• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DF: Mafia 3 PS4 (Pro) patch 1.05

Caayn

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aZMRPKkDtfs

PS4 Pro changes over the base PS4:
  • 1440p ( incl. downsampled to 1080p when you output at 1080p)
  • Improved spotlight shadow quality in dark scenes.
  • Improved motion blur.
  • Drops lower than the base PS4, but doesn't tear. (v-sync)
  • Shooting causes the framerate to drop (shotgun shots can cause drops to 26fps for example). Holds 30fps most of the time.

PS4 changes:
  • Framepacing issues have been fixed.
  • Tears - adaptive v-sync.
  • Minimum recorded 27fps.

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aZMRPKkDtfs

PS4 Pro changes over the base PS4:
  • 1440p ( incl. downsampled to 1080p when you output at 1080p)
  • Improved spotlight shadow quality in dark scenes.
  • Improved motion blur.
  • Drops lower than the base PS4, but doesn't tear. (v-sync)
  • Shooting causes the framerate to drop (shotgun shots can cause drops to 26fps for example). Holds 30fps most of the time.

PS4 changes:
  • Framepacing issues have been fixed.
  • Tears - adaptive v-sync.

From Software take note! Seems like a great fix for base PS4 owners.

OP you might want to add these three points as well:

The lowest recorded drop on PS4 Pro is 26fps
The lowest recorded drop on PS4 is 27fps with screen tearing

Frame pacing has not been fixed on the Xbox One

Looks like a bad Pro patch, good for PS4 base owners.

Downsampling from 1440p and better shadows and motion blur is a bad patch now?

Oh right because that literally 1 frame that dropped.

Let's complain! And then force them to take out Downsampling like TLOU and complain again!

Let's complain! And then force them to take out Downsampling like TLOU and complain again!

Yeah, fuck that noise. 1 frame drop? INCONCEIVABLE!! Fuck ND too for listening to constant bitching about this bullshit.

Those frame drops noted don't seem super intense, considering the base PS4 version seems to have its own struggles (though perhaps not quite as severe) in the same areas.

I think I'm going to grab this game next time I'm aware of a 29.99 pricepoint. Really want to check out the story.

Cartho

Some people are just unbelievable. This seems like a great pro patch. No one is going to notice a 1 FPS drop when comparing the two versions. Not without high end equipment.

thatJohann

Some people are just unbelievable. This seems like a great pro patch. No one is going to notice a 1 FPS drop when comparing the two versions. Not without high end equipment.

That's the downside of digital foundry - they make it seem like a dropped frame here and there means more than it does.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Game can look *very* nice on a Pro sometimes, despite looking a bit hazy.Here's a few taken from my own Pro with the latest patch. 4K down sampled to 1080p via PS4s capture feature. Haven't noticed any frame drops in my personal experience, but maybe that's because I try to stealth through fights as much as possible and when needed, use a machine gun for longer range combat, no shotguns as Lincoln can die very easily.

mafiaiii_201701041759aaslp.png

mafiaiii_201701062153rcsgi.png

mafiaiii_201701062153xsswv.png

mafiaiii_201701042015o6s3r.png

mafiaiii_20170105192311ste.png

mafiaiii_2017010321086msiq.png

No_Style

That's the downside of digital foundry - they make it seem like a dropped frame here and there means more than it does.

No they don't? The video states the facts. The patch does drop more on occasion but overall performance is solid and the image quality improvements are welcomed. Tom was very fair in his assessment of the situation.

Ultimately, all this needless tension about framerate vs image quality would be moot if Sony would just give Pro owners the ability to force Standard mode and opt out of these Pro upgrades users didn't want any performance penalties whatsoever.

It's more the expectations of the Pro. I don't think many envisioned dropping below PS4 and actually expected no drops at 30fps considering more than twice the GPU power and overclocked CPU.

adamsapple

No they don't? The video states the facts. The patch does drop more on occasion but overall performance is solid and the image quality improvements are welcomed. Tom was very fair in his assessment of the situation.

Ultimately, all this needless tension about framerate vs image quality would be moot if Sony would just give Pro owners the ability to force Standard mode and opt out of these Pro upgrades users didn't want any performance penalties whatsoever.

There's no needless tension, you're making a bigger deal out of it than there needs to be.

No one in their right mind would trade off a higher resolution, better motion blur, better shadow quality and no screen tearing for a loss in 1 FPS more in STRESS COMBAT situations.

Tom has always been a harsh critic of frame drops, so that's nothing new. I am extremely happy with the Pro version personally, wouldn't trade it in for a 'base' experience anyway.

Caayn

OP you might want to add these three points as well:

The lowest recorded drop on PS4 Pro is 26fps
The lowest recorded drop on PS4 is 27fps with screen tearing

Frame pacing has not been fixed on the Xbox One
I've added the 27FPS on base PS4 to the OP. 26fps for the PS4 Pro was already there. I've decided to not include the XB1 because it doesn't seem to exhibit performance changes over the previous patch and the video itself is PlayStation focused.
It's more that people can't decide how the numbers impact them. DF is just pointing out the numbers here.

Mung

I know it's sacrilege here, but I'm happy with one or two barely noticeable framerate drops for the sake of improved image quality.

Ricker

Silly question about downsampling...does this apply or make a difference in anyway if you have a 1080p set only...in other words I cant downsample from 1440p since my max is 1080p or does it simulate that in some way...??

Alpende

Gonna pick this up in the near future. I really liked Mafia 2 but the bad reviews stopped me from buying this one. Now that it's patched and probably plays better than when it initially released I'm gonna give it a try.

Caayn

Silly question about downsampling...does this apply or make a difference in anyway if you have a 1080p set only...in other words I cant downsample from 1440p since my max is 1080p or does it simulate that in some way...??
You can downsample from any resolution higher than your displays resolution. Downsampling isn't limited by your display as the original image never reaches it.

