• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[DF] NEED FOR SPEED Hot Pursuit Remastered PS5 vs Xbox Series X

AnotherOne

200.gif

pasterpl

So, ultimately, a game that should have a large amount of overhead on the new machines (based on their unlocked behaviour on the last-gen enhanced consoles) should deliver a flawless experience on their shiny new equivalents. That is the case with PlayStation 5, but the drop is significant enough on Xbox Series X that we would hope to see EA revisit Hot Pursuit Remastered to iron out the problem there - and quite why there are any issues at all is a bit baffling. Meanwhile, the lack of Series S upgrades is also disappointing - there's no technical reason whatsoever why Microsoft's junior next generation console shouldn't be delivering 60fps. Enhancements like crossplay are welcome, but ultimately, the 30fps cap was the only real technological limitation that held back the original game and at full frame-rate, one of the best racing games ever made just feels sublime. Years on from its initial release, Hot Pursuit is still an absolute gem.

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
I also still have PTSD from the McLaren M1 race "The Ultimate Road Car" it was pretty massive difficulty spike, back then I guess...

azertydu91

Hard to Kill
Alright I cant watch the video now but based on how the game is on pc, it is not indicative of anything.
It is just a rushed port that doesn't even look better than the game it is remastering.
The original game was awesome though.

azertydu91

Hard to Kill
So, ultimately, a game that should have a large amount of overhead on the new machines (based on their unlocked behaviour on the last-gen enhanced consoles) should deliver a flawless experience on their shiny new equivalents. That is the case with PlayStation 5, but the drop is significant enough on Xbox Series X that we would hope to see EA revisit Hot Pursuit Remastered to iron out the problem there - and quite why there are any issues at all is a bit baffling. Meanwhile, the lack of Series S upgrades is also disappointing - there's no technical reason whatsoever why Microsoft's junior next generation console shouldn't be delivering 60fps. Enhancements like crossplay are welcome, but ultimately, the 30fps cap was the only real technological limitation that held back the original game and at full frame-rate, one of the best racing games ever made just feels sublime. Years on from its initial release, Hot Pursuit is still an absolute gem.
Thanks for posting the summary, as I said in my previous post, it is no surprise it can't barely be called remaster, it's at best a rushed port.

Last edited:

Umbasaborne

Banned
Playing for the first time on ps5 and holy shit this game is so good! I cant believe i skipped this game in 2010. Its so addicting and i want to keep going back to do better in the time trials and get gold medals. Also on ps5 at 4k 60 it looks so good! At times it can be mis tooken for a native ps4 game.

easily the best need for speed since most wanted (2006) and omg i like nfs heat fine but this is so much better

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
Not gonna lie, I wasnt expecting this. I might pick this up, I liked Hot Pursuit.

Hey Riky Riky unfortunately VRR isn't a silver bullet going by NFS HP Remastered, VRR ain't fixing the bad frame rates on XSX when running on 4K60fps mode :(
This was the first thing that I thought when I heard this.

RIIIKYYY!!!!

lpJEYCL.jpg

DF said its a software issue

This was interesting. On one hand it seems they payed attention to the Hitman discussions. Because they mention at every track that has similar turns, the fps drop.

I get it, but its interesting that the Pro had more stable framerates than the One X, even if the Pro didnt get to 60. And this is something ppl were saying for the awhile. Resolution is great, but fps wasnt always a clear cut advantage for the One X.

So...tools arrived for PS5 BC? Or tools are an issue for XSX?

Stay tuned folks.

Last edited:
it's damn cool to see games slowly getting 4Kwith unlocked frame rate patch for next gen consoles XSX and PS5. Please keep this going dear publishers, with covid and games getting delayed there's so many older games from 2015-2020 that would sell more when these patches roll out.

jroc74

It's not really close :

nfs2.png

Yup, completely locked 60 on PS5. The video was mainly about the XSX, One X issues. They didnt really have anything to say about the PS5.

I'm sure everyone ignored any comments and went straight to compare that one glitchy section that also performs worse on Xbox One X vs PS4 Pro, even though we all know X1X is better hardware.

Its not just one section. Any track with similar turns has the same issue. They mentioned culling? That was in the video. And software was bought up, some of us addressed this.

