• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[DF] Metro Exodus : a vision for the future of graphics technology (PC)

lukilladog

Sure. They can use probes with light maps or interpolate between different bakes to simulate and allow time of day changes. What are you thinking about?

All of this requires lots of additional setup too.

GI entirely calculated on the fly, what you are talking about to me sounds more like a dynamic "something". Also you seem very familiar with their work, do you know how they made the cgi Artyom trailers, did they use ray tracing?.

True, but make no mistake, ray tracing is the next generational jump in graphics.

Metro Exodus has convinced me of this.

Have you seen GI demonstrations in youtube?, quite the different approach, so much faster and very impressive, that´s what we are getting on next gen games. Also, notice how nobody is missing RT reflections?, it´s something even geeks and nerds can live without.

Last edited:

PhoenixTank

Definitely the best showcase for RT so far. Cost of entry is still too rich for my blood, but I look forward to this being an open standard and mainstream tech in a few years time.
I still have my doubts about Nvidia bringing a direct 7nm shrink of TU102 to the consumer market any time soon, though.

KINDERFELD

Banned
GI entirely calculated on the fly, what you are talking about to me sounds more like a dynamic "something". Also you seem very familiar with their work, do you know how they made the cgi Artyom trailers, did they use ray tracing?.

Have you seen GI demonstrations in youtube?, quite the different approach, so much faster and very impressive, that´s what we are getting on next gen games. Also, notice how nobody is missing RT reflections?, it´s something even geeks and nerds can live without.

RT reflections as seen in Battlefield were a bit distracting and overkill.

Isn't ray tracing a more accurate simulation of real light?

LordOfChaos

Wow, amazing showing for ray tracing. Less so for DLSS, but that's still a nice feature for when you can't get to native, also it does work the reverse way for increasing quality instead too.

Makes me again go back to hoping that the next gen console APUs have at least some support for accelerated ray tracing. This truly does look like a generational difference, much more than even the PC maxed out traditional raster images. If they only get higher PC settings, sure the much better CPU will still allow for more impressive games, but this shows that ray tracing allows a whole 'nother level of blowing you away.

Last edited:

Ulysses 31

http://screenshotcomparison.com/comparison/130323

http://screenshotcomparison.com/comparison/130059

RT GI can make a huge difference, but I wonder how this particular game looks in HDR. In HDR a lot more shadows should be visible without black crush so then RT GI should make a bigger impact. Someone here played metro with RTX and HDR and can share his impressions?
Currently HDR seems broken, the darks are way too bright and more greyish. But I'm sticking with it because the game is fun enough to play.

Last edited:

lukilladog

RT reflections as seen in Battlefield were a bit distracting and overkill.

Isn't ray tracing a more accurate simulation of real light?

Accuracy and precision can be much higher no doubt, but from my point of view they are superfluos. Look at the first shot posted above, if the character looking too dark on the shadow is a problem, that could easily be fixed by tweaking the values of things like direct lighting and subsurface scattering which must be already in the game, in the same way if I wanted interiors to have more shadowing I´d just play with the ambient occlusion values... nothing fancy.

Last edited:
/
Low textures on small objects aside, my my, that raytraced GI really proves its worth. Let me explain below:
  • The rasterized version still looks like a video game.
  • The raytraced version looks more akin to a movie in terms of rendering.
I get The Order 1886 vibes in here, which didn't had RT and had to rely on some very clever placement of light probes. More over, The Order 1886 had relative small environments - This is open world, Crytek style. So not as big as say RDR2, but quite large.

This, without questioning, is a watershed moment for RT and video game rendering in general.

BFV gave a few snippets of the potential but you can tell that Exodus, despite the game not being made with RT in mind, has far better consideration for the tech built in mind when they were making the game. The difference in lighting is staggering and surreal. This is literally a real-time image.

Another awesome feature that got mentioned are the self-shadows when shooting in dark areas. The theatre of shadows that appear in all their variety reminds me of Stalker's dynamic shadow system during thunder, which looked more like a pattern and less natural, but was really impressive back in the day. Exodus seems to have taken that idea and bring it to 2019.

And then there is the fog. It looks brilliantly, even when it causes framerate drops on consoles.