It gets downsampled at the source (PS4 Pro in this case) to a 1080p image which is then transmitted to your TV and then displayed like any other 1080p image. The only difference is that downsampling works a kind of AA on steroids, its really effective but as a high performance cost compared to more conventional AA methods.

1. PS4 Pro - Renders the game internally at 2560*1440
2. PS4 Pro - Determines the resolution output.
2a PS4 Pro - If 1080p -> image gets downsampled to 1920*1080
2b PS4 Pro - If 2160p -> image gets upscaled to 3840*2160
2c etc. etc.
3 PS4 Pro - Adjusted image gets transmitted over HDMI to your display
4 Display - Displays the image. (The display is completely unaware that the image was originally rendered at 2560*1440)

iTehDroiD

Neo Member
Downsampling is for 1080p output only. It will render in 1440p and then downsample to 1080p for your Full HD TV.

Patch has actually been there since the PS4 Pro launch - the game is fine and looks far better than PS4 - that 1 fps drop? I've never even noticed it.

Nameless

That's a strange opinion considering the core game play is one of the games only redeeming qualities on the game side of things. It's got probably the strongest open world gameplay I've played this gen, honestly.

This is an even stranger opinion in a world where MGSV exists. Abysmal A.I., horrible stealth mechanics, glichy & distracting physics...yeah the gunplay felt weighty but it wasn't enough to make me enjoy playing Mafia 3. Which is a shame because when you weren't playing it, the game was fantastic.

1.05 didn't add the PS4 Pro support, it had Pro support at launch. They mention increased shadows and reflections in the patch notes, around patch 1.03 I think. They just don't mention the PS4 Pro directly in the notes.

That's a strange opinion considering the core game play is one of the games only redeeming qualities on the game side of things. It's got probably the strongest open world gameplay I've played this gen, honestly.
The gameplay loop is quite repetitive from what I've seen.

adamsapple

The gameplay loop is quite repetitive from what I've seen.

The general game play loop is good, but this game could have used something akin to a fast travel. The main story content doesn't drag but there are cases where if you take on sub missions, you're asked to travel all the way to the other end of the map, grab a truck and drive all the way to the original end of the map.

It can get very boring and repetitive as the cars don't exactly drive like we're in Watch Dogs 2. At this point, I've stopped doing side quests unless they fall within the path from a story mission to another.

Budi

It can get very boring and repetitive as the cars don't exactly drive like we're in Watch Dogs 2. At this point, I've stopped doing side quests unless they fall within the path from a story mission to another.

Hmm, I liked the driving alot. Especially with the simulated setting turned on. Don't know how cars handle in Watch Dogs 2.

adamsapple

Hmm, I liked the driving alot. Especially with the simulated setting turned on. Don't know how cars handle in Watch Dogs 2.

That's more of a jokey comment on my part, you can literally press X to get a nitro boost on ANY car in Watch Dogs 2 through a skill tree upgrade, even bikes and semi trucks. Just helps get around quicker.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
This is the only game Pro game I've played out of 14 enhanced games that makes my fans go crazy. They are constantly and randomly shifting speeds. It's maddening.

pa22word

This is an even stranger opinion in a world where MGSV exists. Abysmal A.I., horrible stealth mechanics, glichy & distracting physics...yeah the gunplay felt weighty but it wasn't enough to make me enjoy playing Mafia 3. Which is a shame because when you weren't playing it, the game was fantastic.

I, and a lot of other people who played the game, wouldn't really consider mgsv an open world game. It's more of a sandbox in the original, pre-gta 3 sense of the word. Mgsv is like a bunch of Hitman levels strung together that you could theoretically walk through from end to end, but it's not really the point of the game.

And yeah the stealth is bad, but it's almost entirely forgotten the first time you get a shotgun. I don't think I ever used it once outside of the opening hour or so. It's just kinda limping there like a dead appendage of a system and if you want to dock for that it's fine, but considering the game is more than happy to let you forget about it and play with the superb gunplay for the entirety I'm more than happy to appease the developers there. I mean it's kind of like trashing the game's driving because they gave you the option to use that trashy arcade mode thing that makes the game feel like saints row. Just ignore it and have fun.

Also, to the other guy: I'm not sure what the mission structure has to do when we're discussing the core game play. I mean for sure the game is absolutely a fucking tepid slog that I couldn't in good faith recommend to anyone (seriously, anyone--if you're a story buff watch it on yt), but the core shooting and driving mechanics are really damn solid and definitely deserve a nod. Like, if you've played saints row then imagine the game forcing you to do every single block's side content and 80% of the take over junk before you could do a story mission. And unlike saints row, there's only about 3 different set ups for that content. Mafia 3 is a roughly 8-10 hour game that is stretched to the absolute breaking point of about 30 hours through nothing more than mind numbing tedium. Such a weird scenario for an aaa game, because normally it's the mechanics that falter over the structure. But I digress...

GazzaGSi

Patch has actually been there since the PS4 Pro launch - the game is fine and looks far better than PS4 - that 1 fps drop? I've never even noticed it.

I didn't think the game had the res bump at launch?

Even so, I'll take 1440p and afew extra enhancements for the sake of a couple of drops in certain areas. Sounds a decent patch to me, thanks for the info I may pick this up when it drops abit cheaper.

nOoblet16

It's more the expectations of the Pro. I don't think many envisioned dropping below PS4 and actually expected no drops at 30fps considering more than twice the GPU power and overclocked CPU.
And that power is being utilised to run higher resolution, better graphical settings and no tearing at almost the same framerate. It's unreasonable to say that it's worse because it drops slightly more while not considering what it does do better.

Top Bottom