• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DF: Nier Automata PS4/PS4 Pro Final Code Comparison + Frame-Rate Test

Just got finished watching. For those who want the summary:
Game runs 1080p on PS4 Pro, 900p on base PS4, with no anti-aliasing or motion blur for the latter
In most instances the PS4 Pro handily beats the PS4 in maintaining a higher framerate, though neither consistently achieves a locked 60 FPS
In some instances, mainly flying segments, the base PS4 actually beats the PS4 Pro in terms of performance
Main issues are high enemy counts and particle effects, though even some quiet scenes make the systems - especially base PS4 - drop significantly

leng jai

Looks like the PC version is the only hope if you want locked 60fps. Was hoping the PS4 Pro performance would be better to be honest.

Is this your first DF video?

They're gonna show gameplay footage lol. Cmon, man.

They might be referring to my post, where I covered up basic summary stuff just to avoid ruining the video for anyone who wants the performance details from the horse's mouth.

Fredrik

Pretty okay considering what's on screen. Hadn't seen some of those scenes before, the game looks like a whole new level of amazing imo!
No release date for the PC version yet?

Looks like the PC version is the only hope if you want locked 60fps. Was hoping the PS4 Pro performance would be better to be honest.
Optimization looks bad all around, we better pray the pc version is actually delayed because unless youre bruteforcing this at 1080p with a high end card i dont see it holding 60fps either

Bebpo

Banned
Game has a lot of tearing and frame drops on Pro from what I've played. Still coming from the Cavia framerates in his other games it's totally fine and way better here. But yeah PC version should be the nicest experience by a solid margin if it can keep a locked 60fps.

gogogow

Yeah, will get on PC. 900p, barely any AF, no AA and dropping far below 60fps, that is pretty bad. While PG never made any games that were locked 60fps, this game also looks like a PS3 game, so I expected a lot better. I'm a huge fan of Cavia's Nier, if I like this one enough, I might double dip and get the PS4 version at a later date when it's cheaper to get the trophies.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
I expected a framerate test and instead got a bunch of spoilers.
I didn't just want to use the demo area - don't worry, the sections included in the video all happen pretty early on.

God damn it ANOTHER Japanese game with frame pacing issues?
No frame pacing issues (as it's a 60hz game anyways) - it just has massive hitches and stutters. A different matter entirely.

dan2026

I didn't just want to use the demo area - don't worry, the sections included in the video all happen pretty early on.

No frame pacing issues (as it's a 60hz game anyways) - it just has massive hitches and stutters. A different matter entirely.
Oh ok. Not that it makes it better.

Feel like this game needed way more optimisation time.

Gurish

900P no AA :/

Game certainly not looking good enough to warrant that, it's painful to see the gulf between first party devs to some of the rest...

dan2026

Kinda wondering whether to cancel my preorder.
Framerate problems kill me.

Plus I don't even know if this game is worth it.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Kinda wondering whether to cancel my preorder.
Framerate problems kill me.

Plus I don't even know if this game is worth it.
I'd keep it. It has issues, no doubt, but the game itself is still extremely engaging and goes to some interesting places. I'm super picky about performance but even I've been totally sucked in. It's really good.

dan2026

I'd keep it. It has issues, no doubt, but the game itself is still extremely engaging and goes to some interesting places. I'm super picky about performance but even I've been totally sucked in. It's really good.
OK. Thanks.

Maybe some of the big problems on Pro might be patched.
Maybe....

Also the people whining about spoilers, what spoilers?
Nothing in that video hasn't been shown in trailers or other media or whatever.
Stop whining.

lupinko

Do you think the cutscenes could ever be patched for pro or in general or no? They're just video right?

Just got finished watching. For those who want the summary:
Game runs 1080p on PS4 Pro, 900p on base PS4, with no anti-aliasing or motion blur for the latter
In most instances the PS4 Pro handily beats the PS4 in maintaining a higher framerate, though neither consistently achieves a locked 60 FPS
In some instances, mainly flying segments, the base PS4 actually beats the PS4 Pro in terms of performance
Main issues are high enemy counts and particle effects, though even some quiet scenes make the systems - especially base PS4 - drop significantly

Appreciate it! Why the spoiler tags tho?

Elandyll

Banned
Disappointing coming from Platinum, particularly for those who own a Pro.

Still no qualms getting the PS4 version, will enjoy playing with 2B on a 55" screen while relaxing on the couch.

massucci

Banned
CPU bottleneck maybe? I played the demo on a Pro and it didn't look that great.

I didn't know that.
Eeer. Platinum game. Doubt it CPU has something to do with this. I don't remind 60 fps games from them without any judder or slowdown. On console, at least.
Well, if we are talking exclusively of the drops on ps4 pro, the only real reason could be the bandwith. But it's extremely strange. 217 GB should be quite enough for 1080/1440p games. It seems this engine doesn't scale well with higher graphic setting.

Game has a lot of tearing and frame drops on Pro from what I've played. Still coming from the Cavia framerates in his other games it's totally fine and way better here. But yeah PC version should be the nicest experience by a solid margin if it can keep a locked 60fps.

Man that sucks i can take some frame drops but tearing kills me .
Might hold off from this for now .

Guymelef

Disappointing coming from Platinum, particularly for those who own a Pro.

Still no qualms getting the PS4 version, will enjoy playing with 2B on a 55" screen while relaxing on the couch.

Coming from Platinum it's pretty normal, they aren't masters of the stable performance...

Does Boost Mode help iron it out if no Pro patch is installed?

Pro Patch? Game is Pro compatible by default.

Top Bottom