• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[DF] Mafia 2 DE: All consoles tested - What's up with PS4 Pro Performance?

Thomas Morgan breaks down the Mafia 2 remaster, released last week

A decade on from its original release Mafia 2 gets the remaster treatment. New textures, improved POM and more bring this second entry up to date on PS4 and Xbox One - and yet something is amiss with its frame-rate. PS4 Pro in particular suffers unique drops unseen on other machines, though all consoles struggle to hold 30fps.

Screenshot-58.png

Screenshot-59.png

Screenshot-60.png

- Interiors beautifully laid out, attention to detail remains
- most notable update is use of parallax occlusion maps
- boost shadows all around and texture filtering improved
- One X runs 1800p
- XBO runs at 1080p dynamic resolution, lowest it goes is 900p
- Base PS4 runs at stock 1080p
- Pro runs at 1440p
- One X and Pro get high setting of PC for shadows
- Pro and One X are visually identical to each other outside of resolution
- XBO dips below 30fps especially during asset streaming transitions while driving
- Similar problem on base PS4, but quote as prominent, though during a car chase scenario both base consoles struggle
- Pro is worst performing version of the bunch, sometimes dropping to 20fps in interiors

Screenshot-61.png

- Segments of the map, like driving through an underpass, seem locked to 20fps on Pro
- One X solves many of the issues, like the interior dips are not as present, but still has drop into 20s in the same underpass as Pro, but overall X is much better equipped to handle the engine

Screenshot-62.png

- Glitches galore

Last edited:

YCoCg

Sadly they didn't go into the PC version much seeing as there's a massive performance loss compared to the original version, updated textures shouldn't cause that much of an issue. On the flip side, PC version, apparently there's a lot of leftover content "accidentally" included, so modders might be able to make something with it.

dotnotbot

Now it seems like that malysian ps store price was fair...

There was an error on malysian ps store and it was free for an hour or two on realease day

Last edited:

Hans Bubby

Banned
this concerns me for the quality of the "remake" of Mafia. Saints Row 3 remake is running at 60 fps and has more going on. No excuse for this to perform like trash.

SR3 is a remaster. Mafia 1 is going to be a remake, meaning its being rebuilt from the ground up. Calm down.

kiphalfton

These guys apparently suck at porting games. I would be very hesitant with Mafia 1 remake, from the way people are talking about thr second and third game.

Cant believe we're getting these super crappy remasters this late into the console cycle, for a game that is 10 years old.

Last edited:
So it's a next gen leasy remaster that performs like shit on last gen. Is this going to be a trend, beacuse F**k that shit!

Why no 1080p locked 30 fps on pro? Same for X with a 60 FPS mode?

CyRuZ

Banned
Want 60fps? You have to wait for the PS5/XSX port late 2020, early 2021. It's 2K we're talking about. So every dime has to be squeezed out of this.

Thugmatic

Neo Member
Whats the point of remaster if your hitting sub 30 fps on both X and pro... Drop the resolution or give us the option..

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
This is ridiculous, I played this game at solid 60fps on a gtx 260 (not even half the gpu on regular ps4):

Yes but it did not looked like this, well it's not like it's huge difference. Don't forget, that nVidia calculate Tflops differently and I think that Q6600 with hyper-threading still has more punch then 8-core Jaguar, especially on higher clock speed. Not sure if you have that overclocked, but Q6600 was notorietly good overclocking piece of CPU.

Allandor

This is ridiculous, I played this game at solid 60fps on a gtx 260 (not even half the gpu on regular ps4):

Well, the xb360 version also plays flawlessly on xbox one (via BC). I really don't know what they did, but it might just the engine. The engine is quite old and was just "upped" for the newer hardware. It did never scale good, especially with physx.
I really hope for my favorite part 1 of the Mafia games. With a new engine it is a remake of the classic game. I hope that the newer engine better suits the current hardware-base.

Top Bottom