• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DF: Minecraft DXR on Xbox Series X.

Leonidas

*1080p 30-60 FPS
*fully path traced like Minecraft RTX
*quick port from 1 engineer

As expected, AMD hardware path traced visuals still take a huge hit to performance.

Interested to see how performance stacks up against RTX. XSX traditional graphics are said to be on par with a 2080, wonder if the RT performance is as good...

Hopefully we get more examples of console RT performance soon.

Last edited:

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
damn this is insane true RT on a freaking console..
this x series box is running on magnets bitch

Grinchy

Banned
Since they don't have any real next-gen software for a year, this should be there on day 1 to show what the new hardware can do at least.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Is this just a tech demo or are they actually going to release this as an update for the game?

I think they said they were going to release Minecraft RTX officially at some point (like Quake II RTX), but I haven't heard any updates in a long while now.

Last edited by a moderator:

Xdrive05

So then it's probably comparable to the mid to higher-end NV RTX solutions, or at least not too far behind them. That's great!

It's a big effin deal that consoles get competent RT hardware acceleration. That means we get a decent baseline for all future hardware to support RT, as engines will be designed around the consoles' feature sets. So RT optimizations will occur at roughly the spec offered on 4K consoles.

Hopefully the PS5 solution is as good or better.

-Arcadia-

Banned
More so than any of the tech talk, which I will leave to you guys...

I’m just really excited that this tech is coming to console Minecraft (I expect PS5 Minecraft to also have this). I’ve never been more tempted to get into PC gaming as I was when the first mods for this began to hit — it was a combination of the technology being truly impressive in this setting, and also absolutely transforming a game I love and making it even cooler.

Granted, while both the official PC implementation, and this, don’t look quite as good as those early mods, they still have that transformative effect.

I really feel like it’ll be like experiencing the Minecraft world for the first time (in a visual sense) all over again. Exploring caves with natural lighting, underwater ruins with light filtering in from above, naturally lit canyons and grottos half in shadow and light, sunsets and sunrises...

I really hope we see the improved visuals (shaders and such) on console as well, to go with it.

JLB

Banned
Ray Tracing on Minecraft looks SO FREAKING AWESOME! Although I saw the non official RT patch for Minecraft, not sure if the official patch is that good or not. I guess so.

Is this just a tech demo or are they actually going to release this as an update for the game?
Just a tech demo made by one single developer at Mojang who done it and got it running like this on Xbox Series X in just 4 weeks according to DF. People worrying about framerates are not taking any of that into account it here. It's actually more impressive than anything.

StormCell

More so than any of the tech talk, which I will leave to you guys...

I’m just really excited that this tech is coming to console Minecraft (I expect PS5 Minecraft to also have this). I’ve never been more tempted to get into PC gaming as I was when the first mods for this began to hit — it was a combination of the technology being truly impressive in this setting, and also absolutely transforming a game I love and making it even cooler.

Granted, while both the official PC implementation, and this, don’t look quite as good as those early mods, they still have that transformative effect.

I really feel like it’ll be like experiencing the Minecraft world for the first time (in a visual sense) all over again. Exploring caves with natural lighting, underwater ruins with light filtering in from above, naturally lit canyons and grottos half in shadow and light, sunsets and sunrises...

I really hope we see the improved visuals (shaders and such) on console as well, to go with it.

I feel the same way. It's actually quite hard to put it into words how this transforms the experience, isn't it? It's like the path traced lighting finally bridges some uncanny valley gap and the world suddenly feels like it's actually really there. It has some semblance of being like our natural world.

Andodalf

Banned
I'll turn that shit off in a split second to get higher fps. Fuck 30fps anything.
Did you watch the video at all? the literal first thing they said is that it ran above 30fps, they just had video encoded at 30fps. Which is why this vid is a bit juddery, because even this one man port is > 30 fps.

Romulus

Did you watch the video at all? the literal first thing they said is that it ran above 30fps, they just had video encoded at 30fps. Which is why this vid is a bit juddery, because even this one man port is > 30 fps.

But its minecraft. Wouldn't it be more demanding to run Battlefield 6 for ex with RT than minecraft?

I have my doubts that AAA games could run higher fps, and obviously there is a penalty to performance as was mentioned.

Last edited:

stranno

I usually hate texture packs and shaders (Chocapic's water was really cool back in the day tho) but kind of shading fits perfectly with the vanilla texture pack. It looks amazing.

But its minecraft. Wouldn't it be more demanding to run Battlefield 6 for ex with RT than minecraft?

I have my doubts that AAA games could run higher fps, and obviously there is a penalty to performance as was mentioned.
But it's a Microsoft owned IP and battlefield is not, so why would you expect Xbox to do work on a 3rd party title?

Top Bottom