on a technical spectrum what this highlights is even more damning.

We're talking about a game on PS4 that not only fifty percent more pixels on screen thanks to the resolution, but also has a better framerate, AO and other features. We're talking about a game that just on a technical perspective is dominating the XBO. So, that part of the argument people have been having around launch games is over - there are major, HUGE differences.

In how this one title runs, yes there certainly is. I imagine Ghosts will be even more glaring in Sony's favor, in the aliasing and texture detail department anyways.

In the end though what those PS4 numbers translate to on screen isn't as glaring as the stat sheets imply. Sony has said that the real gap in power won't be seen for another three years and judging from what we've seen so far that's true. If all that extra power resulted in the comparative difference in visual returns we're seeing now throughout nextgen, then I think PS4 fans might be disappointed.

Mung

The problem is that you can pick comparisons that favor either syste:

Here, the X0 version looks better to me:

While here, the PS4 is way better:

So I can definitely understand why there is no real consensus.

That said, objectively and seeing both versions in motion, the PS4 version wins by a huge margin.

'Consensus' is irrelevant - there probably isn't full consensus for a single real issue worldwide. All the objective facts point towards ps4 and that's what matters. Anyone can come out with a random subjective opinion.

Also, I find it interesting that out of all the media outlets, it just happened to be DF who 'fucked it up' - conveniently (in view of their recent articles) muddying the water enough for people to latch onto.

Jabba

Banned
This is literally why TV and monitor manufacturers crank up the gamma and sharpness to crazy levels. Benq vindicated I guess for having the most awful presets of any monitor manufacturer.

I'm actually shocked that people love this.

Same as turning one audio component a little louder when buying them. The difference is heard as "better".

Review event? No tinkering with HDMI settings? Dev-Kits?

Well fuck this. I'll be back for a proper comparison on retail consoles, with a retail version of the game.

FranXico

Has DF ever been accused of releasing "bad footage" before? Or is this all convenient now? I've not really seen one of their breakdowns.

Yes, they have used less than optimal settings while capturing in the past.
It looks like the rush to get the comparison up has made the PS4 version colors look softer than they actually are.

Check the JF videos instead to get a better idea of how the colors are like, but YT compression will hurt other things. :/

These last few pages are amazing, bravo

This whole thing reminds me of EQ settings on Beats by Dre headphones, it's really interesting. I'm surprised nobody has tried to sell "premium texture packs" DLC or something of the sort that just messes with the game's contrast/saturation settings and puts an instagram filter over the whole thing.

The PC gaming community does all of the above with free mods, many people prefer the overdone effects.

A good litmus test would be asking people if they prefer the overblown colors and contrast of SAMOLED panels over the color calibrated IPS LCDs that Apple uses. The answer might surprise you.

Toma

So what I get from the thread is this.. The difference in price between the PS4 and Xbox one isn't due to Kinect but rather a fancy 100 dollar scaler.

Seriously though.. I don't feel as bad for people getting Xbone versions of multiplats, if the scalar and the more pop in colours can bring games to the level of PS4 versions subjectively. Then again this may be just one game.. we'll see how the scaler fairs against PS4 versions of other games, but this is interesting to say the least... didn't see any of this coming.

But it didnt bring it to PS4 levels. The DF footage is bad, and you should watch the Jackfrags videos. The difference, especially considering the resolution, is bigger than almost anything else from ps3-360 multiplats.

bGanci

Banned
From what i see PS4 overall looks better but not by much...even with it being 900p and a 30-50 percent hardware difference it doesn't overwhelm you as much as you would expect. Both games look great...For some reason XB1 appears to be more pleasing to look at....But you can't argue with the "Jaggies" that appear on the XB1 version.

Kaako

Felium Defensor
You keep saying this... But you do realize that the sound chip is mainly used for Kinect audio processing, right? It doesn't provide any meaningful advantage as far as we know...
As far as you know, you mean. You are welcome. Don't judge me; god knows my heart.

bidguy

Banned

lol what are you 12 ?
grow up

Top Bottom