With DF, its best to watch the video and read the article.

Last edited:
Someone is gonna have to explain to me why this is becoming a trend.

Multiple games now have one area, or one part one level, where performance tanks on Xbox consoles. I don't get why this happens.

What makes this particular case extra interesting is the same problem pops up when comparing One X vs Pro, so it isn't something SSD or I/O related (doesn't One X basically have better everything vs the Pro?). Same problem, same area.

Why is this area of the map only a problem on Xbox consoles, and exist across two different generations?

I would have thought this game would have a 120fps mode on PS5 and XsX. Yet this one part of the map can take the Series X into the 40s, and the One X into the 30s, seemingly at random? Weird.

-------------------------------------

Problem area demonstrated on both One X and Series X

Qdjeqgq.png
n0ssxu3.png

Otherwise the One X was pretty rock solid 60 and PS4 Pro averaged around 50 FPS accoding to John

PS5 is constant locked 60 and XsX is 60 outside of this problem area.

Last edited:

Krisprolls

Banned
DF said its a software issue

DF have been doing damage control like that for every game since day 1, it's not news anymore but it's still hilarious. Obviously, they're the only ones saying this (not VGTech, not NXGamer, nobody else...)

You can't have software issues on every game released on Earth which would each time make the Series X version inferior.

At some point you have to admit PS5 just runs games better and move on.

Concern

It's a weird issue and I'm really curious how or why it occurs, but I still don't think BC games with a patch are the best way to meassure any hardware differences. Not that it's going to stop the usual suspects from really trying.

It only "counts" when it fits the agenda lol. Can't really pay them any mind. They're miserable with their new console. So you can't expect anything more from them 🤣

Missing the tools for XSX, again? :messenger_grinning_squinting:

The issue is exactly the same when comparing One X to the Pro, so I don't think this is hardware related. Is there anywhere the Pro has an advantage over the One X, hardware wise?

Same area of the map tanks performance on both One X and Series X compared to PS4 Pro and PS5. I find it really strange that this is happening.

Last edited:

Evilms

Banned
DF have been doing damage control like that for every game since day 1, it's not news anymore but it's still hilarious. Obviously, they're the only ones saying this (not VGTech, not NXGamer, nobody else...)

You can't have software issues on every game released on Earth which would each time make the Series X version inferior.

At some point you have to admit PS5 just runs games better and move on.
nothing to add

giphy.gif

jroc74

Is this a BC game or does it have a native version?

They say it is running in BC, unless I misunderstood him. Series S is confined to the One S version, etc.

Someone correct me if I am wrong, that's how I heard John explain it.

Its BC. And why its such an odd outcome. They did say this same issue is on the One X. This may have flew under the radar because the One X was doing 60fps, the Pro averaged 50 fps.

It's a weird issue and I'm really curious how or why it occurs, but I still don't think BC games with a patch are the best way to meassure any hardware differences. Not that it's going to stop the usual suspects from really trying.

I agree, its not the best way to measure. Just curious what the folks that usually use it as a way to measure have to say tho....

Last edited:

Tommi84

So...tools arrived for PS5 BC? Or tools are an issue for XSX?
The tools for PS5 are basically PS4's tools so the developers are used to them. XSX tools were changed beginning of last year so the developers needs to 'get used to them'. That being said:

BOOM! Another one for PS5 :p

JackMcGunns

Oh, look, another game that runs better on PS5 with Series X dropping frames like crazy and PS5 locked 60.

Oh look, another person that didn't watch the video and is looking rather silly now. It's a software glitch that also affects Xbox One X, has nothing to do with the hardware, but I'm sure you missed that because it's more important to console war.

I honestly thought this would be 120fps. Even the Jaguar on XB1X holds 60 fps a lot of the time bar the dodgy area.

Exactly. I haven't checked GPU performance charts for this game but I imagine it doesn't take that beefy a setup to run this game at 4k/60 on PC. I would have guessed that both PS5 and XsX have PLENTY of headroom for this.

Like I said earlier, I don't understand the performance hiccup here. If it was just Series vs PS5 you could say it was I/O related but it's the same on One X vs Pro...so I dunno

Last edited:
Top Bottom