What more is there to say? Without bragging or
popular.png
to DF, this truly highlights the massive potential of raytraced lighting in games, even when it carries a hefty penalty.

Conclusion:
Metro Exodus is THE benchmark game of choice, a true worthy successor to the venerable Crysis. It took almost 12 years, but 4A has taken over the crown from Crytek, even out beating DICE, a game delivering next gen now on PC, with the additional benefit of pushing consoles to new great heights. The new king in technical rendering, and by that, taking its place in video gaming history.

''Would have been much better''

For being such a negative ninny about RTX, there finally is a game that really puts the visual difference out there and yet you are still making strides that it could be much better?

Some people really are never going to be pleased. Its literally a generational difference and bordering on CGI style rendering but yeah..

/thread.

Arkage

Banned
Will definitely have to get this when my 2080mq laptop gets here. Only a 1080p screen so I'm hoping I can run it around 60 w/RTX and high settings. I loved the other Metro games too.

pawel86ck

Banned
Currently HDR seems broken, the darks are way too bright and more greyish. But I'm sticking with it because the game is fun enough to play.
It looks like metro is crushing blacks in SDR on xbox x, but not in HDR and there's also some possible tweaks apparently

Last edited:
Well, that is a much more convincing case for RTX than battlefield 5 was! I just wanted to be on record saying it.

So, better lighting seems to be the more realistic use of the tech for real-time ray tracing with current generation hardware... Unless someone figure a better way to do reflections, as the battlefield 5 (and other minor implementation tests) seemed to point at a noizy image if you wanted to take advantage of the tech, which made the trade-off uninteresting.

pawel86ck

Banned
a2233.png

780ti was always comparable to GTX 970, but in metro 970 has almost doubled 780ti minimum framerates. Guys, Nv is gimping drivers for their old GPU's or what?

kingbean

I made it to the desert and boy I'm getting frame drops like crazy. The game doesn't look good enough to justify beating my GTX1080ti so badly.

I made it to the desert and boy I'm getting frame drops like crazy. The game doesn't look good enough to justify beating my GTX1080ti so badly.

what kind of settings do you have? more for my own curiosity than anything else, i also have a 1080ti and will pick this up sometime in the future

ethomaz

Banned
a2233.png

780ti was always comparable to GTX 970, but in metro 970 has almost doubled 780ti minimum framerates. Guys, Nv is gimping drivers for their old GPU's or what?
Or memory become boottleneck...
Or the games uses features that speed up over 780Ti...
Or 970 is better in DX12...
Or a lot of others variables...

Last edited:
From the official thread.

Nydus said:
have a massive graphic glitch in the kaspian dessert. It started after you have to get the map. Almost all objects and NPC disappear and reappear constantly. No matter if I move the camera or not. Whole system is up to date. Reinstalling drivers with ddu didn't help :( I even tried the physx fixes for the older metro games but no luck. Any ideas???

If you have EXTREME flickering of objects, NPC and textures. Or sometimes the outside being visible in bunkers or anything else. Its NOT your PC. Its the game.

The ONLY way to fix the issue is to restart the whole chapter. Nothing else worked and i tried the following:

-everything up to date
-disabling/uninstalling/manually assigning PhysX
-ingame Vsync
-tesselation
-forcing GPU in windows
-gsync off
-another monitor
-HDR on/off
-DX12/DX11
-every graphics option in the game
-downgrading driver
-DDU driver reinstall
-verifying the game
-trying windowed mode
-trying random stuff in the config file
-reinstalling the whole game (god bless my SVDSL 250)

and NOTHING worked even in the slightest. When assigning PhysX to the CPU it seemed to a help a tiny tiny bit. But was most likely placebo. Only after i restarted the Caspian chapter did the error vanish. I have NO idea how that is even possible. Im PC gaming for 20 years but such a massive, game breaking graphic glitch trough a (maybe) corrupt save file? That never happened before :O

scalman

So i be more then fine on 1060 .thats all i needed to know. Its not best game or best graphics or best animations or best dialogs.. Just couple fancy graphic tricks doesnt change nothing to make game better. Devs should know that allready. Look how deep are old stalker games

scalman

its fine looking game without RTX, so really nothing wow there. new dawn looks very good too, division 2 .
but they need to make it big deal because nvidia need to sell more new gpu's.

Last edited:
Top Bottom